Do i take the leap???

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Do i take the leap???

Post  Illfindit on Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:00 pm

Hi guys
I have allways done relic/coin/prospecting with small cheap detectors ,thinking of finially taking the step in spending some good $$ on the high end stuff but thought id ask if anyone else has had second thoughts on if they will get a return for gold prospecting around north qld.
Iv allways wanted to do it and the time has come but want to know if theres any gold still left to find ??
Cheers and advice to help make my mind up would be appretiated

Illfindit
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2017-06-05

Back to top Go down

Re: Do i take the leap???

Post  slimpickens on Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:30 pm

Illfindit wrote:Hi guys

I've always wanted to do it and the time has come but want to know if there's any gold still left to find ??
Cheers and advice to help make my mind up would be  appreciated

G,day I'llfindit, If there was no more gold, this and all the lesser gold forums would have ceased to exist years ago, we aren't buying $3000, $4000, $5000 or $10000 detectors because we've nothing better to do with our money.
Yes there's tons of gold still out there but you'll only reap some of it in dribs and drabs. It's spread pretty thin.  You will either get to love the hunt for these dribs or drabs or you will get bored waiting to hit a large lumper and give up. And there is always the chance that you will find a lumper, if your lucky.....it's just not guaranteed.
Another way to think of your investment in a detector is "What's the worst that can happen". You buy a good detector for $4000, and a year later give up and you sell it and lose $1000. So what, that $1000 should have given you a lot of hunting trips which you should have enjoyed unless you got depressed that you didn't find a whopper on every trip. So in the  end you will come out even. Just remember the rest of us here aren't here for nothing, we're here for the gold. Cheers, Harry

Here's a few of the unexpected, from amongst   the hundreds of dribs or drabs

A 72 gram specie with around 50 grams of gold in it.

A 26 grammer

Management

Number of posts : 3506
Registration date : 2010-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post  Illfindit on Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:58 pm

Cheers mate all i needed ....im doing it then
Now i have convinced the misses lol

Illfindit
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Do I take the leap

Post  Eureka Dreams on Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:51 am

I have allways done relic/coin/prospecting with small cheap detectors ,thinking of finially taking the step in spending some good $$ on the high end stuff but thought id ask if anyone else has had second thoughts on if they will get a return for gold prospecting around north qld.
Iv allways wanted to do it and the time has come but want to know if theres any gold still left to find ??
Cheers and advice to help make my mind up would be  appretiated

Hi Illfindit,Harry has given you great advice...plus some nice eye candy to rev you up Very Happy My advice is yes to buying the best detector you can because your chances of finding gold more often is increased,and that`s what keeps you seeking more..Find a good operator to set your machine up so that whatever detector you choose is set and tuned to give you the best signal response over a metallic target..especially gold Very Happy Alternatively there are plenty of good tips for setting up a range of detectors on this forum..

Dig every target,no matter that you think you know what is in the ground...you have to see it,as many a sloppy operator has left gold targets in the ground because they thought they knew better Smile Be patient and use a low and slow swing...Listen to the smallest changes in your threshold sound,because that may be a tiny bit of gold,or after a scrape or two the target just may increase its signal response by a smaller amount...I love these target responses because most times you will be digging a deeper and bigger target..And always use good technique as you will be rewarded more often than not...Just some basic advice..

ATB...on your quest Very Happy
Cheers Bill

Eureka Dreams
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2016-07-13

Back to top Go down

Post  au-fever on Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:07 am

Cheers and advice to help make my mind up would be  appretiated

You have already been given some sound advice but I would just like to add one more thing, another option is to hire a detector and try before you buy one there are many reasons you will either love or hate this hobby, and if you don't like it you are not stuck with gear you have to sell and probably lose money on, as previously stated the gold is pretty thin on the ground these days and finding places that have not been flogged is pretty hard, so as each year passes even experienced and well equipped people can find it difficult to do well, and there is far more to being successful than just having the latest and greatest detector, its all relevant to time on the ground, research and knowing where and what to look for.

Not trying to put you off but from past experience, I gave the same advice to hire a detector to someone and they went ahead and bought a detector instead and all the gear, and I even gave them places to go where I had found gold previously and even since they had been there and so on,  I received a final email and picture of 1 small nugget and the message read, "here's my $5000 nugget" or something similar, as it was obviously my fault that they didn't get many ounces of gold, and I never heard from them again, that's gratitude for you.

au-fever

Last edited by au-fever on Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:09 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

au-fever
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 97
Registration date : 2016-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Illfindit on Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:21 am

Cheers mate for the advice
All good as im hooked allready ,its all i think about and try to do just needed a push to splash out on the good stuff ,im at the stage that a fishing boat cost thousands and comes with the 100% chance it will never pay it self off but atleast you have a chance at not only finding some $$ from time to time but coild also make some good $$ doing what you enjoy...cheers guys

Illfindit
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  au-fever on Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:47 am

Illfindit wrote:Cheers mate for the advice
All good as im hooked allready ,its all i think about and try to do just needed a push to splash out on the good stuff ,im at the stage that a fishing  boat cost thousands and comes with the 100% chance it will never pay it self off  but atleast you have a chance at not only finding some $$ from time to time but coild also make some good $$ doing what you enjoy...cheers guys

Yes I am hearing you, I spent many years myself fishing and boating as well and spent lots of $$$ on boats and gear with little return really apart from a few nice fish and the hobby and relaxation aspect you couldn't expect any financial return, but similar things happened in that area to what is happening in this hobby, where people have become greedy their actions forced laws and the rules to be changed making it all too hard in the end, for me prospecting has been lucrative over the years and worth the effort, but don't expect to be killing the pig right from the get go, treat it as a fun hobby and don't be too serious about it all, the gold will come in time and with experience, being able to enjoy the bush and outdoor peace and quiet is the real attraction for me and if I get some gold as well then that's a bonus.

au-fever

au-fever
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 97
Registration date : 2016-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Kon61gold on Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:28 pm

au-fever  T06 Couldn't have worded it better myself.  Is there gold left out there still awaiting to be unearthed, you can bet your sweet boots there is. Like all hobbies, It all comes down to how much time/money, one is prepared to put in, to find it. Welcome to the forum Illfindit. cheers

Cheers Kon. Q11
Kon61gold
Management

Number of posts : 2283
Registration date : 2008-10-16

http://golddetecting.4umer.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Digginerup on Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:10 pm

T04 Welcome to the forum, just got to ask your self one question really Wink Wink .................. Do ya feel lucky?....well do ya? lol!

Wayne. cheers
Digginerup
Management

Number of posts : 2326
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top