ZED 19 in coil settings

View previous topic View next topic Go down

ZED 19 in coil settings

Post  joensue on Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:33 pm

HI  ALL    Just one Quick Question ,,, If I change over to a  19in coil , Is there a radical difference in the settings required ,or are they  similar.  (THIS IS FOR A START UP POINT )?????  don't want to start  off on the wrong foot  ,   Done that before  CHEERS  JOE confused confused affraid

joensue
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2012-05-31

Back to top Go down

Re: ZED 19 in coil settings

Post  alchemist on Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:45 pm

Joe, for me I've found that I need to get my machine running really quiet with the steadiest threshold possible because the deepest signals can sound a lot like ground noise moans and any warbly threshold will feed the moans and mask those really deep difficult targets we seek.

I've found with the 19" as with the 14" you can lower the sensitivity quite a lot without losing much depth, the goal is to run in Normal if at all possible.

JP says conservative settings are best with the 19 and I believe he means roughly what I've alluded too, getting the machine as smooth as possible, with careful wide sweeps of the coil maintaining coil to ground distance as much as possible and listening for wide quiet responses that persist longer than general machine/ground feedback.

This all holds true for the 14" as well.

I've found some very deep targets while using a low gain, (below 10) you need to concentrate very carefully on what the machine is indicating.

Bury a few targets and 'fiddle' with the settings while placing them deeper and deeper until you're on the verge, and try to memorize the response. According to JP it is a "learned response" (really deep ones on the 19" that is) and burying targets is the quickest way to get a feel for it.

The worst thing you can do with the 19" is crank it all up, my advice Joe, is start cranked down.

Maybe Kev if he's about will have more insight to share, as I think he's privy to more of JP's tips hailing from up North.

Good luck with the starship. Hover slow and smooth near previous hotspots (I find areas where the GPX gave deep solid pieces previously, but now just give broken moving noisy signals that can't be centred have yielded well)

Sorry if this is a bit of a waffle, just got back from a long trip and a bit buzzed iut on coffee, red bull, and wine!

Cheers
Kev.

alchemist
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 485
Registration date : 2009-01-06

Back to top Go down

ZED 19in coil settings

Post  joensue on Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:17 pm

Thanks KEV for your indepth reply, Very much appreciated. First opportunity i'll give it a go  Many thanks  JOE Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

joensue
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  alchemist on Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:18 am

Joe have you seen this video by Nenad?
I think it's this one that shows how using Difficult will at times allow better signal definition than Normal if the terrain dictates. Notice too he's using a gain of 8. I try to use between 8 and 10 and if the ground and spherics are real quiet up to 12.

I think it best to select the most likely areas and then carefully go over it with as many different combinations as possible, certain targets prefer certain modes more than others, and I’ve even had small specks preferring Extra.

Cheers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0M_Q66062Ck
alchemist
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

ZED 19in coil settings

Post  joensue on Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:33 am

Hi KEV Thanks again i'll have a look at that CHEERS JOE Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

joensue
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  alchemist on Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:53 am

Joe I just remembered who it was that first recomended using very stable settings, Cory Dale.
Maybe you should consider what he says also.
I would also go down to a gain of 4 if it was the only way of getting the machine running smooth whilst keeping the Audio Smoothing set to OFF

Cheers
Kev.

http://www.minersden.com.au/blog/some-musings-on-the-minelab-gpz-19/
alchemist
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

ZED 19in coil settings

Post  joensue on Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:29 pm

Hi KEV Thanks again CHEERS JOE Very Happy Very Happy