GOLD, what made ya start????

View previous topic View next topic Go down

GOLD, what made ya start????

Post  joe82 on Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:10 am

hi all, lets go back to the start I'm wondering when did ya first get the itch to chase the yellow and when did ya discover that this forum could help??? I got the bug about 7 years ago and had the chance to use an SD2000 and find my first bit of 1.84gms witch to this day still lives around my wifes neck! from then moved onto the GPX4000 and discovered this site, in doing that met 2 of the best lads gold had to offer and has now turned to best mates T13 whould have never met them without this site T15 roadtrips V09 cold beer and V11 plenty of gold and now upgrading to the 5000 in the last 2-3 years the gold will flow like wine with a couple of top lads V49 cheers joe,

joe82
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 633
Registration date : 2013-07-02

Back to top Go down

Re: GOLD, what made ya start????

Post  NeoGeo on Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:58 am

G'day joe,

A bit over two years ago. I was watching YouTube and saw a video of a guy recycling motherboards and other computer components to collect the gold from.
My next stop was zaqqaz22 on YouTube. I was watching him pulling multi oz nuggets and coming up with some awesome totals for his trips.
Needless to say, I was instantly hooked.
Although I had no idea of how to go about it and I was pretty sure I wouldn't be as successful as him straight off the bat. Yeh, I know. Naive as.
I knew a lot of research, a decent detector and a good understanding of geology was in order. Hence my user name (New to Geology).
I never thought I would completely transfer my obsession of lure fishing and thorough research of prospective waters over to my search for gold. But I did and I don't do a whole lot of fishing these days. Maybe a few trips a year.
Detecting has fit in well with my love of the bush and it's a healthy lifestyle for my kids. Any excuse to go bush I reckon.
Although my circumstances have changed in regards to how often I can take the 4500 out (which is never enough).
I make do by obsessing about it while at home with lots of research and a bit of eye candy from here. Oh and with my 92 subscriptions of gold related channels on YouTube. I usually get a couple of vids a day. Which is still not enough lol!

I have always wanted to head West. But back in the day it was all 4WDing and fishing related adventures.
The Kimberly was always a place I wanted to go. Beautiful to say the least.

These days, I dream of roughing it. Digging holes, with the flys and dust of WA.

Ahh, the mysteries of the Yella stuff.

Cheers,
Lee.

Last edited by NeoGeo on Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:07 am; edited 1 time in total
NeoGeo
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2015-05-06

Back to top Go down

Post  rockhunter62 on Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:56 am

Hi all,

I always had a thing for gems since I was a young tacker back in the sixty's/seventy's. Loved going bush fishing and shooting all my life but now that the kids have left home and the wife isn't that keen on my hobbies I had to change for the future. We love going bush chasing gems together so it was just a natural progression to add detecting into the mix.

The wife bought me the sdc2300 last june and we have found some gold up this way. After the wet we will be back out there looking for gold and gems again.

It is also a very relaxing pastime where you can get away from the rat race and really enjoy what Australia has to offer.

Hope to catch some of you folk out there sometime.

cheers

Doug
rockhunter62
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2016-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss on Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:22 pm

When I was a kid Mum would tell me stories about when she was a kid, how Grand Dad would head off into the bush with my Uncle (mums bro) for a week or two at a time to search for gold in and around Bonang and a place called Hadens Bog where GD had a mine.
Grand Dad would come back home with loam bags full of samples for crushing. He would sit in the back yard dollying for ages and then pan off the gold that he then placed in mercury and would send the amalgam to somewhere (mum did not know where) and after a while a cheque would arrive in the post.

When I was  about age 5  we would sometimes go to visit mums parents and grand dad would tell me stories about gold mining and prospecting and would show me some gold samples and try to explain how to Read The ground and pan the gold..... I guess it got into my brain and it has stayed with me ever since.
   I still have the last remaining speci that GD gave to Mum and Mum gave to me along with GDs gold scales and Victorian prospecting book and miners Right.
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1312
Registration date : 2015-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post  colour on Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:31 pm

In the past, did a fair bit of bicycle races around central Victoria and always wondered about prospecting. 6 years ago gave the sport way as I over did it and took up prospecting. Started panning at Creswick after reading on this website that floods fed gold into Slaty Creek. Caught gold fever when I got colour in my pan.
Happy hunting.
colour
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2014-05-13

Back to top Go down

Post  goldtalkleonora on Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:27 pm

My Dad...and I've never forgiven him.
goldtalkleonora
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2015-06-01

http://www.goldtalkleonora.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post  norvic on Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:49 pm

A compulsive purchase in 1979 of a RB7.

norvic
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2015-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post  GOLDGASM on Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:53 pm

Great thread joe, about 7-8 years ago me and dad owned a houseboat on the mighty Murray at 9 mile bend in robinvale, on the way up there we would always go through wedderburn. I always found myself looking out the window being very intrigued by the place, looking out I would think jeez gold could be off to the side of the road here or there. The more we went through wedderburn the more we would meet people and we where fortunate enough to meet a very experienced old hand who was running a house/shop type of setup selling prospecting necessities. Can't remember his name, but I shore can remember his finds. He showed us slugs of water worn gold that he was finding on a regular basis so I bought a garret groundhog there and got started in this great experience.
GOLDGASM
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 259
Registration date : 2011-06-30

Back to top Go down

Post  joe82 on Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:37 pm

I tell ya what that is great to hear those stories thankyou for sharing everyone it sure makes the memories seem like yesterday Cool isn't it funny how nealy all hobbys that involve the great outdoors lead to gold as I spent most of my childhood fishing and later hunting and camping so when a lad I use to work with sad hey what about buying a detector and having a go I thought cant be that bad love the rest of the outdoors why not (till my partner seen the price Shocked ) but she gave in Wink anyone else like to share there starting in this game!!!

joe82
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  goldie on Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:25 pm

adrian ss wrote:When I was a kid Mum would tell me stories about when she was a kid, how Grand Dad would head off into the bush with my Uncle (mums bro) for a week or two at a time to search for gold in and around Bonang and a place called Hadens Bog where GD had a mine.
Grand Dad would come back home with loam bags full of samples for crushing. He would sit in the back yard dollying for ages and then pan off the gold that he then placed in mercury and would send the amalgam to somewhere (mum did not know where) and after a while a cheque would arrive in the post.

When I was  about age 5  we would sometimes go to visit mums parents and grand dad would tell me stories about gold mining and prospecting and would show me some gold samples and try to explain how to Read The ground and pan the gold..... I guess it got into my brain and it has stayed with me ever since.
   I still have the last remaining speci that GD gave to Mum and Mum gave to me along with GDs gold scales and Victorian prospecting book and miners Right.

G'day Adrian have you read a book called "Mountains of Memories by Martin Thomas" All about Jack Mustard

goldie
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2008-11-01

Back to top Go down

gold

Post  mogy on Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:11 am

In the  eighties / nineties I spent several  holidays in Australia , I was busy  seeing all the sights and  eventually came to stay on a Queensland cattle station where the owner took a group of us  panning  , WOW  my first gold and I have been hooked ever since .
On my way home (England) I bought a magazine at the airport and found a  few pages on  panning at Helmsdale Scotland so almost on my doorstep   ! now with many many miles on the clock I have a small collection of gold  from Scotland and Wales , all panned or  sniped .
One day I hope get back to Australia and have a decent bash  at your gold . !!

mogy
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2011-08-26

Back to top Go down

Post  harrysheroes on Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:56 am

In 2009 in Tom Price 3 of us bought 4500 took about 2 months to find our first nugget, The chance to camp out with friends , the fresh air beautiful pilbarra, bush campfire yarns over a beer or 3 and the excitment of finding that patch when every signal is gold .
Have since upgraded to a 5000 and just bought an evo 17 x 13 very happy with results so beats a round of golf
harrysheroes
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2010-10-31

Back to top Go down

Post  joe82 on Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:14 am

good stuff mate it took me nealy a year to find my first bit mabie longer Embarassed it felt like for ever at one stage I put the detector under the bed for a month or 3 and lost interest but one day sitting at home I start wondering about that gully and that red ridge something tells me to go back so I do driving through the block with not a clue following a single set of tracks I think stuff it this game sux the voices say keep driving so I do and next minute I'm parked beside some OTD (old timers diggings) so I gear up walk 5m from the car and bang first bit funny how it works Cool never give up!!!!! now I'm hooked and will detect until I cant due to the leaving of this earth Very Happy

joe82
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  goldchaser on Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:26 pm

Good thread joe,some great stories
 My younger years was spent riding and racing enduros and mx alot of the time,also a keen fresh water fisho,trout and bass inbetween riding bikes,had an idea i wanted to do some panning or sluicing one day if i ever had time.
 I was down in cooma for a state enduro round,not sure what year but yamaha had just released the wr400 and i was on one,i was in a special test rounding the side of a lovely cooma hill which is only rocks,cooma is where rocks are made,anyway all i remember is a couple of full lock lock bar swaps and then i found myself off the bike down the hill a bit,it happened that quick the bike flipped with me still on the seat,pile driven into the rocks,,broke my neck,c4-5-6,no 5 veterbrae crushed and very very close to my spinal cord,so lucky im not a quad.
 So had 12 months off the bikes so the time was right for a bit of prospecting,2200 was the latest machine,got one and a xt1700 for the other half,started researching and finding untouched old timers spots out braidwood nsw way,neckbrace and all,took about 2 weeks to find the first bit,loved hiking off into the moutains exploring etc,finding a few nuggets,this led us to live in cent vic for a few yrs and now wa,enjoyed every bit of it over the years,what an adventure its been,still is..... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
goldchaser
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1265
Registration date : 2009-03-20

Back to top Go down

Post  kevlorraine2 on Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:39 pm

as a nine year old picking up opal on our sheep property at quilpie must have stirred the juices in me.

ten years later saw me picking up sapphires at anakie and then turning the best into a blue sapphire ring for my bride to come later, kept the dream alive.

thirty years after that i sold the farm and in retirement wondered what i would get up to. i bought a new fishing rod and a gp extreme detector. it turns out i found some gold before i caught any fish, so i was "hooked" and am still yet to catch my first barramundi. (gunna try that out later this year) ... kev Very Happy

kevlorraine2
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 478
Registration date : 2008-10-23

Back to top Go down

Post  joe82 on Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:10 am

goldchaser wrote:Good thread joe,some great stories
 My younger years was spent riding and racing enduros and mx alot of the time,also a keen fresh water fisho,trout and bass inbetween riding bikes,had an idea i wanted to do some panning or sluicing one day if i ever had time.
 I was down in cooma for a state enduro round,not sure what year but yamaha had just released the wr400 and i was on one,i was in a special test rounding the side of a lovely cooma hill which is only rocks,cooma is where rocks are made,anyway all i remember is a couple of full lock lock bar swaps and then i found myself off the bike down the hill a bit,it happened that quick the bike flipped with me still on the seat,pile driven into the rocks,,broke my neck,c4-5-6,no 5 veterbrae crushed and very very close to my spinal cord,so lucky im not a quad.
 So had 12 months off the bikes so the time was right for a bit of prospecting,2200 was the latest machine,got one and a xt1700 for the other half,started researching and finding untouched old timers spots out braidwood nsw way,neckbrace and all,took about 2 weeks to find the first bit,loved hiking off into the moutains exploring etc,finding a few nuggets,this led us to live in cent vic for a few yrs and now wa,enjoyed every bit of it over the years,what an adventure its been,still is..... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
bloody hell mate affraid I use to do freestyle BMX and motox but never got smashed up like that I gave that game away after a smiple snaped leg Shocked detecting is much mare sane as the age goes on thanks for sharing,cheers joe,

joe82
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss on Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:50 pm

goldie wrote:
adrian ss wrote:When I was a kid Mum would tell me stories about when she was a kid, how Grand Dad would head off into the bush with my Uncle (mums bro) for a week or two at a time to search for gold in and around Bonang and a place called Hadens Bog where GD had a mine.

G'day Adrian have you read a book called "Mountains of Memories by Martin Thomas" All about Jack Mustard

G/Day Goldie.

Grand Dads mine was called the Bull Rush Mine and mum remembers her Dad and her brother Ernie working the mine. The mine had a hand driven windlass.
      The mine was in the hills above the family home and off the Old Bonang road. I thought the mine was near Hadens bog but this is incorrect.
Have been checking with Mum re Jack mustard. She has a book written by Jack but is still to locate it.
      My grand father (Fred Edwards) knew Jack very well and Mum remembers him also although she was young at the time.
No I have not read Mountains Of memories.

Last edited by adrian ss on Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1312
Registration date : 2015-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post  goldchaser on Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:48 pm

joe82 wrote:
goldchaser wrote:Good thread joe,some great stories
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     bloody hell mate affraid I use to do freestyle BMX and motox but never got smashed up like that I gave that game away after a smiple snaped leg Shocked detecting is much mare sane as the age goes on thanks for sharing,cheers joe,

So that was it after the leg joe,you walked away,never rode again?
 I never could,it was ride at all costs,alot of mates had breaks etc and gave dirt bikes away,i had a few other breaks and now a bit older im feeling it a bit,at 35 i started to think enough is enough,got tired of hurting myself,didnt ride for 12 yrs but bought a wr250 and had a cuppla spins with some young blokes over here last year,enjoyed it but the bodies a bit beatin up- bugger Evil or Very Mad
That wasnt a "bloody hell" day either joe,in the end it was the luckiest day of my life  Very Happy

Neogeo you will get big kick when ya get to WA,you'll wonder why ya didnt do it earlier....

Last edited by goldchaser on Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:02 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : blabla)
goldchaser
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  joe82 on Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:28 am

yeah mate also put L4,L5 vert on disc from not clearing a 20ft tabletop and washing the front out into a tree so yeah hang the boots and grab the pick and fishing rod and went from there all my damage was on the WR250F had a lot of good times but yeah like ya say lucky days!!!

joe82
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  harrysheroes on Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:28 am

Isnt it amazing that when you go without finding any gold you head home feeling a bit down, But then that optimism you get when you start looking to go out again, new ground, new signs etc. we are the most optimistic people going i reckon gotta love it
harrysheroes
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2010-10-31

Back to top Go down

Post  hotrob on Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:28 pm

Similar story to Goldgasm.
As a youngster I used to travel with my family from the Wimmera thru to Gippsland every Christmas holidays.
We'd leave before dawn & generally stop for brekky & fuel around Dunolly & it was there
I spotted the anvil that the Welcome Stranger was broken up on.
It's on display in front of an old museum & been there for nearly 50 years. Anyway it sort of started the urge (I remember putting my hand up onto the anvil & thinking this is the exact spot that BEAUTIFUL nugget had been).
Then I went through the girls, shooting, fishing, enduro riding/racing phases until 20 years ago when a big get off during a KTM sponsored beer & bash (or 7 deadly sins.... can't remember which one) ride from Nowra to Dargo saw a badly mangled shoulder. Helicopter couldn't get in to the rough terrain so I had to be dinked out (ouch).
Anyway after that I hung the helmet up much to my wifes joy & mulled around for a few years before one day re remembering my gold dreams.
Been at it now for 2 or 3 years & love every opportunity I have to go. I swing a 4500 & the wife flogs me every time with the SDC.
The shoulder still gives me grief after a day on the pick but heaps better than crushed vertebraes affraid .

Rob.

hotrob
Contributor
Contributor

Registration date : 2014-12-10

Back to top Go down

Post  goldchaser on Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:50 pm

yep where lucky joe some never walked away from broken backs or necks.....

hey hotrob,was that a lynden heffernan organised ride back then,he was doing alot back in the day on the south coast,nowra was my hometown,im feelin ya pain,we had a bloke badly break his leg out the back of araluen one day,we had to bring him out in the back of a hilux,to the ambo's,about 2 hr trip,every bump the poor bugger was paying the price.....
goldchaser
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  hotrob on Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:18 pm

G'day Goldchaser,

The ride was the "Beer & Bourbon Bash" in November 2001 (I've just checked) & was organized by an ex cop named Mick (can't remember his surname) but Lynden was employed as the lead rider. He was pretty good too.

Rob.

hotrob
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Tributer on Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:29 pm

Great thread Joe, I like hearing about what background and motivations people have in our game.
I started panning gold and sieving sapphires on a regular basis from about 7yrs old near our farm at Willigobung near Tumbarumba in the nsw tablelands. I got a Garret Deepseeker at 16 and only found coins. Did not enough fossicking for years while work and kids kept me busy... but I worked with caves, rocks, bones and fossils, and gems and gold were always close by.

I watched from work with envy while my parents and brother detected WA for a few years, throwing away their old detectors and embracing the 2000, 2100 etc etc. Listening to their seasonal stories of the 20, 30 40 ounces pieces and some of the 50 oz +patches, and holding some of those slugs gave me the fever real bad and had me borrowing mums 2100 in the off season, and then I got my 2200.
Had gold fever ever since. Love the bush camping with friends and getting out.... as much as I love the gold. Cheers Tributer
Tributer
Management

Number of posts : 994
Registration date : 2008-10-27

Back to top Go down

Post  goldchaser on Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:41 pm

hotrob wrote:G'day Goldchaser,

The ride was the "Beer & Bourbon Bash" in November 2001 (I've just checked) & was organized by an ex cop named Mick (can't remember his surname) but Lynden was employed as the lead rider. He was pretty good too.

Rob.

oh yeah mick maybe from batemans bay,ended up running trail rides for ktm for years,i never went on any of them,some mates did,one you might of met - steve owens,a very good mx'er when he was young,good mates with lynden
oh yeah lynden could ride,he financed himself for years in the open class in the world championships in europe,lived in a van and raced for years over there,his carreer never really went that far but to be able to qualify for the 500cc wc's you gotta be faaarking fast and fit,he came out of retirement late 90's and got himself fit and won the  thumpernats for ktm when they were just getting back on track,i met him once through wonka,use to train with willy wonka on the odd occasion when he came to nowra,well we chased him thru the bush,they were the days rob,they were the days....... Very Happy
 lynden only ever raced a handfull of enduros as far as i know....
goldchaser
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  hotrob on Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:16 pm

Hi again mate (Goldchaser).
Had a look at a few old photos & his name was Mick Wharton......... ran a real good ride........ accommodation, fuel, support vehicles, end of day servicing, mid day meals........ a pleasure to ride with.
Lynden was lead rider & I can't remember the sweep but he was a top bloke too. I pushed Lynden a few times & that was probably why I endoed.
A few years back now & 20 kilos heavier Crying or Very sad

Rob.

hotrob
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  goldchaser on Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:34 am

yeah thats him rob,name rings a bell....
goldchaser
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top