MINELAB GOLDMONSTER 1000

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

MINELAB GOLDMONSTER 1000

Post  goldrat on Tue May 02, 2017 10:03 am

For those interested a full report is now available at Detector Prospector .

Cheers
goldrat
goldrat
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2014-02-15

Back to top Go down

Re: MINELAB GOLDMONSTER 1000

Post  slimpickens on Tue May 02, 2017 6:13 pm

At last, a newbies cheaper Vlf gold detector that actually finds gold. Wonder how it will work under Victoria's highly mineralised iron carpet?

Management

Number of posts : 3473
Registration date : 2010-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post  gold bug sniper on Wed May 03, 2017 10:30 am

It will be interesting to see how this detector pans out. Here is a link to the field test below. If it will not pick up a 3 grain nugget its got big problems as a VLF nugget detector. My Gold Bug 2 will easily pick up a half grain nugget.

I must admit I am looking to buy a more automated VLF gold detector to replace my GB2, however it must be able to find tiny nuggets down to one grain in weight or I won't give up using my GB2. A one grain nugget is a gallon of gas, so I don't want to leave those behind as I detect! Its a lot of work to keep my old GB2 ground balanced and running smooth in the varied alkaline soils of the desert, so a automatic nugget detector would be a great addition to my machines. Will just have to watch the reviews as they unfold from buyers in the next few weeks.

http://www.goldprospectors.org/News/News-Details/ArtMID/3269/ArticleID/201/A-Field-Test-MINELAB-GOLD-MONSTER-1000

Last edited by gold bug sniper on Fri May 05, 2017 6:32 am; edited 1 time in total
gold bug sniper
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 88
Registration date : 2012-04-01

Back to top Go down

Post  akko on Wed May 03, 2017 11:30 am

Our local APLA camp is on at the end of the month, there is one up for grabs in the raffle. I'll let you know how it goes after i have won and used it.
Cheers

akko
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2012-08-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Wombat on Wed May 03, 2017 3:49 pm

I'm hoping of borrowing one to try out at our next Goldfield Branch outing. The main thing I'm interested in is "How's it going to go on highly minerised ground around the Triangle. scratch
wombat Wink
Wombat
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 4144
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 on Wed May 03, 2017 8:33 pm

Highly mineralised ground?  that would most likely depend on how high a frequency it runs on.  On all past VLF's, the lower the frequency (KHz) the quieter the detector ran over mineralised ground. Mind you,  lower frequency on a VLF, the greater the depth advantage will be, on larger multi-gram, multi-ounce targets, but at the cost of a reduction in sensitivity on your sub gram bits.
Now unless there's significant advancements/improvements to this VLF technology, I can't see much more happening here.

Cheers Kon. Q11
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 5000
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  kiwijw on Thu May 04, 2017 5:32 pm

kon61 wrote:Highly mineralised ground?  that would most likely depend on how high a frequency it runs on.  On all past VLF's, the lower the frequency (KHz) the quieter the detector ran over mineralised ground. Mind you,  lower frequency on a VLF, the greater the depth advantage will be, on larger multi-gram, multi-ounce targets, but at the cost of a reduction in sensitivity on your sub gram bits.
Now unless there's significant advancements/improvements to this VLF technology, I can't see much more happening here.

Cheers Kon. Q11

Hi Kon, Runs at 45 khz. Comes with two coils, 10 x 6 & a 5" round. Has 10 manually adjustable sensitivity settings. At 11 it has an Auto setting & at 12 it has an Auto + setting. Two detecting modes. Deep all metal mode, which is the deepest & most sensitive & Iron discrimination mode. Iron discrimination read out curser & a gold (non ferrous) read out. Auto tune on start up, 10 seconds. Auto ground balance & according to JP seems to handle highly mineralized ground, going by his show of gold that he found. I think bang for the buck with the features it has it offers more than an entry level detector but at an entry level price.  A small gold machine with that 45 khz. Competition for the Whites GMT at 48 khz. I would say the GB2 will still ping smaller gold at the surface but the the GM 1000 should get a bit better depth. The two coil sizes in the package give options. Rechargable battery pack & also an 8 AA battery pack. But you probably know all this already.
 This detector I believe will be a winner for minelab with newbie gold detectorists. As it wont break the bank.

Good luck out there

JW  Cool
kiwijw
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1816
Registration date : 2010-09-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Wombat on Thu May 04, 2017 6:16 pm

A little birdy told me "Don't hold your breath for the 8th of May as a release date."
wombat Wink
Wombat
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 4144
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 on Thu May 04, 2017 6:45 pm

Thanks for the update on the Minelab Gold Monster JW. Interesting to see how it stacks up against an SDC 2300, for it would have to surpass all current VLF hand held detectors before it. However, if this 45 KHz VLF, can handle mineralised ground, whilst maintaining good depth/sensitivity over gold nuggets, then that in itself, is well worth the measly $1100 price tag.
No, not again. Shocked affraid Now did you have to say something like that that William? Shocked Q35

Cheers Kon. Q11
kon61
Management

Back to top Go down

-minelab-goldmonster-1000

Post  bloodgold2 on Thu May 04, 2017 7:39 pm

from what I have read so far it stacks up for my young bloke, will be keen just to give it a go myself in certain spots for future mining purposes.  Smile  Hey Kon Im happy with the measly price bro Smile

bloodgold2
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2017-04-02

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 on Thu May 04, 2017 10:44 pm

So am I Dave. Compared to the price of Minelabs top of the range, hand held metal detector, its good to see this new range of VLF, reasonably priced.

Cheers Kon. Q11
kon61
Management

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss on Fri May 05, 2017 8:16 am

The Monster sounds like an Ok detector but if it is a true VLF then there is no way in hell that it could out perform the 2300 in highly iron mineralised ground and you should not expect it to. Although I have a feeling that it is going to out do the Gold Bugs and GMts in the All met mode.
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1169
Registration date : 2015-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 on Fri May 05, 2017 12:10 pm

Well, what would be the purpose of paying even $500 for it Adrian, if it can't out do, the 20 year old VLF technology we currently have? Laughing

Cheers Kon. Q11
kon61
Management

Back to top Go down

Post  slimpickens on Fri May 05, 2017 1:07 pm

kon61 wrote:Well, what would be the purpose  
Cheers Kon. Q11

Kon, I reckon it's all about grabbing more of the market share.  New guys when they ask "what company makes the best gold machines?" will always be told that it's Minelab, but then they find the prices too high, so they settle on a Garret AT Pro or Whites Gmt or Fisher  GB etc etc. Now they will be getting a machine made by the best gold machine making company, cheaper than the other makes. Whether it works or not who knows, but at least the newbie will find comfort in the knowledge that he  owns a Minelab which he has been told is the ducks nuts for gold detecting.

PS.As far as Garrett, Whites, Fisher, Tesoro ect,........ a pox on all your houses for failing to keep up with Minelab, you lazy sniveling %&^$#@ lazy2bit *&^%@

Management

Number of posts : 3473
Registration date : 2010-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 on Fri May 05, 2017 1:42 pm

Yep, understood Harry. There are times I tend to forget for seeing things through my expectations only & not for the reasons they truly are.
None the less, all/any new technology, that enhances/benefits the detectorist, is a step in the right direction.

Cheers Kon. Q11
kon61
Management

Back to top Go down

Post  bloodgold2 on Fri May 05, 2017 5:09 pm

kon61 wrote:So am I Dave. Compared to the price of Minelabs top of the range, hand held metal detector, its good to see this new range of VLF, reasonably priced.

Cheers Kon. Q11  

Hopefully it will ping the fine gold in species like the GB2, told my young bloke today the size of the coil lol! His reaction was funny, having played with mine with 14 inch or larger, "what the F##K am I going to do with that dad? I won't get anywhere" lol!

bloodgold2
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss on Fri May 05, 2017 5:52 pm

kon61 wrote:Well, what would be the purpose of paying even $500 for it Adrian, if it can't out do, the 20 year old VLF technology we currently have? Laughing

Cheers Kon. Q11
I guess that just because something is old technology does not mean that the old tech does not work well.

I have a 30 year old Morse Stereo sound system with analogue ccts and 200 W RMS valve power output stages........Or maybe it is 600 W, I have forgotten. Will have to have a look at the spec plate
It still produces fantastic undistorted sound quality that could blow my lounge room windows out if I cranked it up to max. I would put it up against almost any home digital sound system today.
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 on Fri May 05, 2017 7:10 pm

This ain't a case of "If it aint broke, don't fix it Adrian".  This new Gold Monster VLF detector from Minelab, must be at least as good, if not better than past VLF's or else, why would anyone want to update from a good old working VLF, to a brand new VLF, consisting of more bells & whistles, but similar in performance?  
Look, for the ones that get out once a blue moon for a swing of a coil & don't need the best detector at hand for what they intend to do, then I have no doubt, that this new VLF detector from Minelab, will have/serve a purpose.
Dave, I do understand where the young fella is coming from m8. After using the GPZ 7000 for gold & liking what he saw in way of performance, I now fear to ask my own young fella to go down a grade, for the instant repercussions to follow, might not look to good for me. Q14 V10 V33 V13 V12  Q41  Q35  

Cheers Kon. Q11
kon61
Management

Back to top Go down

Post  coreytroy on Fri May 05, 2017 7:24 pm

I couldn't envisage it being on par with a sdc2300, otherwise Minelab would be competing with Minelab's own products.
Not smart business sense at all.

My opinion is to get more beginners into the market for detecting, as a jump from zero to hero, and know all the setting on a GPX etc from the outset is just too dawnting for a novice. If this new detector is a turn on and go for it model, then it does its job by hopefully getting the operator hooked, and gives them a chance at find a bit of yella. Then once gaining experience they could upgrade to a more effective machine. T36

coreytroy
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 110
Registration date : 2009-04-22

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 on Fri May 05, 2017 9:53 pm

Yep & I couldn't agree more with you there coreytroy.

Cheers Kon. Q11
kon61
Management

Back to top Go down

Post  au-fever on Sat May 06, 2017 8:29 am

From what I have read the gold monster is really aimed at the African market where they will no doubt sell thousands of them, most of these people have little or no experience with detectors at all unlike us as we have been operating detectors for some thirty years , so using the kiss principle makes good sense in that market, as having a turn on and go detector that will find them gold without them having to gain a university degree in drop down menu's and switch positions first to make the magic happen.

Having said that I have seen many people here also that are bamboozled by the complexity of some of the later detectors menu's and multiple choice switch positions, just as some people are very comfortable with the process of learning the ins and outs of these things there are just many others who are not and are intimidated by it all to the point where they will still operate older model machines that they feel confident they know how to use.

Detectors just have to be used on the ground to be proven, and the only way really is to suck and see, buy one and try it out, the price of the gold monster is very low compared to say a gpz so its not a huge commitment, but at the other end of the scale if it turns out that it does what it says it will then its going to be a winner, the sdc2300 for all its ergonomic and out-dated battery set up issues is a chit hot little nugget machine if you take the time to learn it and I have never regretted the purchase of mine as its paid itself off.

To my way of thinking many of places you go to that have had attention will still produce gold to the careful operator, but the one bugbear with most of these places is the ferrous crap left behind that makes working them painful, its a well known fact that vlf machines have much better full depth discrimination abilities than those of pi machines, so really if you can get on to a vlf machine that is very capable on nuggets and can help to distinguish gold from the crap then it would certainly have a place in your detecting arsenal.

au-fever

au-fever
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 89
Registration date : 2016-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss on Sat May 06, 2017 8:56 am

kon61 wrote:This ain't a case of "If it aint broke, don't fix it Adrian".  This new Gold Monster VLF detector from Minelab, must be at least as good, if not better than past VLF's or else, why would anyone want to update from a good old working VLF, to a brand new VLF, consisting of more bells & whistles, but similar in performance?  
Look, for the ones that get out once a blue moon for a swing of a coil & don't need the best detector at hand for what they intend to do, then I have no doubt, that this new VLF detector from Minelab, will have/serve a purpose.
Dave, I do understand where the young fella is coming from m8. After using the GPZ 7000 for gold & liking what he saw in way of performance, I now fear to ask my own young fella to go down a grade, for the instant repercussions to follow, might not look to good for me. Q14 V10 V33 V13 V12  Q41  Q35  

Cheers Kon. Q11
My very old Fisher 553D has an excellent All metal GB mode and the Disc mode can  reverse discriminates to the depth of the target Once you have got the knack. it  outperforms my safari in light to mild  iron mineralised ground and the safari is crap in high iron  mineralised ground ... But then the safari is great over the salt.....Old tech or new tech. Use the tool that does the job well.
I have just started refurbishing old valve radios from the 30s and 40s. They produce very nice sound and drag stations in from all over the planet with nothing more than a few foot of antenna wire.
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Gold monster

Post  ttrash on Sat May 06, 2017 10:19 am

Here is a very extensive review from the USA

http://www.goldprospectors.org/News/News-Details/ArtMID/3269/ArticleID/201/A-Field-Test-MINELAB-GOLD-MONSTER-1000?utm_source=Gold+Prospectors+Association+of+America+and+Lost+Dutchman%27s+Mining+Association&utm_campaign=5523d33844-Nugget_31_%28MAIN%29&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_41b4b39251-5523d33844-126754557&ct=t(Nugget_31_(MAIN))&goal=0_41b4b39251-5523d33844-126754557&mc_cid=5523d33844&mc_eid=53cc85f670

ttrash
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 562
Registration date : 2011-11-20

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 on Sat May 06, 2017 11:11 am

Thanks trash.  Quote Minelab; "The advanced Gold Monster 1000, uses an intermediate 45 kHz AND a high speed 24 bit signal processor" This primary combination, greatly boosts sensitivity to gold, beyond that of other single frequency detectors, over a wide range of nugget sises, without introducing excess noise & false signals".   Like I said, it would have to have something better (performance wise) up its sleeve, in order to better handle variably changing ground conditions, where past VLF's struggled to.
As for better discrimination capabilities, I'll leave that one out, for using discrimination during the hunt for gold nuggets might be good in trashy iron infested areas but, expect it to be at the cost of  both a loss to sensitivity, as well as depth, on or over gold nuggets buried in the ground.

Cheers Kon. Q11
kon61
Management

Back to top Go down

Post  gold bug sniper on Sat May 06, 2017 11:18 am

Another interesting thing is the GM1000 machine has a silent threshold. Like the Whites GMZ detector has. Could be good if it still signals on a one grainer at an inch to inch and half. My GB2 is one noisy detector after a couple three hrs hard detecting. Gets tiring. Silence could be a good thing.
gold bug sniper
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 88
Registration date : 2012-04-01

Back to top Go down

Post  hoolahoopa on Sat May 06, 2017 5:19 pm

Now not being released until june. No stock to sell. Good on you minelab.
You were onto it wombat!

hoolahoopa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 245
Registration date : 2009-04-14

Back to top Go down

Post  bloodgold2 on Sat May 06, 2017 7:49 pm

kon61 wrote:This ain't a case of "If it aint broke, don't fix it Adrian".  This new Gold Monster VLF detector from Minelab, must be at least as good, if not better than past VLF's or else, why would anyone want to update from a good old working VLF, to a brand new VLF, consisting of more bells & whistles, but similar in performance?  

Cheers Kon. Q11

lol! yeah kon, the look was like he had been hamstrung. Had to try and get through to him, we have already taken the hard work out of the equation.This will be the mop up machine Smile

bloodgold2
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  kiwijw on Sat May 06, 2017 9:18 pm

Come on guys. It is an entry level dedicated VLF gold detector. At an entry level price. It is not a pulse induction detector at a Minelab pulse induction price tag & so not going to give the 2300 a run for its money. How could it? I believe it is replacing the Eureka Gold Detector which is being discontinued.

http://www.minelab.com/anz/metal-detectors/gold-detectors/gold-monster-1000-

http://www.goldprospectors.org/News/News-Details/ArtMID/3269/ArticleID/201/A-Field-Test-MINELAB-GOLD-MONSTER-1000

JW Smile
kiwijw
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 on Sat May 06, 2017 9:47 pm

Agree JW. I only stated "It would be interesting to see how well it stacks up to an SDC 2300". Being an entry level VLF, I neither expected it to be as good, nor surpass the SDC performance wise, but, many would be glad/happy to know, it surpasses the Eureka Gold in performance.

Cheers Kon Q11
kon61
Management

Back to top Go down

Post  kiwijw on Sun May 07, 2017 8:20 am

Hi Kon61, I guess the question for you guys is: How well will a 45khz VLF detector handle your highly mineralized ground? The 2300 being a PI is the Gold Bug 2 of PI detectors handling your mineralized ground exceptionaly well & that is where the 2300 excels & is so popular. But.... at a price.  I dont have any problems here in NZ with mineralized ground where I detect (very lucky hey) so I am able to run my detectors flat out in the hottest settings. That is why I struggled to like the 2300, my 4500/sadie coil combination leaving the 2300 for dead. Now with the Zed many of you will know that I take the Gold Bug 2 along with me souly to use as a pinpointer with that little 6x3 sniper coil when I get that 14" Zed coil down in to a deepish hole to get a better idea of just where the target is, & also at the flick of a switch on the bug 2 I can go in to discriminate & know if it is iron or not. I can run the bug 2 at full max sensitivty & volume, signal boost switch on & in low mineralization all the time any where I detect. That bug 2's little 6x3 epoxy filled coil is great in itself for just shuffling & digging in to the dig out pile, like a little bulldozer, with out falsing, & so get those sniff out those tiny crumbs if they are there. Chasing tiny gold like that isnt my cup of tea for general detecting but while I have a hole open from the Zed......well it has been worth while that is for sure. Will the GM 1000 be capable of the same, & with out falsing running at full max sensitivity? The GM 1000 has the choice of two coils & at a good price. That is good. At 71khz & that little 6x3 coil one would have to think the GB2 will still have the edge on the tiny gold making the GM 1000 direct competion for White's GMT at 48 khz. Time will tell....

Good luck out there

JW V08
kiwijw
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down