minelab commander coils

View previous topic View next topic Go down

minelab commander coils

Post  yellowmellow on Tue May 30, 2017 3:34 pm

hi all I really like the commander coils made by minelab I still reckon they are under rated the newer elites and evolutions evolutions are a tad over rated what is everyones thoughts on these coils thanks tim yellowmellow
yellowmellow
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1510
Registration date : 2009-06-24

Back to top Go down

Re: minelab commander coils

Post  mulgadansa on Tue May 30, 2017 4:35 pm

Gday Tim
The ML coils are very good but the new Evo's are something else again. 
If you do trade your 4500 I reckon keep the 12 Evo that you have and trade it with the ML coil on.
Myself, I would just stick with what you've got. No need for the $1500 outlay. I have a first edition 4500 and it's  a cracker. With a booster I reckon it matches or is better than the 5k. The new 4500 is smoother but doesn't  warrant the changeover I reckon.
Cheers
Brett
mulgadansa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 520
Registration date : 2008-10-23

Back to top Go down

Post  joe82 on Tue May 30, 2017 5:01 pm

T04 the evo seems to me to be by far a better coil but the commander still lives in my backup kit for sure, for those that have just got a detector they are well worth swinging and will find gold T06

joe82
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 591
Registration date : 2013-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post  au-fever on Tue May 30, 2017 5:22 pm

I haven't had a lot to do with the evo coils so cant comment on them really but on my 4500 which is a very early one the minelab 11" commander mono is my go to coil for deeper nuggets in variable rocky ground where a smaller coil is required because mostly I run a 14" round.

Also I think that they are underrated as people often leave them in the cupboard in favour of aftermarket coils, but although they are not as sensitive as other coils of a similar size I feel that its ability to handle the ground better than other coils is its strong point.

au-fever

au-fever
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2016-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Wombat on Wed May 31, 2017 8:40 am

Tim there are now only 2 coils that I use these days. 12" round Evolution for when I'm going after deeper gold or working deeper ground. And the 8" round Commander coil for shallow small gold that you can find on surface area and mullock heaps. I think the 8" is one of the best coils that Minelab have ever brought out. I have also found some good gold deep with the 12 Evolution. But in saying that I did find my biggest bit of gold with the 11" Mono Commander coil down deep some years ago.
wombat Wink
Wombat
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 4212
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post  deutran on Wed May 31, 2017 11:13 am

Tim as bill said the 8" commander is one of the all time greatest coils,the 11"is excellent on the 4500 I have seen many good nuggets found.
deutran
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1531
Registration date : 2009-09-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top