smelting gold

Go down

smelting gold

Post  obeng1 on Thu May 04, 2017 7:52 pm

Hi all, i have a question about smelting gold that was quartz hosted like from leaders and specimens.
The problem i have is a higher than usual silver content in the ingots, gold content of around 84-89% the flux i have been using is from a quick kiln set brought of the interweb and I've tried straight Borax also. These seem to work well with AU from any other host mineral or source were i get 90-95% purity. I'm not melting kilos yet so i want to loose the silver to get better spot price.
Anyone know the trick here
cheers,

obeng1
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2014-07-13

Back to top Go down

Re: smelting gold

Post  davsgold on Fri May 05, 2017 9:34 am

You wont get that result with a kiln and flux, smelting, refining and melting are totally different. to get the silver and other things like copper gone you need to learn about refining.

These kilns only remove the impurities such as dirt quartz and ironstone fragments after crushing etc, many people get confused by melting in these kilns as opposed to smelting which are different things.

There was a bit of discussion on refining here http://golddetecting.4umer.net/t24997-recovering-gold-from-aqua-regia

cheers dave
davsgold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 5496
Registration date : 2008-10-25

Back to top Go down

Re: smelting gold

Post  deutran on Sat May 06, 2017 7:47 am

Ho Obeng1
I wouldn't worry about the composition as they pay the same anyway on the gold content unless your looking for spot price on a private sale.We often throw in the odd ring or chain 9ct and it drops the purity considerably.
deutran
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1584
Registration date : 2009-09-26

Back to top Go down