Tibooburra Common Trust now charging $15 a day to detect on the Common?

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Tibooburra Common Trust now charging $15 a day to detect on the Common?

Post  granite2 on Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:03 am

Tibooburra is a unique place in Australia. We have travelled widely in every state and territory and seen nothing like it anywhere. It is desert country and more dramatic during a drought than a good year but impressive at any time. Tibooburra is our favourite place on the planet not matter how many times we visit we are always restored by the desert air and ambience. The air is so clear you can see 40km from almost any rise or hill and the peace and silence is deafening.

Sure the gold is small but with something like a SDC2300 you can find up to 60 bits in a day. The people are friendly the services are there and the food and fuel isn't that expensive for such a remote location.. You can stay at the caravan park for $20 a day if you are staying a week or more and about $24 for a single night.

I am always reminded that when it comes to deserts "Gold is the thing of least value to be found in a desert."

We will always return to Tibooburra to find (a little bit) of gold and to sooth our souls.

Detecting anywhere else but Victoria or Tibooburra has too many rules and regulations, all designed to stymie the hobby detectorist. There still many of us who search for gold but don't expect to make a living, simply enjoy living.

Cheers, Jim
granite2
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1521
Registration date : 2009-10-12

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss on Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:43 am

So why single out metal detector operators??
Most people have more than one detector with them. I usually take at least three with me. 
Not many detectorists  stay in Tiboorburra each year and so the 15 bucks per day per tecta won't add up to much for the town in a year but it will be a problem for the fossicker/detectorist and likely enough to cause them to find gold somewhere else.
Sort of like closing down coal mining. It will put a lot of people out of work, raise the cost of electricity and gas production  and make life miserable for many people for almost zero measurable improvement in the air pollution levels.
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1221
Registration date : 2015-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post  UNCLE BOB on Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:36 am

UNCLE BOB wrote:THE COUNCIL'S HAVE GONE MAD.
There's no need for an " Executive "
These new executive's earn a lot of money, between $250,000 - $500,000 a year plus thousands upon thousands of dollars travelling the world. What a joke.
This was on ACA last night.
One example,  a junior in a council earning more than $100,000+ a year + perks.
Councils have gone mad,  they don't care about the ratepayers, it's all about them and how much they can rip us off.

This is why Tibooburra wanted the $15 a day fee,  to make these new clowns in the circus earn their position and make them look good, but that's what they are --- CLOWNS IN THE CIRCUS.
It's a disgrace...... V04

Adrian,
This is why I'm my above post.
The council's are to blame for so much crazy crap these days
UNCLE BOB
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1320
Registration date : 2010-10-20

Back to top Go down

Post  granite2 on Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:27 am

You are barking up the wrong mulga tree about the council. It isn't the council but the Tibooburra Common Comittee. And if you'd spent any time in Tib you'd know that more prospectors than any other folk visit Tib.. Not only that many stay for months at a time and spend quite a bit of money there. If prospectors stopped coming to Tib then most business' in town will feel the pinch.

But gold is not all they visit for. Sure it is nice to find a few ouncers or better but flyshit is a lot of fun to find and it sure does add up when you are finding an average of around 20 bits a day.

But if you have a couple, both detecting it will cost you $30 a dayto detect the Common plus $20 a day for the caravan park plus whatever costs you may have. You can camp and detect out at Gumvale Gorge for $10 a day.

Not everyone does detecting for a iving. Most of us simply pursure it as a hobby that gets us out in the bush and away from town. Whiledetecting you tune out all your worries and really relax.

I saw on that Other forum about how they look down on those of us who don't prospect for a living but I wouldn't want to try that as it takes all the fun out of it.

Cheers, Jim
granite2
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  granite2 on Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:29 am

Uncle Bob, it's the fault of the ratepayer for letting them get away with it.

Jim.
granite2
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Tributer on Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:43 pm

Tibooburra is a small town and is actually not part of any local government area. My understanding is there is no council (LGA) and the town has a town committee/group. A while ago only one person was on the town committee...no one else stood.

The enormous Sturt National Park surrounds the town to the east and north and north west. I believe that allowing fossicking in the small part of huge Sturt National Park that is within a few (say 10) kilometres of the town that includes the gold bearing areas it would go along way to ensuring Tibooburra has a decent amount of gold tourism dollars coming in to the region and the town will not shrink into oblivion. National parks/The Government should consider their regional role/obligation in providing economic benefits to the region and allow fossicking. Sturt Park will attract a few visitors but most just quickly pass through. Allowing fossicking will give a real boost to the town.

PS If Lands can negotiate with some of the big leaseholders to allow prospecting it would also help the region. Lands could even take back some of the lease land that has proven that it can not be sustainably stocked and turn them into prospecting areas it would also help the region and the fragile vegetation/soils of the area. Prospectors could plant saltbush or the other native species the stock have eaten totally out and the landscape can be regenerated. Preservation of the fragile environment of the region is the reason why the land is managed as western lease lands.

rant finished...Tributer
Tributer
Management

Number of posts : 990
Registration date : 2008-10-27

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss on Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:24 am

The Burra doesn't rate much of a mention here as far as tourism is conserned.

http://rdafarwestnsw.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Final-Report-Review-and-Recommendation-of-Governance-for-Tourism-in-Far-West-NSW.pdf

Or here.
http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/resources/parks/pomfinalsturt.pdf.

Or anywhere for that matter.
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Tributer on Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:44 am

That's right Adrian, the white paper and new land management legislation for the western leases seek to address the lack of tourism through enhancing fossicking and tourism opportunities to try boost the economic benefit to regions like Tibooburra.

From white paper...now backed by legislation giving minister powers to set landuse and allowing certain activities on lease land without explicit ministerial approval......
"Proposed framework to deal with this issue
• To provide greater flexibility for land management and greater opportunities for economic development in the Western Division, certain activities will be permitted on leased land without requiring the Minister’s approval.
• Additional activities are anticipated to include conservation, tourism and farm tourism, feedlots, aquaculture, sporting and leisure events, recreation, military exercises, animal breeding, running a dog kennel or cattery, film making, fishing, fossicking and small to medium scale renewable energy generation."

All the above are just words, NAPFA and prospectors will need to make their voice heard again and again for any changes to occur.
Tributer
Management

Number of posts : 990
Registration date : 2008-10-27

Back to top Go down

Post  djon on Mon May 01, 2017 7:26 am

I was up there 7-9th of April, and that sign had just been made apparently. The woman at the roadhouse showed it to me, probably the same woman @Sparrowfart spoke to. She said it wasn't enforceable as it currently stood, and was unlikely to go any further, but that she was actively fighting to make sure it didn't go anywhere. She said there was only a handful of people in the region that wanted the fee introduced, and they didn't stand to lose anything due to it's introduction. I was up there with family, and only got a few hours out on the common, so certainly wouldn't have made sense to do that for $15/day, and almost certainly would have meant we skipped through there a bit quicker.
djon
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2017-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss on Tue May 02, 2017 12:35 am

Not a lot involved in land management out Tibooburra way. It kind of looks after itself.
I guess those in charge would just have to look out the window each day and say. Yep she's still there all is good   Laughing

If the (very few locals, maybe 200 or so) wanted to attract more people to the Burra including fossickers and detector swingers then adding fees and charges   to stroll around the Common is likely not the way to go. Of course if something visible/tangible is provided for those fees and charges then that would  probably be acceptable for most visitors.
Not a lot of tourists  go there now as it is, along with a small and unique  group of gold chasers. Adding random fees and charges to their costs is going to be a deal breaker.

On the other hand. If you want to attract more visitors to the Burra then the town will have to provide the attraction and that usually costs money that has to come from somewhere. If the Gov won't hand out some cash then there is not a lot of other places to get it from and so, User pays.

This particular fee is directed at metal detector operators. What will it provide them with that is not already there?
The gold, rocks, sun, stars and sky is all they require and those have been there since time began, so no cost to the town there.
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  davsgold on Tue May 02, 2017 2:04 am

It's a bit like if some of the councils started charging a fee for beach detectors to detect on the beaches, but it's ok for the swimmers and surfers not to pay, I think there would be an uproar.

cheers dave
davsgold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 5353
Registration date : 2008-10-25

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss on Tue May 02, 2017 1:15 pm

Councils do not own the beaches. They like to think that they do. We have ambulatory right to all Aussie beaches.
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

TIBOOBURRA COMMON

Post  joensue on Wed May 03, 2017 12:48 pm

Hi GOLDTALK      Strong words //  I hope you are not including us as rascal eastern staters who shouldn't have a miners right Shocked Shocked Shocked   Over the years we have come across many people from all states who have no regard for rules . You may remember us from a previous post you answered It was in regard to persons  muscling in on a find we were working .WE HAD A 40E ON IT.   AFTER CONTACTING MINES DEPT FOUND OUT THEY DIDN'T ,I WONT MENTION WHAT STATE THEY WERE FROM. We have moved on since then.  We still love detecting in WA And hope to for many years to come  cheers JOE Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

joensue
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2012-05-30

Back to top Go down

Post  goldtalkleonora on Thu May 04, 2017 8:41 am

Hi Joe,

"It's 'you' selfish rascals that are over here (eastern staters and locals alike) prospecting illegally and buggering it up for yourselves AND for generations to come."

Eastern staters AND locals....I don't ever go down the 'eastern staters are taking my gold" line....we are all AUstralians...in fact every man woman and child on the face of planet earth either IS Australian or WANT"S to be Australian.

I back up what I say 100%....Many of the people prospecting go where they like...and yes...if they are prospecting illegally and finding gold then they are thieves..end of. They will come out with the "I'm only finding a few little bit's a day" routine...but they are thieves. The best thing that could happen in WA is that the Mines Dept (DMP) get off their backsides and prosecute these wally's. After all, I lease ground from the state, it costs me a lot of money, does the state (as my landlord) not have an obligation to protect my interests?

I guess what really stumps me Joe is that the vast majority of WA is open for prospecting legally if you go about things the right way. There is absolutely no need to be a gold thief but people are lazy...perhaps arrogant...I don't know!!

But what can I do about it???....I have no rights to confront people in the bush unless they are on my ground. The DMP registrar here in town does not even have a 4wd vehicle....so there is no point reporting illegals to them....the local coppers have their hands full trying to stop drug nuts and drunks from killing each other and the DMP enforcement branch is a couple of blokes in Perth that openly admit that they have no powers.
The only thing I can do to make a small difference is teach people the right way to go about their prospecting....now my primary goal is to make money and have fun doing it but I also know that the info I give out is good and shows people the right way to find gold. This is not a self promotion thingy, but we can all do something to protect a fantastic hobby/job etc. For you guy's it may be as simple as joining APLA or disagreeing with the bloke at the camp kitchen who say's 'I go where I please".

Anyway...rant over.
goldtalkleonora
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2015-06-01

http://www.goldtalkleonora.com.au

Back to top Go down

TIBOOBURRA COMMON

Post  joensue on Thu May 04, 2017 12:27 pm

Hi goldtalk I take in your comments . All I will say is that I do the right thing . A few years back I payed to learn about tengraph and how to apply for 40e;s how to track my position so I know exactly where I am as regards tenements . a very usefull tool . I dont have to keep looking over my shoulder , and I sleep easy at night cheers cheers JOE

joensue
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2012-05-30

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top