GARRETT ATX ????????

Page 14 of 20 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 20  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: GARRETT ATX ????????

Post  James Squire on Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:27 pm

Test - as I put a link in here to a good ATX review on another forum and it's not here??

James.

James Squire
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts: 7
Registration date: 2013-12-05

Back to top Go down

An ATX hands on review

Post  James Squire on Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:36 pm

G'day,

There'll be a few people on here that know of me from years back - for better or worse. But I managed to get my hands on a Garrett ATX last weekend and wrote it up on Finders. I won't put the link here as that maybe the reason that my previous post didn't turn up??

But it's on Finders Forum in the "GPX vs Garrett ATX" thread and it starts at about Page 4 to Page 6

I'll probably buy an ATX. My prospecting activities are slightly different from recreational users and even those who do it for a living. So the ATX has a place in my arsenal. Narrawa has hit the nail on the head in his many comments about the usefulness of the ATX.

I make no apologies for the length my input to the Finders thread. I think it's important to get the history and context right in these situations.

HTH

James

Last edited by James Squire on Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

James Squire
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveinTassie on Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:37 pm

Hi Kon and Waveform

I agree that the ultimate test would be to have an area searched with the GPX 5000 and all target responses marked. Then track the ATX over the same ground and see if it could also identify the same targets.  An evaluation could be then made of the target response provided by each machine and finally the targets dug and identified. BUT no one seems willing or able to do this, or at least haven’t posted their results on a public forum.

The point is though irrespective of what you think of Bearcat’s procedures regarding
Ground balancing
Mild ground
Settings

One thing is clear and that is, to get a good response on all targets you had to uses different settings on the GPX 5000. Not one setting got all four!

The ATX  got all four in both its modes. Motion and non-motion. Do I believe that the ATX is better than a GPX 5000 in skilled hands, probably not. But I believe that the ATX with a standard coil at half the price seems be offering a really good alternative choice.

Now Waveform I will wait in anticipation of a comprehensive test from you.

Dave

Last edited by DaveinTassie on Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:46 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : disable notify me email)

DaveinTassie
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts: 66
Registration date: 2009-05-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike54 on Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:56 pm

James Squire wrote:Test - as I put a link in here to a good ATX review on another forum and it's not here??

James.
G'day James and welcome to the forum. As you are only a new member this is the reason why you are unable to post links. After a week or so you will have no problems posting links. Hope this helps and again welcome to the forum. Q31 

Cheers.

Mike. cheers 

Live long and prosper.......... cheers

Mike54
Management

Number of posts: 3565
Registration date: 2012-02-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Redfin on Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:14 pm

Finders, for some reason I cannot post the individual post = http://www.finders.com.au/Finders_Archives/forum/finders-forum-info/finders-forum/

Redfin
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts: 173
Registration date: 2013-02-26

Back to top Go down

Post  James Squire on Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:05 pm

Redfin,

It's a heck of a long post that I wrote as it needed quite a long story as a precedent to put it in the right context. So long is it, that I wouldn't cut 'n paste it on here.

But if you think it'll be OK, then by all means have a try.

Cheers,

James

James Squire
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Nebuchadnezzar on Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:37 pm

I think I will hold off a bit longer before selling one of my 5Ks. Bearkats video hasn't really convinced me of anything. All I see is that he's not very good with a 5K and possibly holds a grudge against ML for whatever reason. I know I would have pinged every one of those nuggets easily. Still, the ease with which the ATX pinged them all intrigued me. But just to be on the safe side I'll wait a bit longer until more reviews come in or I get to test an ATX for myself.

Nebuchadnezzar
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts: 163
Registration date: 2009-06-02

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveinTassie on Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:50 pm

Nebuchadnezzar wrote:I think I will hold off a bit longer before selling one of my 5Ks. Bearkats video hasn't really convinced me of anything. All I see is that he's not very good with a 5K and possibly holds a grudge against ML for whatever reason. I know I would have pinged every one of those nuggets easily. Still, the ease with which the ATX pinged them all intrigued me. But just to be on the safe side I'll wait a bit longer until more reviews come in or I get to test an ATX for myself.
You state that you would have "pinged every one of those nuggets easily" so which settings would you recommend that would enable you to do so. Remember its one set of settings to pick all four nuggets without having to change.

Not doubting you here just wanting to refine my understanding of the GPX 5000.

Dave

DaveinTassie
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts: 66
Registration date: 2009-05-21

Back to top Go down

Post  rc62burke on Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:36 pm

James Squire wrote:G'day,

There'll be a few people on here that know of me from years back - for better or worse. But I managed to get my hands on a Garrett ATX last weekend and wrote it up on Finders. I won't put the link here as that maybe the reason that my previous post didn't turn up??

But it's on Finders Forum in the "GPX vs Garrett ATX" thread and it starts at about Page 4 to Page 6

I'll probably buy an ATX. My prospecting activities are slightly different from recreational users and even those who do it for a living. So the ATX has a place in my arsenal. Narrawa has hit the nail on the head in his many comments about the usefulness of the ATX.

I make no apologies for the length my input to the Finders thread. I think it's important to get the history and context right in these situations.

HTH

James
Hey James
Welcome mate, just to clarify you are Bilbo on Finders??

rc62burke
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts: 1191
Registration date: 2009-03-05

Back to top Go down

Post  GemQ on Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:41 pm

I really want to see an actual video of a nugget found insitu with this machine. They have been out for a few weeks now and I havent seen one video on a field find. Dont know about you but if a had a new machine like this I would play with the air tests for a few minutes then throw it in back of the car bound for the goldfields. I think this would provide some clarity on its performance.

If the video is out there, post them up.

GemQ
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts: 39
Registration date: 2012-12-24

Back to top Go down

Post  Nebuchadnezzar on Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:45 pm

DaveinTassie wrote:You state that you would have "pinged every one of those nuggets easily" so which settings would you recommend that would enable you to do so.  Remember its one set of settings to pick all four nuggets without having to change.

Although he's testing in fairly benign ground, he still should have pinged all the targets in Fine Gold, including the smallest one. I regularly ping nuggets much smaller than 0.1g at a depth of 2" using a 11" coil, and in much hotter ground too. I have my doubts of his ability or skill in using the 5K or if the test hadn't been predjudiced in favour of the ATX. There were a lot of good points raised by Waveform regarding his technique that need to be taken into consideration when drawing conclusions, like the lack of ground balancing between timing changes and poor gain selection for the 5K. Nor was I particularly impressed by the way he was waving the 5K over the targets.

As for the loss of signal strength in Fine gold for the bigger nugget, there's nothing surprising there. That's one of the disadvantages of using Fine Gold in benign ground, but there's no way you wouldn't of heard it as a "good" target.

I also think sensitive extra should have picked up all the targets but as I don't use this timing often enough I cannot be absolutely certain. This is a good timing for more benign conditions which I hardly ever encounter, so perhaps someone who uses it regularly can give their thoughts. I think there is a lot of blowing ATM and you can't exactly trust all that you hear.

Last edited by Nebuchadnezzar on Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:44 am; edited 1 time in total

Nebuchadnezzar
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  keogh on Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:10 pm

Does not matter what timing you are in on the 5000, it will not pick up certain types of gold,try getting a fine gold chain and move it about on a mono coil, right up against the coil and it will not make a sound.

keogh
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts: 20
Registration date: 2010-12-01

Back to top Go down

Post  James Squire on Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:30 pm

To rc62burke,

Yep.

James Squire

James Squire
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  James Squire on Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:29 pm

To rc62burke,

I read your PM but apparently I need to be on here as a member for 7 days before I can reply. When I get there, I'll do it.

James

James Squire
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Nebuchadnezzar on Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:04 am

keogh wrote:Does not matter what timing you are in on the 5000, it will not pick up certain types of gold,try getting a fine gold chain and move it about on a mono coil, right up against the coil and it will not make a sound.
keog, I don't doubt you one bit. I'm aware of the limitations of the 5K and it's lackluster performance on certain types of gold nuggets and fine gold specimens. I imagine it would be the same on some types of jewellery as well. I first raised this issue years ago and ended up being chastised by the MOB. I'm surprised people are just know waking up to this fact. I've learnt to work around this problem by using a HF VLF where it suits best, and have been for years.

Nebuchadnezzar
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  James Squire on Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:14 pm

Neb,

I agree entirely with your observations there. Way back, I had the "specie experience" with an SD2000 with a DD on it. (My dustbin lid coil had failed and been sent back to Minelab). I got a faint signal, dug it, had a swing over the quartz/gold specie and heard nothing!

Yep, the small gold/specie problem has been around along time.

James

James Squire
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  True Blue on Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:58 pm

Wow what a great read, I can't believe people are actually comparing the ATX to a 5000 I think that instead of comparing it against the GPX5000 that maybe wait till Minelabs new mid range detector comes out because then there maybe a comparison. I would rather spend my money on a couple of sd2000s lol and I'd still find more.

Last edited by True Blue on Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:00 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : .)

True Blue
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts: 17
Registration date: 2013-05-05

Back to top Go down

Not hard to fill Minelab Gap

Post  stilltrying on Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:37 am

No surprise here really after all is that has been said, Minelab still don't have a gpx 5ooo that is water proof or any other gold machine that can handle hot ground & is water proof. Just an observation. Don't think I'd like to take my GPX 5000 for a swim & there was & probably still is some really good gold in the water. I know I have been waiting for a machine very simular to this ATX. Now for the hard part, convincing the wife to get another detector.

stilltrying
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts: 104
Registration date: 2012-03-14

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss on Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:45 am

True Blue wrote:Wow what a great read, I can't believe people are actually comparing the ATX to a 5000 I think that instead of comparing it against the GPX5000 that maybe wait till Minelabs new mid range detector comes out because then there maybe a comparison. I would rather spend my money on a couple of sd2000s lol and I'd still find more.
Chuckle, Laughing  Chuckle, Laughing Chuckle Laughing 

The ATX is to the sd2000 as the GPX 5000 is to the Seben Extreme. Q25  Q25  Q25 Ohhhh my little sides are just aching from laughing so much

adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts: 374

Back to top Go down

Post  Thegolden1 on Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:20 am

OK I had my hands on the ATX this weekend . I was at talbot Victoria and had an open mine about the great ATX it had the 12dd coil on it and WOW you could not run it at max sensitivity 13 ,it had to be on 6 and it was still  noisy spent 3 hrs swinging the ATX and gave it back to the owner (did not find a target) got my 5000 back work the same spot found 2 little nuggets .1 and .7 and 8 bullets the owner  of the ATX was not happy. not putting the ATX down but mite be better for beach hunters than the Vic goldfields .

Thegolden1
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts: 28
Registration date: 2013-11-17

Back to top Go down

Post  gullyhunter on Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:30 pm

Might of been an idea to locate some undug targets with the 5000 first , then tried the ATX over them just in relation to signal response . At least you could of walked onto the targets regardless of the ground noise just to see if the target was recognizable .
Just a thought scratch 

gullyhunter
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts: 107
Registration date: 2012-11-18

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss on Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:06 pm

Thegolden1 wrote:OK I had my hands on the ATX this weekend . I was at talbot Victoria and had an open mine about the great ATX it had the 12dd coil on it and WOW you could not run it at max sensitivity 13 ,it had to be on 6 and it was still  noisy spent 3 hrs swinging the ATX and gave it back to the owner (did not find a target) got my 5000 back work the same spot found 2 little nuggets .1 and .7 and 8 bullets the owner  of the ATX was not happy. not putting the ATX down but mite be better for beach hunters than the Vic goldfields .
Are you sure you did not go in hoping to prove it useless.
The ATX will GB solid ironstone no probs so there is no reason why it would be noisy at talbot.........Still if you say it could not handle the ground then I guess that is how you found it to be. I take it that you are saying that it would not GB well??

It takes a while for the ATX to gb over heavy iron minerals and you need to keep pumping the coil until the ground noise stops. Might take 15 to 20 seconds.

adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Thegolden1 on Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:14 pm

gullyhunter wrote:Might of been an idea to locate some undug targets with the 5000 first , then tried the ATX over them just in relation to signal response . At least you could of walked onto the targets regardless of the ground noise just to see if the target was recognizable .
Just a thought scratch   
Well I should of said we did try it on 3 of the targets I pick up with the 5000 and only could hear one that was @ 2"-3" and it was a very poor signal response but you could hear it ,the other 2 where at 5" and 8" and could not hear them even in max sensitivity and swinging slow over it ,all 3 targets where bullets just to be clear .

Thegolden1
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Thegolden1 on Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:23 pm

adrian ss wrote:
Thegolden1 wrote:OK I had my hands on the ATX this weekend . I was at talbot Victoria and had an open mine about the great ATX it had the 12dd coil on it and WOW you could not run it at max sensitivity 13 ,it had to be on 6 and it was still  noisy spent 3 hrs swinging the ATX and gave it back to the owner (did not find a target) got my 5000 back work the same spot found 2 little nuggets .1 and .7 and 8 bullets the owner  of the ATX was not happy. not putting the ATX down but mite be better for beach hunters than the Vic goldfields .
Are you sure you did not go in hoping to prove it useless.
The ATX will GB solid ironstone no probs so there is no reason why it would be noisy at talbot.........Still if you say it could not handle the ground then I guess that is how you found it to be. I take it that you are saying that it would not GB well??

It takes a while for the ATX to gb over heavy iron minerals and you need to keep pumping the coil until the ground noise stops. Might take 15 to 20 seconds.
No I was hoping it would of been good and I did give it a fair crack and did ground balance it a few times just to be shore maybe he had a bad unit I don't know as 3hrs was plenty of time to find an undug target iv never gone 3hrs with out finding a target rubbish or gold

Thegolden1
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss on Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:45 pm

You did say it was noisy, which indicates bad ground balance. Anyway, interesting observation on your part.
A few other reports should start filtering through soon.
I have heard that there is at least one ATX up at tennant creek. With a bit of luck we will find out what that chap thinks of the detector.

adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Inhere on Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:27 pm

Good report thegolden1, Talbot is an ideal area to test the ATX, some noisy ground around that way!Wink 

Inhere
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts: 635
Registration date: 2009-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Nebuchadnezzar on Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:47 pm

It would seem the video posted earlier comparing the ATX with a 5K & mono coil was a staged performance by a Garrett dealer who deliberately took advantage of the 5Ks weakenesses by using a hot-ground timing on mild ground, then adding smoke & mirrors to cover up some clever ground balancing tricks.Q07 

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?27,1994730

Nebuchadnezzar
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:04 pm

Thanks for your input thegolden1 just as I suspected after the limited testing I saw/did.
As for those Bearkat videos I would not pay any attention to any of that blokes videos Suspect Suspect 

I lost interest in the ATX a few weeks ago but it has been interesting to see all of the posts defending and promoting the detector...............All from Garrett dealers or garrett guys.
I still haven't seen one positive report or video from an actual buyer here in oz.
Surely after all those detectors sold in the first shipment someone would have something positive to say............... unless they are all Embarassed about falling for garrett's marketing hype Suspect 

Back to top Go down

Post  Inhere on Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:09 pm

This ones an interesting post on the garrett test day in WA.
Check out how the 5000 was set up!Suspect Laughing

http://www.detectingwestaustraliangold.com/t3724p50-garrett-atx-versus-new-ml-coming-out-next-year-threads-merged#24361

Inhere
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts: 635
Registration date: 2009-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:29 pm

I'll have to take your word for it Inhere as I think you have to register to view that link or its faulty scratch and 1 forum is enough for me.

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 20 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 20  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top