Reccomend me a coil for my old Minelab SD2000...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Reccomend me a coil for my old Minelab SD2000...

Post  Guest on Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:52 am

So, I got an old Minelab SD2000 for free (virtually unused) and it works fine, and also I am a total newbie to prospecting.

I currently have the Minelab 11 inch DD? and the big 18 inch Dustbin lid fiberglass green mono coil. The mono coil is crazy loud all the time and seems hard to use, while the 11 inch doesn't seem to get deep enough. I'd rather look for bigger nuggets as deep as possible when prospecting.

I don't know too much about coils, so a couple of questions:

1. Does the SD2000 make use of DD coils? Someone told me that the new detectors need to be set to DD mode. Obviously my machine doesn't have that function. I have a feeling the standard 11 inch coil is DD?

2. Can anyone recommend a coil that will give decent depth without being ridiculously massive and unwieldy in the bush (maybe 14 inch?).

3. Are Anti-Inteference coils the same as DD?

Cheers in advance.

Back to top Go down

Re: Reccomend me a coil for my old Minelab SD2000...

Post  CostasDee on Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:03 am

Hi Alastair78 and welcome to the forum.
The SD2000 is a solid detector and the first of the PI machines and you got it for free? Good mates, I need some of them. It will run a lot smoother and quieter with the DD coil as it does not have any of the filters and timings of the newer machines that allow them to run with mono coils smoothly. In very quiet soils, you may run the dustbin mono coil that you have, but normally speaking, with the SD range, DD coils is the more peaceful alternative. I had a 2200 and I used to run the Coiltek 14"DD Elite coil 90% of the time. I found it to be a good balance between sensitivity, weight and size and I used to use this as my everyday all round coil. Of course, if you're a tough strong fella, you could swing the Coiltek 24"DD which will give you the biggest depth for that machine but the 2.5 to 3 kilos weight of the coil would only see me bring it out on very rare occasions.
Now, answering your questions...
1...yes it uses DD coils and unless the coil says "mono", then it will be the DD coil
2...Coiltek 14"DD Pro/Elite or maybe Coiltek 17x12"DD Pro
3...Similar but not the same. Mono coils are the most sensitive to small bits, DD's are less sensitive and AI coils are less sensitive again, but AI coils will allow you to work salt lakes easier/quieter than the others and allow you to work near power lines where the others will give you a warble through your audio. You'd put on a AI coil as a last option when the use of other coils is impossible....better something than nothing as they say.
Cheers and good luck out there...
CostasDee
Management

Number of posts : 3971
Registration date : 2010-11-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:14 am

CostasDee wrote:Hi Alastair78 and welcome to the forum.
The SD2000 is a solid detector and the first of the PI machines and you got it for free? Good mates, I need some of them. It will run a lot smoother and quieter with the DD coil as it does not have any of the filters and timings of the newer machines that allow them to run with mono coils smoothly. In very quiet soils, you may run the dustbin mono coil that you have, but normally speaking, with the SD range, DD coils is the more peaceful alternative. I had a 2200 and I used to run the Coiltek 14"DD Elite coil 90% of the time. I found it to be a good balance between sensitivity, weight and size and I used to use this as my everyday all round coil. Of course, if you're a tough strong fella, you could swing the Coiltek 24"DD which will give you the biggest depth for that machine but the 2.5 to 3 kilos weight of the coil would only see me bring it out on very rare occasions.
Now, answering your questions...
1...yes it uses DD coils and unless the coil says "mono", then it will be the DD coil
2...Coiltek 14"DD Pro/Elite or maybe Coiltek 17x12"DD Pro
3...Similar but not the same. Mono coils are the most sensitive to small bits, DD's are less sensitive and AI coils are less sensitive again, but AI coils will allow you to work salt lakes easier/quieter than the others and allow you to work near power lines where the others will give you a warble through your audio. You'd put on a AI coil as a last option when the use of other coils is impossible....better something than nothing as they say.
Cheers and good luck out there...

Wow what a great answer thanks, greatly appreciated. I'll check out those coils.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top