Coils - too much information

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Coils - too much information

Post  longbob on Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:21 pm

I have a virgin 5000 been sitting in my studio for 12 months. Just out of hospital now and ready to fill the bucket as per bucket list. I thought I would check out if I have the best coils [having what came with the machine]. OMG there is sooooo much info I am overwhelmed trying to sort my way thru it  Shocked 
Basic aim -Castlemaine area, small gold
Any answers please avoid quantum physics as my degree has expired.
I just love the forum here tho - great job to all involved  Very Happy 

longbob
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2012-03-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Coils - too much information

Post  davsgold on Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:25 pm

Mate get that 5000 out in the field with the 11" mono commander coil that came with it, run the machine settings in enhance or fine gold and go get your share.

cheers dave
davsgold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 5436
Registration date : 2008-10-25

Back to top Go down

Post  CrazyPete on Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:55 am

davsgold wrote:Mate get that 5000 out in the field with the 11" mono commander coil that came with it, run the machine settings in enhance or fine gold and go get your share.

cheers dave

Yup i gotta agree with Dave's above post, the only thing i would suggest is definately run it
in Special-Fine gold to lift the response to small gold in the top 1 foot of ground...
Also select Boost in the rear Audio settins.
Good luck out there Bob and positive thoughts/mindset gets the gold  Wink Very Happy 

Pete
CrazyPete
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 486
Registration date : 2013-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post  longbob on Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:51 pm

Thanks guys for the advice. Just wondering if a small elliptical would be a good addition to the kit? Nuggetfinder?

longbob
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  davsgold on Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:38 pm

The little Nuggetfinder called "sadie" 8"x6" mono is a good little coil for chasing down the real tiny bits, but you won't miss much with the 11" commander mono, it's a great all rounder type of coil.

cheers dave
davsgold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 5436
Registration date : 2008-10-25

Back to top Go down

Post  longbob on Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:55 pm

This is what Jung called synchronicity and I call unbelievable. Been cleaning out my late brothers lockup at Harcourt and found coils in a box. He never even owned a detector! So now I have my original Commander 11" mono PLUS Coiltek mono 10 x 6 elliptical, Coiltek 17" x 11" Mono Ellip, Commander DD 11" and a Commander Mono ellip 16" x 12"
So what do I do now? Keep them all, ebay some? How do I go about rating their usefulness?  Shocked 

longbob
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  goldenhero on Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:32 am

That's a nice score longbob , all these coils have a place , environment , mineralisation and terrain dictate which will give best results , if you were to sell 1 or more you could probably keep either the 17x11 or 18x12 can't see much difference between these 2 , others that have used both may chime in with their preference ..cheers Mick

goldenhero
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 533
Registration date : 2012-12-19

Back to top Go down

Post  longbob on Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:31 am

So it comes down to Coiltek or Commander for sale. I guess that is going to be a difficult choice, having used neither, and I guess each make have their own adherents. Might stick with the Commander, only because it came with the 5000, and invest the takings from the Coiltek in a 'Sadie'. Does that sound like a reasonable plan????

longbob
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  spinna on Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:40 am

Hi longbob,
Magic little coil that "sadie" that will come in handy looking for small gold in confined areas.
Minelab would be my preference of the larger coils only because it was designed and manufactured by minelab themselves.
Both the coiltec and minelab large coils are excellent performers but become rather heavy with prolonged use.
You could give consideration to buying the lightweight nuggetfinder 17" x 11" elliptical for that extra coverage for general detecting.
Just my thoughts
Good hunting
spinna

spinna
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 241
Registration date : 2010-09-02

Back to top Go down

Post  kiwijw on Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:50 am

I have to agree with Dave. The 11" commander mono is a great all round coil. I am on to my fourth one. Reason being.....they seem to become touch sensitive over time with a lot of use. But a deadly coil. It was "glued" to my detector for a long time. GP 3000 & now the 4500 It is very sensitive to smallish gold at reasonable depth so was good for the outer fringes of the exposed bed rock areas of the old ground sluiced areas that I detect here in NZ & it will ping bigger bits that are down a wee bit more than a smaller coil will not pick up on. There is always a trade off on coil size & the depth you will pick up small gold. Like wise with bigger coils.....they dont tend to be sensitive enough on small gold near the surface but get the penetration of depth for the larger gold.....if it is there. The 11" does a great job. I dont have the Sadie coil but love my little coiltek 10 x 5 joey mono for the shallow & exposed bed rock where depth isnt an issue but sensitivity will get pretty much every thing that is there but the dust. Every coil size has it place so if you dont need to sell any then dont. If you have two of similar size then maybe.

Good luck out there

JW Smile
kiwijw
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1818
Registration date : 2010-09-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down