recovering gold from aqua regia.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Post  xmas tree on Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:28 pm

Does anyone know how to recover gold in solution from "poor mans aqua regia" Iv'e looked on the internet,but there are many conflicting potions to use. I don't want to use the wrong brew and end up losing th e gold. any advice would be greatly appreciated. xmas tree

xmas tree
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2016-06-06

Back to top Go down

Re: recovering gold from aqua regia.

Post  goldtalkleonora on Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:49 pm

why are you using ar? what is it your trying to do?
goldtalkleonora
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2015-06-01

http://www.goldtalkleonora.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post  alchemist on Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:59 pm

Heat your Auric Chloride to below boiling point.
Add a few small beads of Urea, just a pinch, if it fizzes keep on adding SMALL amounts until the fizzing stops.
Once you can add urea without any reaction, the solution is ready to drop the gold.
A few precipitant choices exist, oxalic acid is one I sometimes use but this is for more experienced, Ferrous Sulphate is another common one, but this must be fresh and potent, I don't like it much.
My favourite is Sodium Metabisulphite, use about 1 gram per gram of Au expected, disolve it in a small amount of hot water and add it very slowly to your Auric Chloride, all going well the solution will start to turn brown and begin forming clouds of dark powder. Allow to cool down and more will drop with the temperature.

Incidently the colour of the precipitate straight after adding the sulphite gives a rough idea of the purity, light golden colour denotes very pure gold powder, and black denotes impurities are present, usually a second or third dissolve/drop cycle will clean it up, especially if you use different precipitants.

Cheers
Kev

alchemist
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 479
Registration date : 2009-01-06

Back to top Go down

Post  alchemist on Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:53 am

A further thought.......once you have dropped the gold and left it for a day or so to fully settle, decant and filter your solution, but before disposing of it, test it with Stannous Chloride to ensure all gold has been extracted.

You can make Stannous Chloride by dissolving a couple of inches of SnPb solder in 10 mils of HCL (Muriatic Acid)

Put a few drops of Stannous on a piece of blotting paper then put one drop of "exhausted" AuCl on top of the Stannous, if it turns dark (light purple to black) there is still gold remaining in the liquor. You could leave your liquor for a week or two and see if more slowly drops out and then test again, but if the test gave a jet black smear you might be best going through the dropping process again.

The Stannous Chloride goes off after a month or two so you need to keep making a fresh batch for testing if it gets old. After awhile you get a feel for it and usually by looking can tell if the drop was fully successful, except when using Oxalic Acid, the liquor turns clear after precipitation, but can still contain a large amount of colloidal nano particulate Au.

Cheers.

alchemist
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  xmas tree on Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:46 am

[Hquote="goldtalkleonora"]why are you using ar? what is it your trying to do?[/quote]  Hi goldtalk.I wanted to dissolve a 10 gram nugget which is covered in ironstone and brown stained quartz fragments. Iwouldn't have been using a.r. as it has nitric acid in it,which i probably wouldn't be allowed to buy anyway. I was thinking of using "poor mans a.r.,which is on you tube,as it seemed less risky.The first stage looked simple enough,but recovering the gold seemed a bit complicated/involved for me.I read "Alchemists reply,and if that's the easiest way to recover it, i think i'll just dolly it up and pan it off. Regards xmas tree

xmas tree
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  xmas tree on Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:18 am

g'day Alchemist.Thanks for your very informative reply to my question. I've got a 10 gram nugget, which is very rough and covered in ironstone and quartz fragments,and it's really ugly, that i wanted to dissolve then recover using "poor mans" aqua regia which i saw on you tube, which didn't have nitric acid, etc in it. After reading your reply i've decided it's all too involved for such a small amount of gold so i'll probably dolly it up. Many thanks for  your prompt and educational reply.I'm sure other members will find it very useful. xmas tree.

xmas tree
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  goldtalkleonora on Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:43 am

If the objective is to remove the Fe etc...burn it out in a furnace and use flux's to remove most of the impurities.
goldtalkleonora
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2015-06-01

http://www.goldtalkleonora.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post  alchemist on Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:32 am

xmas tree wrote:g'day Alchemist.Thanks for your very informative reply to my question. I've got a 10 gram nugget, which is very rough and covered in ironstone and quartz fragments,and it's really ugly, that i wanted to dissolve then recover using "poor mans" aqua regia which i saw on you tube, which didn't have nitric acid, etc in it. After reading your reply i've decided it's all too involved for such a small amount of gold so i'll probably dolly it up. Many thanks for  your prompt and educational reply.I'm sure other members will find it very useful. xmas tree.

No worries, although if the gold is contiguous throughout, you could try putting it in Septone Ali Brite Aluminium cleaner. I got my last bottle from Supercheap Auto.

If you cover your speci with it in a plastic cup and leave it a few weeks, the Ali Brite will eat away the quartz. You need to exchange the Ali Brite for fresh stuff after 3 or 4 days for best results.

If you have a pyrex or borosilicate beaker you can mildly heat it and really speed up the process.

Always wear gloves and eye protection with this stuff though.

You might end up with a very beautiful nugget and a couple of grams of dust.

Cheers Kev.

alchemist
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Minermike on Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:45 pm

PM me for a PDF file on Gold Refining . Send e-mail address.
Minermike
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1192
Registration date : 2011-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post  xmas tree on Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:53 pm

G,day Minermike. I,d like to get the information from you, but can't as i haven't made the required 10? posts so i'm unable to p.m. you. Being a bit of a technophobe i don't know any way of getting around this. I'll p.m. you when i've got the posts up. Sorry about the delay in getting back to you,as i've been up the bush detecting,4 nuggets? for 1.16 grams. petrol money. xmas tree.

xmas tree
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  davsgold on Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:51 pm

G'day xmas tree

Yes I know it's a bit annoying, but it's mainly to to stop spammers that just join on and start sending PM straight away.

You have only got 3 posts to go and you good to go, I'm sure it won't take you long to post a few more times and you can then use the PM system.

cheers dave
ADMIN

Management

Number of posts : 5301
Registration date : 2008-10-25

Back to top Go down

Post  xmas tree on Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:05 am

Thank Dave. I understand. what is considered a post and what isn't xmas tree

xmas tree
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  xmas tree on Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:50 am

Hi Alchemist. Is the urea you use common garden type variety that can be bought from Bunnings shops, or does it have to be a more refined variety? xmas tree.

xmas tree
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  alchemist on Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:54 am

xmas tree wrote:Hi Alchemist. Is the urea you use common garden type variety that can be bought from Bunnings shops, or does it have to be a more refined variety? xmas tree.

Garden variety is OK. Unless you want 99.9999% pure gold then you would need to refine the urea first.

But with most native gold you should easily get 99.7% or better even with the crudest method. Electronic scrap is where you need to be extra careful to get the most crud out.

If you're only doing a small amount of refining you can get Sodium Metabisulphite from a home brew shop, used to sterilize equipment, this is food grade and very pure. If you're going to be doing many ounces then a wholesale source would be far cheaper though.

1 more post now xmas tree and you can contact Mike.

Cheers Kev.

Last edited by alchemist on Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:08 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added extra :-))

alchemist
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  xmas tree on Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:46 am

Hi Alchemist. Thanks again for the info.I bought some sodium bisulphate a couple of weeks ago as a home brew shop is about 2ks from my place.Would i still need to use urea,or would the sodium do the job alone? Iv'e watched some videos on gold recovery from electronic components. It seems like a lot of effort for little return to me.I'd rather be out in the bush swinging.I read your reply to Joe regarding 19"coil settings,which i'll try on mine, as i've been haveing a lot of trouble with mine.some days i've just given up and put the 14" back on. i've tried cranking it up to high yield, difficult,high smoothing,low sens, but still screaming. it was at Inglewood where the ground's real hot. At about 8pm that day i went about 20 ks from there and it ran perfect.very confusing.So i'll be taking your notes,with JPs and Cory dales out there for a refresher course.xmas tree.

xmas tree
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Minermike on Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:09 pm

Alchemist I sent you a PM. do you want that PDF file ?
Minermike
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1192
Registration date : 2011-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post  alchemist on Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:40 am

xmas tree wrote:Hi Alchemist. Thanks again for the info.I bought some sodium bisulphate a couple of weeks ago as a home brew shop is about 2ks from my place.Would i still need to use urea,or would the sodium do the job alone? Iv'e watched some videos on gold recovery from electronic components. It seems like a lot of effort for little return to me.I'd rather be out in the bush swinging.I read your reply to Joe regarding 19"coil settings,which i'll try on mine, as i've been haveing a lot of trouble with mine.some days i've just given up and put the 14" back on. i've tried cranking it up to high yield, difficult,high smoothing,low sens, but still screaming. it was at Inglewood where the ground's real hot. At about 8pm that day i went about 20 ks from there and it ran perfect.very confusing.So i'll be taking your notes,with JPs and Cory dales out there for a refresher course.xmas tree.

You should still use the Urea xmas tree.
The proper way to do it is by boiling the Auric down to a syrup to exhaust all the unspent Nitric. The Urea is a cheats way, a shortcut method of "killing" the Nitric, especially useful if you have made your Aqua Regia with Hydrogen Chloride (Muriatic) and a Sodium or Potassium Salt, so called 'Poor mans' AR'

If you don't kill the Nitric before adding the Metabisulphite, gold will start to dissolve again as soon as it forms meaning you will need to add more precipitant making a good drop less likely.

It all gets a bit confusing, but eventually you will understand what each process does and why you are doing it and see that there are many different ways to achieve the same result, I think this is where the confusion arrises.

The 19" is a pain in the back, but it will reach really deep for larger specimens. Don't give up, when conditions are right and you use it with confidence I'm sure you will be rewarded.

I've not hit anything big yet, but the larger specs in my neck of the woods are loners, solitary hatters that don't company with lesser specimens so it's just a matter of extending the boundaries, stepping them out and it'll produce.

Cheers Kev.

alchemist
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  alchemist on Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:40 am

Here's a link to Hoke's book, considered by many to be the amateur refiners bible.

Warning for the bandwidth hobbled a   2 Megabyte pdf
Link: Hoke's book

alchemist
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  xmas tree on Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:36 am

G'day Alchemist. I've just had a look at Hokes book. It'll take a bit of reading, but i'm happy to do it. Thanks again for all the info you've provided. Still battling the 19" coil, but i hope i'll get on top of it eventually. xmas tree

xmas tree
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top