goldfield acrobatics.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

goldfield acrobatics.

Post  slimpickens on Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:12 am

If you have to cross a goldfield water race that has water in it, and you have one of these in your belt,

and it's long handle almost reaches your ankles, and your going to leap across like superman....... make sure the handle doesn't get entangled in your legs and you don't fall flat on your face while trying to protect your detector. If the point of the pick which was facing upwards was a few degrees either way it would have have been doing exploratory lung surgery. "Please remove your pick and throw it over the other side, before attempting goldfield acrobatics." (Brought to you by safety Sally) If not,this is the result 2 weeks after. The purple patch was 3 times as big. Also left shoulder in pain last two weeks.

PS. I did make it to the other side, with the GPZ in one piece, except for the arm brace which flew off Embarassed

Management

Number of posts : 3511
Registration date : 2010-08-04

Back to top Go down

Re: goldfield acrobatics.

Post  davsgold on Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:14 am

I feel your pain mate, only it's my right shoulder neck and wrist, only other difference I was thrown out of a ute while fighting a fire on last Saturday, result, Ambulance trip to hospital then scans and xrays and now very sore and waiting for it to get better quickly.

Resting at home and annoying the Mrs

cheers dave
davsgold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 5314
Registration date : 2008-10-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Ash100456 on Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:13 pm

Yeah good point slimpickens, good point ! Most Zed users are carrying around a larger pick hoping for a deepy and to just quicken up the digging process as most times you do have to do a larger hole than with a GPX that we were used to . Did use my GPX detector as a brake when climbing in around very steep hills up in Qld, Hate to think what the hip mounted pick might have done to me if i had fallen. Next day the GPX handle snapped off.
Cheers
Ashley
Ash100456
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 871
Registration date : 2009-11-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Sharkbait on Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:46 pm

Ouch!! Slim,now that's what I call takin one for the team ( Team GPZ) Razz

Luckily,no nasty accidents to speak of..(I'm touching my wooden desk as I type) Q10
Sharkbait
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 728
Registration date : 2013-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Digginerup on Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:14 pm

Damn Slim  affraid , lucky escape, that's a nasty little pointy pick you have there affraid  shishkebab prospector would not be good No  took a tumble recently at work  Rolling Eyes  no defence, fell over my own shadow actually, took my considerable mass on my left shoulder in a very ungraceful stumble and roll,  V33  still a bit sore and limited 2 Months later but injured my dignity the most  Embarassed  , all captured on CCTV  Rolling Eyes , provides the crew at work with some light amusement  lol! , get well.

Wayne. cheers
Digginerup
Management

Number of posts : 2326
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Back to top Go down

Post  joe82 on Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:08 am

hey wayne, I'm still waiting to see that footage Very Happy lucky boy slim not the best outcome but better than a pick hangin out ya guts Shocked I like to make a (point)ha get it Shocked of always having my hurty bit facing out the back so if I go down I cop the blunt end instead of a second bum affraid

joe82
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 587
Registration date : 2013-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post  slimpickens on Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:40 am

joe82 wrote:hey wayne, I'm still waiting to see that footage Very Happy lucky boy slim not the best outcome but better than a pick hangin out ya guts Shocked I like to make a (point)ha get it Shocked of always having my hurty bit facing out the back so if I go down I cop the blunt end instead of a second bum :afraid:

Due to the weight of the shovel part of the pick Joe, the pointy (hurty) bit always spins up facing the back. Have since cut off 2" off handle length..... much more manageable, and doesn't hit the back of my ankles.
Now of course I sling the effing thing across to wherever I'm going to jump to.

**** Safety Sally concurs "Do the right thing, and sling the effing thing"   (Sung to the tune) 'Knock Knock Knocking on Heavens Door' Cool Laughing

Management

Back to top Go down

Post  Minermike on Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:43 am

Fell off a 44 gallon drum and broke 2 ribs , whilst out in the bush. Very painful, 3 hour drive to Cloncurry Hospital . Had to go back to hospital after 4 days and stay in. The large box of Panadol ,they gave me, was not much help. They put me on Targin ? which is kept under lock and key. I think I could have handled it better if I had been younger.
Minermike
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1219
Registration date : 2011-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post  davsgold on Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:03 pm

Ouch Mike that's gotta bloody hurt.

And just a bit of info on my accident, the RFS don't want to know about it, they say unless an official RFS truck has turned up then whatever you do up till then is NOT covered by their insurance, this is bloody handy was my reply.  I said what do you do just wait till a RFS truck turns up, he say No you must attempt to control the fire.  FFS Shocked Suspect

My question is when does it begin to become an official RFS incident, like when the 000 emergency number was called and requested the RFS truck be deployed, or when the RFS truck actually get there? Suspect

Just be careful if you volunteer is the message I get from all this.

cheers dave
davsgold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Minermike on Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:46 pm

It heart the most when I tried to get out of bed , the broken ribs stuck into my guts. I was on the floor of my caravan for half an hour , before I could get up.
Minermike
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1219
Registration date : 2011-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post  slimpickens on Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:43 pm

Yeah Mike, we could all handle it better and recover quicker when we were in our twenties.......ouch!

Dave, the authorities always suggest you leave early when a bush fire is coming towards your home but i think in reality they'd like you to have a go at combating it first till they get there act together. Mind you they do a bloody good job when they do arrive. I've had 9 fire trucks line up on my boundary to protect my farm when my neighbours bird scaring cannon mistimed and burnt down half his vineyard, I didn't lose a blade of grass.

Management

Back to top Go down

Post  davsgold on Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:55 pm

G'day Harry

Yes I agree the RFS do a marvelous job.

My complaint is that since I got injured fighting a fire, they say because I am not a member of the RFS then basically tough luck. I have been emailing back and forth all day to there main office for various clarifications. The main one is your not covered by RFS insurance until an OIC (Oficer In Charge) gets there and takes control. Shocked

I think not so many would volunteer if they knew this. affraid

cheers dave
davsgold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  slimpickens on Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:06 pm

davsgold wrote:G'day Harry

Yes I agree the RFS do a marvelous job.

My complaint is that since I got injured fighting a fire, they say because I am not a member of the RFS then basically tough luck.  I have been emailing back and forth all day to there main office for various clarifications.  The main one is your not covered by RFS insurance until an OIC (Officer In Charge) gets there and takes control. Shocked

I think not so many would volunteer if they knew this. affraid    

cheers dave

Then if this is the case, they should take out a full page ad in every newspaper and state this clearly. Watch the volunteering numbers drop then. But of course they wont.... they'd rather treat you as mushrooms and keep you in the dark and unsure of your predicament if the shite hits the fan.

Management

Back to top Go down

Post  Digginerup on Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:31 pm

joe82 wrote:hey wayne, I'm still waiting to see that footage Very Happy lucky boy slim not the best outcome but better than a pick hangin out ya guts Shocked I like to make a (point)ha get it Shocked of always having my hurty bit facing out the back so if I go down I cop the blunt end instead of a second bum affraid

and you never will my friend  No , given my situation it would be illegal to copy the footage but more importantly  Embarassed  if it got out it would further injure my dignity and pride and allow you to taunt me when your drunk lol!  interesting topic of insurance for RFS, might be a question for your mob Joe?

Wayne. cheers
Digginerup
Management

Number of posts : 2326
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Back to top Go down

Post  joe82 on Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:21 am

aarrhhh drunk taunting I whould never do such a thing Shocked its always funny when its someone else Q12 cool little song slim will remember that one, you can never be to safe when you are a long way from home T06

joe82
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  joe82 on Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:28 am

Digginerup wrote:
joe82 wrote:hey wayne, I'm still waiting to see that footage Very Happy lucky boy slim not the best outcome but better than a pick hangin out ya guts Shocked I like to make a (point)ha get it Shocked of always having my hurty bit facing out the back so if I go down I cop the blunt end instead of a second bum affraid

and you never will my friend  No , given my situation it would be illegal to copy the footage but more importantly  Embarassed  if it got out it would further injure my dignity and pride and allow you to taunt me when your drunk lol!  interesting topic of insurance for RFS, might be a question for your mob Joe?

Wayne. cheers
yeah mate will raise that issue at training next Tuesday and let ya no, interesting to find out about this!

joe82
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top