which is the best discriminator detector for shallow gold?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

which is the best discriminator detector for shallow gold?

Post  kevlorraine2 on Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:55 pm

hi fellas,
i have a paddock where i have found small gold (and a few deeper to 9grams) mostely only shallow though.

problem is, it is filthy with rubbish from 150 years from gold hunters of all sorts. so thick with signals, you have to walk over continuous signals until a meter or so of quiet, allows you to listen to a isolated noise and asses if it is worth digging.

i think the coin detectors have the best discriminators? if so, which would be the best to register small gold down to a couple of inches?

i had heard some talk about the gold bug 2, that tells me it would be one to consider, any help would be appreciated ... kev Very Happy

kevlorraine2
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 481
Registration date : 2008-10-23

Back to top Go down

Re: which is the best discriminator detector for shallow gold?

Post  kiwijw on Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:10 pm

Hi Kev, If you are wanting discrimination then your best bet is a VLF gold machine. Like you have said...the Gold Bug 2. Good discrimination & deadly on small gold. I used mine yesterday & found 37 pieces of gold, & 5 thousand million shot gun pellets V41 , for just over 2 grams. One piece was a wee speci that weighed .4 of a gram. So that should tell you how small the rest of the gold was. OK...they werent very deep. Wouldnt have been any where near two inches, but if they were bigger then yes. Then there is Whites GMT. Still deadly on small gold, maybe not as small as the Bug but with more depth than the Gold Bug 2 on bigger bits. That is due to its slightly lower operating frequency. There is the Gold Bug Pro & Whites MXT. They are probably your best bets. I will put up some links from Steve Herchbach's site regarding his thoughts on these detectors for you to ponder over.

http://www.detectorprospector.com/gold-prospecting-equipment/fisher-gold-bug-2-nugget-metal-detector.htm

http://www.detectorprospector.com/gold-prospecting-equipment/whites-electronics-gmt-metal-detector.htm

http://www.detectorprospector.com/gold-prospecting-equipment/fisher-gold-bug-pro-nugget-metal-detector.htm

http://www.detectorprospector.com/gold-prospecting-equipment/whites-electronics-mxt-metal-detector.htm

Hope that is of some help. Cheers

JW  V08
kiwijw
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1817
Registration date : 2010-09-02

Back to top Go down

Post  ivanll on Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:05 pm

ivanll
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 232
Registration date : 2009-05-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hand on Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:14 pm

hI Kev I have tried many vlf for the same job the best 1 was a old Tesoro Dingo made for aus conditions hard to find these days regards john Very Happy
Old Hand
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 406
Registration date : 2012-03-31

http://www.servimg.com

Back to top Go down

Post  kiwijw on Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:05 pm

kiwijw
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  kevlorraine2 on Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:59 pm

thanks fellas, after a bit of reading i reckon i would like to get a - fisher gold bug pro - ebay has a add for a brand new gold bug pro for $600.
i get the vibes that is a knock up version as its a factory in china. anybody know about that ?

gumtree has no listings of one.

for starters i will put a add in the buy and sell column at this forum and see if anybody has one they would like to pass on to me. (and if it drives me crazy, i will know who you are Shocked )... kev

kevlorraine2
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  kiwijw on Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:15 am

Tread carefully Kev. You may be better getting from a reputable source. Might be a few hundred dollars more,,,,but peace of mind knowing you have the real deal & with an honest warranty. A lot of guys over here in NZ use them & with good results,,,,so probably a good choice for the money. Let us know how you get on. Cheers.

Good luck out there. T06

JW V08
kiwijw
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss on Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:00 pm

adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1362
Registration date : 2015-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post  ivanll on Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:32 pm

Look further down on that eBay page and see the .....

TEKNETICS G2 METAL DETECTOR, COMES WITH 4 coils.

Garrett AT Gold is also a capable detector but they are getting pricy.

ivanll
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  winnemucca on Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:55 pm

Mate im in the same shape here, got a great goldfield with heaps of relics to elimiate first. That said i am removing the relics with XP Deus. It has the fastest recovery time for multiple targets under the coil. Very deadly accurate, will get small gold down to .1g at a couple inches easily, bigger nugs much deaper.
Good luck on your adventure, cheers winnemucca
winnemucca
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2015-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post  slimpickens on Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:13 pm

kevlorraine2 wrote:thanks fellas, after a bit of reading i reckon i would like to get a - fisher gold bug pro -   ebay has a add for a brand new gold bug pro for $600.
i get the vibes that is a knock up version as its a factory in china.   anybody know about that ?

gumtree  has no listings of one.

for starters i will put a add in the buy and sell column at this forum  and see if anybody has one they would like to pass on to me. (and if it drives me crazy, i will know who you are Shocked )... kev

Don't do it Kev, it's a piece of murd. There is only one, and that is the Gold Bug 2. How do I know? I've owned 3 of them before moving onto the SDC2300. It's discrimination is second to none. IMHO

Management

Number of posts : 3575
Registration date : 2010-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post  kiwijw on Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:19 pm

Hi Slim, Have you ever owned or used a Gold Bug Pro?

JW
kiwijw
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  bubbazoo on Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:19 pm

GOLD BUG 2 freq 71khz Gold Bug Pro runs 19khz the GB2 will pick up tiny gold which the GBP and Garret AT Gold wont hear! Go the GB2!

Dave

bubbazoo
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 227
Registration date : 2012-10-26

Back to top Go down

Post  kiwijw on Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:15 am

Hi there bubbazoo, You are correct in what you say re the khz's & sensitivity of the dectectors & the gold they will find. And yes the discimination on the bug is good but not fool prove. When the bug gives that definate zip zip sound & then you flick in to discrimination & it is still that zip zip sound then it is not going to be ferrous. May still not be gold but it wont be iron. But when you get a hint of a signal that is either very tiny or at the very edge in depth for the bugs coil can still give an interupted signal in discrimination & not even a zip zip in the first place, & still be gold. You may have seen the last few posts I have done that have involvd my GB2 & the fly shite gold that it finds. The higher the khz then the quicker the detecting depth drops off. So while the bug 2 is awesome at tiny gold it needs to close to the coil. The GMT at 48 khz (I think) is still deadly on small gold, not as tiny as the bug 2 but it will get gold at more depth than the bug 2. All due to the khz. Not sure if you know but the GB2 & the GMT were both engineered by the same person. Dave Johnnson. If you click on the link & scroll down to Steve Herschbach's comments. http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting-gold/133280-goldbug-2-whites-gmt-2.html.
The 19 khz, or there abouts, frequencies used on many vlf gold detectors is no coincindence. It is the the best average for small gold (not as small as the GMT or Bug2) & bigger gold at depth. Which the bug 2 wont get. The Garrett AT Gold is water proof to 10 feet as is the SDC 2300 etc etc. So detector choice comes down to the individual prospector & where they intend to use it, what type of gold & ground they are most likely to be operating in on their chosen gold fields As we know there is no one detector that does it all. I think I have all avenues covered pretty well with the Zed, which isnt too shabby on small gold at a good depth in its own right, & the GB2 to clean up the scraps from the digging piles from the Zed before back filling.
There is a reason I have asked Slim if he has used a Gold Bug Pro, which I wont go in to until he gives an answer. Cheers & good luck out there

JW V08
kiwijw
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  bubbazoo on Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:53 am

Hi JW the usage is intended for shallow ground but yes you are correct about the depth. Have you tried the larger coils on the GB2?

bubbazoo
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 227
Registration date : 2012-10-26

Back to top Go down

Post  kevlorraine2 on Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:47 am

hi everybody, i am more confused than ever now Shocked . so much good information to analise Q07

haveing had minelabs best ubeaut machines as they were issued since the gp extreme in 2001, i am getting used to being happy with my gold finds over the last 16 years. i am in uncharted territory seeking a relatively cheap, vlf, good discriminator to try and overcome the metal rubbish in the quest to enjoy a filthly paddock that is just too convenient to ignore.
the minelab machines have ruined me when it comes to being happy with finding flys..t. anything i find under .1grams is a disappointment to me.
so i have not been attracted to buy a 3030, 2300 which i know would do a good job, but, with the lack of confidence that the discriminator would keep me happy.

so thanks for all the knowledge on low frequency machines, at this stage my paper knowledge tells me, i should be looking at the gmp, gmt, or similar low frequence machine. the wild card seems to be the capacity of those machines to handle our australian soils which cant be known until you get to use it. Q12 if that emoticon is me before i try it what will be the emoticon later Q03 Q08 ... kev

kevlorraine2
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss on Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:05 pm

The Gold Bug, Gold Bug 2, Gold Bug Pro will each find small gold in tough ground in the All metal Ground balance mode.
But in the disc mode on the Pro for example even on minimum disc this detector will give a low tone on iron and will struggle to find gold to 10g on or near the surface in our severe iron mineralisation. You may be lucky and hear a short high tone in amongst the iron tones but it will be  not so easy to isolate it from the rusty iron etc. So with this tecta in disc mode  dig anything that causes a high chirp of any kind. It will not find sub g gold in amongst iron rubbish in Disc Mode.

This applies to near on any VLF Discriminator  when looking for gold. This is why any gold detectorist will tell you never to use discrimination in the gold fields.
Some tectas have a Blanking capability. This works in the All metal mode but if you try to blank out surface targets in the Disc mode you will also blank out some significant gold nuggs.
 Sorry mate but you have gotta dig ut all when searching for gold and to not use discrimination.

Just my opinion. Take ut or leave ut.  Very Happy
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa on Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:03 pm

The GMT has no disc mode...just an iron check which is easily fooled by deep iron targets...easily fooled by the level of mineralization/ironstone....just as many other models are. Still, its a very capable little detector....but there are now better makes and models which are more user adjustable.

I have three prototype Gold Racers and a production model, and 1 Au gold finder....i now have no GMT, and no F19. Very Happy The reason....when imputing to the functionality of the GR...it had to be better than those before it, or the company would only be selling whats already available. That came about with Prototype 3, hence the reason for so many prototypes. If i had my way with it...it would of had 2 frequencies...low and high. Which would of better suited its ability to utilize the concentric coil available for it...not just the std DD. Saying that, the concentric coil will surprise its user.
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1885
Registration date : 2008-10-22

http://australiangoldfields.freeforums.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  slimpickens on Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:04 am

Hi JW, I have just gone by what Kon61 has told me as he used to own one .
Quote Kon. "Good for working in/on benign ground, but not in or over mineralized / highly mineralised soils, which we have here in Vic." That's all the proof I needed JW. He's still using his Gold Bug 2 which he's very happy with.

Management

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss on Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:16 am

kevlorraine2 wrote:thanks fellas, after a bit of reading i reckon i would like to get a - fisher gold bug pro -   ebay has a add for a brand new gold bug pro for $600.
i get the vibes that is a knock up version as its a factory in china.   anybody know about that ?

gumtree  has no listings of one.

for starters i will put a add in the buy and sell column at this forum  and see if anybody has one they would like to pass on to me. (and if it drives me crazy, i will know who you are Shocked )... kev

Some Chinese knock off GB Pro's and DP have "Fisher" at the top of the control panel in a different font  to the genuine item .and others have "Gold Finder".
Also where you normally find GB Pro printed on the centre rh side there is FS2.
I have no idea what the performance of these shonky detectors is like compared to the genuine Fisher Labs unit

I have noticed that a lot of the Gold Bug Pros listed on American Ebay as "From The USA"  also have the dodgy Fisher font and the detectors seem to be cheaper than usual RTL price?

Maybe fisher have changed their font on the display panel??

This is the panel on the GB Pro that I purchased the other day.
It is performing perfectly.

And the coils.

This is the panel of the USA Ebay and Made in china detectors??

And this one.

And this 
http://metal-detector.en.made-in-china.com/product/YoWJexHUJBcg/China-Underground-Gold-Bug-PRO-Metal-Detector-Fs2.html
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:15 pm

Here's a good brief write up on the Fisher Gold Bug Pro/DP by Chris Gholson http://www.arizonaoutback.com/azoroot/shop/custom.aspx/fisher-gold-%20bug-%20pro/165/

Back to top Go down

Post  kiwijw on Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:20 pm

slimpickens wrote: Hi JW, I have just gone by what Kon61 has told me as he used to own one .
Quote Kon. "Good for working in/on benign ground, but not in or over mineralized / highly mineralised soils, which we have here in Vic."  That's all the proof I needed JW. He's still using his Gold Bug 2 which he's very happy with.  

Hi Slim, Thanks for that mate. The way you made the "negative" comment about the gold bug pro gave the impression that you were speaking from your own use of it. But I had a feeling that you didnt have one or hadnt used one so was just interested in what you were basing your "piece of murd" opinon on. I find it strange on the forums how people can slag a detector or coil or any other detecting product & express an opinon when they dont have or have never used it them selfs. Not having a dig at you mate, love peace & happiness, & if that is what Kon has found in highly mineralised ground then that is fair enough. My understanding of all VLF's is that they struggle in highly mineralised ground & why with the release of the SD 2000 PI it was a god send & the rest is history. I also need to remind myself that our ground is very mild....or more to the point, I need to remember that huge areas of your guys ground is very heavily mineralised. So I know across the ditch here in NZ a "lot" of guys do very well with the Gold Bug Pro & for the price.....good on them. I know a couple of chaps who found gold with them in an area of hi EMI due to powerlines where my mono coils couldnt operate. I was running my 11" commander & while I got some gold putting up with the EMI that I was getting despite being in quiet mode (GP 3000 days) they found some good gold directly under the power lines where I couldnt tread. One piece was a 4 grammer & not even deep. I didnt have my GB2 at that stage so of course they cleaned out the area before I got back with a DD in cancel mode. I did try later on. It was an area of old timer throw out piles.

I see that link I put up for Steve Herschbach's comments about Dave Johnnson being involved with the developement of the GB2 & the GMT & MXT (also some Tesoro models) has come up blank scratch  Sorry about that but if you google it, it will come up, if you are interested.

The GMT has that iron "grunt" signal on ferrous items (if it is sizeable enough) & its percentage probability of iron read out. VLF gold machines & PI's for that matter seem to have their discrimination caliberated to be on the causious side & so small ferrous items will still read as a non ferrous items in many cases. Discrimination can be tricky when it comes to non ferrous items when hunting for gold & your only really relying on VDI/conductivity number read outs (if your machines has them of which the gold bug pro does & the Garrett AT gold) & with gold in nature that is not a given due to the inconsistencies of the golds purity. ie all the differing amounts of other metal impurities that occur in natural gold out in the goldfields.

Bubbazoo, No I dont have the larger coils for my GB2 & with the Zed I dont need them as the Zed is still deadly on small gold at good depth. The GB2 with that small sniper coil will get any smaller gold amongst the Zeds digging piles that the Zed doesnt.

Kev, It is a hard ask for an accurate disciminating detector for gold. You will still be digging a lot of junk if you dont want to risk missing gold. Guess that is why it pays to dig all signals. I know that in heavy trash areas that is not possible so hopefully there are bigger bits of gold amongst the trash for you. You could make a drag up with pvc piping & rear earth magnets & drag that over an area before detecting to pick up some of the iron trash. Just a thought. But then there is still going to be nonferrous trash as well. Rolling Eyes

Good luck out there

JW  V08
kiwijw
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  slimpickens on Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:51 pm

Yes, JW, the highly mineralized soils in Victoria is everything to do with these VLF machines failing here.

Management

Back to top Go down

Post  kevlorraine2 on Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:52 pm

adrian ss,  thanks adrian, wow. so many possible dodgy detectors. suppose its always the same when buying other than new from a recognised outlet - buyer beware. ... back to the drawing board. Rolling Eyes

kiwijw thanks to you plus slim, kon, adrian, jack, and others, i now see that my pursuit of gold in amongst rubbish is the reason why it is still there. V01

the reason i have bypassed considering the 3030 2300 and all the higher priced mid range detectors, (mainly because i am too tight V18 ) also, i dont like digging a target to end up with a sub .1grammer.  so this education of the higher hertz  vlf machines that  specalise in cleaning up areas, like the gold bug 2, dont turn me on V02 .

as i said before i have been spoilt by the ubeaut minelab pi machines.  i have been over this area with my 7000 and found five sub .1grammers, plus other nuggets larger, and with the 5000 with 11 inch dd coil, and found some of the 23 .2grams and above to a gramm, plus some of the 13 larger up to 9grams.  a total of 41 for 35grams Q02 .   very hard to ignore the area, even with all the rubbish, that makes most of it unworkable, with such good returns for only a few days outing.

confusion run supreme but we will get there ... kev  Q07

kevlorraine2
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  kiwijw on Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:06 am

Hi Kev, So the 37 pieces I got for just over 2 grams with the GB2 doesnt do it for you?? lol! Gold is gold & it all adds up & some gold is better than no gold....even at sub .1 grams. So I try to convince myself. I do know where you are coming from though. I would rather explore new areas & try to find a patch than chicken peck for fly shite. As you said...that is why the gold is still there amongst all that rubbish. But for the diligant, patient operator in those conditions....you may do well. Digging junk is going to be a given & part & parcel of it. Try the drag magnet to get rid of surface iron. May be just try a small area first & then detect. Depending on how that goes you may be incouraged to carry on or quit. Like every body else before you seems to have done. So where they quit could be your bonus. Good luck

JW V08
kiwijw
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  ivanll on Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:49 am

A good operator with a good VLF detector can be very selective with what size gold is found.  

ivanll
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss on Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:01 pm

kevlorraine2 wrote:adrian ss,  thanks adrian, wow. so many possible dodgy detectors. suppose its always the same when buying other than new from a recognised outlet - buyer beware. ... back to the drawing board. Rolling Eyes

kiwijw thanks to you plus slim, kon, adrian, jack, and others, i now see that my pursuit of gold in amongst rubbish is the reason why it is still there. V01

the reason i have bypassed considering the 3030 2300 and all the higher priced mid range detectors, (mainly because i am too tight V18 ) also, i dont like digging a target to end up with a sub .1grammer.  so this education of the higher hertz  vlf machines that  specalise in cleaning up areas, like the gold bug 2, dont turn me on V02 .

as i said before i have been spoilt by the ubeaut minelab pi machines.  i have been over this area with my 7000 and found five sub .1grammers, plus other nuggets larger, and with the 5000 with 11 inch dd coil, and found some of the 23 .2grams and above to a gramm, plus some of the 13 larger up to 9grams.  a total of 41 for 35grams Q02 .   very hard to ignore the area, even with all the rubbish, that makes most of it unworkable, with such good returns for only a few days outing.

confusion run supreme but we will get there ... kev  Q07

As I said. Dig it all. You will end up tired, pissed off and cursing the world of metal detectors but if there is gold where you are you will find it.
On the other hand, if you use a VLF discriminator like the Bugs n GMTs and AT Golds set to disc out or give iron tones small nails and bits of rusty tin lids etc then I guess if you ever get a good signal then you better dig it up coz it won't be a sub gram bit.  Very Happy
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  kevlorraine2 on Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:15 pm

gday all,  i have now purchased a gold bug pro, second hand, hope it is a true fisher machine Shocked .  looks identical to the one in your pictures adrian ss.  unlike yours  it will have a raw apprentice on the other end who will have to learn how to use it, before he can report on how good it works

your help kiwijw was paramount in educating me about the differences in makes and models, thanks a lot.
i hope the gb pro gives me a happy medium  of better depth at the expense of super sensitivity to sub .1grammers. Very Happy

i am looking forward to the experience of a lighter machine with adjustable discrimination to tackle this difficult area.  and it only cost me a couple of hundred dollars V18  keeps my scottish blood happy ... kev V20

kevlorraine2
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  kiwijw on Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:48 am

Hi Kev, You are welcome, & thanks for the kind words. It is really Steve Herschbach's info that I passed on to you & he you should be thanking. I have been down the exact same road as you. It seems like there are just so many choices that it does your head in trying to settle on the choice of machine. For the sub .1 gram bits the Gold Bug 2 at 71 khz is the machine, but not at much depth, followed closely by the Whites GMT at 48 khz (I think) & will get gold a bit deeper than the bug 2. The Gold Bug Pro at 19 khz is a happy medium for smallish gold, not as small as the bug 2 or GMT, & bigger gold at more depth. I dont have the Gold Bug Pro but I like the idea of the VDI number read outs on it. I do have the GB2 & the GMT. I actually have 3 GMT's  Rolling Eyes the analogue version of the last GMT as it was belt & chest mountable & 2 of the last GMT's. Why 2...the price was right for the 2nd one  Rolling Eyes  & I couldnt let a bargin go by. The down side of the bug 2 & GMT is all the bloody shot gun pellets I get V41
 It all comes down to the khz of the detector & of course.....the operator. The thing I couldnt help you with was your mineralized ground. Others touched on that so I wish you luck with the Gold Bug Pro.
Cheers & good luck out there.

JW  V08
kiwijw
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top