Off Topic. The Spider and The wasp

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Off Topic. The Spider and The wasp

Post  adrian ss on Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:21 pm

Just watched a battle between a little Aussie Black Wasp and  house Spider.  affraid

The spider pounced on the wasp that had got snagged in another web at the foot of our family room screen door. The spider grabbed the wasp and proceeded to drag it up the screen door to the spiders web, a vertical distance of about 5 foot. At approx 1 foot from the web the spider suddenly flung itself away from the wasp and bounced off the glass main door and fell to the screen track on the floor. The wasp just sat there at the top of the screen eyeing off the spider at least 5 foot away,(Good eyesight aye) then it dropped to the bottom track and sat watching the spider for about a minute and then jumped onto the spider and sunk the stinger in and Asta Lavista spider.  Went back about an hour later and spider and wasp were gone. This wasp was approx one cm in length with spindly legs and skinny wings.The spider was much larger than the wasp. I guess in this case, Size didn't matter. pale
Didn't get a chance to grab a pic.
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1358
Registration date : 2015-07-03

Back to top Go down

Re: Off Topic. The Spider and The wasp

Post  Guest on Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:56 pm

It is amazing how wasp's paralyse a spider, take it too thier mud nest.
So when the baby wasp's are born they have fresh food..

Oh what a horrible way too go..
sends shivers down my spine.. thinking about it. Yuk!
Mother nature hey?
So while some wasp's are a pain. Due to blocking exhust pipes and such, they do a job!
Cleaning up the spiders, but they only go aftet certain ones.

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss on Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:46 pm

I watched an Orb Weaver build a web across my driveway a few nights back.
As I walked down the driveway to toss some rubbish in the bin I came face to face with the orb weaver hanging from a web he had attached to the house roof corner guttering. I stepped back and the spider lowered itself to the driveway then very deliberately trotted across the driveway and climbed to the top of a fence post like he new where he was going and all. Stuck his web to the fence post and  went back down to the driveway and trotted back to where he had attached the dropper that he came down on and climbed back up to the gutter and then proceeded to pull up the web he had trailed across the driveway (must have been a non stick bit of web) and pulled it tight so that there was a runner right across the space between the roof gutter and the top of the fence post. To cut the story short, the spider then proceeded to hang the rest of his web from the established vertical and horizontal runners.

No kidding, that spider could see very well and long distance and planned that web to the last detail.
The next morning the web was gone. It seems that they build the web at around sundown and pull it down at early morning and re build it every night.
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:13 pm

That's interesting... that they put there web up and pull it down..
As we have a large orb spider between a water tank and shed..

Now if i didn't go out last night with my torch i would never have known it was there, as during the day time,
I have never seen it ... as i like to have water out for the wild life ( birds) they squawk at me if there is no water in their bowl. The willy wag tails get very bossy Very Happy

It creeped me out last night, yet today no web or spider, but i know he/she is there somewhere.
Just don't want to be face to face with it! affraid
We leave them alone..

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss on Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:57 pm

Jen you mentioned bossy willy wag tails.
Check these two cranky bludgers giving a crow a hard time at our picnic the other day.

adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:34 pm

Thats a cool photo of them
That photo reminded me, of how my brother explained what his willy wag tails did to him. Very Happy
My brother let them have a nest under his verandah next to his front door.. ( not a good idea )
All was good until they were old enough to leave the nest, mum and dad willy's would fly in his face and squawk at him, including the young ones.  Laughing

Here's a pic he took when they were first hatching out.

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss on Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:31 am

That chicks hair-do is a bit like mine on a good day. Rolling Eyes
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  au-fever on Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:07 am

Seeing the wagtails stoushing with the crow reminded me of a fight I watched between two "clackers" wattle birds (the make a sharp clacking sounds when they swoop anything) anyway these two clackers crisscrossed the work yard at a fair rate of knots, one obviously pissed that the other had come into his territory and the other being determined to hang around, after several high knot flypasts the clacker that was in pursuit caught up with the intruder and firmly grabbed its tail in its beak, it then immediately folded its wings in tight and just hung there like a brick off the other tail, the first clacker was squawking loudly and flapping in a frenzy just to keep air born, as soon as the pair neared the ground the second one let go, needless to say the first clacker dignity in tatters couldn't get out of the place quick enough....

au-fever

au-fever
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 123
Registration date : 2016-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss on Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:30 am

Imagine what life would be like if we had wings and could fly........Pretty difficult to keep tabs on boarder control then hey! Maaaan there would be crap flying everywhere.  pale
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  au-fever on Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:18 am

adrian ss wrote:Imagine what life would be like if we had wings and could fly........Pretty difficult to keep tabs on boarder control then hey! Maaaan there would be crap flying everywhere.  pale

I agree, but imagine what it would be like to be able to fly around goldfields looking for good gold spots, for years I have thought about having a gyrocopter or something similar, like that bloke had in mad max, I saw one at the aircraft museum and asked if they would sell it, the old fella there just laughed at me and said "flying that thing is just a good way to hurt yourself", Suspect but wouldn't that be something buzzing about the bush with a birds eye view cyclops

au-fever

au-fever
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 123
Registration date : 2016-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss on Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:04 am

I new a couple who did exactly that back in the 80s. They used  A2B Ground Hogs. They would fly in to places that were difficult to access on foot, find a spot to land and then trek in to the area they wanted to detect...Found a lot of gold by sluicing and detecting. They used the Gold Spears to find likely good panning and sluicing spots. I purchased their Gold spears after they gave the game away. Don't know what happened to the A2Bs. This couple are gone now.
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar on Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:19 am

Hi Adrian,
Wrote a story years ago on an observation I made of a wasp & a spider episode. Will try and dig it out of the archives, was when the site was hosted by MSN and Jeff had just kicked it off.
The event spanned over 1 1/2 hours.

Peter
Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2024
Registration date : 2008-10-25

http://s4.zetaboards.com/Gold_Detecting/index/

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss on Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:56 am

That sounds like an interesting read mate. Hope you can find it.

About two years ago I had a Wolf Spider camped in my front lawn. His nest was a burrow he had dug out and he/she would sit down the hole during the day looking up at the sky. This bugger was a real mean looking son of a gun with seriously large fangs. Anyway i got so used to him being there he was almost a pet.
Then one morning I was looking out the window and spotted my spider bolting across the lawn with a dirty big black and yellow striped wasp hot on his heals.
Spider dived down his burrow and the wasp went straight in after him.
Now you would reckon that the wolf spider was big enough to take down a Sherman tank but no. The wasp terminated my spider in no time flat and was last seen trying to fly away with it which it did after a bit of a rough take off. It is a rough life in the many legged critter kingdom. affraid

Pic of garden wolf Spider like my pet one.

To the Americans who want to come out here and detect our gold fields and who have heard about our "Drop bears" and deadly snakes n spiders.
This pic is life size... affraid Q24 Q24 Q24 Q24. Hope yer got thick boots. Q35...Would I lie to you?? Rolling Eyes

Last edited by adrian ss on Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:04 am; edited 1 time in total
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  someday on Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:29 pm

Hello Very Happy

a couplu months ago we had a bogong moth chilling out near our back door, then along came a bee?? looked just like a bee!
anyway the bee lookalike homed in on the back of the moths head and began to repeatedly sting poor old mothy then nothing??
about half hour later mister or miss's bee lookalike came back and started devouring the back of poor mothy's head V45
Ain't never seen nothing like that before and be quite happy to never see it again!!

Bye Bye
someday
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1583
Registration date : 2012-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss on Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:07 am

Sounds like some kind of Wasp??
Maybe this one? The European Wasp.

adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  kiwijw on Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:29 pm

Ohhhh....those bastards....we have them. They take over the bush in the summer months. They build massive hives/nests. Horrible things. I was out detecting a few years ago. Strolling along swinging my coil. Got a signal, scraped the ground. Signal had improved so lay in to the dig a bit more aggressively. Came to a rock about the size of a soft ball. Pulled the rock out with my pick.....& all hell broke loose. affraid  Wasps pouring out of the ground flying up every where around me. In a split second I realised the predicament I was/could be in.  Q12 I was out of there quicker than lightening. Expecting the swarm of wasps to be all over me like a rash. Luckily for me they seemed more concerned with there "nest" & didnt chase after me. Thank god. Q10  I have been back there, very carefully & cautiously, but the wasps where gone & so was the signal. But I did get a bit of gold not far from that spot. So not all was lost. Cheers.  

JW V08
kiwijw
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1817
Registration date : 2010-09-02

Back to top Go down

Post  someday on Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:05 pm

Lol Adrian, nup it wasn't no euro trash, looked like a bee flew like a bee yet stung multiple times which makes it a wasp Shocked
we got plenty of euro's around, find there hole in the ground then tip petrol down.. woof cheers
also got the standard paper and hornets!
someday
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1583
Registration date : 2012-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss on Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:07 pm

Well I'll bee blowed. Sure beets mee Very Happy  scratch
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:07 pm

affraid
Doesn't take the big black wasp's long to make a nest and fill it..

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss on Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:31 pm

So who painted the spiders green??   Suspect
Very choosy wasp.
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:49 pm

adrian ss wrote:So who painted the spiders green??   Suspect
Very choosy wasp.

Thats how they were when I broke open the nest
You will see there are two darker ones..
Even one looks like it has eye balls painted on it back Suspect
They were all soft, and bloated.. yuk!
Alive but paralized..

Don't know what type of spiders they were. They are all about the same size though.

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss on Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:02 am

I have not been able to ID those green spiders Jen.  scratch
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top