Gold recovered in slag from pour

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Gold recovered in slag from pour

Post  Travelergold on Fri May 26, 2017 6:19 pm

Hi, just thought would post my good finds today in my back yard.
A fellow prospector has come to visit from tasmania and we decided to do some crushing and panning to see what we could find.
Our first crush was some slag that i kept from laanecoorie gold bash 2 years ago that came off some of our gold that hobo turned into ingots and i also scraped up some slag discarded from others as well. Others probably thought that I was mad recovering it but in a container it went.
Well we got some nice pickers and a total of 2.8 grams total. There was a couple that went .53 and .48 grams. We were so surprised at all the fine gold in the slag. All the gold looked like small ballbearings and it rolled freely in the pan.
So, if you are smelting your gold, keep the slag and crush it, its worth doing.
We have started to pan some of the many speccies that I still have and we never realised how much gold we are sitting on. Will have to buy a gas burner and crucible and make our smelting pot to make some bars.
Cheers TG

Travelergold
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2017-04-24

Back to top Go down

Re: Gold recovered in slag from pour

Post  davsgold on Fri May 26, 2017 6:37 pm

Well done mate, also I crush the graphite crucible and the Hebel block furnace once these have gone past there useby time, it's surprising how much little bits of gold get stuck in the material. Very Happy

cheers dave

davsgold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 5420
Registration date : 2008-10-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Travelergold on Fri May 26, 2017 7:11 pm

Dave, you probably remember me collecting the slag. Has been a long time but now know it was worth it. My friend here is a top gun panner. The fines that he has recovered is unbelievable. All the floating gold even with a dab of detergent he seems to be getting. Just looks like dirty gold flour in the pan and all the black sand is gone.   I have been learning how to pan.  Just one more of those things that i wanted to learn. Another bucket list tick.

Travelergold
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2017-04-24

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top