Eldorado caravan park closing

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Eldorado caravan park closing

Post  someday on Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:39 pm

So Just found out through a good friend that the Eldy caravan park is going to close as of the 30th of June!
Council wants the owner to rebuild the dunny block at a cost to the owner of some 75k which given only 3 permanents
the owner can't afford that, he's tried to sell but with no luck?????
The owner owns it outright so I can imagine the price tag for the land wouldn't be cheap, I'm just gobsmacked
that as of the 30th of June the 3 permanents have to be out and Eldorado caravan park will be no more..
someday
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1583
Registration date : 2012-11-06

Back to top Go down

Re: Eldorado caravan park closing

Post  Guest on Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:38 pm

Thats sad news.. the town will lose out as well.. or towns.. i havent been there myself.
Its was on my bucket list

Not good at all. Crying or Very sad

Back to top Go down

Post  Wombat on Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:45 pm

someday wrote:So Just found out through a good friend that the Eldy caravan park is going to close as of the 30th of June!
Council wants the owner to rebuild the dunny block at a cost to the owner of some 75k which given only 3 permanents
the owner can't afford that, he's tried to sell but with no luck?????
The owner owns it outright so I can imagine the price tag for the land wouldn't be cheap, I'm just gobsmacked
that as of the 30th of June the 3 permanents have to be out and Eldorado caravan park will be no more..
Someday the council has nothing to do with the closure of the Park. Doug and his wife are closing the park down because it is not viable any more to keep it open. Doug asked the council for their help in seeing any way of making improvement that would help the park to survive. They said he could make improvement to the toilets and possibly put in a swimming pool. That would cost about $70,000, Money they do not have. And if they did this there is no proof that it would make the park more viable anyway. They bought the park when it was then loosing money and they were hoping of building it back up to the extent that it would start paying for it self again. I have known Doug and Joy for many years now, and I spoke to Doug only a few weeks ago in regards to this.
wombat Wink
Wombat
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 4234
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss on Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:08 pm

Sorry to hear that.
I spent quite a bit of time fossicking in and around Eldorado and Mum and Dad stayed at the park for a while after Dad retired.

As a teenager I Used to ride my treadly from Wangaratta to Eldorado just to do a bit of panning and look for agates and qtz crystals.
    There are so many restrictions in place there now that it is almost impossible to breath there without breaking a stupid paranoid green law.
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1315
Registration date : 2015-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post  boobook on Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:25 am

The last time I was in Eldorado would have been around 1984.
We stayed at the caravan park for a couple of nights and at the time it was quite run down but the permanent residents would have been keeping it afloat.
We spent several hours on the dredge finding around 20-30 decent pieces of smoky quartz which had been well tumbled in the trommels.
The office had been left open and I picked up some paperwork relating to weekly dredge returns for 1941 which I have kept.
Typical (w/e 9/8/41), "dredge ran 129 hours treating 56600 cu.yds. yield: gold 92oz. smelted, tin concentrate 2 tons. value est. 1304 (pounds)".
The site had been pretty well picked over by fossickes but we did sieve a considerable number of clear and smoky quartz crystals from the banks adjacent to where old machinery parts had been dumped. Could not understand why someone had not taken the main supply cables to the dredge, would have been a lot of copper value.
The Reids creek gold we panned was extremely fine, but when considered in terms of the dredge recovery rates equates to ~30 cu.yds./dwt!
Not quite payable but plenty of fun. Smile
Sad to read about the demise of a place like that, will never understand why local govt. is so prepared to ignore tourism potential and allow the total desecration of a unique attraction. Sad
Mike

boobook
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 226
Registration date : 2011-09-12

Back to top Go down

Post  goldtalkleonora on Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:01 am

At last...something about Eastern States Prospecting I can relate too!! We visited the Elderado dredge over christmas just gone. Lisa had to drag me away as I was starting to froth at the mouth...saying things like..'she aint so bad'.....'just need to fix some leaks....a few drums of CRC...she'll be right'.
I wanted to get a loaming dish and run some grades on the dirt at the end of the bucket line.....I'll put a charity's ticket on it being payable. Needless to say...she won.
goldtalkleonora
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2015-06-01

http://www.goldtalkleonora.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post  boobook on Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:09 pm

Up until 1934 the dredge was supplied with electricity from its own powerhouse on Clear creek, the remains of which (1984) could still be seen.
I believe mains voltage to the dredge was in the vicinity of 6500 volts.
Yes GT, I can understand your enthusiasm, but 600cu.yds./oz = ~0.02gm./tonne. Not quite paying the bills, eh!
Mike

boobook
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 226
Registration date : 2011-09-12

Back to top Go down

Post  goldtalkleonora on Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:21 pm

depends.....how much does it cost to recover the oz!
goldtalkleonora
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2015-06-01

http://www.goldtalkleonora.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post  mungass on Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:42 pm

Stayed there years ago , got there Xmas eve and no one in park apart from 2 permanents, stopped in Yarrawonga on the way and bought a slab of wild turkey  some seafood prawns an stuff ,Mrs cooked roast turkey in turbo oven , at park ,bottle of white , drizzling rain an old mate in park came over for a turkey ,,,said he was tired an left us with a new release DVD he just hired in Wang ,so got to see RED DOG ,''''.  Perfect Xmas.  Doug used to be our Chaplin at work back in the day cheers sunny
mungass
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 203
Registration date : 2008-10-23

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top