EXTRACTING SPECIMEN IN QUARTZ

View previous topic View next topic Go down

EXTRACTING SPECIMEN IN QUARTZ

Post  goldrat on Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:21 pm

Hi Forum members ,
I have searched and cannot find an answer to my query .
I wish to gently crush some quartz with a reasonable signal inside .
Not going to use acid and not going to belt hell out of it .
I'm sure I've read about heating quartz then dropping in water to weaken quartz .
Could someone please run me through the process .

Cheers
goldrat
goldrat
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2014-02-15

Back to top Go down

Re: EXTRACTING SPECIMEN IN QUARTZ

Post  davsgold on Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:43 pm

G'day goldrat

Heating Quartz or Ironstone with a flame like an oxytorch will cause small bits to fly off (spald) splatter.

The oldtimers used to heat the quartz in a fire (woodfire) and then throw water on it, they used to build a fire against quartz reefs and throw water on it, it can explode, so throwing water on anything like rocks/quartz that have been heated red hot can cause them to explode, so do this with extreme care and have safety gear on if you try this.

All we have done in the past is boil the quartz specie in water, and then dunk it in cold water, repeat the process as often as you like, this way the quartz is not hot enough to explode when it hits the cold water, the gold and the quarts expand and contract at different rates with this more mild method of heating and cooling and does loosen and fracture the quartz to some degree.

cheers dave
davsgold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 5416
Registration date : 2008-10-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Wombat on Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:49 pm

Hi mate, Quartz is a type is silicon and water based rock I believe. So just by heating it up it may crack by it self. Be careful it may explode though. The old timers use to do that by heating up the rock to get it to crack into smaller sizes before crushing it.

PS I just read Dave's reply and I like that idea. I haven't tried that me self. Try dunking it into ICE cold water, it may work quicker.
wombat Wink
Wombat
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 4244
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post  goldtalkleonora on Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:01 pm

Hi Goldrat.....just get a hammer and smack it. Am I missing something???
goldtalkleonora
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 166
Registration date : 2015-06-01

http://www.goldtalkleonora.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post  au-fever on Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:43 pm

goldrat wrote:Hi Forum members ,
                           I have searched and cannot find an answer to my query .
I wish to gently crush some quartz with a reasonable signal inside .
Not going to use acid and not going to belt hell out of it .
I'm sure I've read about heating quartz then dropping in water to weaken quartz .
Could someone please run me through the process .

Cheers
goldrat

All good answers so far, depending on the size of the specimen, if its small enough there are two other ways to get inside, wrap the specimen in some rag put it on a hard surface and gently crack it with a hammer, or just put it in a dolly pot and give it some gentle smacks until it cracks open, the only other way you will save the gold inside if it is gold is to put it in acid, one of two things will happen either you will have a solid piece of gold or you will end up with particles of gold.

There's no magic formula just a case of deciding which approach to take, take care if you decide to crack the quartz without covering it first as pieces flying off it can be razor sharp and even coming out of a dolly pot sometimes.

au-fever

au-fever
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 123
Registration date : 2016-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Wombat on Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:11 pm

Hi ua-ferer I've just thought of another way when I read your post. Still using the idea of wrapping the specimen in rag. Instead of lightly hitting it with a hammer, put it in a steel jaw vice and gentle close it up until you hear the specimen crack. This way it would be more controlled.
wombat Wink
Wombat
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 4244
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post  au-fever on Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:03 am

Wombat wrote:Hi ua-ferer  I've just thought of another way when I read your post. Still using the idea of wrapping the specimen in rag. Instead of lightly hitting it with a hammer, put it in a steel jaw vice and gentle close it up until you hear the specimen crack. This way it would be more controlled.
wombat Wink

Hi Wombat, I was going to suggest that as well and have done the very same thing myself before, but as I don't know how big the specimen is and if it would even fit in a vice?, but as you say its a more controlled way to crack it open if small enough.

I made a small specimen crusher with some 50mm round tube welded to a thick round base steel base, looks like a tiny dolly pot, the crusher fits inside the tube and is made from a solid piece of round bar, a piece of old dozer bucket pin or something, with a t handle welded to the top, you just drop the specie inside slide the crusher into the tube and give it a pound, as its a close fit no pieces come out and it will turn the specie into very fine powder if pounded enough making panning it off easy, its compact enough to carry into the bush for sampling.

Most of the bit and pieces to make one can be found in a boilermaking shop scrap metal pile that does dozer buckets and such.

au-fever

au-fever
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 123
Registration date : 2016-10-22

Back to top Go down

A THANKYOU RE QUARTZ QUERY + a follow up question .

Post  goldrat on Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:38 pm

Thanks for all your suggestions ,will try several ways in the future . For this one I did the boiling water , couldn't notice any difference when out of the cold water . Gave it a gentle tap and it was so brittle it fell apart , quite surprised for the force I used .
It turned out to be a fuggett , no gold . This leads me to a follow up question .
I was using an SDC and the signal was very distinct and I was confident it was gold .
When crushed it was 100% quartz . Why did I get a signal on quartz only .

To goldtalkleonora , the reason I was cautious , last week I did a regular quartz dolly and got the shock of my life recovered a
0.35 gram crystalline specimen with no damage to it . I suppose I was paranoid that I might have another .

Once again thanks to all who took the time to help me .

Cheers

goldrat
goldrat
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2014-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post  geof_junk on Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:10 pm

Try heating it in your wife oven(about 250 °C), then drop it in a bucket of cold water, then dolly it.
geof_junk
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 657
Registration date : 2008-11-11

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top