GPZ 19 coil and other matters (Post back on track)

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: GPZ 19 coil and other matters (Post back on track)

Post  norvic on Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:15 pm

The success I`ve had with the 19" in normal has certainly got me changing the way I`ve used the Z. Normal over difficult sure is the way to go if the ground allows it. I suspect the 19" is a more refined coil then the 14, but that is to be expected as ZVT is only in its infancy. Be interesting to see when a smaller coil becomes available if this suspicion is correct.

norvic
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2015-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Qld Sandy on Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:32 pm

AraratGold wrote:A short clip of one of 3 found today for 10 grams.
Note the almost non-existent response in difficult ground mode, but very bright signal in normal, which is the mode I was using today.
Sensitivity at 17, no audio smoothing.
Rick

Nice find Rick. You don't seem to be having any pinpointing issues with that puppy eh. lol!
I've gone back to using normal far more often as it really does lift the response. With the advent of smooth type timings we have become lazy sods and are prepared to use those timings probably too often. Back in the 3500 days and earlier there wasn't really any timing that removed pretty much all ground noise, so we got used to the moaning and groaning on some soils, unless we put on one of those damn DD things. NOT.
Cheers.
Qld Sandy
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 664
Registration date : 2008-10-18

http://www.goldcitydetecting.com

Back to top Go down

Post  AraratGold on Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:06 pm

Qld Sandy wrote:
AraratGold wrote:A short clip of one of 3 found today for 10 grams.
Note the almost non-existent response in difficult ground mode, but very bright signal in normal, which is the mode I was using today.
Sensitivity at 17, no audio smoothing.
Rick

Nice find Rick. You don't seem to be having any pinpointing issues with that puppy eh. lol!
I've gone back to using normal far more often as it really does lift the response. With the advent of smooth type timings we have become lazy sods and are prepared to use those timings probably too often. Back in the 3500 days and earlier there wasn't really any timing that removed pretty much all ground noise, so we got used to the moaning and groaning on some soils, unless we put on one of those damn DD things.  NOT.
Cheers.

Gidday Pete,
Yeh, no pinpointing issues at all ! Any of the much deeper bigger ones I just use the Propointer.

The " DOG ", as Reg labelled it, has really being " coughing up " on my old patches, despite the long grass that you can see in the video.  Very Happy

DD's, don't start swearing at me !

Cheers,
Rick

AraratGold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 313
Registration date : 2009-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Troopy on Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:07 pm

Martin R wrote:Thanks JP for clearing a few things up, for me at least anyways, and the mentioning of our (yours and mine) mate Pete.
Both of you know your stuff and you're (both of you) guidance over the years has been top shelf in setting things straight , I to have found color with the 14"Z coil left behind one of them a 20gr
Its sad that forums in general are not what they used to be compared to the say, 3000/3500 days , JP I do miss your instructional DVD's as they helped so many of us out there I know the Z is far simpler to use but there are a few tricks one needs to learn for themselves this all takes time
Are there any plans in making a "Z" DVD ?

Cheers Marty

The demise of instructional DVD's i believe are the result of all the tightarse/cheapskate/skizzle A*s*/frugal etc etc that walk among us that aren't willing to part with the cash to buy a legitimate copy and i think i remember JP saying he was at a caravan park in the west and some guy was cranking out pirated copies of one of his DVD's to anyone that wanted one, so why would he bother, i know i wouldn't.

Troopy
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2009-10-04

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan Porter on Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:35 am

Troopy wrote:The demise of instructional DVD's i believe are the result of all the tightarse/cheapskate/skizzle A*s*/frugal etc etc that walk among us that aren't willing to part with the cash to buy a legitimate copy and i think i remember JP saying he was at a caravan park in the west and some guy was cranking out pirated copies of one of his DVD's to anyone that wanted one, so why would he bother, i know i wouldn't.

Troopy thanks for telling it how it is.Wink I don't make the decision to not do DVDs anymore to punish people but instead have to focus on where the next dollar comes from, these days its in providing good training and advice for our OBP customers with one on one instruction with their detector purchases, this keeps me very busy. I miss the creativity and story telling of filming and editing but the many thousands of hours of work for the return made it no longer viable. Never say never though because I do like a challenge. cheers

I am working on the GPZ 19 nugget dig phone footage as we speak so once its done I'll let people know where it ends up being hosted.

JP
Jonathan Porter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 769
Registration date : 2008-11-25

http://www.theoutbackprospector.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post  davsgold on Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:40 am

G'day JP

I look forward to the nugget dig footage I'm sure it will be good viewing. Very Happy

cheers dave
davsgold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 5334
Registration date : 2008-10-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Ridge Runner on Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:08 pm

JP, any news on the video yet ? I have enjoyed this thread of yours, Keep up the good work mate,

John.

Ridge Runner
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 121
Registration date : 2015-05-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan Porter on Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:40 am

Ridge Runner wrote:JP, any news on the video yet ? I have enjoyed this thread of yours, Keep up the good work mate,

John.

Hey mate, its still a work in progress, shop business keeps getting in the way. Plan on powering on with it later today once I've made up some more B&Z boosters. affraid

JP
Jonathan Porter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Ridge Runner on Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:39 pm

Jonathan Porter wrote:
Ridge Runner wrote:JP, any news on the video yet ? I have enjoyed this thread of yours, Keep up the good work mate,

John.

Hey mate, its still a work in progress, shop business keeps getting in the way. Plan on powering on with it later today once I've made up some more B&Z boosters. affraid

JP

Thanks JP your a Diamond, good luck with the Boosters.

John.

Ridge Runner
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 121
Registration date : 2015-05-16

Back to top Go down

GPZ coil

Post  ttrash on Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:44 am

New vid from Nenad on the Z19

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=em-subs_digest&v=cMAGcaWtsGM
ttrash
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 570
Registration date : 2011-11-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan Porter on Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:24 pm

Hello everyone on this forum, a lot has happened since I filmed this including the banning of some members and the leaving of others for their own personal reasons. The video and accompanying blog has finally gone up on the Minelab web site and YouTube page so hopefully people will remember after all this time what this thread was all about and the reasons behind my writing it in the first place.

I'm happy to answer questions here or if things get too heated on Steve's Detector Prospector Forum.  

GPZ19 compared to GPZ14 coil

Regards
JP
Jonathan Porter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin R on Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:55 pm

Hi JP
Thanks for sharing your info on the coil settings

How much gain were you using and did you have the smoothing off ?
was your Volume still at 15 and TH at 25
with ext speaker vol limit around 3 ?

Nice nugget btw , your starting the show your age, you young Bloke you , getting a little gray in the beard as well good to see Wink Wink Very Happy

Marty

Martin R
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2008-10-29

Back to top Go down

Post  GOLDGASM on Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:42 pm

Great vid jp, the 19" is looking good. Next time your down in vic I want an exclusive one on one package T06

Cheers GG
GOLDGASM
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 254
Registration date : 2011-06-30

Back to top Go down

Post  davsgold on Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:27 pm

Just watched the video JP, a great piece of footage showing clearly the difference between the two coils and the advantage of using "General Difficult" has a distance advantage over the other settings.

Thanks for taking the time and effort required to put this together. T06

cheers dave
davsgold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Ash100456 on Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:49 am

Thanks JP for posting it up. Much appreciated
Cheers
Ashley
Ash100456
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 881
Registration date : 2009-11-05

Back to top Go down

Post  norvic on Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:37 am

Tis a magic coil the 19 for sure, got that way for me I can`t see me taking it off the Z. Has the sensitivity for most of the small stuff and that power to punch extra deep, leaves sweet bugger all for the 14. The best large coil-MD combo so far for me, MLs going to have their work cut out to better that, but they will.

norvic
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Axtyr on Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:21 am

G'day Jonathan.

I couldn't locate the video on the Minelab website. I was looking in the "success stories" section, maybe it is somewhere else?

Regards Axtyr.

Last edited by Axtyr on Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:22 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Name spelt incorrectly.)

Axtyr
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 418
Registration date : 2014-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan Porter on Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:23 am

Axtyr wrote:G'day Jonathon.

I couldn't locate the video on the Minelab website. I was looking in the "success stories" section, maybe it is somewhere else?

Regards Axtyr.

Just click on the link in my comment above, or click HERE instead.

JP
Jonathan Porter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Axtyr on Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:09 pm

Got it thanks Jonathan.

You were quick. I edited your name in my original post immediately after posting, but your response had the incorrect spelling in there.

Regards Axtyr.

Axtyr
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 418
Registration date : 2014-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan Porter on Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:44 am

Going back through this post from the start, the silence from the original detractors of the GPZ19 coil on this thread is deafening. Exclamation  Suspect

JP

Last edited by Jonathan Porter on Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:08 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Removed sections that are now out of context due to moderation)
Jonathan Porter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  norvic on Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:07 am

Crikey, I`d love to comply and give ya some curry to flavour your morn JP, but I can`t bitch about a coil that produces. I think initially we might have all been running the Z too hot, just pure operator error.

norvic
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  alchemist on Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:52 am

Thanks JP for taking the time to post up the video proof of the doggone 19" abilities.

The comparison would've even been greater in the 19" favor before you took off the first foot or so.

I guess you were running near FP gain, she was running pretty smooth.

I'm like you, when I first switch on my 7000, I break into an ear to ear smile and get a tingle all over with anticipation.

Cheers.
Kev.
alchemist
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 482
Registration date : 2009-01-06

Back to top Go down

Post  davsgold on Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:05 am

G'day JP

Words were not enough for the critics, they wanted, even demanded video proof of the big coils capabilities, well now they have that and it quite clearly shows a big advantage used it the right situation on an undug target at depth.

I think you have silenced the critics. Very Happy and the rest have taken your earlier advice about settings on how to run the big coil and are getting out there and using it. Very Happy

cheers dave
davsgold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  alchemist on Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:52 am

day one wrote:
Neither you or I and probably JP know which way in the ground that piece was laying. 22 inches on that 26 grammer may have been an extraordinary depth to get it.
Unbelievable.

That's a good point, and added to the fact that herring bone crystaline varieties don't always have contiguous conductivity throughout all the lobes making the target appear much smaller to the detector and of course detected at a much reduced range.

I know for a fact a large number of my finds from old "worked out" patches were wedged in basement crevices on edge, and no other detector could hear them but the Z.
22" on a sideways piece could be exceptional.

Anyway nearly 2 feet on a piece like that with Difficult ground type is not that bad.

I've had a number of deep targets the 19" could detect but the 14" or Gpx with coils up to 18" didn't, not even in Normal, maybe Sharp with a large DD may have, but I very much doubt it.

Mostly very deep iron unfortunately, but you've got to have a ticket to have a chance of winning a prize, the point that the iron was still there after nearly 40 years despite scouring by numerous detector combinations, means they could have easily been nice lumps.
alchemist
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 on Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:58 pm

Alas, no more comments on this matter from me fellas. I parted with my 19 inch coil a couple of weeks back, but don't anyone here miss-understand me, for I couldn't be happier, for the ones that are happy, happy, happy (Duck Dynasty Laughing ) with their new 19 inch GPZ coil investment.  Good on ya JP, well done on the 26 gm nugget, found by the GPZ 19 inch coil, as compared to the nugget being barely heard/picked up, by the 14 inch coil (as seen on your video).  
There are some things in life, (and I refer to myself) that no matter what I try to achieve, or hope to get out of life, just don't go my way. Unfortunately, the 19 inch GPZ coil for "me", was one of them instances. Sad  Such is life. Smile  
As for my GPZ 7000 investment, coupled to that brilliant 14x13 inch coil it comes with, well, lets just say, that I'm as happy, as a pig in mud puddle, on a warm sunny day. Shocked Q35
Best of luck chasing the "Golden Ointment" out there ladies & gents. cheers

Cheers Kon. Q11
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4999
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  rc62burke on Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:15 pm

Now I don't own a GPZ but have used one & know it to be a great bit of kit!!

But lets get back to the whole crux of this great debate!! "The advertised" 30% increase in performance over the GPZ14 " coil on a range of target "2 gram to multi ounce nuggets" that was the claim was it not ???
I would not be too concerned about the large nuggets too much as we all know they are less numerous than say those .5g to say 10g so looking at the 30% increase over the advertised nugget range ! stands to reason the GPZ19" should be reaping many many ounces of the above 2 gram nuggets over flogged ground right???????

So is this the case or not??????
rc62burke
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2050
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Back to top Go down

Post  alchemist on Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:48 am

rc62burke wrote:Now I don't own a GPZ but have used one & know it to be a great bit of kit!!

But lets get back to the whole crux of this great debate!! "The advertised" 30% increase in performance over the GPZ14 " coil on a range of target "2 gram to multi ounce nuggets" that was the claim was it not ???
I would not be too concerned about the large nuggets too much as we all know they are less numerous than say those .5g to say 10g so looking at the 30% increase over the advertised nugget range ! stands to reason the GPZ19" should be reaping many many ounces of the above 2 gram nuggets over flogged ground right???????

So is this the case or not??????

No Lee, not for me.
Let's admit it, we all know that Minelabs' depth figures are "best case" best case is never typical, it is the best that can be hoped for in atypical circumstances, but like the Zed itself I've had recoveries much greater than the figures suggest.

I was a little disappointed at first with the 19" but eventually I found some targets that rekindled my confidence, and there have been some ripper finds posted in some out of the way places that confirm to me that the coil does search very deep.

The problem is deposition-geo-dynamics, for want of a better word, meaning that errosion tends to leave heavy items near the erosion surface specifically in eluvial and aeolian situations. So there is not always gold where we might imagine it is, and these very same erosion metrics can separate out into isolation the very heavy ones.

For me the 19" is for use in special search missions not for general patch pacing. I don't have high expectations I just do it for the fun of it, so I am happy, 30% is irrelevant to me.
alchemist
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  norvic on Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:57 am

Me too I was disappointed at first with the 19, but then I changed to JPs recos and it all fell together. At this stage I am using the 19 for patch hunting successfully, but my country is different, the heavy's are on or near the bed rock, they have not been redeposited are below the broken down reefs that shed them, the further down the slope the more depth the larger the pieces are, very rarely getting into the creeks.

So over the years we have hunted out the  shallow stuff just below the reefs and further down with the PIs and their large coils, it is in such places the 19 has shown its strength. Because the 19 is also not far behind the 14 in sensitivity, it has become at this stage my patch hunting coil. I say at this stage because experience has taught me to produce in this game you must be capable of using a open mind positively. My country also is not very hot country and in a lot of areas I can hunt in normal with the 19 wheras with the 14 difficult is the go.

This positive stuff is why I use the 19, and why I post in this thread which was started by JP to illustrate the positives of the 19, not to dwell on the negatives that have been flogged to death.

norvic
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 on Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:51 pm

Resurrection? Shocked  Since when did this forum die off, necessitating the need for a resurrection Norvic?  The occasional exorcism every now & again wouldn't hurt, for when things get out of hand maybe, but not a full resurrection. This forum has gone through many an up & down over the years, only to still be here.  As a matter of fact & as far as I'm concerned, this forum is one of the most outspoken gold detecting/prospecting forums in Aus.  Every member here, has the right to state their opinion, on any post put up, as they see fit & then be judged accordingly for it.
Who was it that once said, "You can criticise the product or the way things were handled, but don't shoot down the messenger"
Whether members wish to put up pictures of their gold finds or not, is strictly up to them. No one is demanding anything of anyone.
As far as the 19 inch GPZ coil goes, all I can suggest, to any GPZ user is, "Try, before you buy" & make up your own minds, as to whether or not, the larger coil, would be of benefit to you.
Now, can we all stop with the criticism & move on to more promising events?  Smile

Cheers Kon. Q11
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4999
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

-gpz-19-coil-and-other-matters

Post  bloodgold2 on Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:06 pm

Hi Norvic, mate I have seen just some the nuggets you have found :)in areas we sometimes pass through, we class you as a prospector to RESPECT.
bloodgold2
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 128
Registration date : 2017-04-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top