As a battery loses its power does this affect the performance of the detector

View previous topic View next topic Go down

As a battery loses its power does this affect the performance of the detector

Post  Guest on Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:09 am

Would it be advisable to switch over to a fully charged battery on a gpx half way through the day or would the detector still perform the same if the battery is nearly flat? Had someone tell me the detector performs better with a charged battery.

Back to top Go down

Re: As a battery loses its power does this affect the performance of the detector

Post  deutran on Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:04 am

Hi Jin
The detector performance is not affected until the battery is flat.
deutran
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1469
Registration date : 2009-09-26

Back to top Go down

Re: As a battery loses its power does this affect the performance of the detector

Post  Harb on Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:33 am

Jin wrote:Would it be advisable to switch over to a fully charged battery on a gpx half way through the day or would the detector still perform the same if the battery is nearly flat? Had someone tell me the detector performs better with a charged battery.  

Its does......compared to a flat one lol!
Harb
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 715
Registration date : 2010-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post  boobook on Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:04 pm

My understanding with the GPX battery set up is that the detector electronics cut off the power before the battery is totally flat. (7.1v.)
On my 4500 there is an audible warning the cut off is about to activate. (7.3v.)
Mike

boobook
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 203
Registration date : 2011-09-12

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:43 pm

Thank you everyone for your reply's. So detector is as good fully charged compared to just before it cuts out... all good Q13

Jin

Back to top Go down

Post  davsgold on Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:53 pm

Jin wrote:Thank you everyone for your reply's. So detector is as good fully charged compared to just before it cuts out... all good  Q13

Jin

That's correct Jin, if the GPX detector is designed to run on somewhere over 6volts and the Li-ion battery pack is over 8volts when fully charged and turns itself of at somewhere around 7.1volts then the machine won't notice any difference and I doubt you will either.

The GPX is internally regulated so even if the battery is supplying over 8volts at full charge the machine is regulating it down to what it want's which is somewhere below the 7.1volts where the battery automatically shuts down.

cheers dave

Management

Number of posts : 5232
Registration date : 2008-10-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Harb on Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:24 pm

Like most electronics, the detector doesn't run on battery voltage, it has internal regulators that regulate the "working" voltage to say 5 volts, so the actual performance never is affected by a low battery.......it is designed to shut down before it reaches a low enough level to either affect performance or damage the battery.
Harb
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 715
Registration date : 2010-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post  kiwijw on Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:41 am

In my experience you can continue to detect for a wee while after the "battery is low" indicator signal comes on. With no noticeable difference in performance. I generaly get around 8 hours out of a fully charged battery. I do always have spare ones though as I can often go on detecting in to the night. My favourite time to detect.   T06  Cheers

Good luck out there

JW  V08

Last edited by kiwijw on Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:54 am; edited 1 time in total
kiwijw
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1813
Registration date : 2010-09-02

Back to top Go down

Post  au-fever on Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:47 am

Hi Jin

The answers you have received are correct in that later batteries such as the stock gpx ones are a Li-ion and as stated will run the detector at full power until the battery level reaches 7.1 volts or thereabouts and the detector will give you an audible warning signal prior to shut down, there are other varieties of li -ion battery systems available that do the same thing but could have a lower capacity than the gpx ones so they may not have as long a run time..

Earlier batteries such as the 6v gel cell or more commonly known as "brick batteries" that were standard with everything from the sd2000 right up to the gp3500 and they did have the problem of voltage drop, hence the introduction of regulated 12v batteries which were generally heavier and larger than the 6v brick but would run the detector for a much longer time and with better sensitivity, after that came the regulated li-ion batteries such as the coiltek "pocket rocket" that used sony handy cam batteries which were very lightweight and could run the detector for longer, and seemed to make the detector run a bit smoother which was more noticeable on the gp extreme as they tend to have a fairly warbly threshold anyway.

I have built a regulated system using the handy cam batteries to run my sdc2300, and also made inserts so be able to run the 3.7v li ion batteries as well, I will give both systems a proper test out next time I get away, as I believe that although its an awesome detector it too suffers from voltage drop and that being due to the crappy C cell batteries that it comes with, because it also suffers from a drop in sensitivity and can become unstable after a couple of hours use on the c cells, the li ion system should correct this.

I first noticed the battery voltage drop issue with the Gp extreme when working a patch that yielded hundreds of small nuggets, with a fully charged brick battery I would get one nugget after another for about 2 hours then they would start to drop off, a change of battery and it was back to getting nuggets again, you could detect for the most part of the day until the detector shut down but realistically unless the nugget you went over was a fair sized one you would probably not hear it, when this was realised an upgrade to the pocket rocket made all the difference, even though the gp extreme I believe is the first model that was internally regulated, the upgrade to the li ion system made all the difference in stability, performance and of course run time.

Maybe this is where the notion that was given to you by someone came from but as you can see it was a common issue with earlier model detectors but not a problem with later versions unless of course there is an issue with your gpx battery.

au-fever

au-fever
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2016-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:33 am

Thanks again for everyones advice. The lengths that everyone goes to explain things is much appreciated.

Back to top Go down

Post  kiwijw on Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:00 am

Hi Jin, I am sure I speak for all on the forum & that is that you are welcome as that is what the forums,in my opinion, are all about. People helping people & sharing hints tricks & info with like minded people.

Good luck out there

JW V08
kiwijw
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1813
Registration date : 2010-09-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Dozer on Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:14 am

Jin, all of the above have focussed on the technical explanations of why changing batteries at halftime makes absolutely no difference. They are all correct because as they have explained there are internal voltage regulators in the electronics of the machine. The same logic of changing batteries at halftime would also mean that our car would perform better if we filled the tank up when it is half empty, wouldn't it?

But what is missing from all this is the hidden factor that makes the difference between getting gold and not getting gold.

A huge part of detecting is the mindgame.
If you believe that changing batteries will give you a better performing detector then it will, simply because you are focussed on the sounds that you are hearing, at least for a while and not worrying about whether the battery voltage is dropping etc.

What also happens is that as the battery voltage drops so does your ability to concentrate, which is what determines whether you will hear the faint signals or just walk over them, it is a time thing.

If you have ever been to well run seminars, conferences or training sessions you will know that every 40 minutes or so they call a break for 5 minutes.
These people have done the science and know that we mere mortals cannot concentrate for much longer than that without drifting off topic.

If you can incorporate a break every 40 minutes or so you will refresh yourself and in my experience increase your harvest potential.

Others may be able to detect all day without a break of any sort, more power to them, I can't as all the old injuries start to ache and the body tells me that I was a fool back when I got those injuries and nothing has changed since. I stop and stretch, look around, smell the air etc. and start again for the next part of the day. Works for me but as they say your mileage may differ.

Dozer
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2012-11-28

Back to top Go down

Post  au-fever on Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:58 am

Mindset does play a huge part in successful detecting, and that is why some operators are better than others in that they have a greater ability to concentrate and apply themselves, but having said that simply changing a battery if it does not need changing I think would have little or no real effect apart from maybe a psychological one maybe?, but if the battery was low in power and you were getting a warbly ratty threshold and this was bad enough to break your concentration then a change of battery would help to get you back into detecting mode.

Having regular short breaks and a nanna nap at lunchtime seems to be the go, I break the day up by going out patch hunting on the quad in the mornings looking about for and walking new ground and such while I am more refreshed and the ground is cool, at half time come back to camp have some lunch and then hit an old patch or work the ground around camp area.

How quickly you experience fatigue and a lack of concentration can also be related to noise levels, like running your threshold too high or booster level too high and so on, it does not take long on a windy hot afternoon to become worn out and lose interest when emi levels, wind noise, are really high if there's too much to listen to then it pretty much seems to overload your brain, that's the time when you are more likely not to hear or subconsciously ignore a subtle signal, for me if I get the notion in my head that I can hear the cold beer in the fridge calling then its game over. Q11

au-fever

au-fever
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2016-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top