Well how is it

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Well how is it

Post  Dig24crt on Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:50 pm

Well how is it.
Really love true information and give it.John Gladdis said to me years ago , Noel this is DD soil , highly mineralised. I understood this by my early days on 2200ds and gp3000s.Watched the ascension of the Monos , the 4000 which in victoria I believe is a step backwards (less penatration than a 3500 with a Dd) and thru to the 5000.My thought 4000 rubbish 4500 noisier but better.
Took the missus to a new area , running a 3500 with a 11 dd found 2.2 grams that even with the top scrapped a 5000 with a 11 mono couldnt recognize. Honest stuff.My challenge dont run the usual bullshit .If you paid big money for a 7000 are you happy .7 pieces for 1.4 gr doesnt do it for me .
Results
Cheers dig

Dig24crt
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 886
Registration date : 2008-10-29

Back to top Go down

Re: Well how is it

Post  kon61 on Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:51 pm

Noel, I will have to differ with your opinion, but on the GPZ 7000 only. I don't normally talk much about my nugget finds, but when mates around me were using the 4s/4.5 & GPX 5000s finding small bits in shallow mineralized ground, whilst me, still using a good working SD 2200d coupled to a good working Coiltek Elite DD, Minelab commander 15x12 DD or NF round DD, guess who kept finding the larger, bigger gold at depth, in highly mineralized ground? Yep, you guessed it, me. Smile
The GPZ 7000 is a different beast all-together. I did argue at the beginning that $10,700 was a steep price to pay for something that seemed to give us an average depth on gold nuggets of say, between 10 to 20% better overall results than a good working 5000, using a similar in size coil, but after having used one over the last couple of years, (and although far from perfect) I could never see myself going back to using any other detector on the market, for chasing the "Golden Ointment". Truly the GPZ 7000 is a good leap forward & one of Minelabs best hand held detectors ever made, in the pursuit, of gold nugget hunting today.

Cheers Kon. Q11
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4997
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  deutran on Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:52 am

One thing thats commonly forgotten is that the new flat wound coils are up to 30% deeper than the standard mono so blitz the old DD's on small gold at depth.The new timings in mineralized ground are the success of the Gpx series and found most of the small gold the Gp and SD series missed in this hotter ground.
Note that I,m talking about small gold as I,ve seen nothing to indicate that there is any improvement on larger gold depth over the older detectors with DD coils.I'm not surprised to see the 3500 pull up the 2.2g with a DD that was missed.However that small gold adds up to a significant amount.When I first got the 4500 I worked with 2 other operators with 3000,s and 3500,s for about a year and it was absolutely chalk and cheese.In fact they put there detectors away and helped me clean up areas and we shared the gold from the Gpx.The only machine that could compete was a modded 3500 with a 14" Nf mono that found missed solids usually 1-2g size.
The 5000 was a step up again with a big advantage on specimen type gold and definitely worth the upgrade.
We all like to chase the bigger pieces but have to be realistic about whats left and taking something home each day,its a finite resource thats running out.
Too much emphasis is placed on the technology at the moment as being the explanation for the lack of gold but if any good detector is waved over new ground it will find it.Another misconception is for some reason everyone thinks the bigger gold is deeper and that deeper is the answer.The early diggers found many larger flat nuggets on the surface along with the early vlf detectors and the roundish solids both large and small tend to be deeper.How many times do we find small flat floaters on the surface or decent nuggets mixed in with the rubbish.
At the moment I don't see results coming in from anybody with any new gear but I have seen some excellent finds from long term detectorists with good knowledge of their goldfields.
Last season the 5000 with the 14"Elite was able to pull up specimens in a patch that none of our earlier detectors could find including the 4500 with the same coil.This is a melt from yesterday of those missed specimens;

It all adds up.This payed for the detector and coil just in one old patch first located about 25 years ago Very Happy
deutran
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1546
Registration date : 2009-09-26

Back to top Go down

Post  au-fever on Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:30 am

Like everybody using detectors prior to the release of the gpx machines I used both dd and mono coils on the gp extreme and gp3500, as and where the ground allowed, some time back we worked an area that produced hundreds of nuggets and specimens to the last squeak with dd coils, the ground was way too hot to run a mono, and when I attempted to use an 8" or 11" mono I ended up giving it away as there were far to many false signals and the noise gave me the shits in the end Mad , so I had no option but just to go back to using a dd coil.

When the gpx 4500 came out and I read about the enhance timing and that it could run mono coils on hot ground I immediately thought of this particular spot as being the place to try it out on, we got back there eventually a season or two later, and myself and a mate were both running gpx4500's by then and I was astounded at how quiet it would run on that same super hot ground with a mono coil on it compared to how it was before and you could easily have mistaken it for another spot, anyway long story short we pulled about 15 ounces out of that place between the two of us over a couple of days, some of the specimens were just under the surface and scratched out with the boot, and some were deeper, I could not believe that the gold was still there and what we had missed?, as three of us had worked the area over and over with gp extremes-3000/3500's and in the end given the spot away as being cleaned out.

There are so many ground types that its always worth trying a dd over a mono or vice versa, just as some detectors are more suited to some places than others so too are coils and who cares about the size of the gold as any colour is good colour cyclops

au-fever

au-fever
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2016-10-22

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum