Our own worst enemy

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Our own worst enemy

Post  Reg Wilson on Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:32 pm

Recently while poking around one of my old hunting spots I came across some areas of extensive raking. Someone had spent an awful lot of time and effort not just lightly raking, but actually surfacing in some situations. No effort at rehabilitating had been undertaken, and the area was a scene of devastation and destruction.
The area is to the north east of the Monte Christo reef at Havelock, and I would suggest that someone from the PMAV should take a look at this mess, as this is just the type of thing that will get us all banned from Crown land should it continue.
While people like ***** rant and rave about 'greenie this' and 'greenie that', the blame for this blatant vandalism lies squarely with prospectors (or fossickers) in this case, and environmentalists have a legitimate reason for complaint. The general public as a whole would be horrified, as I was at this arrogant display of disregard for the bush environment. If you think I am exagerating, then just go have a look. You can't miss it.


Last edited by Jen58 on Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:47 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Please don't attack a member)

Reg Wilson
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 301
Age : 69
Registration date : 2012-05-14

Back to top Go down

Re: Our own worst enemy

Post  Digginerup on Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:22 pm

Q33 Sadly, too true, too often, nobody but the extremists want to see a total lockout for all but like them or not if it wasn't for the "greenies" forcing the issues to the front the country would be stripped bare by greedy couldn't give a **** individuals and corporations,   V02 a pox on you lazy f%#@ers who cant do the right thing V60 ................. V33  rant over Wink

Wayne.cheers

Digginerup
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2208
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Back to top Go down

Re: Our own worst enemy

Post  jrbeatty on Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:41 pm

This is becoming all too common nowadays unfortunately.  I've come across areas at Rushworth where the ground has been systematically turned over by hand to a depth of 250mm covering vast areas.
I remember notorious rake hater John H.S. used to grab and break peoples rakes in front of them if he caught them at it. Pity he retired Very Happy  
Here's an area I came across northeast of Llanelly, Vic with an area of 90 to 100 meters square raked up and abandoned:






jrbeatty
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 237
Age : 65
Registration date : 2014-07-20

Back to top Go down

Re: Our own worst enemy

Post  Auger on Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:53 pm

Hi dig.../reg.../jr...
It can be a real shock to see extensive areas raked and not remediated. If its a small area I fix it myself, however, I recently came upon an area (near Maryb...) that must have been as big as the one jr... is showing. I walked around and checked the extent of it and did not see any evidence of "dig-holes" ! They either got very little gold or covered the holes well - without fixing the raking ! confused I left the area because I did not want to be seen near it etc.
Cheers

Auger
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 424
Registration date : 2012-06-14

Back to top Go down

Re: Our own worst enemy

Post  Mike54 on Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:54 pm

G'day Reg,

Jen and I went to one of our old patches a few months ago and what a shock we got when we got there the place was as you said heavily raked and the scrub had been removed and piled to one side.    Shocked    I called these so & so's all sorts of names when I first got there, talk about getting us all banned............ Some people have no morels that's for sure.     Evil or Very Mad    Evil or Very Mad    I move logs and fallen branches out of the way detect where they were then put them back, doesn't take much and looks like no one has been there.     Rolling Eyes     These Idiots need to wake up to themselves.    
End of rant.  

Cheers.

Mike.

_________________
Cheers   Mike
Live long and prosper.......... cheers

PMAV, APLA & NAPFA Member.

Mike54
Management

Number of posts : 5233
Age : 62
Registration date : 2012-02-14

Back to top Go down

Re: Our own worst enemy

Post  Jen58 on Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:04 pm

I am no greenie
But
Leave it as you found it!
Why rake it that clean that you could almost eat off the floor, are people that bloody gold hungry!!
Also if these people/person can go to all that trouble and energy....
surley they can put it back the way it was!

And don't use the excuse, after the next rain it will all be covered in again..  Evil or Very Mad
As all you are doing to this hobby is destroying it!!!!!!!
Rant may be over Rolling Eyes

_________________
Cheers  Jen
          
PMAV & NAPFA & APLA MEMBER

Jen58
Management

Number of posts : 4318
Registration date : 2012-02-14

Back to top Go down

Re: Our own worst enemy

Post  boobook on Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:20 pm

I don't believe this is any worse than those who take a Bobcat or small dozer out and do illegal pushing and scrapes.
The evidence can be seen on gold areas all over Australia.
Year before last we saw the awful mess left behind on the Clermont GPA's, a very incompetent dozer operator hoping to make a fortune without knowing how to go about it.
Some locals blamed it on "coastal outsiders" but tracking gave the game away.

Yes Jen, people are that hungry....having been open cut opal miners in W.Qld. the "ratters" are always about. Soon as you leave town at the end of the season they are out sniffing the mullock to see what they can pickup. And if you have cleaned up pretty well then any diesel or whatever they can pick up goes with them too.

For us we have both a legal and moral obligation to backfill and rehabilitate. I could take anyone to areas which had been open cut but 5yrs. later look almost untouched.
We believe this is the way it should be, plenty of WA certainly does not look that way.
So bloody sad. Mike Sad

boobook
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 196
Age : 79
Registration date : 2011-09-12

Back to top Go down

Re: Our own worst enemy

Post  adrian ss on Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:20 pm

Reg Wilson wrote:Recently while poking around one of my old hunting spots I came across some areas of extensive raking. Someone had spent an awful lot of time and effort not just lightly raking, but actually surfacing in some situations. No effort at rehabilitating had been undertaken, and the area was a scene of devastation and destruction.
The area is to the north east of the Monte Christo reef at Havelock, and I would suggest that someone from the PMAV should take a look at this mess, as this is just the type of thing that will get us all banned from Crown land should it continue.
While people like ***** rant and rave about 'greenie this' and 'greenie that', the blame for this blatant vandalism lies squarely with prospectors (or fossickers) in this case, and environmentalists have a legitimate reason for complaint. The general public as a whole would be horrified, as I was at this arrogant display of disregard for the bush environment. If you think I am exagerating, then just go have a look. You can't miss it.
Sorry for my so called ranting and raving.
 I hope you all get what you wish for and good luck to the Greens and their endeavours to get us out of the bush and with the re growth of their orchids. Wouldn't want the pretty little things to die out. If that happened nobody would know that they had ever existed and then where would we be??


Last edited by adrian ss on Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:28 am; edited 1 time in total

adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 983
Age : 70
Registration date : 2015-07-03

Back to top Go down

Re: Our own worst enemy

Post  adrian ss on Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:27 am

jrbeatty wrote:This is becoming all too common nowadays unfortunately.  I've come across areas at Rushworth where the ground has been systematically turned over by hand to a depth of 250mm covering vast areas.
I remember notorious rake hater John H.S. used to grab and break peoples rakes in front of them if he caught them at it. Pity he retired Very Happy  
Here's an area I came across northeast of Llanelly, Vic with an area of 90 to 100 meters square raked up and abandoned:







Seems to be raked up quite neatly and I do not see anything much in the way of detector holes.Regrowth would not occur while the dead wood and leaves were covering the ground but I notice now in these pics a nice tinge of green as the grass is beginning to re grow  So why rake it all back over the ground when there is likely to be more benefit from clearing it away? I have often seen regrowth occurring in unfilled detector holes while the surrounding dry and dead areas remain unchanged. Maybe a Greenie horto would chip in here as I have been known to be wrong now and again as is often pointed out to me on the forum.

adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 983
Age : 70
Registration date : 2015-07-03

Back to top Go down

Re: Our own worst enemy

Post  jrbeatty on Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:37 am

Adrian ss wrote:Seems to be raked up quite neatly and I do not see anything much in the way of detector holes.Regrowth would not occur while the dead wood and leaves were covering the ground but I notice now in these pics a nice tinge of green as the grass is beginning to re grow  So why rake it all back over the ground when there is likely to be more benefit from clearing it away? I have often seen regrowth occurring in unfilled detector holes while the surrounding dry and dead areas remain unchanged. Maybe a Greenie horto would chip in here as I have been known to be wrong now and again as is often pointed out to me on the forum.

The "doze and detect" I did 27 years ago at Kingower has also recovered nicely Adrian. It's not what we think that counts here. Times and attitudes have changed, and if anyone now carries out unremediated disturbance of vegetation (such as the above images) they are severely endangering our lifestyle.

jrbeatty
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 237
Age : 65
Registration date : 2014-07-20

Back to top Go down

Re: Our own worst enemy

Post  Mechanic on Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:35 am

I don't know why people insist on making windrows in their raking.
If you must rake, rake a strip 2 or 3 meters wide, detect it, then the next strip you rake, cover the last strip!
Then at the end, you only have one strip to deal with, not a football field Rolling Eyes

Have some respect people, leave the bush as you found it, minus the nuggets(AKA colours!) of coarse!
Dig a hole, fill it up, rake a patch, cover it up. Make rubbish, take it home with you.

But these words fall of deaf ears. Those pricks who insist on doing the wrong thing, don't give a flying f###K for the rules.
They will have us all banned and then continue to go out, leaving open holes, raked up football fields and rubbish every where they go.
At least while we are not all banned there is a chance that these people will feel a little guilt/shame and might do the right thing if they think someone else will see what they have done/catch them in the act. If we all end up getting banned from using the bush, then they will be able to leave an even bigger trail of destruction that will mostly go unnoticed.

DON"T BE SO LAZY

Cheers Mick

Mechanic
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 616
Age : 36
Registration date : 2011-02-20

Back to top Go down

Re: Our own worst enemy

Post  granite2 on Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:56 am

Boobook, I also saw the awful mess on the Clermont GPA's. I too put the blame on locals but was rebutted by a well known Clermont identity who claimed that because the vandalising party was made up of both locals and visitors that locals weren't responsible. But it is usually locals who know the areas very well who lead the visitors. In other words without the locals the visitors wouldn't even know where to go. Every member of the vandalising party has to be equably responsible, locals and visitors alike.

I would like to know if anything happened about that lot of dozing. Clermont is one place I avoid, one reason is you cannot camp out in the bush on the gold but you can bulldoze the guts out of it if you can get away with it.

I have seen many raked areas in Vic, Qld, WA and NSW and they do grow back it is that they look so unsightly for the first year or so.

Qld has the worst laws in Australia when it comes to gold prospecting. Even in little Victoria you can camp out in the bush on the gold in most places or free. In Qld you have to pay whether it is on private land or crown land. Doesn't make sense to me.

Cheers, Jim


granite2
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1489
Registration date : 2009-10-12

Back to top Go down

Re: Our own worst enemy

Post  adrian ss on Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:33 am

Signs such as that in the jrbeatty avatar that are plastered around in the bush or on private property are illegal and carry no authority.
Any sign prohibiting an activity or entry etc is meaningless without an authorised statement of authority included on the notice. otherwise any one of us can print up a few thousand keep out or no detecting/fossicking  signs and plaster them randomly throughout  the bush or wherever we might want to plant a few orchids or release a few legless lizards etc.
Although not common. I have on several occasions come across wire fences with signs attached blocking access along crown land bush tracks.
The signs have read. "Keep Out".  "No metal detecting".  "Re vegetation in progress. No entry". None of these signs displayed any indication of who authorised and/or  erected the fences and signs......So, down came the signs and out came the wire cutters.

adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 983
Age : 70
Registration date : 2015-07-03

Back to top Go down

Re: Our own worst enemy

Post  granite2 on Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:45 am

I have read a few signs like these posted in WA by people hoping to keep others off good prospecting country. Anyone can do it and it does work, most people won't detect where they are told not to whether it is legal or not. We simply pulled down any of those signs we saw that we knew were not legal. But we asked the mines department first.

Cheers, Jim

granite2
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1489
Registration date : 2009-10-12

Back to top Go down

Re: Our own worst enemy

Post  deutran on Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:57 am

I've noticed a big increase in raking since the SDC2300 was introduced.Detector technology improvements seem to have targeted smaller gold deeper.

deutran
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1444
Age : 52
Registration date : 2009-09-26

Back to top Go down

Re: Our own worst enemy

Post  jrbeatty on Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:00 am

adrian ss wrote:Signs such as that in the jrbeatty avatar that are plastered around in the bush or on private property are illegal and carry no authority.
Any sign prohibiting an activity or entry etc is meaningless without an authorised statement of authority included on the notice. otherwise any one of us can print up a few thousand keep out or no detecting/fossicking  signs and plaster them randomly throughout  the bush or wherever we might want to plant a few orchids or release a few legless lizards etc.

Quite funny the story behind that sign Adrian.

It was stapled up to replace another (that had been burnt off the same tree) during the final stages of a major bushfire that had swept through the Yambulla state forest in SE NSW last year.

That morning there were logs still burning, scorched roos, bulldozers pushing access tracks, exhausted fire fighters everywhere and one overly officious NPWS inspector dutifully armed with a step ladder, stapler and hot-off-the-press laminated signs, busily enforcing streamside exclusion zones. Very Happy

As much as it goes against the grain to do so, this is the kind of mentality we have to appease these days, otherwise we're all out of the bush for good.

jrbeatty
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 237
Age : 65
Registration date : 2014-07-20

Back to top Go down

Re: Our own worst enemy

Post  llanbric on Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:24 am

I have detected in Qld, NT, and Vic, where ever have I detected I found open holes. At Wedderburn last year I went early one
morning to a burn done the day before, there were fresh open holes there already.  

We know this gives ammunition to those trying to restrict our access to public land, so why does it still happen?

llanbric
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 367
Registration date : 2008-11-17

Back to top Go down

Re: Our own worst enemy

Post  adrian ss on Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:42 am

There is likely many more fossickers and detectotorists out there than what is on this forum and so they are out of touch with the reality of the situation.
To them the bush  and the deserts are  big places and what's a few little holes here and there. The wind rain and dust storms will soon fill them in. Rolling Eyes How do you get the message to these people??

Maybe when somebody buys a detector for gold hunting they should be supplied with a booklet that lays out the rules and the situation and they should be required to  to join a gold prospecting  forum....Or something???  I don't know how you get through to these people.

adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 983
Age : 70
Registration date : 2015-07-03

Back to top Go down

Our own worst enemy

Post  ozgold 041 on Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:54 am

granite2 wrote:Boobook, I also saw the awful mess on the Clermont GPA's. I too put the blame on locals but was rebutted by a well known Clermont identity who claimed that because the vandalising party was made up of both locals and visitors that locals weren't responsible. But it is usually locals who know the areas very well who lead the visitors. In other words without the locals the visitors wouldn't even know where to go. Every member of the vandalising party has to be equably responsible, locals and visitors alike.

I would like to know if anything happened about that lot of dozing. Clermont is one place I avoid, one reason is you cannot camp out in the bush on the gold but you can bulldoze the guts out of it if you can get away with it.

I have seen many raked areas in Vic, Qld, WA and NSW and they do grow back it is that they look so unsightly for the first year or so.

Qld has the worst laws in Australia when it comes to gold prospecting. Even in little Victoria you can camp out in the bush on the gold in most places or free. In Qld you have to pay whether it is on private land or crown land. Doesn't make sense to me.
Cheers, Jim
                               
================================================================================================

Hi Jim.

Spot on there, unfortunately there is always that bad element, which spoil it for the rest.  I too have seen lots of raked areas left this way over many years of detecting, and like Mechanic has said, there is an excellent method of covering-up as you go.

Doing this one row at a time and carefully returning the leaf and stick litter as you move to the next row, leaves behind an area that in 12 months time that it is actually hard to notice any disturbance has taken place.

Another point to bring attention to, is the great swaths of disturbed leaf litter in some goldfields that at first sight appear to have been man-made.  Where on closer inspection shows it to be caused by heavy rain run-off, due to flash flooding from violent rain storms.

As you would expect this occurs each year at different times, and usually is confined to gentle slopes, where the run-off spreads out causing wide disturbance over large areas.

Now here is a happening of interest of some years back, I was asked to represent the PMAV of Vic, on a field visit to an area out in the Whip-stick at Bendigo. This was for the specific purpose of meeting up with the head local Parks officer and some Orchid specialists from a society in Bendigo. David Watters from the Miners Den Bendigo attended also.

On us all meeting at the chosen point, a discussion was carried out to determine the objective on how to go about our get together.  The crux of the matter was that this local orchid society, wanted an exclusion zone declared surrounding a small bush dam, where we were informed that some rare bush orchids grow in season.

We walked from the cars to this site nearby, and to my horror detector operators had recently been there, they had raked a half a dozen room size clearings on the slope away from the dam. Well these orchid lovers were up in arms straight away, with the park ranger joining them.

On going over to inspect the damage, (with David and I feeling very sheepish about this),un-reclaimed carnage, one of the botany experts dropped to his knees and enthusiastically  pointed out the myriad numbers of orchids that had sprouted from these bare earth patches.

They were amazed over the numbers of them poking their heads through the soil, but only being found on these raked clear patches,  now growing  prolifically and unhindered by the heavy thick mulch.

So therefore the meeting ended on a good note for all with David and me agreeing that yes there should be a small exclusion zone established around the dam for these rare orchids, and that this area was to be clearly marked by 4 white corner posts with signs attached.

We were indeed very surprised at the friendly atmosphere that ensued, especially after the orchid growth display was found by these lovers of nature and even the Head Parks Ranger as well.


Cheers ozgold


Last edited by ozgold 041 on Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:58 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typing Error Ozgold)

ozgold 041
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2013-12-15

Back to top Go down

Re: Our own worst enemy

Post  jrbeatty on Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:10 pm

Keep up the good work Ozgold.

With the populist ecotide against us, The PMAV, NAFPA and other interstate prospecting organisations are pretty well our last hope of remaining in the bush.

Funny story too, BTW--- Very Happy

jrbeatty
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 237
Age : 65
Registration date : 2014-07-20

Back to top Go down

Re: Our own worst enemy

Post  davsgold on Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:15 pm

adrian ss wrote:

Maybe when somebody buys a detector for gold hunting they should be supplied with a booklet that lays out the rules and the situation and they should be required to  to join a gold prospecting  forum....Or something???  I don't know how you get through to these people.

Yep I can see what your getting at Adrian, a lot like getting a driving license for a motor vehicle, rules and tests etc, that works well as nobody breaks those rules. Laughing

There are plenty of morons that will break the rules and do the wrong thing just because they can, they don't care, it's just about themselves.

cheers dave

_________________
NAPFA member, APLA member, PMAV member

davsgold
Management

Number of posts : 5040
Registration date : 2008-10-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Our own worst enemy

Post  adrian ss on Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:53 pm

ozgold 041 wrote:
granite2 wrote:Boobook, I also saw the awful mess on the Clermont GPA's. I too put the blame on locals but was rebutted by a well known Clermont identity who claimed that because the vandalising party was made up of both locals and visitors that locals weren't responsible. But it is usually locals who know the areas very well who lead the visitors. In other words without the locals the visitors wouldn't even know where to go. Every member of the vandalising party has to be equably responsible, locals and visitors alike.

I would like to know if anything happened about that lot of dozing. Clermont is one place I avoid, one reason is you cannot camp out in the bush on the gold but you can bulldoze the guts out of it if you can get away with it.

I have seen many raked areas in Vic, Qld, WA and NSW and they do grow back it is that they look so unsightly for the first year or so.

Qld has the worst laws in Australia when it comes to gold prospecting. Even in little Victoria you can camp out in the bush on the gold in most places or free. In Qld you have to pay whether it is on private land or crown land. Doesn't make sense to me.
Cheers, Jim
                               
================================================================================================

Hi Jim.

Spot on there, unfortunately there is always that bad element, which spoil it for the rest.  I too have seen lots of raked areas left this way over many years of detecting, and like Mechanic has said, there is an excellent method of covering-up as you go.

Doing this one row at a time and carefully returning the leaf and stick litter as you move to the next row, leaves behind an area that in 12 months time that it is actually hard to notice any disturbance has taken place.

Another point to bring attention to, is the great swaths of disturbed leaf litter in some goldfields that at first sight appear to have been man-made.  Where on closer inspection shows it to be caused by heavy rain run-off, due to flash flooding from violent rain storms.

As you would expect this occurs each year at different times, and usually is confined to gentle slopes, where the run-off spreads out causing wide disturbance over large areas.

Now here is a happening of interest of some years back, I was asked to represent the PMAV of Vic, on a field visit to an area out in the Whip-stick at Bendigo. This was for the specific purpose of meeting up with the head local Parks officer and some Orchid specialists from a society in Bendigo. David Watters from the Miners Den Bendigo attended also.

On us all meeting at the chosen point, a discussion was carried out to determine the objective on how to go about our get together.  The crux of the matter was that this local orchid society, wanted an exclusion zone declared surrounding a small bush dam, where we were informed that some rare bush orchids grow in season.

We walked from the cars to this site nearby, and to my horror detector operators had recently been there, they had raked a half a dozen room size clearings on the slope away from the dam. Well these orchid lovers were up in arms straight away, with the park ranger joining them.

On going over to inspect the damage, (with David and I feeling very sheepish about this),un-reclaimed carnage, one of the botany experts dropped to his knees and enthusiastically  pointed out the myriad numbers of orchids that had sprouted from these bare earth patches.

They were amazed over the numbers of them poking their heads through the soil, but only being found on these raked clear patches,  now growing  prolifically and unhindered by the heavy thick mulch.

So therefore the meeting ended on a good note for all with David and me agreeing that yes there should be a small exclusion zone established around the dam for these rare orchids, and that this area was to be clearly marked by 4 white corner posts with signs attached.

We were indeed very surprised at the friendly atmosphere that ensued, especially after the orchid growth display was found by these lovers of nature and even the Head Parks Ranger as well.


Cheers ozgold

As I said earlier. Regrowth starts very quickly after the dead branches and leaf litter is removed. It also begins quickly in unfilled or filled detector holes as it does within wild animal digs.
I have come across these cleared areas myself many years  prior to the intro of the 2300 and often wondered what the reasoning behind it was because there was near on zero detector holes in the cleared areas lined by the raked branches etc.

One other thing is that those cleared areas in the above pics are areas that were stripped bare in the old days and all the dirt removed to another place for processing. The trees there now are all new trees that have re grown from not so long ago.
So to return this ground to how it was before the raking took place is to return it to how it was left by the old timers. So why the kafuffle to return it to how it was after it was stripped bare......This country will be here long after we have vanished from the earth and it will probably be a paradise. No matter what we do to this planet in order to sustain our survival, nature will repair the damage after we are extinct and everything left will never be aware that we ever existed.

adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 983
Age : 70
Registration date : 2015-07-03

Back to top Go down

Re: Our own worst enemy

Post  Digginerup on Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:11 pm

granite2 wrote:Boobook, I also saw the awful mess on the Clermont GPA's. I too put the blame on locals but was rebutted by a well known Clermont identity who claimed that because the vandalising party was made up of both locals and visitors that locals weren't responsible. But it is usually locals who know the areas very well who lead the visitors. In other words without the locals the visitors wouldn't even know where to go. Every member of the vandalising party has to be equably responsible, locals and visitors alike.

I would like to know if anything happened about that lot of dozing. Clermont is one place I avoid, one reason is you cannot camp out in the bush on the gold but you can bulldoze the guts out of it if you can get away with it.

I have seen many raked areas in Vic, Qld, WA and NSW and they do grow back it is that they look so unsightly for the first year or so.

Qld has the worst laws in Australia when it comes to gold prospecting. Even in little Victoria you can camp out in the bush on the gold in most places or free. In Qld you have to pay whether it is on private land or crown land. Doesn't make sense to me.

Cheers, Jim

 Rolling Eyes   V01 Hell Yeah.... its $500 a day pale , there's no water  V19 , all the people are insane  T18 rats, flies and mosquitoes as big as cats, you cant take a step without standing on a croc or taipan, the grounds too rocky, too hot, too far away ....and there's no gold left  Wink.

Wayne.  cheers



Last edited by Digginerup on Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:12 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

Digginerup
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2208
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Back to top Go down

Re: Our own worst enemy

Post  Wombat on Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:56 am

Reg Wilson wrote:Recently while poking around one of my old hunting spots I came across some areas of extensive raking. Someone had spent an awful lot of time and effort not just lightly raking, but actually surfacing in some situations. No effort at rehabilitating had been undertaken, and the area was a scene of devastation and destruction.
The area is to the north east of the Monte Christo reef at Havelock, and I would suggest that someone from the PMAV should take a look at this mess, as this is just the type of thing that will get us all banned from Crown land should it continue.
While people like ***** rant and rave about 'greenie this' and 'greenie that', the blame for this blatant vandalism lies squarely with prospectors (or fossickers) in this case, and environmentalists have a legitimate reason for complaint. The general public as a whole would be horrified, as I was at this arrogant display of disregard for the bush environment. If you think I am exagerating, then just go have a look. You can't miss it.

Hi Reg' As this has happened in my own back yard , so to speak. I'll check it out and if needs be take photo's. I'm meeting up with a few PMAV executives from head office later this week, and I'll bring up the subject about raking and such. I'll contact you in regards to the exact area.
wombat Wink

Wombat
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 4035
Age : 70
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Re: Our own worst enemy

Post  G.B. on Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:24 pm

I'm not a big fan of raking but have seen many raked patches with very little evidence of return for effort. Meaning lack of detector holes in the rakings.

Recently had a Ranger wander if for a chat and obviously to check us out. He was happy with how we were going about our business but did mention another area where there has been a large amount of raking done and not raked back as well as logs and braches left in piles and bushes pulled out which he wasn't happy about. He stated he believed he knew the vehicle the person drove and was just waiting to catch him in the act. Basically only need to prosecute one to send a message to many.

Common Sense Applies. Easy as That.

G.B.
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1186
Age : 54
Registration date : 2012-01-31

Back to top Go down

Re: Our own worst enemy

Post  sluice box on Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:18 pm

I found an area in the Talbot area that had some of the most extensive raking I have ever seen I was shocked at how the area had been left I no that this area has been a specific area that some people take tours to they are charging people good money to teach them how to read the ground and use there detecters. I can only hope that the person that takes these tours is not responsible for this mess im not happy about this and say no more Twisted Evil

sluice box
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 56
Age : 35
Registration date : 2015-03-27

Back to top Go down

Re: Our own worst enemy

Post  winnemucca on Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:46 am

Posting photos of scrapes, digs, raking, shafts, unfilled holes and all the rest of the bush abuses is only evidence for future generations to use against us.

So much of it out there in Vic we need not draw any more attention to it in this public forum. The title of this thread says it all.

There's way more prospectors who do the right thing out there than the lazy abusers. Get on with filling a few holes and taking some rubbish out.
Rerake if you think it needs it, regen the area if you really want to help, otherwise it is what it is. Hope everyone has a happy new year! Many colors to the patient few.

winnemucca
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2015-01-21

Back to top Go down

Re: Our own worst enemy

Post  adrian ss on Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:33 am

I guess the type of person who causes the raking and back hoeing and scraping that we are talking about never joins a forum or takes much notice of rules and regulations and so never see or read about what we are on about. We are preaching to blind eyes and deaf ears.
It is a bit like Danny Green trying to get coward punch attacks to stop by going on tv and talking about it. The people he is targeting almost never watch tv. They are either stoned, drunk, high/low on ice or abusing women and girls somewhere or prowling the streets looking for a fight etc and so will never see or hear what DG has to say. "Preaching to the converted only."
     So it is possibly correct that what winnemucca says about plastering our pics of bush damage on the forum, caused by a few brain dead individuals, will only ever be seen by other forum members and those who are looking for evidence to hang us with.

Just some thoughts, not necessarily my beliefs.

adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 983
Age : 70
Registration date : 2015-07-03

Back to top Go down

Re: Our own worst enemy

Post  au-fever on Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:55 am

Its the few people who are doing this sort of thing that are directly responsible for the access to goldfields areas being shut down, and after that has been achieved the chances of ever legally entering these places again is very remote, but you can do yourself and others a great favour by reporting these cretins and having them held accountable, I know its against the grain for most Aussies to dob on people but realistically the people who do this sort of thing have no care about what they are doing to the environment or to others who are going to be penalised for their ignorance.

Apart from damaging the environment and the habitat of bush creatures they are giving the people who have the power to shut down these places the ammunition they need to make the policies stick, slowly but surely we have seen areas and places such as beach accesses closed to the public where we used to be able to camp and fish, but not anymore, its happening everywhere and mostly its been caused by the actions of a few morons so we all suffer.

You have to wonder about the person that leaves his work open to view by others, and this means raked over areas and also dig holes left open, because if you intend on going back there to work the spot again at another time why would you leave it like that just to advertise to others that you found gold there?, its not that hard to cover up your activity, I have found many nuggets in these sorts of places mainly by the fact that the disturbance of the ground has caught my eye as I have driven past, and often I will spend a little time kicking in the holes others have left open just so its not so visible and I might want to detect there again, simple really.

au-fever


au-fever
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2016-10-22

Back to top Go down

Re: Our own worst enemy

Post  lenoil on Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:05 am

adrian ss wrote:I guess the type of person who causes the raking and back hoeing and scraping that we are talking about never joins a forum or takes much notice of rules and regulations and so never see or read about what we are on about.

I know of many people on this forum, and others, who publicly preach about rules and regulations and harp on about "others" who are getting detecting areas locked up, yet these same people don't fill their holes in, they leave rubbish, they damage flora, and they point the finger at others and whinge about restricted access, etc.

lenoil
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 364
Registration date : 2013-03-03

Back to top Go down

Re: Our own worst enemy

Post  Sponsored content Today at 8:10 pm


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum