Walkie talkie

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Walkie talkie

Post  keeif12 on Wed May 31, 2017 8:40 am

Gday guys was thinking of getting myself a pair of walkie talkies when for when I'm out and about in the bush. Was wondering if anyone has had any experience with any. I have a budget of roughly $500. Basically after the best range especially in rough areas, hilly and gullies etc. Any info would be great.
Cheers Kieran

keeif12
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2013-10-29

Back to top Go down

Re: Walkie talkie

Post  Wombat on Wed May 31, 2017 8:52 am

I bought a couple of Uniden one's a couple of years ago from **** Smith (when they were still around.) I think they cost me about $125.00 for the pair. Make sure what ever you get that they will also take the normal, of the shelf type batteries that you can buy at any Supermarket. This way if your out and your battery pack that comes with the radio go's flat, you can then change over to normal batteries.
wombat Wink
Wombat
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 4185
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post  Vivace on Wed May 31, 2017 9:07 am

Last year we replaced 2 GME TX6000S with a GME TX6150TP 5 Watt Twin Pack. Stayed with GME because of the reliable service over many years, also their speakers seem to be of better quality. These new (much smaller) radios have performed as well as the previous models. The pack cost about $500. Cheers; Vivace

Vivace
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2017-01-24

Back to top Go down

Post  Kon61gold on Wed May 31, 2017 11:45 am

G'day Kieran

My view, I think a good quality hand held CB, should be a part of every "serious" detectorists arsenal, even more so if they intend on walking klms through scrub or remote forest, well away from their base camp. What some people don't realise, is that a good, powerful, reliable hand held CB, is just as important as a top notch, dedicated detector, when searching for gold. That and a reliable hand held GPS.
I generally have my son with me when prospecting. He tends to go in one direction, me another & cannot afford to be let down, by cheap communication devices.
Accidents when walking out bush, might never happen, but find yourself in trouble, a couple of klms away from your base camp/group, in thick forest scrub & then you can ask yourself why, I can't communicate through, In times when serious help is required.
Anyways, enough of my waffle, everyone's finances/mindset are different & each to their own. I/we, use a pair of 5 Watt, Lithium Ion, (car rechargeable), 80 channel "Icom IC 41W" hand held CB's, of which I found to be very reliable, rugged/dependable, to military spec & they haven't let us down so far (Ideal for the type of ground you intend on covering).

Cheers Kon. Q11
Kon61gold
Management

Number of posts : 2290
Registration date : 2008-10-16

http://golddetecting.4umer.net

Back to top Go down

Post  granite2 on Wed May 31, 2017 12:11 pm

We have had a pair of Uniden half watt UHF units for 18 years. They take AA batteries and we use rechargables all the time. Don't buy anything that uses AAA as they run flat very quickly.

Our pair cost about $120 when first bought but these radios are a lot cheaper now. Don't think that even a 5 watt unit will work much out of line of sight.

Ours will work very well over even 15km when line of sight but even a 5 watt unit will not work when there is a decent hill or thick scrub between the units.

By all means get the best you can afford but be aware of their limitations.

Cheers, Jim

Last edited by granite2 on Wed May 31, 2017 12:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
granite2
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1513
Registration date : 2009-10-12

Back to top Go down

Post  rockhunter62 on Wed May 31, 2017 12:23 pm

Just remember though folks, UHF handheld radios are the way to go when on foot. CB radios went out with record players and not everyone is stuck in the ice age. Very Happy

Cheers

Doug
rockhunter62
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2016-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Kon61gold on Wed May 31, 2017 2:32 pm

You are right there Doug. My mistake. The Icoms are portable UHF transceivers, not CB's. Stuck in the Ice age? No Doug. More like the Stone Age. Q35

Cheers Kon.
Kon61gold
Management

Back to top Go down

Post  keeif12 on Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:59 pm

Thanks for all the info guys. I agree the more adventurous I am getting the more safety equipment I want. Have loaded up with a plb and sat nav but want to be able to contact buddies when out and about. Cheers guys

keeif12
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2013-10-29

Back to top Go down

Walkie talkie

Post  sandy2010 on Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:34 am

I purchased a pair of Garmin 650 Rhinos for $600......variable wattage,gps,silent messaging (text) if desired, and colour display screen showing the location of your mate and vice-versa.

Be lucky.
sandy 2010

sandy2010
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 788
Registration date : 2010-06-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar on Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:37 am

sandy2010 wrote:I purchased a pair of Garmin 650 Rhinos for $600......variable wattage,gps,silent messaging (text) if desired, and colour display screen showing the location of your mate and vice-versa.

Be lucky.
sandy 2010

Was lucky enough to get onto this "Garmin Rino two for one" promotion with Johnny Appleseed, best purchase we have ever made. My partner can get lost in the bathroom. Shocked With these units I can see where she is at anytime when we're in the bush. We have a series of text messages stored "Got one" (when we find a nug.) "Smoko" (When it is time for a cuppa) etc etc

Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1969
Registration date : 2008-10-25

http://s4.zetaboards.com/Gold_Detecting/index/

Back to top Go down

Post  Kon61gold on Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:32 am

Got to agree with you there Pete. Just got off the net, checking up on the new Rhino 750 series & looks like the way to go concerning safety features. GPS/2 Way UHF all in one, including that of constantly knowing the position/location of other 750 GPS users near by, upon communicating with one another, via text or UHF.  Not cheap, but Garmin have been known for their ruggedness/reliability out on the field.
Cheers for the update Sandy/Nightjar

Kon. T25
Kon61gold
Management

Back to top Go down

Post  gef50 on Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:07 pm

Kon61gold wrote:You are right there Doug. My mistake. The Icoms are portable UHF transceivers, not CB's. Stuck in the Ice age?  No Doug. More like the Stone Age. Q35

Cheers Kon.  

They are non the less of CB frequencies ... ie CB UHF ...
gef50
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 267
Registration date : 2008-10-24

http://www.vkteksolutions.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar on Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:09 pm

For current & would be owners of the Garmin Rino 650.
We set up our pair at home, calibrated compasses etc & entered our preferred settings.
A 1000+ km’s trip to the goldfields.
When we tried using the “Go To” to catch up with one another I found that the pointer on my partners unit was 180° out. ie: the flat back of the pointer was pointing in the direction I was approaching. We lived with that for the trip knowing that I could locate wayward prospector with my unit.
Arriving home I contacted Johhny Appleseed and mentioned one of our new units was faulty. Without hesitation he arranged for a new unit to be express posted.
Low and behold it was my unit compass that about faced next trip.
The long and the short of this problem is: “user error”
Garmin guru advised me that if ever this problem arises, (not always but can happen) usually after travelling long distance since last compass calibration. Recalibrate the compass  at your destination and the problem will be solved.
Sure enough this has been to this day sound advice.
So to reiterate, if you are travelling long distances to your prospecting patch, “recalibrate” on arrival and this possible problem is solved.

Cheers
Peter

The Rhino sounds the ducks nuts Peter, but at $500 a pop................................................................. Crying or Very sad

Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1969
Registration date : 2008-10-25

http://s4.zetaboards.com/Gold_Detecting/index/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top