moderators do we need them?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

moderators do we need them?

Post  Aussie Jason on Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:57 am

What ever happened to freedom of speech?
Whether it's a positive remark about a detector or coil, or a negative remark, let it be said..
Seems like every thread on the forum has been interrupted by a moderator.
If the moderator has to interfere with a thread because he or she doesn't like what they have read, then send a PM to the sender, no need to post it for all to see.
Moderators should sit behind the scene and moderate. If a threat is made then intervene. (No need to post a remark on every thread)
You can't do both.
Maybe we need a forum for Moderators only.
Then they can talk between themselves and have a war with rules between themselves.
We are all adults here, but most times it feels like we are sitting in a grade 4 classroom with a pissed off teacher.

Aussie Jason
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2013-06-12

Back to top Go down

Re: moderators do we need them?

Post  rc62burke on Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:27 am

The simple answer is YES we need them!

Moderators are members just like you or I & have experience or opinions on things just like the rest of us & they are free to express these in any thread just like you are.
Things get off track at times & they bring it back & I think they do a pretty good job, I don't always agree with them but that is my right too.

It's a bit of a funny question you pose?? Look at it like this - we should all be able to live our lives within the rules/laws of the land & therefore by your logic we should have no requirement for a police force hmmmm I know how that would work out!!!!!Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes No No No No Suspect Suspect Suspect affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid

Oh BTW contributions by the MOD squad keep the discussion moving Wink Wink Rolling Eyes
rc62burke
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2048
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Jason on Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:33 am

That's a fair enough comment Lee,
Just think they over do it sometimes.

Aussie Jason
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  rc62burke on Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:46 am

Aussie Jason wrote:That's a fair enough comment Lee,
Just think they over do it sometimes.

I agree,
But we don't know what goes on behind the scenes via PM with complaints etc
rc62burke
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2048
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Dig24crt on Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:32 pm

Hi Jason
Unfortunately we do need them.This is not the real world.In the real world there is no computer to hide behind.Things are said online that would never be said face to face.Moderators are here to ensure that conduct is like the real world.
Cheers Dig
Dig24crt
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 865
Registration date : 2008-10-29

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar on Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:58 pm

Aussie Jason wrote:

They already have one Jason.T04
Surely you have seen what happens on other forums, one especially springs to mind, where a moderator steps in and all the parrots sit on his shoulder start squarking uncontrolled abuse.
This is with out doubt the forum to follow and comment.

Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1965
Registration date : 2008-10-25

http://s4.zetaboards.com/Gold_Detecting/index/

Back to top Go down

Post  au-fever on Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:40 pm

Aussie Jason wrote:What ever happened to freedom of speech?
Whether it's a positive remark about a detector or coil, or a negative remark, let it be said..
Seems like every thread on the forum has been interrupted by a moderator.
If the moderator has to interfere with a thread because he or she doesn't like what they have read, then send a PM to the sender, no need to post it for all to see.
Moderators should sit behind the scene and moderate. If a threat is made then intervene. (No need to post a remark on every thread)
You can't do both.
Then they can talk between themselves and have a war with rules between themselves.
We are all adults here, but most times it feels like we are sitting in a grade 4 classroom with a pissed off teacher.

Have been on both sides of the fence, both as a moderator and as a member on forums and I can tell you one thing for sure while most of us really are adults there are people who unfortunately don't know how to behave like adults and have to be reined in by the moderators, remembering that forums are about expressing your opinions and ideas, but if your comments are offensive to other members or a little too controversial and liable to incite a further argument then its for the good of all members and the duty of the moderator to step in and put the discussion back on track, well done mods cheers

au-fever

au-fever
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 89
Registration date : 2016-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 on Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:27 pm

Jason, I know we're far from perfect, for who here is perfect?   Freedom of speech, has all-way's been allowed on here & as long as it does not contravene, the one simple rule of, "Respect for one another", there would be no reason, for any moderator to step in & or have to modify, or delete another's write up.
One thing I want to mention here, is that no man is, their brothers keeper. No man is responsible for another mans words or actions. There are times when we say the right thing & all goes good & at other times, the things we say, don't come out so right & all that follows goes bad. Such is life. All of us here, whether members or mods, are entitled to make mistakes, for its all part of being human. It is through ones mistakes, that either bring the best, or worst, out of each & every one of us.
Let it be said, that mistakes, are a part, of a persons every day life, but the greatest of persons, are the ones who go out of their way, to correct them.

Cheers Kon. Q11
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 5000
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Grandfather Johnson on Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:21 pm

Very nicely said Kon, Cheers

Grandfather Johnson
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2009-06-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Jason on Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:04 am

Thank you for your replies, all points made above are valid.
I have been on this forum for a few years now, it's the only gold forum I use.
I don't post things all that often, however I enjoy reading other posts and replies to their posts.

I REALLY MISS JEN AND MIKES POSTS. Very interesting stories and very honest opinions.

Yes, we do need Moderators, and I guess there is a fine line between saying too much, and saying too little.
Personally I feel less is best sometimes.

Aussie Jason
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  GemQ on Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:24 am

Jason,

I'll give you a perfect reason why we need moderators. I was a moderator on another detecting forum and a member felt that he was being victimised to the point that he said he was going to do himself in. I was up to 3 am in the morning following up with the police and his close friends to ensure the situation was stabilised. Mods represent all people and all people are different, that's why they will typically err on the side of caution when posts get out of hand.

Very selfless job and well done to our team. Q38
GemQ
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 398
Registration date : 2012-12-24

https://www.youtube.com/user/GemQ1?feature=mhum

Back to top Go down

Post  WF2.0 on Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:35 am

The forum seems to have slowed down alot lately. Alot of the major contributers are not posting as frequently and many have also left all together.

In my time here there has always been a small crew who posted most of the content. At one stage i even had 5% of the total posts. I only had a couple thousand posts and an average of one per day or similar and had one in every 20 posts. Some of those posts were imploring others on here to simply chime in and add to the forum. When you look at the numbers of people viewing the forum one wonders why they dont just get involved a bit and say g'day.

I was active on Dan Carlin history forum which was one devoted to virtually no moderation at all. You would have to threaten to kill someone before a post would be removed. Mostly it was a great forum and had posts that went into hundreds of pages. The forum was eventually shut down by Dan Carlin as i think it ended up being an embarrassing endeavour highjacked by a hardcore group of vocal far right people. The forum is now at martin hash.com

Re. the moderation question here, i guess its difficult to really make an accurate decision as most of us dont have all the information about what goes on in the background and what complaints are made by members. I know it can be annoying when threads are locked and posts deleted or modded. Id be one to say less moderation is best...

To all those who simply never make or contribute to the conversation but rather simply read posts perhaps think about adding your voice to the topics you enjoy. A post a week will get things rolling nicely hey. Otherwise the forum wont be a vibrant place. Certainly dont be shy...

WF2.0
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2016-07-14

Back to top Go down

Post  goldchaser on Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:58 am

Lots of good comments here,yes we need moderators,we can all be gooses on the odd occasion,well i know i can.
WF2's last paragraph has alot of merit,dont sit back get involved,we can all be guilty of this a bit also.....
goldchaser
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1241
Registration date : 2009-03-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Grandfather Johnson on Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:09 pm

Yes Aussie Jason I miss mike & Jen also, Jen had a way of telling someone getting out of hand to pull his head in without putting him off side. I thought she had the voice of reason. G'day Mike & Jen. Cheers Bruce

Grandfather Johnson
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2009-06-10

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 on Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:17 pm

You aren't the only ones missing Jen & Mike gents. I do not have an answer as to why people say, the things they say, or do to one another.
Life is supposed to be a game of give a little, take a little. As was said, there are far more important things to consider in life, than trying to degrade one another's comments/opinions, on an open forum. Yes, sometimes it is better to say less, putting an end to a long running dispute, rather than having it continue, like a dripping tap. (Not healthy for anyone fellas).

Cheers Kon. Q11

kon61
Management

Number of posts : 5000
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Sharkbait on Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:13 pm

I noticed KiwiJW has been AWOL lately too Crying or Very sad which is a shame..i always enjoyed reading his NZ travelogue Razz

I would post more than I do,but don't wanna risk putting the members to sleep lol!
Sharkbait
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 721
Registration date : 2013-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post  someday on Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:42 pm

Mike and Jen left Question

as for mods, some can be good while some are just not worth the effort trying to defend.
Oh moderators on a internet forum, well thats a different story, good work guys...n... gals...maybe less gals...G'day Jen and Mike
someday
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1581
Registration date : 2012-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Peteren on Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:03 pm

someday wrote:Mike and Jen left Question

Left????
If so not good!
Need to determine how to get good people back to this forum not leaving it!
Peteren
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2010-10-12

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top