"GOLD" the movie

View previous topic View next topic Go down

"GOLD" the movie

Post  Guest on Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:58 pm

Watched the movie "GOLD" last night. The reviews on Rotten Tomatoes wasn't great but I like gold so I thought id give it a go. https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/gold_2017/

Didn't think it was that great personally, but nearly wet myself with excitement when they showed a piece of gold in the movie. A whopping 2gm bit I reckon. The story was ok but it would have been nice to see a bit more prospecting in the movie than just office scenes.

Back to top Go down

Re: "GOLD" the movie

Post  Sharkbait on Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:58 pm

Hey Jin,went and saw that last week with my brother..can't believe that they didn't even extract any gold from the site Razz

It was all based on a fraud with the salted core samples sending the share prices thru the roof Laughing

Actual true story..check it out on Wikipedia lol!

Matthew McConnaghy actually put on over 15kg in weight for the movie Razz
Sharkbait
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 718
Registration date : 2013-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post  nero_design on Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:43 am

I saw it too.  Had to go to the cinema by myself because my wife wasn't interested and I didn't want to put out my friends in case they didn't like it.  I'm also a big fan of Dallas-Bryce-Howard who plays Matthew's wife in the film.  She's the daughter of actor-director Ron Howard (remember red-headed Richie from Happy Days?).  She looked STUNNING in the movie GOLD.

[SPOILERS]
When the film finished, I was disappointed.  I mean, there's literally no gold featured in almost the entire film.  It concentrated on the back story... although when I went home and thought about it, it dawned on me that this is what gold does to people: It draws out scammers and opportunists from the woodwork.  If you think about this movie and the true story behind it... it's a warning of what can lurk.  I thought it was fascinating in that respect.  But think about all the ignorant people in this story who had no understanding of gold and no idea of how to find or extract it.  I suppose the yarn itself was what was interesting... how partnerships were formed and the lengths they went to in order to protect their interests.  No doubt Australia's goldrush had plenty of similar tales (several come to mind as I write this - about how new chums were duped upon their arrival into paying for holes in the ground full of red dirt and nothing else).  I feel the movie GOLD was sold to the audiences as a story about a man who goes looking to prospect for gold and who makes a huge strike and gets rich.  But when I came out of the theater, I felt that it was a story of people who had no idea what they were doing or who they were partnering with - as they descended into chaos trying to make money from nothing.
nero_design
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1888
Registration date : 2008-11-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Chatter on Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:55 pm

"Literally no gold featured in almost the entire film" Ahem, bit like some of your so called "full of gold" species a few years back mate. Photos of barren quartz.

Chatter
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2016-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top