Emergency Water Retrieval

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Emergency Water Retrieval

Post  Nightjar on Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:48 pm

Here is another handy device for retrieving water from wells or bores if you get desperate. Have put it to the test several times in past years, it is definitely a winner.
We carry this in the van with us, hope we never have to use it in an emergency situaton but it could be a life saver.

It is a simple build;
(1)1 X metre of 90mm thin walled stormwater PVC
(2)Cut two flat PVC discs inside diameter of pipe, drill a series of holes near centre of discs to allow water in.
(3)Cut a thin flat stainless steel/aluminium disc a couple of mm less than pipe inside diameter. Cut a rubber washer and glue it to disc.
(4)Press one of the PVC discs into end of pipe 25mm and then apply some PVC glue to fix it in place. Now fit the metal disc with rubber seal facing outside/end of pipe. Lastly fit second PVC disc flush with end of pipe and glue.
Attach rope to top of pipe ensuring that when you lift it with the rope it remains vertical.
Length of rope.
Lower the pipe into the bore/well and when it reaches the water you will feel the rope go slack. Hold it at this point and when the pipe has filled you will feel the weight on the rope. Pull it up and up end the 5.5 litre of water into a bucket and repeat until you have required amount of water. (One lift is what is a daily recommended amount of water for one person)

I fitted a canvas shroud to top to prevent rubbish on bore liner fouling the water.

Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2048
Registration date : 2008-10-25

http://s4.zetaboards.com/Gold_Detecting/index/

Back to top Go down

Re: Emergency Water Retrieval

Post  pablop on Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:40 pm

Good idea Nightjar.  You didn't mention the use of the canvas or similar shroud on the top, which I assume is to minimise dirt and muck getting into the pipe during the lowering and more likely retrieval of the pipe.

I guess that using standard pipe caps may be easier than cutting to fit, unless the bore is too narrow to take the extra diameter of the cap.
pablop
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 318
Registration date : 2015-01-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar on Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:29 pm

Hey Pablop,
Look between the second & third image for explanation.

Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  pablop on Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:05 pm

Right, I missed that, but guessed the right reason.

Thanks,
pablop
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 318
Registration date : 2015-01-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar on Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:32 am

That you did Rob, yes you could go and buy a cap but I like to make do with what is laying around in the shed, also every gram in weight you can save is a big help.
A mate of mine commented I was a just a big girl only pulling 5+Litres at a time, so he made one out of 100mm pipe which held 13 litres of water. I was there when he hauled it up from a 30 metre bore, to say he was knackered is an understatement. He reduced the length considerably. Wink

Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  goldchaser on Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:48 am

Top idea nightjar,nice and simple,years ago i helped doug stone out on a few trips,he had one trailer with a 500 or maybe the 1000ltr water cube,you know the plastic one in the cage,every few days we had to go to a tank and run a couple of garden hoses and siphon to fill it up,a few hours,it was for showers for his customers,one troopy had the shower pump on the bullbar,i said to him oneday maybe you could set it up with dissconnect pipes and run it to fill the tank,swap them around you know what i mean,anyway this trailer im building will have a pump,later i might see if i could set it up somehow along them lines.......
goldchaser
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1265
Registration date : 2009-03-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top