GPZ 7000 2 years ago until now. How quickly time flies by.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

GPZ 7000 2 years ago until now. How quickly time flies by.

Post  G.B. on Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:41 pm

On 20/02/2017 it will be 2 years since l took possession of the Mighty Beast the GPZ 7000. Aside from the initial teething problems which have since been sorted out and the weight issue which highlighted the need of a good load bearing set up, I must say that I am extremely impressed by this detector and am still frequently blown away by its capabilities. I must admit there were just a couple of times in the early stages when I was tempted to grab the old faithful 4500 out to give it a run but now I must admit due to the prowess of the GPZ 7000  the 4500 has been gathering dust and is only taken out on odd occasions.

What I am wondering is that 2 years down the track what do you owners think of the Zed 7000 and also what do those that have detected alongside a GPZ 7000 and have seen what it can do think of it.

Here is a link for old times sake going back to the Release of the 7000.

https://www.minelab.com/go-minelabbing/treasure-talk/introducing-the-gpz-7000

Please keep comments civil.
G.B.
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1238
Registration date : 2012-01-31

Back to top Go down

Re: GPZ 7000 2 years ago until now. How quickly time flies by.

Post  flyrock on Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:18 pm

Hi GB
I detect with a 45/18" elite & wife 5k/14" elite.
We have both been detecting alongside a 7k for 6 months last year.
I doubled the 7k weight, whilst my wife found about the same as 7k. (maybe I just walked over it?)
Personally, no doubt the 7k is a better detector (more sensitive/better response especially on speccie & small stuff) - perhaps 20 to 25% better. We did many, many tests on undug targets - the deep stuff let the 7k down (in my opinion)
Remember I was swinging the 18", while the 7k had the 14"
Unfortunately its not 40% better, as is the price difference.
My 2c worth.
Cheers

Last edited by flyrock on Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

flyrock
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2008-10-30

Back to top Go down

Post  G.B. on Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:59 pm

Hi Flyrock that's what l am after good straight forward honest opinions with no b/s attached.
G.B.
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  slimpickens on Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:20 pm

I have no doubt GB, that the Zed is far superior to anything else on the market. Mine has paid itself off and also paid the SDC off, and plenty left over. You know when your detecting, that anything the coil floats over is dead meat.  
The number of trips that I have come home gold-less (and I really hate getting skunked), have shrunk to a very negligible number, compared to my 4500.   The Zed was expensive, but I am in a position to use it almost daily if I want.....others who can't use it as often as that might struggle to pay it off.
But paying it off isn't really the only thing we think about, think of the guy with his $20,000 boat catching flatties off Dromana, he couldn't give a stuff about the cost of the boat, as long as he's happy doing what he's doing. I am happy in doing what I'm doing... with Monique my faithful Zed. V03 (I have to stop here, I'm getting a bit emotional)

Management

Number of posts : 3575
Registration date : 2010-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post  kiwijw on Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:20 pm

lol!  Nice one slim. T06
In the big picture of things.....I havnt had the zed all that long. I am still going over old ground that I was no longer getting any gold with the 4500 no matter what coil I had on it & you have probably seen the type of gold I am getting off that ground with the Zed. The thing I am noticing is that I am not getting any bigger bits of gold...even at depth. So I am thinking that my GP 3000 & 4500 did a good job of the bigger deeper stuff. Just like what flyrock has said. It may not be long before I hit untried ground. That will be interesting with the Zed. Cheers

JW
kiwijw
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1817
Registration date : 2010-09-02

Back to top Go down

Post  slimpickens on Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:18 pm

kiwijw wrote:lol!  Nice one slim. T06
In the big picture of things.....I havnt had the zed all that long. I am still going over old ground that I was no longer getting any gold with the 4500 no matter what coil I had on it & you have probably seen the type of gold I am getting off that ground with the Zed. The thing I am noticing is that I am not getting any bigger bits of gold...even at depth. So I am thinking that my GP 3000 & 4500 did a good job of the bigger deeper stuff. Just like what flyrock has said. It may not be long before I hit untried ground. That will be interesting with the Zed. Cheers

JW

I think JW that the 3000, 3500, 4000, 4500 and 5000 did get a lot of the 3 grammers and up, BUT, not to the depth the Zed can get them. Some of mine that I can recollect, and have posted, were a 1.8 gr at 12", 3 gr. at 8", 6.5 gr. at 19"... that' a measured 19" with the nugget stuck in the floor of the hole, and many others. This morning a warbly signal at six inches was a .193 gr nugget.

Management

Number of posts : 3575
Registration date : 2010-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post  G.B. on Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:29 pm

Yep slim. 7.8 or close to it 18.5 inches super hot ground. Pinpointed and video.

Kiwi sharpen your pick you will get plenty over 10 nches and many over 12 inches. Its not the depth that will surprise you but the response compared to size.
G.B.
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  kiwijw on Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:51 pm

Thanks Slim & GB. My new pick from Davsgold is plenty sharp. But I will give it a good flogging tomorrow. V11 Hopefully for bigger....deeper gold. Cheers.

Good luck out there

JW V08
kiwijw
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1817
Registration date : 2010-09-02

Back to top Go down

Post  norvic on Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:12 am

Like yours GB my Z has hit 2, it replaced a 5000 and now with the 19" coil has the depth. For me it`s ground handling and it`s auto GB and puts it well on top of the 5000. One big difference and this is related to the auto gb I find I am digging much less false signals thus it does more ground. With the 5000 I always hunted in manual GB as I found the auto GB often took out deep or quiet signals. Once the Z locates a signal with a few additional sweeps if the signal is repeatable on each sweep chances are it is a good target. Its auto GB rarely cancels out a good signal, thus I have found it a magic detector. Of course this is for the country I detect which varies from mainly medium mineralisation to some hot ground with very little wet salts.

norvic
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2015-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post  goldwright on Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:41 pm

Yeah I think it comes down to, not what it can do it's how it does it. I kept the 5000 for a year after the Z came out and after using the Z more and more I was just convinced the Z rules. The 5000 still got most of the targets the Z got but with the amount of clutter and chatter while running the 5000 hot some targets were missed and ground noise that came with these settings. I think it comes down to the bread and butter gold from sub grammers to the 2 gram mark at depth the Z rules it over any other machine and anyone that does not agree with that has not used the Z enough. Some of the holes you can dig for such small targets can be really dispointing but it also means you are doing it right. A 14 inch coil that can get a sub 0.1 gram nugget in noisy ground well I cant imagine what the smaller coil will see if we ever get one.

goldwright
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2016-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post  G.B. on Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:02 am

Yep the Zed certainly gets the job done there are very few goldless days compared to the amount of golden days.
G.B.
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top