northern nsw around Talloom

Go down

northern nsw around Talloom

Post  artrix on Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:57 am

hi been doing some basic research about gold bearing areas around se qld and have come across the area just below the nsw boredr south of stanthorpe. Taloom and the areas around it were once a good gold producing area. Is there anyone with any successful experience using a detector around these parts?

artrix
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 438
Registration date : 2009-12-16

Back to top Go down

northern NSW around Talloom

Post  Hotrocks on Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:21 pm

Gooday artrix,

Suggest you get hold of a copy of "Forgotten Country" by Isobel Wilkinson" she covers all that country from the Lower Clarence to the Qld. border with an in depth coverage of the goldfields, the book is also a great read in it's own right. My best finds were at Lunatic (probably fifteen years ago) with a VLF, plenty of shafts and heaps there plus an old township and racecourse, pub site etc. bit hard to get too, it's on a property North of Drake past the Carrington gold and copper mine owned by Mr Ramsay, a real nice bloke and aproachable. Country is as rough as guts.
I would also check www.malachite.com.au/projects toolum.htm for a lot of excellent info on the area. Silver is the main find further towards Tenterfield, again some very rough country, if I recall rightly D.de H. (patches1) is an authority on silver in this area being (was?)a shareholder in MacMin, the major miner/tenement holder in the area and might be forthcoming with some help if asked. My apologies to people mentioned if my memory is in error!
Where my memory is correct is on the amount of snakes in the area and the ruggerdness of the country, no place for the fainthearted!.
Wish I could be of more help. Regards Hotrocks

Hotrocks
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 122
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Back to top Go down

Re: northern nsw around Talloom

Post  artrix on Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:39 am

Thanks mate for your reply ,it sounds like its an area worth researching.
cheers

artrix
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Chookfoot on Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:24 pm

Hi Artrix,
4 of us had a poke around fraser's gully north of Tabulam last year, lots of old diggings but no gold. think it may be fine gold area.
Stayed at Clarence river wilderness lodge, nice spot with amenities.
Good luck !
Chookfoot
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 122
Registration date : 2009-11-23

Back to top Go down

Post  aushunter on Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:44 pm

G'day fella's,
Tooloom is what you would call a poor man's field.
Most of it is private land and permission is generally needed.
I went down last weekend and scored a bit of color, but there have been nuggets found in the deep back gullies etc.
The property owners have padlocked a lot of the access gates due to people using motorbikes and 4WD's without permission and deliberatly tearing up the tracks.
I've been going down there for 30yrs or so, so I know the owners pretty well.
I think the biggest nugget found was the LadyBowen Nugget, which was a 80oz slug and that was found at Billy mays point.
But like I said, things have been locked up pretty well due to the idiots that think they can just roll up anytime and do whatever they want.
Brad..
aushunter
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2010-03-05

Back to top Go down

Post  shandeemax on Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:07 am

Would have to agree with Brad, I've done a fair of looking around the general area - Drake, Tabulam, Pretty Gully, areas around the Clarence river wilderness lodge etc including some old diggings that have most likely never seen detectors & haven't scored a nugget yet My brother also has a property in the Drake area that is near to a gold mine that they open & close at regular intervals depending on the price of gold, but I've yet to find anything around there either.

I'm sure they must be there somewhere but I haven't found any yet. There is quite a bit of fine gold around the area though & if you take a pan you'll find colour in most of the major creeks & rivers.

As Brad mentioned, can be difficult to get access to many areas.
Cheers
shandeemax
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 143
Registration date : 2008-10-24

Back to top Go down

Post  shandeemax on Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:03 pm

I forgot, a couple of things not in short supply around there - ticks & leeches. Never ending supply it seems
shandeemax
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  aushunter on Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:17 pm

I never had a problem with either of those 2 pests, I mainly encounter Mozzies and snakes, mainly the Brown and Tiger snakes.
The Black snakes are there but they tend to take a hike real quick. This last weekend down there I also came across a Scorpion making tracks to where i was standing.
Back to the gold, I have seen 1oz plus bits come out of there years back, so it is still there but up in the deep gullies, 4WD country.
Get the Forgotten Country book, some good reading in that.
HH and cheers
Brad..
aushunter
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  shandeemax on Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:29 pm

I know what you mean about the snakes - get lots of red bellied blacks & occasional browns around my brothers property outside Drake. You've done well if you've avoided the ticks & leeches though - heaps of them in most of the places I've been to places like the bushland near the Timbarra & Clarence rivers as well as the mountain rainforest areas.

You've certainly seen more gold come out of the area than I have - have spoken to a few of the old timers in the area who make mention of some good gold - but never actually seen any.

I'll see if I can find a copy of the Forgotten Country sounds a pretty interesting read.

Cheers Andy
shandeemax
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  aushunter on Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:41 pm

This is what I got last weekend, not much but as I say, gold is gold.

Heres a little bit more, I mainly got this crevicing, I built a Banjo and it seems to be the go down there.
I had a mate, he is not here anymore amongst us, and I told him of a drive in one of the gullies.
Told him to check it out as I can see some quartz at the entrance. He went down the following weekend and scored 2 1/2oz of the stuff.
I could of kick myself, but that just wouldn't look right. He was a good mate, God bless.

Brad...
aushunter
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  shandeemax on Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:46 pm

Some nice photos there Brad. I tend to chase the bigger stuff, but like you say gold is gold & it looks good at any size. Sounds like you take care of your mates like I do as well Nevermind we do these things sometimes hey

The amount of rain we've been getting might just flush a bit more of the good stuff out for you, at least I hope so.
Cheers,
Andy
shandeemax
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  aushunter on Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:03 pm

Gday Andy,
I am in the process of saving up a few bucks and getting a 2nd hand Minelab, probably a SD2100.
I have been detecting for about 13yrs doing the beach and underwater side of things, but have been prospecting since I was 16yrs of age, man thats a long time ago.
I definently want to get into the bigger stuff, but for now I'll just save up the pennies and cash in a bit of Alluvial gold and I'll eventually get what I want.
Cheers
Brad..
aushunter
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  shandeemax on Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:43 pm

Gday Brad,
I don't think you'd go too far wrong with a 2100 although if you could stretch a little further to a 2200 or extreme, I think there are some advantages. Mind you, I never actually owned a 2100 - started with a Garrett A2B & then got the SD2000 when they came out - didn't upgrade again until the Extreme & then got every new one as soon as they came out & pulled a bit more gold with each successive one. I do remember what a pleasant surprise it was going from the 2000 to the Extreme - couldn't believe how quiet it ran after the 2000

Anyway, whatever machine you start with it wont take too long before you start getting into the bigger bits, especially with all that prospecting experience behind you - you'll have a pretty good idea of where to go no doubt - & then the gold you find can start paying for upgrades to better machines.
Wish you all the best with it.
Cheers
Andy
shandeemax
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  artrix on Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:36 pm

prepare yourselves another dumb question coming.......whats a banjo?

Last edited by artrix on Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:37 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : more info)

artrix
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  aushunter on Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:23 pm

G'day Artrix,
A Banjo is a Sluice system that is power by a pump.
Basically it is set up on the bank and you shovel gold bearing dirt into it.
A classifier screen on top seperates the large upwanted rocks etc out and the smaller gravels containing the gold
is then carried to a lower box over riffles and bingo, hopefully a bit of gold.

But there are a number of different types out there, they work pretty well.

Brad....
aushunter
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:13 pm

nice set up Brad! what is it made of? looks like timber but not? Also what pump do you use?

ps. like the AGP sticker! Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  artrix on Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:16 pm

ok I get it ...... are these legal in rivers and streams in most australian states, or it it just suction dredges?
cheers

artrix
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  aushunter on Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:32 pm

I know you can use them in NSW, but not QLD.
As long as you shovel the dirt in manually, you haven't a worry, but check local laws to be on the safe side.
Its a bit of a grey area.
MT, my Banjo is made of marine ply, but the next one will of Aluminium.

And will fold up into a little package

But at the moment I am building a small mini sluice to clean up concentrates, which is faster than panning.

This little unit will run from a 12V battery and it is very effective for fine gold recovery.
Happy hunting and cheers
Brad...

PS mt, the pump I use is off my old 2.5" gold dredge and I got it sitting on top of an old milk crate.
aushunter
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  artrix on Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:45 pm

cheers thats really cool

artrix
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:53 pm

Thanks mate!

Back to top Go down

Post  aushunter on Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:24 am

Here ya go Mick

Brad...
aushunter
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

hey Brad

Post  madmaverick on Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:48 pm

hi there Brad,, if you are ever after some company/assistance on any of your trips just sing out, you sound like a guy who could teach us a bucket load, and we are very keen to learn, have a 4wd, detector, pans, classifiers etc so would definately not be a burden to you, apart from all the questions lmao,,, we are in Brisbane so very close to you and bloody keen

your call m8
happy hunting
Steve and Lea
madmaverick
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 210
Registration date : 2010-07-26

Back to top Go down

Talloom - Prospecting for Gold

Post  smoky on Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:41 am

Hi guys

I've just bought myself a Minelab X-Terra 705 Dual and if anyone is going out there soon on a weekend, and don't mind company of a newby at this gold detecting (have been beach detecting for last 15 years), then please let me know. I have a 4x4 and would like to try out my new detector but don't know the area that well. I'm moving to teach for the next 2 terms at Tweed River High in Tweed Heads, and would like to get to know of any areas that are accessible to detect without much hassle for weekends in the future, so if any more areas come to mind please let me know.

Just a question though, can't find Talloom on Google Maps or anywhere on any map, where is it in context to other towns of note? Smile

Cheers
Stuart

smoky
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2012-04-11

http://swalsh.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post  artrix on Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:21 am

its near drake i think

artrix
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Northern nsw around talloom.

Post  ron allen on Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:40 pm

HI people, the book forgotten country may stil be available at grafitn historic society, i think they have 3 for sale $30.00 plus postage isobel wilkinson also wrote corn meat and damper, and i think 1 other but i dont know the name, i had the email adress but cant find it , RON

ron allen
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2011-11-20

Back to top Go down

Post  gedanate on Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:16 pm

I just tried a search for Grafton Historical Society, but all G. could offer me was the Clarence River Historical Society. They have a few historical books for sale, but not the one in question. You may need to go to the State Library to view a copy. They do have it.

http://www.clarencehistory.org.au/
gedanate
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2015-05-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down