SDC 2300 Run Time

View previous topic View next topic Go down

SDC 2300 Run Time

Post  adrian ss on Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:55 am

I am getting approx 3.5 hours out of my SDC from 4500mah Nimh before the battery warning tone comes on....Not happy Jan.
     What are others achieving?
This morning everything was ticking away nicely when I pinged another gold ring and about 15 seconds later the tecta stopped and the battery flat tone activated.So only just found that ring......Gold is gold no matter what it looks like. Very Happy

If  there is supposed to be a battery low warning light come on I have yet to  notice it.

adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1045
Registration date : 2015-07-03

Back to top Go down

Re: SDC 2300 Run Time

Post  davsgold on Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:25 am

Yep a couple of things Adrian, either the batteries are not getting fully charged or one or more of them is faulty.
are these new Nimh or fairly old ones, the originals that came with the machine are 5000mah

You can check the amount of charge when fitted to the detector by pressing the two buttons at once, (in the manual) also the rechargable will never show full charge lights on the detector as 1.2v x 4 batteries only equals 4.8v and even when fully charged straight out of the charger they only come up to about 5.5v max for a very short time and drop off real quick.

The Alkaline type start of at 1.6v x 4 which equals 6.4 volts.

This is one reason we went to the Li-ion 18650 setup, these are flat at 6v where the other types at full charge.

In any case you should be getting a full days detecting out of your rechargables, (like 7 hours or more) we did when we were using them.

cheers dave

davsgold
Management

Number of posts : 5194
Registration date : 2008-10-25

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss on Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:21 pm

Hi Dave.
I just ran a short cct current draw check on my batteries and although these Powertech batteries are rated at 4500 mah, the best I can get from them is 2900 mah. So! That doesn't help much hey!?  That plus the fact that they are NiMh 1.2 v batteries probably accounts for the short run time.

The detector draws approx 500ma and therefore an actual 2900mah battery capability will only run the tecta for something less than 5.8 hours if all things were perfect. The detector shuts down before the batteries are totally drained so 3.5 hours is probably correct for my dodgy batteries. 

I will try cycling them from fully flat to fully charged a few times and see if their capacity picks up a bit. Today was the first time I have let them go low enough to set off the warning tone. Normally I keep them topped up after each session. The SDC was working fine right up until the warning tone came on.

Last edited by adrian ss on Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss on Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:42 pm

The problmo with the Li Po batteries is that ML have indicated to me that the warranty will be void if damage  is caused to the detector as a direct result of using those batteries.

adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  davsgold on Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:54 pm

G'day James

I reckon these 26650's might also be a good option, we have the 18650 and adapters and never had a problem. These 26650's with a lesser voltage rating maybe better for those that are afraid the other option has to high voltage.

Adrian if the 18650's were going to do any harm I think we would have herd about it by now. Laughing

cheers dave

davsgold
Management

Number of posts : 5194
Registration date : 2008-10-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:26 pm

I have been using the 18650 batteries..
no smoke yet Very Happy

My first lot of spare batteries i brought for my sdc2300 were these..

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss on Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:51 pm

I prefer not to take a chance on loosing my warranty so I will stick to the NiMh and alkaline's for now.
The fact that my NiMh battery capacity is way below specs will satisfy me until I find out if they can recover after a few full charge discharge cycles. If they don't then higher capacity batts are on the agenda.

Last edited by adrian ss on Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss on Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:59 pm

Also Li Po do not like being knocked about whereas alkaline and NiMh and carbon cells can withstand a bit of banging about and have never been known to burst into flame. If your LiPo batts appear to be expanding, bulging or changing shape then ditch them fast.........Don't chuck them out the car window into the bush, they can be great fire starters..

adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss on Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:30 pm

I purchased a LiPo battery pack for my Sov XS. The battery was fine, looked great and the tecta worked very  well but after approx 30 hours of use and a few top up recharges the pack began to show signs of shape shifting  alien. So out it went and back came my hip mounted  gell cell.......I do like new technology but only if it is absolutely necessary. Suspect

adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss on Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:42 pm

Li-ion batteries are more risky than your average run of the mill Alkaline and NiMh
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/safety_concerns_with_li_ion

adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss on Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:55 pm

Hey JB.
I am sensing a feeling of warmth and kindness  from you towards LiIon batteries.  Very Happy.......I am still not going to put them in my SDC but.  Laughing coz I am old school and still a bit  Suspect about them.

adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss on Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:50 pm

Q25 Q25 Q25
Dragging a car battery!!... Mate if I told you the truth you would not believe it. pale

adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  au-fever on Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:38 am

What is the maximum voltage you can put into the sdc2300?, if the two 18650 li ion cells are 3.7 volts so that's 7.4, I was told it was about 7.2v initially, anyway if they run without issue on 7.4 volts the 2300 has in inbuilt regulator, if so what is the actual power requirement that is needed to run the electronics that it take from the regulator, and what's the highest voltage the regulator can handle being put into it?

I made up a battery system for mine that uses a sony handicam 7.2 v 7500 mah type li ion battery, an insert that goes into the battery compartment of the sdc, so that I can plug a curly cable directly in to the back of it, using a standard type four pin plug, and also made a short cable with jack plug going from the insert to the adapter cable for audio, that way I can run the bz booster that's on my harness as well, anyway I used an adjustable step down converter to set the voltage at about 6.2 volts to be on the safe side, it works fine at that but if the regulator in the detector can handle 7.4 volts being put into it I can do away with the step down converter, I decide to do it that way to be sure that I wouldn't cook the detector as when I made it the conversion to use the 18650 3.7 batteries was not around and I could not get a direct answer about the voltage capability of the sdc.

au-fever

au-fever
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2016-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Axtyr on Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:33 am

Adrian, if you're using the Minelab charger on the batteries then the batteries may be the problem, or the fast charge is damaging the batteries.
I have 5000 mAh Nimh batteries which I charge using a Jaycar Powertech MB-3505 charger and because it is a slow charger it takes 2.5 days to fully charge them. The second and third times I charged them the torch went flat very quickly, after about 9 months it wouldn't work after practically no use.

I checked the batteries and 2 of them were at a very low charge. I discovered that the charger has 2 indicator lights to show when it is charging each set of 2 batteries but the light comes on when only one battery is placed into a compartment. So one battery will definitely be charging but the other may not, or it may be charging much slower if the connection is not good. That way you will get one battery fully charged from each side and the other battery may be partially charged or flat.

Since you need the batteries to be charged quickly then you probably aren't using the Powertech charger, but if you are or have a similar charger then check it.

Regards Axtyr.

Axtyr
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 376
Registration date : 2014-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss on Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:56 am

I am using an Enecharger NC1500U.
This charger seems to be doing a good job so far.
Each battery is charged individually and charging stops for each battery when it is fully charged and then the charger goes into a trickle charge rate for each battery as it becomes fully charged.
It has not damaged any of my other batteries.

After a full recharge from flat I went out for a quick detect this morning for approx 1/2 an hour. I have just rechecked the current delivering capability of these batteries before. re charging.
The short cct current is now down to 2500ma. So I believe these Powertech batteries are crap. Rated at 4500mah but can only deliver a max draw of 2900 when full and down to 2500ma after just a half hour of tecting.

adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Sharkbait on Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:44 am

adrian ss wrote:I am getting approx 3.5 hours out of my SDC from 4500mah Nimh before the battery warning tone comes on....Not happy Jan.
     What are others achieving?
This morning everything was ticking away nicely when I pinged another gold ring and about 15 seconds later the tecta stopped and the battery flat tone activated.So only just found that ring......Gold is gold no matter what it looks like. Very Happy

If  there is supposed to be a battery low warning light come on I have yet to  notice it.

Adrian,if you're sticking with standard NiMh C Cells,these are well worth a try..I have had these in my SDC for close on 12 months now,with multiple charges and I regularly get 6 to 8hrs detecting time with them.
I am using the standard Enecharger that came with the SDC cheers

http://www.urbanoutback.com.au/4-x-c-size-5000mah-tenergy-premium-1.2v-ni-mh-rech

Sharkbait
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 709
Registration date : 2013-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss on Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:32 pm

I agree. Don't regularly let Lithium batteries run to dead flat between charges.
Now flat for the 2300 is something like approx 0.8 to 1 volt per cell. this is not dead Flat as in allowing the batteries to get down to  zero volts or even possibly reverse polarity.. Allowing this to happen between charge cycles (you will not know unless you do a cell voltage check. Who does that?) will very much shorten the life of the battery.
Therefore I do not believe that simply running these cells to the point where the low battery warning activates will adversely effect the batteries in the long term.
Maybe I be wrong.
If you put your detector away in the cupboard for a year or two then recharge the batts  now and again, but don't let them go dead flat to zero volts because they may not be recoverable.

I tried to recharge an old camera battery the other day. It was dead as a maggot that has been flattened by an elephant..
I bunged it in the charger and after approx half an hour the charger smoked itself.
I think that the internal resistance of the battery got so low that it presented a virtual short cct to the charger (Unbeknowns to me) and the charger could not hack the pace. One of my favourite chargers...GRRRRRRRRRRRR

adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  au-fever on Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:44 am

I don't have an SDC (as already stated) but since Dave, Jen and many others are running 2S (two lithium ion cells in series) then part of your question answers itself:

Yes, the SDC must be internally regulated, like nearly all modern detectors.

Minelab won't disclose the maximum allowable voltage but make warranty threats when people use li-ion cells, so it can therefore be assumed that a fully charged 2s li-ion pack is about the pre-smoke limit. This can be as high as 8.4 volts BTW, but drops off rapidly once charging ceases.

What this means in your case is that you can safely disconnect your voltage converter and run your detector directly off your camera battery. This will have an additional advantage;  Before your camera battery is completely discharged, the detector will start beeping. Over discharge considerably shortens the life of all lithium based cells.[/quote]

As I said when I first built this battery system the 2x 3.7v li ion batteries were not being used by anyone, and the because no information was available to me on the voltage I decided to use the converter, some systems that I have used before have a soft start circuit included so that it does not supply a sudden high voltage to the detector that will make it shut down rather than let it be damaged, I believe the coiltek pocket rockets were designed that way for the gpx detectors, so hence the maximum voltage for the sdc being unknown it was safer to make sure that the voltage was similar to the output of the c cells.

Because there is no information to say "yes the SDC must be internally regulated, like nearly all modern detectors", firstly you can take the chance and pump a higher voltage into it but if you are wrong you fry the detectors electronics, and if you think about it because the detector compartment will only take the 4 c size batteries, and an off the shelf c cell is 1.5v x 4 that is 6v and rechargeable c cells are 1.2v x 4 that is 4.8v, and there is nothing available that I know of battery wise that will fit directly into the compartment so I think its safe to say that minelab would not have expected anyone to be able to shove something into it that would have damaged it, making an insert or dummy batteries and attaching it to an external battery is another matter, better to err on the side of caution I guess.

I am aware of the li ion battery characteristics and have been using them since the first of the coiltek pocket rocket systems came into play, that's why I decided to go that way, whoever decided to use the 3.7 volt li ion batteries either shoved them straight in and took a punt, or they knew what the sdc could handle voltage wise, or they did like me and used a converter and adjusted it in increments to find out what would shut it down, I can adjust the voltage up or down on my system and I already know that they can run on 7.4 using the two 18650 3.7 v li ion batteries but as the battery I use is a much higher capacity and will charge to a much higher rate than the 18650 batteries I wanted to make sure rather than run it directly to the detector.

I always top up my li ion batteries and make sure that I store them fully charged, and in the off season take them all out and charge them every couple of months, I have done the same thing since the first coiltek pocket rocket system that I bought back when I was using a gp extreme and have had very little problems with them so thought that they would be ideal to use with the sdc.

au-fever

au-fever
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2016-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top