GARRETT ATX ????????

Page 5 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12 ... 20  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: GARRETT ATX ????????

Post  Mike54 on Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:22 pm

spinifex wrote:Should the Garrett ATX Extreme be compared with the Minelab CTX 3030 and not the GPX 5000
G'day spinifex,

The ATX is a PI and the CTX 3030 is a VLF. So there is no similarities, but the GPX's are PI's.
hope this helps. Very Happy 

Cheers.

Mike. cheers 

Live long and prosper.......... cheers

Mike54
Management

Number of posts: 3582
Registration date: 2012-02-14

Back to top Go down

Post  kim on Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:32 pm

Okay Adrian, I probably deserved that comeback as I didn't quite make the question clear enough. Very Happy  Let me try again.

If the ATX handles interference very well, how close to the electronics in the control box do you think the coil can be positioned when the machine is turned on?

kim
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts: 287
Registration date: 2009-02-18

http://www.wagoldtours.com.au

Back to top Go down

Interesting thread

Post  Guest on Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:13 pm

I had to register just to ask - why did anyone here think the Garrett ATX was going to outperform a GPX 5000? I have a GPX 5000 and am getting the ATX but never in my wildest dreams did I ever think the ATX would hit smaller gold than a GPX, or that it would come close to hitting large gold as deep. I know you guys have different cost ratios in Oz but an ATX costs less than half what a GPX costs in the US and that is not even counting the waterproof milspec housing the ATX is in.

Is there a bunch of hype going on somewhere I have been missing out on?

Last edited by Steve Herschbach on Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:16 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling)

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:19 pm

[quote="kim"]Okay Adrian, I probably deserved that comeback as I didn't quite make the question clear enough. Very Happy  Let me try again.

If the ATX handles interference very well, how close to the electronics in the control box do you think the coil can be positioned when the machine is turned on?
[/quote]

hi kim
one of the pro-mo's released said that the unit could be used with the stem retracted, this was one of my concerns as it an indication that it is not
as sensitive as other machines.
it can't have anything that makes it not see interference and still have full sensitivity as that is illegal to do with metal detectors.
will be interesting to get one in the field.
cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  davsgold on Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:21 pm

Well well, at least there is some discussion which is a good thing.

I agree, the test was done in very much less than ideal conditions, was this the fault of the people in attendance to watch the test, NO it wasn't it's just where the Garrett dealer decided to run the test. He was happy for the other person to get out there GPX5000 (aurumpro) and told him to do his best.

I would have liked to see it taken down the "paddock" to where some gold had been found in the past and some much more serious testing done there, this didn't seem to be going to happen, not right then anyway, so we could only judge by what was right there before our own eyes.

The couple of comparisons that were done right there and then were all we had to go on for now, and the test results that aurumpro reported were as described, nothing more nothing less.

As already stated in previous posts the ATX has some very good positive points which were pointed out and some negative point also which were pointed out, this is not a witch hunt against Garrett machine, just a description of what was observed on the day for about a half hour of playing/testing the machine.

I will say again it was about equal if not slightly better on very small gold than the GPX5000 with both machines running DD coils of similar size, sure it would have been good to take them both to a "test bed" but that never happened on this occasion.

It did run more stable than the GPX5000 in the area that it was being tested in, this is also a plus, as there is still gold in EMI infested places yet to be found.

It would have been great if Garrett had supplied some mono coils to test with as well, this never happened so until someone gets some mono coils for it then its only a guess as to how it will perform on mineralized gold field soils in Aus as far as I am concerned.

It was certainly a let down for me when the large nugget was waved over the coil and the response a lot less distance than what was achieved with the GPX5000 under the same conditions in the exact same spot as the Garrett ATX was being tested.

Was this test biased, no, it was the Garrett dealer who chose the spot and ran the demo.

People will make up there own mind in the end and time will tell.

cheers dave

davsgold
Management

Number of posts: 2977
Registration date: 2008-10-25

Back to top Go down

Post  kim on Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:11 pm

Hi Fencejumper, thank you, this was along my line of thinking as well.

Bench Testing
You should conduct bench tests to become more familiar with the ATX's audio signals and operation using different Modes, Discrimination settings, Iron Check, etc.Suggested test items include:
‚ÄĘ Various size gold nuggets or gold rings
(In the absence of gold nuggets, a U.S.nickel or small bronze coin are good imitators of the response characteristics of a similar size nugget.)
‚ÄĘ Coins or relics that you expect to find in your search area
‚ÄĘ Various size iron targets for testing the Iron Check feature
The ideal position for bench testing with the ATX is illustrated below.Extend the lower stem and lay the searchcoil back on top of the stem.This allows you to keep one hand near the controls while still reaching the coil with your test targets.
It is best to test the detector outdoors away from sources of electrical interference (e.g.power lines, electrical equipment and appliances, fluorescent lights, transmitters). Tests should be performed with the searchcoil completely stationary and several feet away from any large metallic object.
(The above info was extracted from the Garrett ATX online Manual)

Steve H, welcome onboard! Have you had the opportunity over there to have a go or see this detector in action for your self?  If so I am sure that forum members would be happy to hear any info. You probably haven't missed anything.
One person heard that the ATX performance is equal to the GPX 5000 and felt this information come from a trusted and reliable source so he shared it on the forum and it just rolled from there.  It is interesting for people to share their views and Aussies are quite passionate about their detecting and their detectors, they just love it...they also like to debate Very Happy

kim
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  kim on Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:17 pm

For those who have ordered an ATX early - The first Shipment of ATX machines is on it's way and should be in Australia by next Friday, dealers will receive them the following week. Then we might start getting some more feedback.

kim
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:35 pm

Hi Fencejumper,

To clarify something you said, it's illegal to reduce interference and still have full performance(I hope I got that quote right!!1)

Interference from power lines(mains supply) can be silenced I think it was by anti phasing it which cancels it out, atmospherics(lightening)would be a different matter as would radiospherics but I fail to see what it has to do with full performance and being illegal

Maybe someone would like to explain

Ron

Back to top Go down

-garrett-atx ??????

Post  blisters on Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:48 pm

hi authere, have you by any chance ordered the atx? if the first shipment has been sold out would be interested to know how many members have put there hand up for one already. also wonder how many units their are in a shipment?

blisters
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts: 1892
Registration date: 2011-03-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:52 pm

[quote="authere"]Hi Fencejumper,

To clarify something you said, it's illegal to reduce interference and still have full performance(I hope I got that quote right!!1)

Interference from power lines(mains supply) can be silenced I think it was by anti phasing it which cancels it out, atmospherics(lightening)would be a different matter as would radiospherics but I fail to see what it has to do with full performance and being illegal

Ron[/quote]
hi ron
section 15 of the fcc rules state

operation is subject to the two conditions
1. the device must not cause harmfull  interference
and
2. the device must accept any interference received, including interference that may cause undesirable operation.

cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  madtuna on Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:56 pm

fencejumper wrote:2. the device must accept any interference received, including interference that may cause undesirable operation.

cheers
Hi FJ, I'm pretty sure that refers to interference from external sources not from itself

Last edited by madtuna on Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

madtuna
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts: 1572
Registration date: 2008-11-15

http://www.wagoldtours.com.au/

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:02 pm

that is a very good point steve.. I reckon you are right.... my mistake
cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  madtuna on Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:06 pm

No probs FJ.
as Kim said, if the ATX can operate in the fully closed position, I can see that being an asset when snorkeling in that first 3 or 4 foot of water at the beach, providing it is capably of operating successfully in a salt water environment that is.

Last edited by madtuna on Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:01 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : because Chuck Norris told me to and nobody says no to Chuck Norris)

madtuna
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts: 1572
Registration date: 2008-11-15

http://www.wagoldtours.com.au/

Back to top Go down

Post  goldchaser on Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:12 pm

kim wrote:For those who have ordered an ATX early - The first Shipment of ATX machines is on it's way and should be in Australia by next Friday, dealers will receive them the following week. Then we might start getting some more feedback.
Do you sell garretts kim????

goldchaser
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts: 315
Registration date: 2009-03-20

Back to top Go down

Post  shiraz on Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:35 pm

Don't know if this video has been put up before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tIxRyTRZWc&feature=player_embedded

shiraz
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts: 2018
Registration date: 2010-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post  kim on Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:57 pm

Hi Goldchaser
Yes we do sell Garrett.  The information regarding shipment only come to hand this afternoon.  There are some anxious customers waiting on delivery from all dealers.  The machine was supposed to be here already but there was a delay.  Just for the record we also sell Minelab and there are approx. 5  Minelab Dealers that sell Garrett as well. The list below might help people if they wish to go and view the detector. Because of the supply shortage it might be best to call first to see if they have a machine there for viewing.

Garrett Dealers

kim
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa on Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:01 pm

Aurumpro,
if it was good at picking up long time constance targets even on max sensitivity in air it would have had no trouble with the 3ozer mate it can't get any better than this it can only get worse in mineralization
Much like FBS detectors, good at air tests, but bad in ground performance over mineralization.

What if the ATX has a better way of dealing with mineralization, it may well see your bigger nuggets at depth. Skin effect, orientation combined  with mineralization play a big part in the timings ability to saturate the target. Without proper in ground tests, you may have come to the wrong conclusion using one 3oz nugget.??.

That DD coil used on the ATX boasts ability to smaller gold and sweep speed, perhaps its not the better choice for depth.?? If it displays better ability to smaller gold in bad EMI areas, that could mean the difference of you walking away from the spot with your GPX goldless....or using the ATX and going home... NOT goldless.
Worth a thought im my opinion as it was picked up by obviously more than one at the testing.. scratch

You pointed out along with Dave, its ability to work in bad EMI areas, so why when  money is no object would you not add it to your collection as a profesional would.??
You added a 30/30 to your collection,  yet its no better at recognizing a coin on its edge vs flat then its FBS siblings.??

The cable connection of the ATX was picked up in the video, yet the Ml range have never altered their flawed design, we just got use to it and spend money on gadgets to try and over come it.
Realigning the coil to the ground is an age old problem, we've been doing it for years on the ML range....why worry about it on a detector half the price.??

Perhaps we jump the gun a little early picking out its faults, yet failing to remember the faults we deal with now that have never been rectified.....they just get more expensive with new each model.
Garrett have stepped up to the plate by the looks and given us something to ponder. This $4k detector just might pay for the ML super detector in time to come in areas unsuited to the GPX....the mind boggles doesn't it??.Shocked Laughing

Ps, dont blend a pondering mind with a boggling mind, there maybe side effects. lol! 

Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts: 1426
Registration date: 2008-10-22

http://australiangoldfields.freeforums.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:33 pm

Hi Blisters,

No, not planning to unless they did do better than what I already have

I noticed that they are only $2500 in the US+postage

Hi Fencejumper,

Thanks for the clarification it was as clear us mud, with number 2, why wouldn't you get rid of the interference...anyways I use and abusem who cares how there made

The ATX uses multi frequencies in transmit to work in noisy grounds, so that's different to M/L and they quoted to turn down the volume control to hear the larger deeper nugg's

They can come with three coils 15x20mono,12x15DD and 8 mono

Ron

Back to top Go down

Post  goldchaser on Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:42 pm

kim wrote:Hi Goldchaser
Yes we do sell Garrett.  The information regarding shipment only come to hand this afternoon.  There are some anxious customers waiting on delivery from all dealers.  The machine was supposed to be here already but there was a delay.  Just for the record we also sell Minelab and there are approx. 5  Minelab Dealers that sell Garrett as well. The list below might help people if they wish to go and view the detector.  Because of the supply shortage it might be best to call first to see if they have a machine there for viewing.

Garrett Dealers
Oh ok
You gonna rent out ATX's?

goldchaser
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  kim on Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:22 pm

It would be a good idea to have a couple for Hiring. It looks easy to use which is very beneficial for a new/day user. If people were undecided about purchasing one it would also give people opportunity to try before they buy.

kim
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  mullockgrubber on Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:34 pm

fencejumper wrote:
authere wrote:Hi Fencejumper,

Ron
hi ron
section 15 of the fcc rules state

operation is subject to the two conditions
1. the device must not cause harmfull  interference
and
2. the device must accept any interference received, including interference that may cause undesirable operation.

cheers
In Australia we are governed by the Australian Communications and Media Authority. FCC applies to the U.S.A.

mullockgrubber
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts: 573
Registration date: 2011-11-01

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:55 pm

yes we are....but the detectors are made to conform to those rules regardless if it's minelab/garrets/whites or they can't be sold over seas.
they don't make a different detector to suit each country's rules.
cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:13 pm

kim wrote:Okay Adrian, I probably deserved that comeback as I didn't quite make the question clear enough. Very Happy  Let me try again.

Stem/shaft Fully closed with the coil extended. I don't know about with the coil folded back in the stowage position.
A lot of thought and R&D has gone into the ATX.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:16 pm

Steve Herschbach wrote:I had to register just to ask - why did anyone here thing the Garrett ATX was going to outperform a GPX 5000? I have a GPX 5000 and am getting the ATX but never in my wildest dreams did I ever think the ATX would hit smaller gold than a GPX, or that it would come close to hitting large gold as deep. I know you guys have different cost ratios in Oz but an ATX costs less than half what a GPX costs in the US and that is not even counting the waterproof milspec housing the ATX is in.

Is there a bunch of hype going on somewhere I have been missing out on?
HI Steve.
Great to see you on the forum.

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa on Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:39 pm

Urbanfox,
What did you think of the fact that in this video....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2XgiKNOKW4

..he has an external speaker on the Infinium and not on the ML.
Sus out the video at time frame 3:37. affraid 
That ML battery hit the deck like something out of the Road Runner cartoon......yes siree barb!!..beep! beep! Razz Razz Laughing

Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:44 pm

They can take a bit of knocking about so long as you don't ding the casing.
Unlike a lead acid that will sh.t itself if banged about to much

Last edited by Adrian SS on Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  GemQ on Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:46 pm

Yes we can all wait for the tests on gold in the Triangle but the Garrett ATX flyer says that
"Highly Recommended - Prospecting, Cache Hunting, Relic Hunting, Dry Beach/Fresh Water Hunting, and Surf Hunting.
"Recommended - Jewelry Hunting, Coin Hunting and Ghost Town Hunting".

This machine is being sold as a machine that does it all.

The highly recommended and recommended objects sort of contradict themselves though, I would have thought you would find jewelry and coins at the beach  - not sure what else you would find at the beach. Also would think you were looking for relics at a ghost town also, maybe the evil spirits reduce the detectors sensitivity.

Wonder what its not recommended for? Anyone for cricket:D

GemQ
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts: 39
Registration date: 2012-12-24

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:54 pm

I read it as meaning The detector is good for almost all fields of metal detecting inc jewellery and coin hunting. The reference to surf hunting refers to the detector being able to work in salt water surf where it will find anything and everything as easily as anywhere else.
I find most coin and jewellery out in the surf.

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa on Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:06 pm

.....the Garrett ATX flyer says that
"Highly Recommended - Prospecting, Cache Hunting, Relic Hunting, Dry Beach/Fresh Water Hunting, and Surf Hunting.
"Recommended - Jewelry Hunting, Coin Hunting and Ghost Town Hunting".
What!!! no mention of meteorite hunting!!??.....  that chafes my rs!!!.What a Face   (Said while tossing hands in the air frothing from the mouth and turning red in color....pfft!!!)

Ok lets  bag it!!!

lol!

Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  goldchaser on Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:11 pm

Well i"ll be buggered,a garrett thread thats got 5000 views.
OK OK 3900 are Adrian but still impressive!! Laughing 

goldchaser
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12 ... 20  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top