New member from Tassie

View previous topic View next topic Go down

New member from Tassie

Post  Warrenaw on Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:25 am

Nice to join this gold prospecting group. I'm in the north of Tasmania, near Devonport and use a SDC2300, and soon a Garrett 400i as well, so I can tell trash from treasure a bit better.
Its a great hobby, now that I'm freshly retired, it can take up every day if I let it. Also a great excuse to really see the countryside here better.
Cheers to all
Warren

Warrenaw
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2016-09-26

Back to top Go down

Re: New member from Tassie

Post  goldrat on Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:35 am

Welcome to the forum Warrenaw , great people on board with Gold Detecting .4umer.net and advice and friendships will evolve .
Jenny & I had the Exeter Hotel in Tasmania for 5 years and loved the Tamar Valley and the people . We have kept constant contact with many of our customers . I panned a little gold at Mathinna , never had any luck with my detector , plenty of coins though . Where do you plan to prospect .
All the best mate and we love your little island .

Cheers
goldrat
goldrat
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2014-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Warrenaw on Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:08 am

I have been looking around Salisbury Hill/Cabbage Tree Hill, sth of Beaconsfield. Pan a bit of gold there, but only relics and lots of shotgun pellets with the metal detector.
Do you still come to Tassie? I see you live in Vic nowadays. Exeter is a nice place to be. I'm in Port Sorell to be precise. Very nice, but an hour's trip to anywhere with gold.

Warrenaw
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  goldrat on Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:55 pm

Warrenaw wrote:I have been looking around Salisbury Hill/Cabbage Tree Hill, sth of Beaconsfield. Pan a bit of gold there, but only relics and lots of shotgun pellets with the metal detector.
Do you still come to Tassie? I see you live in Vic nowadays. Exeter is a nice place to be. I'm in Port Sorell to be precise. Very nice, but an hour's trip to anywhere with gold.

Hi Warren ,
We hope to get over next year for several weeks . I prospected a little at Gladstone but the locals warned me their was a chap that walked through the smallish goldfield area with a rifle ( that finished that area for me ) I also made several trips to the Lisle alluvial field east of the Tamar . Wish I had a SDC 2300 then , very small & fine gold and the Xterra could not pick it up .

All the best
Cheers
goldrat
goldrat
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2014-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Warrenaw on Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:22 am

Curiously, I was panning at the Lisle field for the first time last week. Tobacco Creek, and Cradle Creek.
Met someone else there who was panning in the same stream, and he was at Lisle Creek the previous day.
MRT maps clearly show the exploration lease expired 12 June, never less, he was chased off there by a
guy with a shotgun.
Anyway, Tobacco Creek gold is mighty fine, and way finer than my 2300 can detect. Didn't go wandering around
the old mining area due to time constraints, and very active forestry going on too. Beware the log trucks!

Warrenaw
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top