Spraybars for sluice

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Spraybars for sluice

Post  Szabie on Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:30 pm

Gday fellas what I am doing at the moment is building a sluice it is 500mm wide and 2.5m long. It is going to go under my jig for the fines. It gets a good feed of water from the jig itself and I am also boosting the water with a 50mm PVC pipe at the end of the sluice the problem I am having is how feed the water out of the pipe should I drill small holes, big holes or slice it along the length of the pipe ...I am open to all constructive critisism cheers .. I would post pics but can't figure out how Twisted Evil

Szabie
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2016-11-17

Back to top Go down

-spraybars-for-sluice

Post  bloodgold2 on Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:56 pm

Hi Szabie, used to larger sluices on hi volume gold plants.But at the end of the day the same rules apply, even flow without to much pressure as it only pushes the gold closer towards the tailings pile Smile Mate without looking at the actual water flow you already have it is hard to say, but yeah length of pipe would be my suggestion.
ps, mate I would also recommend that you put in a valve to regulate your water flow out of the spray bars. Hope this helps.

Last edited by bloodgold2 on Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
bloodgold2
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2017-04-02

Back to top Go down

Re: Spraybars for sluice

Post  goldtalkleonora on Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:03 pm

my 2 cents worth is to chuck a ball/gate valve on that circuit to control flow rate. Controlling as many variables as poss is what it's all about.
goldtalkleonora
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 166
Registration date : 2015-06-01

http://www.goldtalkleonora.com.au

Back to top Go down

-spraybars-for-sluice

Post  bloodgold2 on Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:08 pm

goldtalkleonora wrote:my 2 cents worth is to chuck a ball/gate valve on that circuit to control flow rate. Controlling as many variables as poss is what it's all about.

Lol bro you beat me to it by a couple of seconds Smile
bloodgold2
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Back to top Go down

Spray bar

Post  Szabie on Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:34 pm

Thanks fellas yeah it will be controlled by a valve. was more wondering how to release the water from PVC pipe 5-10mm holes or slice along length of pipe. I suppose it doesn't really matter which way I go but just want to do it once and do it right

Szabie
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

-spraybars-for-sluice

Post  bloodgold2 on Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:43 pm

Szabie wrote:Thanks fellas yeah it will be controlled by a valve. was more wondering how to release the water from PVC pipe 5-10mm holes or slice along length of pipe. I suppose it doesn't really matter which way I go but just want to do it once and do it right

Like I have already said mate slits along the pipe will do the trick, they are easier to unblock with weed ect and will give a more even flow instead of pin pointing a certain high pressure area on your sluice mats.
bloodgold2
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Back to top Go down

Spraybars

Post  Szabie on Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:56 pm

Ok thanks heaps mate never would have thought of slits. just seen it on google as well cheers

Szabie
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  boobook on Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:22 pm

What are you lining the sluice with?
In dealing with fines (2nd. tier) we tried a combination of riffles/profiled rubber mats etc., finally settling on a length of coir matting, running the fines straight over it with a steady flow of water.
Holds all the gold from flour up. There can a bit of problem getting the gold out, easiest way is to dry then burn with a bit of diesel help.
Slope seemed quite critical, in our case around 1.5:30 worked well at a throughput rate of ~3-4yds./hr.
(on a 2 man plant, we reckoned there was a better margin in 90% of 25yd. than 60% of 50)
Mike

boobook
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 228
Registration date : 2011-09-12

Back to top Go down

Spraybar

Post  Szabie on Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:56 pm

Hi there I'm running the first half with miners moss and the second with a ribbed indoor outdoor carpet and underneath both I have a very fine ribbed rubber matting the idea behind that is to try and catch any sneaky bits that try to run out underneath ..on the top of all that i have expanded mesh ...yes I am new to this jig and still working out my flow rates and angles etc...the main reason I am building bigger sluice is to try and speed up production and this set up should do the trick

Szabie
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  boobook on Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:30 pm

Hi again.
Yes, things certainly change and when I think it was 40+ years ago we were sluicing improvisation was the great necessity!
Just looked at Miners Moss, wish that was around then......eh! Sounds like a plan.
I reckon that if you are capturing the flour gold, not much else is escaping. Took us a while (with some old timer help) to get our recovery to a decent level, the secret was in the flour stuff.
Wish I could wind the clock back 40yrs., would be right back in it!
Cheers. Mike

boobook
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 228
Registration date : 2011-09-12

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top