NF Evolution 14x9

View previous topic View next topic Go down

NF Evolution 14x9

Post  whatsthetime on Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:23 pm

Getting a new skit plate for the coil in Bendigo we were told that you should not detect on the ground with this coil but keep it 1" above.
Apparently Rohan told him after a lot of testing.

Any thoughts? or is it true.

Also do you need other size tape for the plate as the normal tape is to wide. It looks shocking when put on.
whatsthetime
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 92
Registration date : 2010-03-15

Back to top Go down

Re: NF Evolution 14x9

Post  Old Hand on Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:36 pm

Tape for coil us nitto or 3m tare ,place coil on a flat surface and just turn the coil slowly but do not pull the tape to tight regards john Very Happy
Old Hand
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 408
Registration date : 2012-03-31

http://www.servimg.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jigalong on Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:48 pm

Hello Old Hand. How wide is the 3m tape ? The black tape you buy in the detecting shops is too wide for the Evolution 14 x 9 which does not have a wide side like their last models (which were easy to) tape.
Jigalong
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1308
Registration date : 2008-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Shannon4500 on Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:36 am

Hey Jig, hope all is well. You'll prob work out who I am when you see my user name. I just use electrical tape on all my evolution coils. It's actually a bit wider than the standard stuff but gets narrower as you stretch it. I take it you've still got the 5000, you'll love this coil. I've got the 17x13 and the 14x9, rarely use anything else on my 4500. I definitely dig a lot more ground noises but If it can pull a 6 grammer from a well searched area around Tibooburra it's got to be good! Let me know when you're down next and we'll meet up for a swing. Sorry guys for slightly hijacking the thread and getting a bit off track......... but I did mention the tape! Cheers Shannon
Shannon4500
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2012-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan Porter on Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:24 am

The advice to not scrub the coil is good, probably not such a problem in more benign soils or where there is leaf litter etc, but if the ground is highly mineralised and the surface minerals are concentrated then the coil will saturate (actually it is not quite saturation you are dealing with here, but similar) causing a response when the coil is coupled to the immediate ground surface. This "saturation" signal will then compete with target signals especially the deeper nuggets that are more subtle in nature signal wise. The Flat wound coils are more prone to this due to the greater overall sensitivity.

Hope this helps
JP
Jonathan Porter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 769
Registration date : 2008-11-25

http://www.theoutbackprospector.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post  joe82 on Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:08 am

cheers for the advice JP that's good to no thanks for sharing Very Happy cheers joe,

joe82
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 575
Registration date : 2013-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hand on Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:08 am

joe the 3m and nitto are the same width as insulation tape, I use it in my 19 ,15 , 14x9 and 12 and have had no troubles regards john Very Happy
Old Hand
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 408
Registration date : 2012-03-31

http://www.servimg.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Shannon4500 on Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:59 am

Hi guys, this little post begun as a quick comment on the above mentioned evolution coil....... But it grew a bit! Insulation tape works very well and another that I've used came from Officeworks. Can't remember the brand but it's very strong and available in many funky colours and patterns. I'd best describe it as a half way between insulation tape and the standard 3M coil tape. Well worth a try, and looks cool too(very important! ). Seeing that JP commented on this thread earlier I was hoping he'd see this one if left here. Mods, please move it if need be. Firstly thanks to JP for your replies. It's great to see you haven't become a "Guest" as many long time members have become recently. Hopefully they will return in good time. Your knowledge and helpful approach is genuinely appreciated by all that I've come across. Please stick around! Just a few of my thoughts on a setting I  believe to be most critical with any flat wound coil is to lower the rx gain from the numbers we are used to.  I can't comment too much regarding quiet ground, but in the highly mineralised areas I frequently detect  I've found the evo's & elites will outperform the older type coils with the gain as low as 5-6. The target signal doesn't seem to drop away in such a linear fashion as it does with the older type coils as the gain is lowered. I believe in one of Nenad's vids/posts he also suggests a lower gain/higher stab combination for these coils also. Could it be that a lot of the noise/stability type issues that are had by many are caused by the high gain(10-12) settings we all think of as minimum. Would be interesting to hear of any tests or comparisons that anyone may have conducted. I've recently been working a small patch that has given up many sub grammers over  recent years. I was confident I'd cleaned it up fairly well as I couldn't pull another target with any coil/setting. But......... then the new generation flat evo/elite series were released and another ten or so bits of similar size were retrieved from depths I wasn't used to. Sometimes even a little disappointed  by the signal to nugget size ratio! They sound so big n chunky! In this extremely mineralised area with many red clay pockets etc I found myself dropping the gain lower and lower in an attempt to minimise the majority of target masking noises. In these type areas I rarely seem to run a gain of much more than 6-7 and still regularly find gold. I do however run a higher than normal stab (12-13), normal audio etc, not sure if this makes up for the reduced gain or not. I'm no expert and of course this is my opinion purely based on my own observations on my detector (an early 4500).
JP I'd be extremely appreciative to hear your thoughts on this. 

Good luck out there, Shannon

Shannon4500
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  au-fever on Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:39 am

Just a point about using insulation tape on search coils, apparently plastic/pvc insulation tape contains lead, and after doing a google search saw that in fact some manufactures of insulation tapes were stating that their tape was made from "low lead" pvc, I recall some time back in a post about coil tapes on this forum that there was some debate as to whether or not the amount of lead contained in these tapes was in fact enough to cause any issue with a coil.

As it is commonly believed any metallic object within the coils field can desensitize it, this is the reasoning behind the introduction of the otto type fibreglass top and lower shafts, and advice being given to be sure to place metallic items carried on your person well away from the coil, more so of an issue with the bigger coils probably, the amount of effect to the coil due to lead in the tape might be negligible its hard to say, as we know even a build up of soil particles between the coil and skid plate can cause noticeable issues some times?

There may not be enough to worry about, but I have just continued to use coil tape anyway, its a bit thicker and offers better side protection for the coil, but if left on too long its hard to get off the coil, also some people said that they also used lucosilk medical or surgical tape as well, so as it comes in several widths it might be a better option for the narrower sides on the evo coils.

au-fever

au-fever
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 89
Registration date : 2016-10-22

Back to top Go down

nitto tape

Post  gpxman on Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:58 am

hi guys I just use nitto electrical tape its lead free when detecting in over 40degree heat it sometimes can slip off which is annoying but a lot better then the cloth tape.

something that mite be worth trying in saturated areas is a high rx with a low tune (below 50) quiet audio, stab low 6 or so.. I have found in my area some noisy ground if I can crank it up it settles back down, seems that the really noisy stuff is within the first couple of inches how I come about this was sdc wouldn't run on 2or 3 but would run smooth on 5 so I thought id try the same with gpx and haven't looked back I have dug some monster holes for nuggets up to 25g with these settings

just my thoughts gpx man

gpxman
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2017-01-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Jigalong on Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:42 pm

Great info everbody thanks. Those two comments on settings, has given me something to try out.

Things I have noticed about the 14 x 9

Taping the thin sides is a big problem.

The skid plate has about 2mm of play in it - a very lose fit, which lets in dirt, if you get a hole in the tape.

The sweet spot for pinpointing is further back on the coil than on my old 12 x 9, which was nearly right on the nose

When I get a 0.2gm out of the hole, it sounds like a 1gm nugget.

On quiet ground, I tested the 1" above the ground idea on 2 faint targets I had found. They just disappeared at 1" above the ground.
Jigalong
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

nf 14x9

Post  gpxman on Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:53 pm

hi guys just one other thort the heavy duty aftermarket skid plates are allot snugger fit and come up higher on the sides of the coil which helps protect the coil better but on the downside harder to tape.. I use all heavy duty skids and only tape on the coil to where it has the two groove lines around the top of the coil the tape is 2/3rds on the skid plate and I slightly stretch it when applying(remember its 2/3 on the skid plate so its not putting pressure on the coil)that way the tape will lay smooth with no wrinkles only time I've had problems is when its wet or 40degrees plus.

just thought it mite help someone
Gpx man

gpxman
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2017-01-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Shannon4500 on Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:03 pm

Hi all, With regards to the gap between the coil and skid that Jig pointed out, this definitely becomes more of an issue with the spoked coils. I've always stuck them on with silicone. Just the roof n gutter one or similar, the auto stuff is unnecessarily strong. Just a tiny dab in the centre and a thin bead around all edges. U can just about wipe it all off and just leave a bit to fill the gaps. Done this way you don't need to remove it until it's worn through. Comes off very easily, and you can just about leave the old silicone as is, the new skid will fit nicely. When dry tape as normal to protect the edges. Not a spec of dust will get in. You'll wonder why you've been untaping and taping for all these years! Just heading out to a local river to give the sluice a run! Nice night for it!

Cheers Shannon
Shannon4500
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Jigalong on Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:39 am

Thanks GPXMAN and Shannon, good info. Shannon , wher do you live now, that you can pan so close to home. I remember you used to work in the city.
Jigalong
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top