My Double D gaiters paid their way yesterday

View previous topic View next topic Go down

My Double D gaiters paid their way yesterday

Post  Tributer on Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:57 am

I guess you had to be there.....no images sorry, don't want to show an image of a poor dead snake.
I live in the NSW tablelands where the snakes are very thick on the ground. I was herding steers up to yards for market yesterday ($1300 each at the moment) so i put on my DD gaiters (nearly didn't). I walked firmly on a largish (4ft long) black snake 6'' down from the head and it banged hard on my gaiters (about where the webbing is on the side of my redbacks) and it chomped away. In an instant I just stamped continually on it head with the other boot and managed to crush its head. I kept stomping for a minute on the thrashing snake before I was willing to step off it.......The adrenaline rush made my legs wobbly for an hour afterwards.

Wear your gaiters when required boys and girls...and wear them loosely.
tributer
Tributer
Management

Number of posts : 994
Registration date : 2008-10-27

Back to top Go down

Re: My Double D gaiters paid their way yesterday

Post  cruiser1 on Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:10 am

Very lucky there tributer.Thanks for posting this as it was only the other day that I was looking at the gaiters on fleaybay and thinking of getting some.With the beginning of the season coming up in a couple of months we always try to get away bush as early as possible which means the tail end of summer when snakes are still active.You have now just convinced me to purchase a set.

Thanks

Cheers

Phil

cruiser1
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2014-02-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Harb on Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:12 am

crickey.....years ago I had a similar scare........i was shoving my hand up under the star wheel plate on a conbine grabbing rats nest remains out when my next handful was a small brown snake.......scared the hell out of me, and I had just his head sticking out of my hand so he couldnt strike..........I banged and banged his head on the side of the combine until my hand and his head were near puverised before I let go.......that was probably the closest I have ever come to a smake bite......it still chills me when I thing about it.
Harb
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 715
Registration date : 2010-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Tributer on Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:36 am

Snake footnote. I kid you not, after posting the snake incident, I walked outside a few minutes ago and there is a 5ft long snake skin that was shed overnight laying on the rock wall near the cloths line........looks like I will be exclusively hanging up the washing now until I find the skins owner.
tributer

PS at my small hobby farm the snakes are bad enough, but at this time of year, stepping on or near the high number of snake skins laying around is almost as rough on the nerves and adrenaline reserves.
tributer
Tributer
Management

Number of posts : 994
Registration date : 2008-10-27

Back to top Go down

Post  flouro on Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:59 am

Hi Tribs,

Glad "you" never got bitten, snakes are always present we mostly never see them but they can see us, it's their time to be out and about so be extra extra careful but they will soon disappear again

If you have a cat I would be blaming it for herding them up, our neighbour used to have a cat called dugite and it used to herd them up and bring them home and our cat does the same but not only snakes but lizards birds and all

At the moment we have a King Skink parked under the fridge, we can tell because we left a couple of grape tomatoes down and theve been squished all over the fridge door, so he's definitely there and I'm blamin the cat, that's one of me jobs for the day...getting him out and they bite real hard, he's about 2' long

At least you know your alive if your legs are still shakin an hour later, well executed by the way...

Ron

flouro
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2014-10-04

Back to top Go down

Post  Rege-PA on Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:40 pm

I`m not very fast, asked Santa for a pair of Snake Guards and he did not let me down. Something you don`t need until you do, then you really need them affraid

Rege-PA
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 158
Registration date : 2011-05-16

Back to top Go down

Post  au-fever on Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:57 am

That's the thing with snakes, more often than not you don't see them and don't even know you have been bitten sometimes until you start to feel crook Suspect some years back just outside of Cue I almost stepped on a snake as I was detecting, I happened to look down and it was between my feet, I plonked the coil on to its back and it had a few bites at it then took off, I chucked some rocks at it to send it on its way, it then dived beneath some leaf litter at the base of a tree that you would not have though enough to conceal it but it did. cyclops

The thing that amazed me the most was that it was bloody freezing and windy, and just after first light so its not the time you would associate with a snake being active at all, as you tend to think that they are only about and active in the warmer weather which is obviously not correct, had I stepped on it and been bitten without seeing it I would not have realised until I was feeling the effects, after this episode and from seeing many snakes in spinifex country affraid I always wear gaiters now, and the upside is that they also help to keep out midges, ticks and biting ants, better safe than sorry I guess.

au-fever

au-fever
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 114
Registration date : 2016-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post  WF2.0 on Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:59 am

Glad you are OK. It must have been an experience I'm sure you won't forget soon. The Gators are a great addition to the kit as you don't have to be so wary while walking around. In your case they saved you a trip to the hospital. Cheers

WF2.0
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2016-07-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Curley on Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:52 am

Close call there mate, sure would have got the heart pumping, just as well you put the gaiters on!
Deb could milk this by going around collecting shed skins and strategically placing them near the clothesline so you will have to keep hanging the washing.
She wouldn’t do that would she? Twisted Evil
Good to hear you are still in one piece.
Cheers
Curley
Curley
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 220
Registration date : 2008-11-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down