Modded GPX 5000 info and likes/dislikes/opinions

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Modded GPX 5000 info and likes/dislikes/opinions

Post  GoldBug365 on Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:05 am

I am thinking about having my 5000 modded and would like to know what you beepers in OZ think! Your opinions, expertise, likes and dislikes and if you think it's worth the expense!! Thanks from GoldBug in Nevada Q10 Q08 V11

GoldBug365
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2016-12-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Modded GPX 5000 info and likes/dislikes/opinions

Post  joe82 on Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:17 pm

g,day mate, I no a lad with a modded 5000 and he loves it, don't no about the states be here minlab wont touch any modded detector that they made, warranty trade in ect, but he thinks its good finding gold on old ground deeper quieter???? many don't like modding for some reason Shocked lets hope someone here will have some info on it!, cheers joe,

joe82
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 587
Registration date : 2013-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post  jackthehound on Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:56 pm

Just my opinion on the subject. I am not saying it is impossible for someone to do, however how many backyard modders would be as smart or better than Bruce Candy in the spec's, designing and circuitry of metal detectors. Put simply, I would not do it. Lets see what others have to say anyway.

jackthehound
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2016-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post  gim on Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:08 am

personally I wouldn't, I cant see why you would want to turn a rollsroyce in to a mini moke.

gim
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 89
Registration date : 2008-10-30

Back to top Go down

Post  granite2 on Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:55 pm

I have handled a few modded detectors over the years and after trying them I would never have a detector of mine modded.

Cheers Jim
granite2
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1513
Registration date : 2009-10-12

Back to top Go down

Post  Digginerup on Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:56 pm

Who is going to mod it and what do you expect the outcomes to be?, can the "modder" demonstrate an advantage .......other than the lightening of your wallet Rolling Eyes

Wayne. cheers
Digginerup
Management

Number of posts : 2326
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Back to top Go down

Post  au-fever on Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:58 am

I think that some early model detectors such as the sd2000 do have some increased benefits from being modded, giving them the option to have increased sensitivity for small gold by adding two higher frequencies that are manually selectable, so you can also run it in the stock standard frequencies as well if you prefer, a couple of things on the downside is that many people were doing mods to them and not all were done the same, in the case of the hot chip mods with the 4 position rotary switch some modders used positions 1- 2 as the original frequencies and 3-4 as the two new ones, but other modders did it the other way round, so it was a case of trial and error to work out which was which if you bought one second hand and didn't get any instructions with it.

Later detectors such as the gpx machines may have some benefits from modding but unless you are able to try it side by side with a stock standard one and see the performance for yourself in the field the its pretty much an unknown, feedback I have had from friends who have had later model machines modded has not always been favourable and the main complaint was that they could end up noisy and unstable, if this occurs due to some conditions and you are able to just switch it back to standard then that's fine but if not you are stuck with it, the other downside is as previously mentioned minelab wont do any repairs on it so you are at the mercy of the modder to get repairs done, if they for some reason go out of business then what do you do with it then?, not intentionally bagging modders by the way just saying that the reality is a stock standard detector is less of an issue to have repaired probably.

I would welcome some feedback from anyone who's has and uses a modded gpx4500 and do they really think it performs better than as original.

cheers

au-fever

au-fever
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 97
Registration date : 2016-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down