Is it much ado about nothing?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Is it much ado about nothing?

Post  Ringpull on Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:14 pm

There has been some talk recently about people raking forest litter to expedite easier detecting and then leaving the area without returning it to its original condition. This has created a discussion in most part tut tutting the culprits and calling them irresponsible and it being detrimental to our hobby.

Whilst I agree with the philosophy of leaving everything as you found it, or in some cases better than you found it, I do find it rather ironical that currently in the Golden Triangle I am witnessing some burn off in our forests, I assume by the CFA as a fire hazard reduction programme.

Now wouldn’t you think that this is rather incongruous in that we are expected not to disturb the forest litter and then to have it all burnt to oblivion anyway? I can see merit in not leaving a trace of where I’ve been and I can also see merit to the burn off. It just seems to me as being at odds with each other.

Zol
Ringpull
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2011-12-26

Back to top Go down

Re: Is it much ado about nothing?

Post  big fella on Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:58 pm

Gday. The burn hits the raked area. No more burn also we need the heat to activate seeds in raked area and then rain comes with erosion also habitat inter feared with. Go out at night and see all the eyes in the leave litter. And no I'm not a greenie. Hope all this helps.
Regards bigg fella
big fella
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 460
Registration date : 2011-06-15

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss on Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:30 pm

This might be of some interest.
http://www.nova.org.au/earth-environment/plant-germination
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1277
Registration date : 2015-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Nugget Head on Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:50 am

spot on Ringpull. The parkies have got no idea when it comes to land management mate.

These burns are "fuel reduction", not "Regen". So raking areas would assist in fuel reduction would they not?

Pouring diesel & petrol onto the bush would be causing more harm imho.

Natures rake, Rain, is doing most of it for us anyhow.

The best reason to cover up your raking is to hide your tracks Wink
Nugget Head
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2014-07-20

Back to top Go down

Leaf Litter.

Post  mungoman on Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:14 am

The purpose to leaf litter is mainly for the prevention of sheet erosion, it prevents weeds from growing, adds nutrients to the Organic level and creates habitat for all sorts of essential life, which in turn, feeds our smaller quadrupeds.

Leaf litter slows down evapotranspiration and helps keep subsoil moisture where it's needed.

Slow burns through winter add minerals like potassium and phosphorus from leaf litter, which triggers and promotes the growth of the acacia family, who fix nitrogen into the soil, and also helps promote some seed germination.

By raking leaf litter into windrows and leaving large areas of bare soil open, we're not doing yourselves any favours...plus it pisses people off who've got a lot of sway over what happens to bush legislation.

mungoman
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 258
Registration date : 2012-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss on Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:40 am

On the other hand, there is not much ongoing leaf litter out in many of our deserts, or fires or anything at all really but drop a bit of rain followed by warm sun light on the ground and the place comes to life like you wouldn't believe with grasses and flowers.
     It takes a fair bit of genetic and evolutionary planning to cause tree and other plant growth to respond to fire and smoke in such a way that fire and smoke play a major role in the survival of said plants. ........ Or maybe the plants are aware of their own surroundings and figured it out for themselves and adapted and will lay dormant in the ground when there is no leaf litter or ground coverage and will spring once again into life when the conditions are right........Like when some dh lights a fire and fries pretty much everything inc snakes, bugs and a wide range animals that don't re germinate in a hurry.
      I used to wonder why when out in the bush that I do not see much wildlife. I reckon it is because past fires have wiped most of them from the bush in certain regions..
      When the fires went through Canberra and the Brindabella's there was bugger all left alive other than seeds. Some emus that had hunkered down in the rocks survived but birds. Wallabies, Roos, koalas etc were just charred bones hanging on the trees and fences.

The vegetation in the Brindabella Nature Park has bounced back so well that a visitor would not know there had ever been a catastrophic fire pass through several years ago, but still there is not a lot of wild life in the area. compared to when I came here 36 years ago.

So yes fire helps some plant re growth but stiff chedder for the birds and other animals.
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Nugget Head on Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:14 pm

thanks for the lesson in nutrient cycling. Here's a comparative view.
The purpose of leaf litter is to add organic matter to the soil. Sheet erosion removes leaf litter, leaf litter doesn't prevent it.
Sheet erosion is caused by lack of vegetation, not lack of leaf litter.

The fact is Acacia seeds last a long time in the soil. Frequent burning can reduce the eucalypt seed bank and promote acacia only forests. ( typical in logging area's).
The Acacia seed requires scarifying to germinate.
Scarifying can be by fire or disturbance. eg a rake.
Cold burns in this environment are not natural. Burns that do not raise the canopy will not let sufficient light penetrate the canopy for regrowth. The lack of light is not what our natives prefer. However, the weeds love it.

It pisses people off yes, but that doesn't help save the environment unfortunately. The people it pisses off usually live where they have concreted over the leaf litter, but that's ok. Just don't rake it they say  Very Happy

Its a amazing how the modern world looks upon humans as an introduced species. Exclamation
Nugget Head
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2014-07-20

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss on Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:09 pm

Yeah I must admit that we have all been here as a species of one kind or another  for a hell of a lot longer than the span of any Dream Time.
Funny isn't it how after a billion years or so we still have people who think that breast feeding our young is not good and who can not cope with seeing a breast feeding bub in public.That attitude is just too odd for my tiny brain to cope with. Also that after so long we still, according to some strange so called educated, egg heads do not know what food is good for us and what is bad. 

We did not just pop into existence a few years ago Aye??

Funny how some so called non racist dark skined people seem to have the notion that white people have always been well fed and overindulged getting about in ships n trains n planes and sleeping in soft beds..Got news for ya. It is just a short time ago when we were wild and savage, wearing animal skins and chucking spears at each other and building monuments to the stars and moon a and stuff. Just a couple of hundred years ago in Australia we lived pretty rough, had almost zero possessions and were rough and tough. We are what we are today through hard work and a will to advance.

Hey I was watching a david A Bro Doco about chimps and one of the big males was so riled up his hair was standing on end. Guess what? under that hair I saw white skin.
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: