SLUICING IN WA

View previous topic View next topic Go down

SLUICING IN WA

Post  joensue on Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:59 pm

Hi all.      Can anybody advise me  if you are allowed to use a sluice in WA on just a miners right?? I can't find anywhere where it says you can't. But I can't find anywhere where it says you can ??? confused confused confused  Maybe I'm not looking in the right place .Any help would be appreciated  Cheers JOE

joensue
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2012-05-31

Back to top Go down

Re: SLUICING IN WA

Post  goldtalkleonora on Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:11 pm

Hi Joe,

Can't see a problem with it mate....hand held tools only. A river sluice is handheld as is the shovel that feeds it. Highbankers are out as it has a motor/pump. Question is.....where do you expect to use it???? There are a couple of small gold shows in the SW of WA where you may have a chance but if you have enough water to sluice up here then you usually have bigger issues to deal with!!!
goldtalkleonora
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 121
Registration date : 2015-06-01

http://www.goldtalkleonora.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post  boobook on Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:37 pm

The WA legalities are well delineated by Goldtalk, but if you are able to get your hands on the Ion Idriess book Prospecting for Gold you will find a lot of information on arid region sluicing.
I believe his methodology holds true for any area you wish to work (gold being there of course).

In the 1800's the Chinese diggers in NSW built sluices directly into the creek gutters then simply scooping up the accumulated wash and panned the gold. There is still plenty of evidence of this around Hill End, Sofala, Trunkey Crk. and Tuena.

In the 1970's I did a lot of sluicing in the Trunkey Crk. region, much of it based on the Idriess formula with our difference using long sections of coir matting to retain very fine (but still chunky) gold.

Good luck with your endeavours, don't forget, however fine, gold is gold
Mike

boobook
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 203
Registration date : 2011-09-12

Back to top Go down

SLUICING IN WA

Post  joensue on Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:29 pm

Hi Goldtalk AND MIKE.Thanks for the info much appreaciated.   In regards to your question where I intend using it.We are mainly detectorists and visit WA every year. last year we came across a patch close to a gully , I tried a bit of panning and got some colour. We thought it could be quite rich ,hence the sluice.The area is far nortern WA.All the creeks were still holding water ,it was a .very wet year for us . we haven't done it before .so we thought we would  give it ago. Fingers crossed Idea Idea Cheers JOE Very Happy Very Happy

joensue
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  goldtalkleonora on Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:03 am

Hi Joe, oh ok..before I would worry about sluicing etc, I would do more work on the ground with your dish. Loam it properly (or learn how to first) and work out 1/ source and 2/ 'resource definition'..that is.....how much dirt at what sort of grade. The very first question I would have is....can you get control of the ground? If your working some other persons lease then your wasting your time...move on. As a rule of thumb...work out what you have before you start disturbing the ground. Good luck
goldtalkleonora
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

SLUICING IN WA

Post  joensue on Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:15 pm

Hi goldtalk    Thanks for your opinion. The area is at  present still  free ground. I appreciate your concerns as we have been caught in a situation previously. (the big boys moved in and pushed us out )  Dissapointing but we have moved on .Thanks again JOE Very Happy Very Happy

joensue
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  goldtalkleonora on Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:57 pm

Maybe take a small punt, peg it, then work it???....that's real prospecting.
goldtalkleonora
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

sluicing in WA

Post  joensue on Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:28 pm

Thanks GOLDTALK. Thanks for the advise much appreciated. cheers JOE Very Happy Very Happy

joensue
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top