Finding coin cache, GPZ 7000, or?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Finding coin cache, GPZ 7000, or?

Post  goldenstate77 on Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:57 am

Hey guys, I am looking for advice on finding a gold coin cache at an old cabin site. I've taken a 2-box up there, and a deep PI machine, but there is a LOT of junk around. Would a GPZ 7000 work for finding this? It is a sizable cache allegedly, milk jar full of gold.

goldenstate77
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2017-04-16

Back to top Go down

Re: Finding coin cache, GPZ 7000, or?

Post  GemQ on Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:27 am

I would use a CTX with a 17" coil - I will provide discrimination through the numerical response. A large gold coin cache should come in around 12:42. All iron will have high conductive and iron  numbers.
GemQ
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 416
Registration date : 2012-12-24

https://www.youtube.com/user/GemQ1?feature=mhum

Back to top Go down

Post  goldenstate77 on Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:02 pm

Thank you, sir. Now, as for the possibility of it being buried inside a metal box (allegedly it was in milk jars, but possible those milk jars are inside something else) what would that do as far as the signal goes? It would be a good chunk of gold, would the gold give back a gold signal even through the metal box? I have heard that the GPZ 7000 will even "see" gold behind hotrocks, if the CTX has similar capabilities, then we are in business. I appreciate your responses, might even earn yourself a gold coin or two in the mail, all goes well Wink

goldenstate77
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2017-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post  GemQ on Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:26 pm

goldenstate77 wrote:Thank you, sir. Now, as for the possibility of it being buried inside a metal box (allegedly it was in milk jars, but possible those milk jars are inside something else) what would that do as far as the signal goes? It would be a good chunk of gold, would the gold give back a gold signal even through the metal box? I have heard that the GPZ 7000 will even "see" gold behind hotrocks, if the CTX has similar capabilities, then we are in business. I appreciate your responses, might even earn yourself a gold coin or two in the mail, all goes well Wink

If they are milk jars it would still pick up the gold coins, depending how big the metal box was you could get an overload signal on the CTX.
GemQ
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 416
Registration date : 2012-12-24

https://www.youtube.com/user/GemQ1?feature=mhum

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss on Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:40 pm

Trouble is most hand held metal detectors that we use for gold and coin hunting will not respond well to a jar full of coins due to the poor conductivity between each coin.
    One of my tectas will signal strong on a single 20 cent coin at 20 cm and will signal equally strong on a 3 kg jar (No metal Lid) full of 20 cent and 10 cent coins at 38 cm. Not a huge increase in depth for a large increase in weight of coins. So if your cache of coins does not have a large metal lid or is not in a metal box then the tectas will likely not go much more than a a couple of feet deep (and give a strong signal) on the cache if you use a good qual PI or high end FBS machine with an 18 inch or larger coil.
     Also. As a relic or cache hunter, do not put a lot of trust in displayed TID info. Dig every signal that stirs your interest     
My two box TM 808 is very weak on jars of coin.
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1221
Registration date : 2015-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top