GARRETT ATX ????????

Page 4 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 20  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: GARRETT ATX ????????

Post  spinifex on Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:59 am

Should the Garrett ATX Extreme be compared with the Minelab CTX 3030 and not the GPX 5000

spinifex
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts: 10
Registration date: 2009-11-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:04 am

Waveform wrote:Do you know if they put on a mono on at all ob the day. Anyone hear it work with a mono on? I think we tell Garret their dreaming.
Gday Waveform
mate they did not send them to ANY of the dealers.......... Was this on purpose Suspect .........I think so.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:22 am

Hi Aurumpro,

The test on a 3 ozer only went to 350mm deep which is a very poor test as I am sure you could have got a lot more out of both machines even in an air test, you sure you weren't in cancel!!!!

I recently recovered a specie with 2 1/2 oz's at 450mm in the ground and it wasn't solid gold, it was all flour type gold
with a 14x9 N/F coil and a 2gr specie at 300mm???????

So i'm thinkin your you-beaut quick test is worth nothing and cannot be relied on,sorry!!!!

I.m with Tributer on proper testing if you are going to compare machines and to say you are not going to buy one, well that takes the cake!!!, you should work for Minelab!!!!!

Sorry to get personal but that report sounds very biased as does JP's, just my two bobs worth ,

Ron

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:27 am

Tributer wrote:Hi Aurumpro and Dave, i'm still upset i could not get to the muster was looking forward to some catch ups ....sh*t happens to me, but only when i have a gold trip planned.Evil or Very Mad 

Re the ATX, thanks for the feedback, i know it was only a quick test however i get the idea. 8 batteries to power the ATX is a bummer. don't they have a Lipo pack that can be used on them?  

At the end of the day the ATX can't outperform a 5000 and the 5000 has a small DD and is set below FP gain etc.
I just hope no newbies rush out and buy this gold machine because its within their budget. The thought of walking over deeper gold and not getting a response is enough to rule the ATX out in my book.

It might be OK for crumbing on mullock heaps. You could maybe find enough gold to upgrade to a second hand 4500.

I will say anyone interested in the ATX should wait until it is compared with the 5000 on one of the dedicated test patches ( that have a range of target sizes at different depths). A few hours on a test patch is the only way to get a true measurement of performance.

Tributer
Gday mate
I would have liked to meet you too at the muster Tributer.

I agree with you on all of your points except the battery's as we have had MANY failures of minelab battery's,
and at 400 bucks a pop its is a bigger part of our detector up keep costs.
And if you could just carry 8 extra rechargeable cells when one failed you can just throw it away and replace that cell only.
I would probably just buy an aftermarket charger and AA LiFePO battery cells to run it on.

I to think it will have a place in the market with people who want a simple turn on and go machine that is suitable for crumbing in the mullock heaps.

The main reason I lost interest in the ATX is because of its woeful performance on the larger deeper stuff and like you with me this is an INSTANT FAIL as I can't afford to be leaving those nuggets behind Exclamation 

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:37 am

authere wrote:Hi Aurumpro,

The test on a 3 ozer only went to 350mm deep which is a very poor test as I am sure you could have got a lot more out of both machines even in an air test, you sure you weren't in cancel!!!!

I recently recovered a specie with 2 1/2 oz's at 450mm in the ground and it wasn't solid gold, it was all flour type gold
with a 14x9 N/F coil and a 2gr specie at 300mm???????

So i'm thinkin your you-beaut quick test is worth nothing and cannot be relied on,sorry!!!!

I.m with Tributer on proper testing if you are going to compare machines and to say you are not going to buy one, well that takes the cake!!!, you should work for Minelab!!!!!

Sorry to get personal but that report sounds very biased as does JP's, just my two bobs worth ,

Ron
If you re-read my post you will see that I say that its not in Ideal conditions and that the GPX was in well below FP settings in normal timing I was just working with what I had in the limited time I had to test and in bad emi conditions.
And I was trying to give the ATX the best chance by having it tuned up to maximum sensitivity,
mate I really wanted to buy one but it just didn't make the cut and I'm not in to wasting my time and money as I got to make a living.
I

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan Porter on Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:41 am

authere wrote:
.........Sorry to get personal but that report sounds very biased as does JP's, just my two bobs worth ,

Ron
How can my comments be biased I have never laid eyes on an ATX?!!!

Seriously Ron, from what I have seen on the net the ATX requires the use of a DD coil to handle mineralisation, Minelab went away from this with the GPX 4000, they now use timings to deal with ground noise and hot rocks whilst still providing serious depth on large and small gold, this is a fact not bias!!

Do any of you seriously want to go back to dealing with ground noise and hot rocks to achieve performance? You can easily do this by reverting to the GP 3500! My remarks were not made to knock the ATX but to point out what we already have at our fingertips and by the look of things take for granted, going by the ATX reviews so far the Garrett does not do any of those things.

JP

Jonathan Porter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts: 579
Registration date: 2008-11-25

http://www.aurumaustralis.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:51 am

Hi Aurumpro,

That's what I am talking about, I think you did waste your time!!!!!!!, shootin from the mouth!!!!!from a so called expert, don't you see what you have done

Not until it is properly tested by at least an expert who is at least proficient in operating the machine in all conditions is worth listening to

If you want to talk about experience, what if the ATX works so quiet that it allows you to put on a larger coil and because it loves to work quietly in noisy areas and noisy ground that it could very well outperform any Minelab

How does your test fit now !!!!!!!

Ron

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:59 am

madtuna wrote:Good morning Aurumpro.

Thanks for your brief run down of the ATX. We didn't get to have a hands on with it yesterday as we arrived late well after the demo, but did get to speak with Dave and Ronnie plus a few others who were present.

We also noted the possible coil connection difficulty from watching the videos, saying that, with my fat fingers I still have difficulty on my GPX Very Happy
In your opinion, would the coil rear bolt failure be a problem for the non coil scrubbers (like myself)?

Personally, I am not a fan of AA batteries, I'd much rather drop in rechargeable Ni Cad or Li Ion battery packs.

The rear coil/shaft mount looks awkward I agree, but is it a case of we are used to years of mid mounted coils? Is it something we could adapt to and get used to?

From what I understand the tester was reading the user manual while the ATX was being set up for testing and as you said the test conditions (location, emi, air testing etc) were not ideal for either machine. Also the sheer briefness of the test. I'd like to have a play for a week in real gold field conditions with all the available coils (not just the 11") on in situ targets to make a better informed judgment.

Also, who is marketing this machine as a GPX beater, Garrett or various possibly overly wishful forum members?
As you point out, GPX users hoping to better their present performance will be sadly disappointed, but could it compliment their GPX?

It appears to have more strong points than short comings. It's a switch on and go, compact, robust, very easy to operate, fully waterproof machine that will find gold! I have to say that is highly appealing to me.
As a mid range/priced machine it could well suit a new user who maybe cant afford a GPX but wishes for better performance than an infinium.

Yes, if you rely on a machine for your bread and butter, no question, a GPX. But for a hobbyist on a budget with his weekend trips to the gold fields and to the beach with his family, the ATX might be ideal.

I personally think the ATX will be a much welcomed entry into the market and a big seller.

Unfortunately, the tests yesterday at History Hill still leave us as much in the dark as we were the day before.
Gday Mad Tuna

In your opinion, would the coil rear bolt failure be a problem for the non coil scrubbers (like myself)?
I can see that a pro or enthusiastic hobbyist will quickly fatigue the connection particularly with the large coil as the sideways torsion will fatigue the joint.

The rear coil/shaft mount looks awkward I agree, but is it a case of we are used to years of mid mounted coils? Is it something we could adapt to and get used to?
After swinging the detector for the short time I had it for I could see that the rear mount will be a real headache in regards to keeping the coil parallel to the ground as it wants to constantly kick up and you have to manually move it back to parallel instead of just pushing the coil against the ground like normal.

I pretty much share your views on the detector I really like the new platform and can see that it will be a good entry level detector for the beginners as it runs stable and the the price is very reasonable........would I sell a GPX 4000 to buy one, no, and I can't see myself buying one ether.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:04 am

Hi JP,

The GPX series is no better at finding gold than the 3000 or the extreme, you still have too identify all hotrocks, you pay $4000 extra to run a tad quieter on noisy ground, the older machines could still find 95% of what the GPX's can with a good operator

The topic is about the ATX and its capabilities, until someone who can operate one and then do proper testing I cant see a reason for you Minelab boys to need to say jack sh!t about comparing kahoonas

Ron

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:13 am

authere wrote:Hi Aurumpro,

That's what I am talking about, I think you did waste your time!!!!!!!, shootin from the mouth!!!!!from a so called expert, don't you see what you have done

Not until it is properly tested by at least an expert who is at least proficient in operating the machine in all conditions is worth listening to

If you want to talk about experience, what if the ATX works so quiet that it allows you to put on a larger coil and because it loves to work quietly in noisy areas and noisy ground that it could very well outperform any Minelab

How does your test fit now !!!!!!!

Ron
I don't believe that it will handle the gold field ground with its monos and I can see that the timing that the detector is FIXED in is not good at locating long time constant targets (big nuggets) so it wont no matter how big the coil is and how quiet it runs as its NO GOOD at picking up long time constant targets due to the limitations of the Timings that the detector is STUCK in.
Where as the GPX has MANY timings and some are VERY good at picking up long time constant targets  
This is where the Garrett is failing and I can see that in the little amount of testing that I did and that's why I have lost interest in it.
If I could see that I could get ANY benefit from it I would have ordered one on the spot but all I could see happening is that I would be wasting my hard earned money as I already have the GPX.

Hope this clears it up for you Authere and you can comprehend what I'm talking about Wink

Last edited by aurumpro on Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:21 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : typo)

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:14 am

Lets just put it to rest the GPX 5000 is the best and will be the best till yes minelab bring out a better detector.

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan Porter on Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:16 am

authere wrote:

The topic is about the ATX and its capabilities, until someone who can operate one and then do proper testing I cant see a reason for you Minelab boys to need to say jack sh!t about comparing kahoonas

Ron
That's just it Ron, anyone can make and is entitled to make a remark because no one has actually used one, so I'm just as knowledgeable on the subject as anyone else at this point in time.scratch 

BTW I put my money up on the Infinium when they first came out and found gold with it, but it did not do as was claimed, so please excuse me if I'm a little skeptical!!

I'm sure the ATX will have its place in the scheme of things, its a water proof PI after all.Basketball 

JP

Jonathan Porter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  someday on Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:16 am

Ron I think your clouding the point.
most people wanted to see the atx outperform the 5k on big gold at depth!
but like you say, a bigger coil may well fix that down fall.
Agreed, the atx needs to be tested in hot ground where the 5k still falls to pieces, that in itself would be a seller!

someday
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts: 1141
Registration date: 2012-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:19 am

Jonathan Porter wrote:
authere wrote:
.........Sorry to get personal but that report sounds very biased as does JP's, just my two bobs worth ,

Ron
How can my comments be biased I have never laid eyes on an ATX?!!!

Seriously Ron, from what I have seen on the net the ATX requires the use of a DD coil to handle mineralisation, Minelab went away from this with the GPX 4000, they now use timings to deal with ground noise and hot rocks whilst still providing serious depth on large and small gold, this is a fact not bias!!

Do any of you seriously want to go back to dealing with ground noise and hot rocks to achieve performance? You can easily do this by reverting to the GP 3500! My remarks were not made to knock the ATX but to point out what we already have at our fingertips and by the look of things take for granted, going by the ATX reviews so far the Garrett does not do any of those things.

JP
Agreed JP
All the points you have raised are valid and true even if some can't read between the lines

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan Porter on Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:20 am

authere wrote:Hi JP,

The GPX series is no better at finding gold than the 3000 or the extreme, you still have too identify all hotrocks,................. the older machines could still find 95% of what the GPX's can with a good operator
Ron
I thought this topic was about the ATX? The above would have to be the biggest load of tripe I have read in recent times!!

JP

Jonathan Porter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  rc62burke on Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:26 am

DAMN

HOW Dare "Minelab" be so good at producing a top of the line "Gold" prospecting detector time after time ??????? the cheek of it is astounding!!!!!!!!!!

OR

HOW Dare do the other manufacturers continually produce inferior detectors in regard to their "Mineralisation" handling abilities "WITH MONO" coils & try to flog them off at a high price.

Nearly 4k for this new offering & as mentioned an entry level detector at a fair price !!! COME ON entry level at 4k that will not out perform my
SD2200 on a deep target, that's bullchit.

You other companies get your crap together, there are people out there ready to support you when you manage to do that.

Before you start minelab bashing I HAVE NO ALEEGENCE TO MINELAB.

rc62burke
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts: 1192
Registration date: 2009-03-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:27 am

There you go again, assuming!!!!, what if the ATX has multiple timings thrown at the target or frequencies for that matter, just because it is unadjustable doesn't meen it doesn't do it for you

I reckon that the ATX needs to be given a go by someone who has the time to commit to a proper report which is not biased and gives the machine a fair go

The machine is what it is not what you want it to be

Ron

Back to top Go down

Post  Ark on Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:27 am

lol! The beer is cold ! The popcorn is nearly ready ! I've got my feet up! Continue !!!!!!!

Ark
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts: 1614
Registration date: 2012-12-12

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan Porter on Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:34 am

authere wrote:There you go again, assuming!!!!, what if the ATX has multiple timings thrown at the target or frequencies for that matter, just because it is unadjustable doesn't meen it doesn't do it for you

I reckon that the ATX needs to be given a go by someone who has the time to commit to a proper report which is not biased and gives the machine a fair go

Ron

OK then get the mods to delete this thread and we'll all go away until a real one surfaces for someone to have a play with!!! Sheesh!! I could tell in 3 seconds flat if the detector had any performance, it took me 2 seconds to figure I'd done my money on the Infinium!!! That does not mean it will not find gold, I found gold with the Infinium, I still find gold with my VLF detectors and some of it was completely missed by my 5000!!!
This is not about shooting down the detector before it gets a chance to fly, instead its a discussion about what is claimed, about what we have all seen and read and how that information gels with real world experience.

JP

Jonathan Porter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:39 am

authere wrote:There you go again, assuming!!!!, what if the ATX has multiple timings thrown at the target or frequencies for that matter, just because it is unadjustable doesn't meen it doesn't do it for you

Ron

mate
if it was good at picking up long time constance targets even on max sensitivity in air it would have had no trouble with the 3ozer mate it can't get any better than this it can only get worse in mineralization

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:41 am

Ark wrote:lol! The beer is cold ! The popcorn is nearly ready ! I've got my feet up! Continue !!!!!!!
hahahaha lol! 

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:43 am

Imagine aurumpro had a mono on the gpx now would we still be talking about this ....NO

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:45 am

Hi JP,

I actually like tripe but that's another story, yes ,I agree with you JP the GPX 5000 has some abilities that no other machine has in finding gold that actually doesn't exist if using the older machines, so I will retract that statement just for you!!!!

Getting back to the ATX,you's have drawn a line in the sand and we hav'nt even got to the beach yet!!!!!

Give the ATX a go and then we can all make up our own minds with using the facts not fiction

I can read between the lines and comparing the best technology in the world which is a given, to a new beast on the market without even thoroughly testing makes me READ BETWEEN THE LINES!!!!!!!!

Ron

PS: I've got the missus makin popcorn too....ARK!!!!

Last edited by authere on Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:14 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : too personal)

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:57 am

Hi Aurumpro,

POPCORNS good,but if you max out a GPX it stuffs things up just the same with the ATX

If you think you gave the ATX a good run for it's money then I feel you might have done yourself a misservice, I for one would trial a new machine properly and not be judge jury and executioner in a one off trial

Everybody and everything have good and bad points, lets hear both before you send in the hangman

Ron

Back to top Go down

Post  goldchaser on Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:02 pm

Thanks Aurumpro for a little insight on it.
Well i reckon garrett have hit a 6,to beat a 5k on small targets is a feat in itself.
I read the manual last night and watched one vid where a bloke got a good signal off a .9 bit at 10-12" and thought yeah this thing might have some balls.
Im with Tuna though and think a few weeks of using it ya need to really tell if its ok or not.
Air test on 3oz bit a letdown cause the small stuff i dont mind missing but.....
I thought it might be the opposite,Atx say on par on bigger targets and Gpx better on tiny stuff.
Garretts stepped up to the plate at least i hope they improve it from here.
This thing will sell,half price roughly and not everyones a a die hard prospector,it will fit the bill for alot that just get out sometimes and do a bit of relic hunting etc.
Great to see at least a bit of competition!

goldchaser
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts: 314
Registration date: 2009-03-20

Back to top Go down

Post  someday on Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:08 pm

Arrr readen between the lines again!

Aurumpro, keep your eye on ya bag mate Laughing 

someday
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts: 1141
Registration date: 2012-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  shiraz on Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:17 pm

If you do the maths, the Atx is just not worth it. Better to get a dedicated gold machine (one that punches deep) and a dedicated coin machine for roughly the same price as an Atx. IMHO
Ps. Of course, I'm just talking to any newbies who are thinking of entering this great, maddening hobby. The experienced detectorists will work out for themselves if they can find a use for the Atx.

Last edited by shiraz on Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:48 pm; edited 2 times in total

shiraz
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts: 2018
Registration date: 2010-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:18 pm

Hi Someday,

Don't know what your worried about, I've got me own bag of popcorn!!!

Ron

Back to top Go down

Post  kim on Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:55 pm

Cosmetically I am curious if the top ends of the shaft segments have been finished off smoothly.  Aurumpro did you notice this? or is just the picture.

I wonder how close you can get the coil to the control box?  It would be pretty nifty in shallow water for scuba diving with it shorten up!!

kim
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts: 287
Registration date: 2009-02-18

http://www.wagoldtours.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:13 pm

As short as ya can get ut.Very Happy 

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 20  Next