Mobile phone booster aerial

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Mobile phone booster aerial

Post  rc62burke on Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:54 pm

Hi All
This is a question for the more technical amongst us Wink .
The Mobile phone coverage has improved in the area's I frequent in the last 18 months, I use a standard Samsung S4 & get service in a few area's others I'm just on the edges of a mobile connection.
For safety's sake I would like to increase the area's where I can gain a connection, I believe this could be achieved in similar fashion to installing a car kit & aerial, is this assumption correct??????

I would like to put together a kit (like a car kit) that I could move from vehicle to Quad or Buggy or just set up at the camp, so it needs to be versatile !!! either self powered or to be connected to the battery of the vehicle quad or camp.

So any input on this issue would be welcomed, I'm all ears. Cool Cool Cool Cool Very Happy Wink
rc62burke
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2076
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Back to top Go down

Re: Mobile phone booster aerial

Post  hugh62 on Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:23 pm

Mate I've had all sorts of set ups since the old anologue system ,I always found the arial with the highest DB range was better ,a Yargi arial is good too ,thou very directional  ''delicate '' and not mobile .the biggest thing I found is trying to get the arial up as high as possible ,and of course you then knock them around to much in the bush going under trees etc . I ended up with a home made arial clamp on the bulbar ,and one on the roof of the grader ,and just carried the phone between the 2 ,and just plugged the patch lead into the phone ,arials never lasted me long as rough going used to bounce the interiors of the arials to pieces  Shocked .I ended up buying a sat phone .Mate  IMHO  ya probably better of getting one of those clip on sat phones ,that clip onto your smart phone ,I've just come back from the gulf ,and all the locals are using them .
hugh62
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 281
Registration date : 2014-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post  au-fever on Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:21 am

rc62burke wrote:Hi All
This is a question for the more technical amongst  us Wink  .
The Mobile phone coverage has improved in the area's I frequent in the last 18 months, I use a standard Samsung S4 & get service in a few area's others I'm just on the edges of a mobile connection.
For safety's sake I would like to increase the area's where I can gain a connection, I believe this could be achieved in similar fashion to installing a car kit & aerial, is this assumption correct??????

I would like to put together a kit (like a car kit) that I could move from vehicle to Quad or Buggy or just set up at the camp, so it needs to be versatile !!! either self powered or to be connected to the battery of the vehicle quad or camp.

So any input on this issue would be welcomed, I'm all ears. Cool Cool Cool Cool Very Happy Wink

I found the easiest way to get extra distance for the phone was to mount an antenna to the roof rack, what I did was attached a broomstick antenna to the end of an extendable galvanised tent pole, ran the cable down through the pole and out the bottom, then drilled a hole through the base of the pole and through the lower rail on the roof rack and put a long bolt through the pole and rack tube so it could pivot, on the pole I riveted a plate with a hole in it then on the rail above I put another bolt with wing nut so when it pivots to the standing upright position you put the bolt through the hole in the plate and you can anchor it in place, there is a couple of metres of antenna lead coming out of the lower end of the pole so you can connect directly to it using a patch lead, you have to have a phone that you can get a patch lead for if not you can get a rechargeable wi fi unit that has an antenna socket on it to attach the antenna to with a patch lead, also you have to have some securing points for the antenna when its down if you want to leave it attached permanently to the roof rack as I do.

What you do is extend the tent pole out as far as you can go before you stand the pole into the upright position, the cable runs freely up or down through the centre of the pole, once fully out you then stand it up, from the ground up to the top of the antenna I get about 15 or so feet of height and a range of about 70-80 kmls from town,  apart from using it for my phone I also connect my internet dongle to it and can get internet wherever I can get a phone signal usually, the broomstick antenna is non directional unlike a yagi which is directional and temperamental and I have tried these and found the broomstick antenna to work the best and the easiest to use.

I use a Telstra next g tough tradies phone, because it was one of the few Telstra phones still available at the time that had an antenna socket and that you can get a patch lead for, the patch lead needs to have a male socket to go into the phone and a female fme connector that the male fme connector on the end of the antenna lead will screw in to.

This is a base camp set up really not the sort of thing that is portable, on a roof rack or on a caravan, you could make a similar set up for your quad maybe but height is the key to the range you will get with it.

au-fever

au-fever
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 129
Registration date : 2016-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post  goldchaser on Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:18 am

Used to average about 30-50klms extra with about 4ft aerial on the bullbar lee across flat country,had an old flipphone maybe samsung with patch lead,lead and aerial still on car,love my iphone,banking internet etc but geez i wish they could take an aerial,im goin hughs route,not far off buying a sat ph for peace of mind in the boonies,near new ones on fleabay for good prices.....
goldchaser
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1265
Registration date : 2009-03-20

Back to top Go down

re mobile phone booster aerial

Post  shoestring on Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:10 am

If you have a Samsung Galaxy S4 you will not need a car kit...The phone has an inspection port which accepts a patch lead which you can the connect to a variety of aerials...The patch lead is available from Telco Antennas for less than $20 and they also sold me a pre drilled back for the phone for about $25 or you could choose to do it yourself..just need to take a bit of care when using the port, hope this helps

shoestring

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2015-04-17

Back to top Go down

Post  rc62burke on Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:21 pm

Hi All
Thanks for the input.
I have looked into the Sat phone option, but concluded that this option was unviable due to the cost of being on a contract versus the actual amount of time I would use it, yes I have checked into the Sat sleeve for the smart phone this too as far as I know needs to have a plan to be able to work.

The idea behind using the current phone with a range extending aerial is largely due to the improvement in the network which will also allow me to have internet access, I am just on the fringe of the current capabilities available to me so a relatively small increase in range will be of great benefit.
Shoestring, thanks for that bit of info I will check that out!!
rc62burke
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  davsgold on Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:42 pm

These type of powered boosters also work, hooked up to an external antenna and a patch lead to a mobile phone etc. various models for various MHz uses

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/60dB-2100MHz-3G-Cell-Phone-Mobile-Signal-Repeater-Booster-Extender-Standalone-/262003027082?hash=item3d0098ec8a:g:WnUAAOSwo4pYZLzM

cheers dave
davsgold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 5420
Registration date : 2008-10-25

Back to top Go down

Post  rc62burke on Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:26 pm

Thanks Dave , will check it out.
Can never have too much info when looking into this sort of thing.
rc62burke
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Imadogman on Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:52 pm

Lee,
I bought a Thuraya XT satellite phone off Flea Bay - about $500. And have matched it with Pivotel $15 month casual plan. Phone gives good coverage in northern australia and lots of other places. I can send SMS from it, and make calls. On my plan $1 per minute or 50 cents a text. However other people can text and call me at the cost of their plan and no cost to me. Which is really good. So you can text someone to call you and chat all you like. Phone also has GPS capacity and you can send your location. I also have a PLB but for sorting out problems rather than emergencies the sat phone is going to be good. No more chasing hill tops and reception flukes in the bush. When you are in normal phone range, use your standard mobile. for $15 a month, I reckon it is a good price and worth a look. cheers.
Imadogman
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 374
Registration date : 2011-04-27

Back to top Go down

Post  goldtalkleonora on Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:03 am

I can only really comment about prospecting in WA. Unfortunately a mobile phone is not a reliable communications option. We use a real basic mobile phone (Telstra) with a 'RF' 6Db external aerial and get reception in many areas thanks to the mines.....but it is still not reliable...we have a sat phone for back up and have a 25$ a month plan...but it kills us when we use it! Don't forget that sat phones are also not 100% reliable. They don't work when there is 100% thick cloud cover.
goldtalkleonora
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 166
Registration date : 2015-06-01

http://www.goldtalkleonora.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post  djon on Mon May 01, 2017 5:55 pm

If just having internet access is good enough, then getting a prepaid telstra wifi modem, and pairing it up with a decent omnidirectional antenna you can easily install on each vehicle would be your best bet. I travelled Australia for 6 months a few years ago, and certainly using Telstra and an external antenna makes a very significant difference as to the areas you can get reception. If you didn't want a second phone SIM, you could move your phone SIM into a cheap prepaid wifi modem when you wanted to use it, and just use your phone data. Given you are on the move the only practical type of antenna is an omnidirectional one (one that doesn't need to point a certain way). I would suggest you get in touch with On Wireless http://onwireless.com.au/ and give them a quick overview of what you want and they should be able to sort you out (They were very helpful for me in the past). There is also https://www.telcoantennas.com.au/ .

V09
djon
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2017-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar on Tue May 02, 2017 9:53 am

djon wrote: If you didn't want a second phone SIM, you could move your phone SIM into a cheap prepaid wifi modem when you wanted to use it, and just use your phone data.  
V09

Have a Telstra F165 phone/carrier & bar mounted antenna for extended reception plug it into a yagi.
When mine/local reception is available the sim card from the F165 is fitted to a Samsung Galaxy.

Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2028
Registration date : 2008-10-25

http://s4.zetaboards.com/Gold_Detecting/index/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top