Tibooburra Common Trust now charging $15 a day to detect on the Common?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Tibooburra Common Trust now charging $15 a day to detect on the Common?

Post  Tributer on Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:51 am

There are posts on the True Blue Prospecting facebook group that show the notice below. Apparently the Trust has introduced a $15 per detector per day charge to detect on the Common. If its true then I am sure that many of the prospectors who stay in town, detect the Common, and spend substantial dollars in the town are now likely to give the place a miss or shorten their stay.

NAPFA is happy to make representations if required, however more information about the situation at the Common is required.
If any members have insight or definitive information on the issue could you please email/contact NAPFA or post up your info.
cheers Tributer

Tributer
Management

Number of posts : 984
Registration date : 2008-10-27

Back to top Go down

Re: Tibooburra Common Trust now charging $15 a day to detect on the Common?

Post  davsgold on Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:48 am

I wonder who the economic genius is that thought this out, if you deter people from coming not only will they not get the $15/day to detect which is $105/week they will also loose the fees for the caravan park for the week which is more then the detecting fee.

As it is there is no camping on the common which makes you have to use the van park, which is fair enough, but this new fee is just over the top.
Also I wonder why it is just detector people that have been singled out, a bit discriminatory, other groups also use the common, bike riders, joggers, walkers etc, I guess the detector group of people are seen as an easy target and a captive market.

I agree with Tributer that NAPFA should get involved, NAPFA is having some good success in getting fossicking districts back up and running, and one can only hope the Tibooburra area will be included one day as a designated fossicking district.

cheers dave
davsgold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 5335
Registration date : 2008-10-25

Back to top Go down

Post  davsgold on Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:44 pm

I moved this topic from the NAPFA section for the time being to the general discussion area, hope plenty read it and comment as it is important and will affect quite a few it it gets approved.

cheers dave
davsgold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  ozgold 041 on Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:21 pm

davsgold wrote:I wonder who the economic genius is that thought this out, if you deter people from coming not only will they not get the $15/day to detect which is $105/week they will also loose the fees for the caravan park for the week which is more then the detecting fee.

As it is there is no camping on the common which makes you have to use the van park, which is fair enough, but this new fee is just over the top.
Also I wonder why it is just detector people that have been singled out, a bit discriminatory, other groups also use the common, bike riders, joggers, walkers etc, I guess the detector group of people are seen as an easy target and a captive market.

I agree with Tributer that NAPFA should get involved, NAPFA is having some good success in getting fossicking districts back up and running, and one can only hope the Tibooburra area will be included one day as a designated fossicking district.

cheers dave
================================================================
Thanks Dave.

That is a ridiculous approach from the ones in charge of this area, do they want the tourist dollars, or to just become a ghost town!!

I also have heard that you can't get on the station country now, as they have had a number of Exploration Leases approved that cover a vast area. So now you have got Buckley's chance there as well. Damn long way to go to chase Fly Poop, with these new rules.

Dave didn't you once play for North Melbourne??

Cheers ozgold.

ozgold 041
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2013-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post  davsgold on Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:04 pm

ozgold 041 wrote:
Dave didn't you once play for North Melbourne??

Cheers ozgold.

Hey ozgold, that was my cousin, same name, Very Happy

And yes I don't know how many of the pastoral leases you can pay to detect on now days, the last time we were out that way you could still pay to detect on Mt Stuart, and the common was good for the small stuff and some fun.

cheers dave
davsgold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  granite2 on Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:22 pm

I won't be paying any $15 a day to detect the common. Because of this decision the pubs will lose money as will the roadhouse and the caravan park. Why? Because after 25 years of visiting and promoting the place we won't be back until the $15 fee is rescinded.

The town is going to suffer a great deal because of this silly damned decision by someone who hasn't got a clue as to how much money prospectors spend in the town.

Goodby Tibooburra,

Jim Foster
granite2
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1517
Registration date : 2009-10-12

Back to top Go down

Post  kevlorraine2 on Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:43 pm

i will second that jim. been there twice but wont be makeing any third trip.

you can multiply your and my thinking by a couple of hundred at least, and that spells bad news for - what was that place again? Evil or Very Mad

kevlorraine2
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 467
Registration date : 2008-10-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Tributer on Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:50 pm

There are over 6000 western lands leases in NSW. While they are bought and sold like freehold land they are leases. I believe some of them are of marginal grazing value.  Although a little off topic....in an ideal world a few of the leases could be set aside for prospecting on a pay per day basis, with prospector caretakers onsite  during the main prospecting season. Tibooburra and the region could embrace prospecting and I believe it would benefit the region for decades to come. Prospecting will become more popular and prospecting could be the answer to the problem of ensuring sustainable land use in the area......the key reason why Lands manages the western lease lands.  

The western leases are set up to try protect the fragile environments of the area from being overgrazed and farmed to death. Prospecting tourism could be the answer for sustainable land management while providing recreation for lots of people, some money for land management and real economic benefits to the struggling towns/businesses in the area.   I think that the scheme could be trialled by the Department of Industry- lands on a couple of the struggling leases that have gold.

I am probably being totally naïve about the whole situation, but I would think some of the big properties would be a great investment for prospecting/outback camping tourism over the next 50 years.  Tributer

PS Link to a summary overview of the new Crown land Management Bill October 2016...that generally says that western lands management will look to facilitate more recreation and fossicking opportunities.

http://www.crownland.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0010/680986/Fact-sheet-Crown-Land-Management-Bill-2016-Facilitating-a-sustainable-and-prosperous-Western-Division.PDF . Now is a good time to make our aspirations on fossicking in western NSW be heard!
Tributer
Management

Back to top Go down

Trust now charging $15 a day to detect on the Common?

Post  philip.j.thompson on Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:46 pm

Pity we had planned finally to get out there this year, Oh well having relocated to northern NSW will detect around here and QLD, save wear and tear on the vehicle when no longer considering diverting there on way to Adelaide
regards Phil we are both NAPFA members

philip.j.thompson
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 682
Registration date : 2012-07-24

Back to top Go down

Post  davsgold on Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:04 pm

Hey Tributer, it's not such a bad idea, NAPFA might have to have a big fund raiser though for this to work. Laughing

cheers dave
davsgold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  goldtalkleonora on Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:14 am

EXCELLENT NEWS......go for a bit of a drive and come over to Leonora.....plenty of places to swing and maybe find a bit of gold. You'll be welcome over here!! Vote with your feet and give Tib the flik!!
goldtalkleonora
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 138
Registration date : 2015-06-01

http://www.goldtalkleonora.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar on Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:27 am

Back in the 80's Ross Atkins took up a huge percentage of ground around Meekatharra and had a hard and fast ruling (NO CAMPING/DETECTING)
It almost killed the town with prospector turning away in droves.
The council tried to reason with him without success.
He seemed to enjoy his power play, circling low above prospectors in his helicopter stirring up clouds of dust, even landing and confiscating items (generators etc) and leaving a note for the owners that they can pick up their gear at the police station as they leave.
(I think there was a post on here years ago when we were MSN about a overseas tourist who called into the office seeking permission to detect. He was finally pointed in the direction of what they believed was completely barren ground. To the tourists delight he unearthed a whopper and returned to the office in great excitement. They took his nugget claiming they wanted to do some tests on it and that would contact him when he could collect it. The low side is he eventually returned to the US minus his once in a lifetime find.)

Fortunately he got his dues, the St Barbara board voted "no confidence" and he was ousted from his own company, later bankrupt and losing his Mosman Park mansion.

Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1979

http://s4.zetaboards.com/Gold_Detecting/index/

Back to top Go down

Pensioner, detector,panner..Couple.

Post  hoadlies on Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:43 am

HI ALL , Well I have been to TIBOOBURRA now 4x times spending plenty of money in the town ,fuel,food,caravan park etc,as i live in SA its a long trip .& costly fuel wise ..
I Can hardly afford to go There but we like the place ,never really found any value in gold as its only very very small bits to be found there..

MIGHT as well go to the VIC gold fields instead better weather [cooler] cheaper supplies etc..

I FEEL that the businesses there will react to this action by the Town-Common-group...to charge this proposed $15.00 per day way over the top & should maybe have donation boxes in the pubs & stores ,for prospectors to make donations to the COMMON..for its upkeep??????.
Maybe the one's that profit by prospectors ie pubs,stores, caravan park,etc to donate as well..
The prospectors are only a part of the trade there as there are very many travelers heading further Up & back that also spend money in the town who may stay overnight & then move on I think the detector;ists are the stayers for longer periods ..

WELL we were coming in May but Maybe not now unless there is a change ..
CHEERS BARRY..
hoadlies
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2016-02-13

Back to top Go down

I agree with you

Post  hoadlies on Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:59 am

Tributer wrote:There are over 6000 western lands leases in NSW. While they are bought and sold like freehold land they are leases. I believe some of them are of marginal grazing value.  Although a little off topic....in an ideal world a few of the leases could be set aside for prospecting on a pay per day basis, with prospector caretakers onsite  during the main prospecting season. Tibooburra and the region could embrace prospecting and I believe it would benefit the region for decades to come. Prospecting will become more popular and prospecting could be the answer to the problem of ensuring sustainable land use in the area......the key reason why Lands manages the western lease lands.  

The western leases are set up to try protect the fragile environments of the area from being overgrazed and farmed to death. Prospecting tourism could be the answer for sustainable land management while providing recreation for lots of people, some money for land management and real economic benefits to the struggling towns/businesses in the area.   I think that the scheme could be trialled by the Department of Industry- lands on a couple of the struggling leases that have gold.

I am probably being totally naïve about the whole situation, but I would think some of the big properties would be a great investment for prospecting/outback camping tourism over the next 50 years.  Tributer

PS Link to a summary overview of the new Crown land Management Bill October 2016...that generally says that western lands management will look to facilitate more recreation and fossicking opportunities.

http://www.crownland.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0010/680986/Fact-sheet-Crown-Land-Management-Bill-2016-Facilitating-a-sustainable-and-prosperous-Western-Division.PDF . Now is a good time to make our aspirations on fossicking in western NSW be heard!

A great post that I feel has merit Goodonya ..
BARRY in SA
hoadlies
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2016-02-13

Back to top Go down

Post  AnnieL on Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:11 pm

Just spent some time looking up Town Commons in NSW to see if the Trust has the 'right' to charge a fee, as it is Crown Land, and it would appear they do (amongst other things) but one would also need to read the Constitution of the Trust for full powers.
This is worth a read - http://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/#/view/act/1989/13/part2/div2/sec9

AnnieL
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 887
Registration date : 2012-05-07

Back to top Go down

Post  davsgold on Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:09 am

Not sure but I think they are deleting all the posts on there facebook about this, I posted the other day and there were other similar posts about this as well, I can't see any now. Shocked

cheers dave
davsgold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  NAPFA on Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:33 pm

NAPFA has sent a letter to the relevant area of Crown Lands that oversees decisions by Commons. We have asked them to look into the decision urgently as people were planning winter fossicking trips. We said that such a fee would be very detrimental to the local Tibooburra economy if lots of fossickers no longer choose to visit the area, as many stated would be the case.

Some NAPFA members fossicking there now were able to give us a detailed run-down, which informed our letter to the Crown Lands office. Thanks XXX! There has also been communications from other people in the town. Let's see what happens. This is by no means a done deal.

Stephen
President.
NAPFA
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2014-02-15

http://www.napfa.net

Back to top Go down

Paying for use of the common

Post  Jungle on Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:55 pm

I suggest a BLACK BAN on the town by all prospectors visiting the area until the levy is dropped. This would be the only way to show we disapprove of being ripped off.

GS
Jungle
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2013-10-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:32 am

Hi all, I just got back from there last night. I was detecting on the common day befor yesterday and was not aware that there was any fee to be payed. I knew there was an attempt to do it but I was told by a shop owner that it was unlikley to go ahead and that the committe could not even decide who had put the idea forward last year for a vote. So I'd say it is dead and burried. cheers cheers cheers
P.S. the wife and I got 5 grames each in 5 days. We usually seem to get on average a gram a day 10 grams in all. Although they seem a bit smaller overall. Still a loverly place to go. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  davsgold on Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:39 am

Thanks for the report Sparrowfart, and it's good to hear they reckon the proposed fee for detecting the common is "unlikley to go ahead and that the committe could not even decide who had put the idea forward last year for a vote."

Also good that you got some gold for your efforts out there, even if it is getting smaller. Very Happy and I reckon your right about the general area out that way being a great place to get away for a break. Very Happy

cheers dave
davsgold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:48 pm

Thanks Dave, see you out there one day. Basketball

Back to top Go down

Tibooburra common

Post  joensue on Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:54 pm

I think this is just the start of things to come . Just cut short my trip by 2 weeks in Clermont due to areas being closed down  for maintenance????, you have to pay extra to enter the GPA's to detect in the state forest. which only seems to exist in Clermont. This is a local council orientated  fee . And is said to go to the maintenance of the said areas (what a crock)  . We were to continue north  BUT as  in QLD were can you go without putting your hand in your pocket to pay to detect. As previously mentioned prospectors like ourselves who travel six months of the year away from home spend a considerable amount in these more remote places.  we are on our yearly trip to WA (the only place that welcomes  PROSPECTORS . On our return trip  to   QLD we were visiting  TIBI but if this extra fee is still current we  will be giving another place a miss  Its a pity that we seem to be treated this way but as they money talks affraid affraid JOE

joensue
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2012-05-31

Back to top Go down

Post  Imadogman on Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:56 pm

Joensue,

I reckon Qld needs to get organised.  There is now PMAV (Victoria) , APLA (WA), NAPFA (NSW), PANDIANT (NT), PMAT (Tassie).
Where is Queensland?  Come-on Maroons! cheers
Imadogman
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 374
Registration date : 2011-04-27

Back to top Go down

Post  goldtalkleonora on Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:12 am

Hi Joensue, You are right. This is the way things will go. At some point over here in the West you will have areas that you are allowed to beep and that will be that. But who's to blame? Enviro's...yes....but who gives them ammo...us. This is a guess, but it's a good guess.....the majority of tourists in the caravan park in Leonora are prospecting illegally. They go where they like, have little regard for the law and are in fact gold thieves. I am sure that most of them are nice people outside of chasing metal...I know some of them.....good blokes....but they are still thieves and their mental gymnastics allow them to steal with no regard. Strong words??? yes....but that is what is going on all over the state. So....as a professional prospector I will fight for our rights to continue working.....I want tourists to be able to continue beeping because a small part of our business is in training them but more importantly it's important that generations to come can get out here and 'have a go'. However, as hobby detectorists do 'you' deserve to have a WA Miners Right?? In many cases I would say no. It's 'you' selfish rascals that are over here (eastern staters and locals alike) prospecting illegally and buggering it up for yourselves AND for generations to come.
goldtalkleonora
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Tributer on Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:16 am

It is true Goldtalkleonora many people just head out detecting with no 40 E's or even a miners right inn WA. I had a 40e on an EL that happened to be owned by the person who also had a small ML in the middle of the EL. (good way to insulate a ML)  The caretakers that were on site turned away over a dozen groups who turned up with no 40E and set up on the EL. Lots of cursing and yelling happened as they were told to pack up their vans and move off.

There are lots of older prospectors who just don't use a computer much and don't know how easy it is to organise a 40E. Its no excuse, but they are not content with getting a miners right and sticking to blue ground.

The tenement landscape in WA is getting busier by the year and the DMP officers are out a lot more checking prospectors who they happen on while they are checking on the numerous mine/drill sites.

I don't have an answer, maybe have more discussion on the caravan and prospecting forums.  

If you do not know how to gain permits, grab a friend who knows tengraph, do a course or spend a couple nights over a few weeks on the computer and  do the tutorials in the off season and you will work it out and be able to prospect in places legally. Not sure where you will end up prospecting...take out a 40E when you are over there wait 21 days and get the paperwork delivered to the local PO.
Just heading off may have worked 10 years ago, but not now. Protect our hobby and get your permits....find 1/2 a gram and it will cover your permit cost.
Tributer
Tributer
Management

Back to top Go down

Post  goldtalkleonora on Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:42 am

Hi Tributer, Thanks for the support....I actually expected a different reaction. I would go further to say that the majority of these gold thieves know exactly what they are doing and what the rules are...they just don't care. I will call out pastoralists that are wally's...but I'll also call out prospectors that are as well.
goldtalkleonora
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  granite2 on Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:18 pm

I recently received this email from a Tibooburra resident who gave me permission to post it here less the names of those involved. It is heartening to know there are residents there who are fighting this thing along with us.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Jim,
Thank you for your email expressing your views on the present situation here in Tibooburra concerning the Common. Both my husband and I are in total agreeance and are fighting to keep the Common open for prospectors who as you say are not here to make a fortune but for the overall enjoyment of the area and its added attractions. This also includes the town and the interaction with the people who live here. My family dates back to the settlement of Tibooburra in the 1880’s and I as well as 5 of my siblings were born here so we have a lot of gold mining history in this town. My parents, grandparents and brother are buried in the cemetery here as well as Johns father and grandparents so we don’t want to see Tibooburra be destroyed because a few people have a personal problem with prospectors.
I have personally taken this up with the DPI in Dubbo as we have found that the new executive elected in in July last year have broken nearly every rule in the Common Book including most importantly naming the mover of the ridiculous motion of charging $15/detector/day. We were unfortunately not able to get to that meeting but we were given a copy of 3 sets of minutes for that day a General, an Annual General and lastly another General that the new Executive used to bring in these new rules!!! At this 3rd meeting it has ****** down as the mover but he swears he did not move the motion and is prepared to state that. He also received notice from the Common Committee directly after this meeting that he and his wife were no longer eligible to be members because he was leaving the town. He also was sure it was ****** who actually moved the motion but the newly elected Secretary ***** argued that it was a combination of ****** and ******* who had done so. This is just one item. I could go on about a lot more but we are waiting for the DPI to get back to us to sort all this whole debarcle out. We have asked the Chairperson (in writing) to call a special meeting but I have not received a reply and one of the Common Rangers spoke with him about it but he stated there was no need for a meeting because everything was legal and above board!!! So now we are back to the DPI to see if they can advise us.
Enough of my grizzles now Jim but if we have our way there will be no charge at all and the Common will remain as it has been but hopefully with some written rules and guidance for the prospectors.
I was completely unaware that there was lobbying to open some areas on National Parks until very recently as well so will take more of an interest in this as well.
Once again many thanks and hopefully everything will work out fine!!
Looking forward to hearing from you
Kind Regards, Mavis.

granite2
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1517
Registration date : 2009-10-12

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss on Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:31 am

Have never really understood why anybody would want to travel a bazillion miles to go detect at Tibooburra...There is nothing there and what gold there is, is not worth the effort of bending down and picking it up let alone the cost of a detector and camping gear food, water etc.

Doesn't have much going for it aye.
http://www.visitnsw.com/destinations/outback-nsw/corner-country-area/tibooburra/attractions

http://www.traveller.com.au/tibooburra-new-south-wales-travel-guide-and-things-to-do-12w0xs

http://www.smh.com.au/news/new-south-wales/tibooburra/2005/02/17/1108500199563.html

So what will this 15 dollars per day be spent on? aside from going straight into somebodies pocket??
When have you ever seen anybody out fixing something that cost Tibooburra money because of detectorists?
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1206
Registration date : 2015-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post  UNCLE BOB on Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:06 am

THE COUNCIL'S HAVE GONE MAD.
There's no need for an " Executive "
These new executive's earn a lot of money, between $250,000 - $500,000 a year plus thousands upon thousands of dollars travelling the world. What a joke.
This was on ACA last night.
One example, a junior in a council earning more than $100,000+ a year + perks.
Councils have gone mad, they don't care about the ratepayers, it's all about them and how much they can rip us off.

This is why Tibooburra wanted the $15 a day fee, to make these new clowns in the circus earn their position and make them look good, but that's what they are --- CLOWNS IN THE CIRCUS.
It's a disgrace...... V04
UNCLE BOB
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1316
Registration date : 2010-10-20

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss on Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:05 am

15 dollars per day per Detector??

Does that mean that if one person  arrives with 3 detectors that he/she has to pay 45 bucks per day.

The sigh should read "Detectorists" not detectors.......Or maybe it should read "Tourists". The bright sparks who created that sign are clearly not too bright and just want to  make a quid.

Either way Tibooburra is no longer on my go to list.
But if ya do go and have not been there previously, this might help you decide where to detect for gold.

http://crcleme.org.au/Pubs/guides/thomson/thomson_field_guide.pdf
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1206
Registration date : 2015-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top