coils for gpx 4000

View previous topic View next topic Go down

coils for gpx 4000

Post  joe82 on Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:20 am

hi all, just chasing some info on different coils for my 4000, my darling wife is going to buy me a couple for xmas. I only have the standard 11 inch dd and whould like to run monos as I hear they work pretty well any help whould be great. any ideas on a small coil as to a large one for deep gold am wanting to cover all bases,cheers joe

joe82
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 666
Registration date : 2013-07-02

Back to top Go down

Re: coils for gpx 4000

Post  Digginerup on Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:01 am

Gday Joe, the NF 17 x 11 eliptical seems to be a good all round coil choice, I dont think you can go wrong with that one to start with, not cheap but a popular choice among some of the more experienced and succesfull people I have come across, tell mummy about that one and see how much generosity is left after that eh,Wink  I hope the halloween gig went well, been crazy busy lately and forgot to get back to you on that, thanks for your generous hospitality recently, much appreciated, we will catch up before too long, unfortunately my ankle only got worse after our weekend out and I have been to the quack several times and am undergoing steroid treatment for severe tendonitis of my achilles tendon, F#%@&N painfull I tell you!, the joys of ageing eh!, slowly decaying, as they say something to look forward to Rolling Eyes . say G'day to the missus and kids,

Wayne.cheers
Digginerup
Management

Number of posts : 2374
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Back to top Go down

Post  joe82 on Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:36 am

hey g,day yeah the shindig was a blast mum had fun till the hangover!lol whould that coil do the damage on sub gramers at depth? or should I also try something like an 11x9 or 8inch jockey??? im also layed up bloody back again could think of better ways to waste sickies!

joe82
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  rc62burke on Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:43 am

Hi Joe
What Wayne said is correct, they are popular.
What you need to work out is if you want to use elliptical or round coils or both.
Round give you the best depth in relation to size, eg 24 x 12 mono will give you about the same depth as a 16" round mono on the same detector & target, some folk say they only get the equivalent depth of the shortest measurement ie: 24 x 12 = 12" round ? I would say they get a bit better.
Elliptical are good in narrow gutters & tight scrub area's.
Personally I like round coils & atm am using a NF 14" round mono & loving it.
rc62burke
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2080
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Back to top Go down

Post  joe82 on Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:31 pm

well there ya go never new that's how it works! have to rethink my plans,cheers for the info and think about where im going to swing aswell

joe82
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa on Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:42 pm

The 17x11 would have to be one of the best all rounders in my opinion. It works well on the 4k, and i have two 17s in my kit, tho i run a 4500 now days with them.
Pay little attention to the width of a coil vs its depth capabilities, elips  have more windings and are more punchier to whatever their depth capability is, and their elongated cone has a tad more length to it vs a round of similar dimensions.
The 17 and the 14 round are similar in their depths, but the 14 will go deeper, yet both  produce good sensitivity to the smaller gold, and either is a good choice. Iv also got the NF 14" round.
The 12x7 and 14x7 are also very good coils on the 4k, you wont miss much with either,  its  just the 14 covers a little more ground and a poofteenth more depth.
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1885
Registration date : 2008-10-22

http://australiangoldfields.freeforums.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  joe82 on Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:47 am

good on ya mate cheers for the input its good to here different views on what coils to use on different detectors, makes buying one that bit easyer,cheers!

joe82
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top