Prospectors grave plaque

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Prospectors grave plaque

Post  Tributer on Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:14 pm

With respect to Mr Miller, I enclose an image of his grave plaque from a cemetery at Hill End NSW. I just like the sentiment of the phrase on his plaque.

I believe (but could be wrong) that Mr Miller lived some of the time in the tin shack/humpy on Golden Gully just up from fossicking area at Tambaroora. The floor of the shack has a metre of water over it in floods. He prospected there all the time and I said hello a couple of times. I did not know him, maybe others on the forum did. One day I actually drove over his underwear accidently....he had them soaking in puddle on the track. RIP Mr Miller.

The phrase on the gravestone would probably be apt for a few on this forum

Tributer
Tributer
Management

Number of posts : 984
Registration date : 2008-10-27

Back to top Go down

Re: Prospectors grave plaque

Post  Digginerup on Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:46 pm

RIP Ken Miller, no doubt penned by someone who knew him well.

Wayne. cheers
Digginerup
Management

Number of posts : 2326
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Back to top Go down

Post  slimpickens on Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:29 pm

Nice Tributer. I'll tell you what I'm going to do. I'm going to give you 5 minutes to put that phrase up as your signature or else I'm stealing it. ( If no one beats me to it) Love it!

Management

Number of posts : 3506
Registration date : 2010-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post  slimpickens on Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:36 pm

Thanks Steve.

Management

Number of posts : 3506
Registration date : 2010-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post  nero_design on Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:09 pm

I caught this shot of his tombstone back in early 2015. Was amused then and I'm still amused now.
Sounds like he had Gold Fever. Also sounds like his family had a similar sense of humor too.

nero_design
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1903
Registration date : 2008-11-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Tributer on Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:07 pm

Hey Nero, in the time between you taking your photo and me mine, Mr Miller..or...has drank the bottle of Bundy.

Tributer.
PS Nero, there used to be a lot more Hill End gold finds posted on the forum a few year ago... compared to now..hey.
Tributer
Management

Back to top Go down

Post  Tributer on Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:52 pm

slimpickens wrote:Nice Tributer. I'll tell you what I'm going to do. I'm going to give you 5 minutes to put that phrase up as your signature or else I'm stealing it. ( If no one beats me to it) Love it!
Leave the forum for an hour and look what happens. You can have the signature SP.
My plague will be "The golden goddess worn him down, but it cost her an arm and a leg."
Tributer
Management

Back to top Go down

Post  goldchaser on Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:00 pm

Thats a ripper,Tributer you go up the pilbara,have you ever seen the old grave north of Tamboura?
Spell check maybe on tamboora....
Western shaw country.....
goldchaser
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1258
Registration date : 2009-03-20

Back to top Go down

Post  nero_design on Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:34 pm

Tributer wrote:Hey Nero, in the time between you taking your photo and me mine, Mr Miller..or...has drank the bottle of Bundy.

Tributer.
PS Nero, there used to be a lot more Hill End gold finds posted on the forum a few year ago... compared to now..hey.

You're right, it think some of that booze might have gone down a bit.  There's an unopened can there too on another grave... I don't think anyone would dare pinch it though.  They were burying someone the last time I was there so the cemetery is still in use today.  I regularly see fresh flowers etc on some of the graves. Quite a few infants buried there and we can only imagine how tragic their passing must have been.  I found a family of White's Skinks and even some Jackie Lizards living among the graves.  They seem to flourish and I suspect that the regular flowers might attract insects.  There's also the Ants.
It's a fairly peaceful place and there's some incredible history buried there.  From memory it's located next to Dead Man's Gully so there's a good chance they chose this spot long ago and just kept adding to it as miners passed away.  A few armed servicemen are also interred on the plot.  It gets a little creepy outside the boundary fence because I've found a few bones sticking out of the ground in the carpark area and they don't appear to belong to kangaroos.

I think Bob The Builder owns this plot.  Someone seems to have fond memories of his interests and has spread them about on his grave.

You're right about the lack of gold-finds from Hill End showing up here.  I don't believe anyone I know or communicate with has brought any gold in from Hill End recently either.  I was there a couple of times whilst passing through with friends and we dug about but didn't find anything... other than a piece of quartz with a but of copper embedded in it which was very odd. It sure set off the detectors. I know the place has really been given a thrashing by prospectors over the years but surely there's still some nice gold yet to be plucked from the ground there.  I always recommend people visit Hill End.  Not because there's an opportunity to find gold but because the rich history there is interesting and there's a lot to see, experience and explore there. And the locals are always in need of passing traffic. It's a fascinating (and very pretty) little town.

A 'White's Skink' (that was too fast for me to catch) has made his home in the rocks placed over one of the graves.
I know they're common but I rarely see them.  This is the first one I've photographed.

A 'Jackie Lizard' on one of the Graves at Hill End's Cemetery.

This one wasn't as fast...
nero_design
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1903
Registration date : 2008-11-18

Back to top Go down

WARNING

Post  mogy on Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:08 am

That is a great pic ,and I clicked on it to get a bigger clearer look BUT there seems to be a virus in it an automated message came on warning me ,my computer had a infection and unless I rang the number given my computer would be shut down ,

Can something be done about this , I have assumed its a scam.

mogy
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2011-08-26

Back to top Go down

Post  mogy on Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:11 am

Ive just seen how many other pics there now are after the initial one , I am referring to the original and first memorial grave plaque.

mogy
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

pic

Post  mogy on Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:17 am

Sorry for wasting your time guys , just went on to the pic again an nothing , can only think its something already in my pc , although the anti virus claims its ok

mogy
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top