WA geomaps Overlay on google earth

View previous topic View next topic Go down

WA geomaps Overlay on google earth

Post  joensue on Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:43 am

Hi all.    Been trying to overlay WA geomaps onto google earth. its non working out.   I already have google earth ,I was wondering do I have to download google earth through the DMP WA site to make it work ? I have asked this question on another forum  and advised to google it  I cant seem to find the procedure. If anyone can help or steer me in the right direction it would be appreciated .Half  the problem is I am not completely computer savy cheers JOE confused confused

joensue
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2012-05-31

Back to top Go down

Re: WA geomaps Overlay on google earth

Post  Guest on Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:48 pm

I use GeoVIEW.WA to view geology imagery. When i find something in the geology images i want to look at on google earth i click the maps and data sources tab. A tab to google earth opens which allows you to view the current location you are viewing on google earth. It wont overlay but you can see the corresponding location. I hope this helps.
Cheers
Pb

Back to top Go down

WA Geomaps overlay onto google earth

Post  joensue on Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:34 pm

Hi   Pb  Thanks for the info,Il give it a go. I know  my way around geomaps pretty well.I suppose this will be another learning curve. MANY THANKS Joe Very Happy Very Happy

joensue
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:11 pm

No worries, below is a youtube link to a tutorial about geoVIEW. It is a very handy tool

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VxvPIGclhcc

Back to top Go down

Post  goldtalkleonora on Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:40 pm

Hi Joensue. No, you need to download the info off the DMP site...save it to your desktop....then open google earth and search for the new file and load it.
My advice for what it's worth is to learn GEOVIEW....I use both GE and downloaded info AND GEOVIEW as research tools.....I find geoview will be 90% of my actual research and GE and downloaded maps I use to construct maps that I use on the ground to get me around. I don't use geomap as I don't want laptops in my car AND I want all that info on a handheld GPS that I can then walk around with. Not trying to plug here but just saying......we run a day course on GPS that will teach you about constructing maps using GE and the info off DMP and we also run an advanced research methods day course that teaches you HOW to use geoview to find prospecting spots. Hope that's of some help
goldtalkleonora
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2015-06-01

http://www.goldtalkleonora.com.au

Back to top Go down

WA geo maps overlay google earth

Post  joensue on Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:46 am

HI   Thanks Goldtalk. IL Take all that on board.  I am curious to know what is the difference between these two DMP sites ? They seem to be the same but in different formats .OR AM I WRONG???  Regards JOE confused confused

joensue
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  goldtalkleonora on Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:45 am

G'day Joe, Not sure what you mean? There is only one DMP site: www.dmp.wa.gov.au
and you access geoview through it as well as download maps etc from it....is this what you mean?
goldtalkleonora
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Back to top Go down

WA geomaps overlay on google earth

Post  joensue on Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:14 pm

Hi goldtalk.  I   downloaded WA geo maps from the WA dmp site  in 2013 witch has Topo maps Geo maps Mindex  Tenaments Live and pending witch I update every month. this is what I have been using since then . It  appears that geoview is from the same site but in a different form???  I think ?? all I can assume is that geoview is an updated version   Cheers JOE  Very Happy

joensue
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  goldtalkleonora on Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:54 pm

ok...I'm with you now. Geomap and geoview are two totally different free programs managed by the DMP. Geoview is the better of the two when it comes to researching ares in WA. Geomap is "ok'" (I'm bias as it does not float my boat) when it comes to research but good when it comes to 'moving map' in the field...ie, you basically have tengraph on your laptop with all the tenement info and a 'thingy' on the screen that tells you your real position in relation to the tenements.... You will find that geomap and geoview 'look' very similar and if you can handle one then you will pick up the other with ease. Hope that helps
goldtalkleonora
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Back to top Go down

WA geomaps overlay onto google earth

Post  joensue on Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:11 pm

Hi again Goldtalk   Thanks for that most helpful.AND APPRECIATED You neverknow I might catch up with you when  we come over mid year    .Cheers joe Very Happy Very Happy

joensue
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top