Pin pointers

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Pin pointers

Post  Muzz on Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:27 am

Gooday team Im looking at pin pointers both for coining & the gold fields same off you may know what is the best all rounder.

Muzz
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2011-05-26

Back to top Go down

Re: Pin pointers

Post  Wombat on Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:58 am

Hi Muzz What machine do you have as some pin pointer with interfere with the electronics of your machine.
wombat Wink
Wombat
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 4252
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

pin points

Post  Muzz on Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:04 am

Thanks wombat I run a minelab 4500 & garrett 1350 VLF.

Muzz
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2011-05-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Kon61gold on Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:58 pm

G'day Muzz

Best all round pinpointer (for your needs) would be the Garret Pro AT.

Cheers Kon. Q11
Kon61gold
Management

Number of posts : 2447
Registration date : 2008-10-16

http://golddetecting.4umer.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Wombat on Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:29 pm

Kon61gold wrote:G'day Muzz

Best all round pinpointer (for your needs) would be the Garret Pro AT.

Cheers Kon. Q11

Kon I think the Garrett Pro may interfere with his 4500, as it did with my 5000. I had to get a Minelab Pointer. And that still interferes with my machine when it is turned on. I have to keep the coil right away from the pointer when in use. It is OK when the pointer is not turned on though.
I found that the Garrett interfered with my machine. It didn't matter if it was turned on or not.
wombat Wink
Wombat
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:53 pm

I did alot of research on pinpointers before i bought one last year and the one that came up trumps was a White`s Bullseye TRX. I was worried about interference with my Garret PI and any future detector i may buy and this one came up as recommended more than any other when i looked up reviews and watched comparison videos on them. The ratchetting feature is good , the depth it gets is good ,the sensitivity is good, the sound is loud and clear and the whole feel of the unit is impressive . This is the first one i have ever bought ,so i can`t personally compare it to any other brands or models and am not saying it`s the bees knees ,but for the $200 odd i paid for it , i fell in love with it and would recommend it as a must have tool in the field .

Cheers.

Back to top Go down

Post  Kon61gold on Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:25 pm

You could have a point there Bill, but are we talking about the older model Garret Pro or Garret Pro AT (All Terrain).  I bought the Garret Pro AT sometime after buying the GPZ 7000 & never tested it with the 4500/5000. Prior to that, I had used both the Minelab Pro Find (of which I still have in my possession) & the Whites Bullseye TRX of which I parted with, for the new Garret Pro AT . I simply have not come across, a pin-pointer, that can handle both, highly mineralised ground & salt water/wet sand environments, better than the Garret Pro-pointer AT can.  Its either they're good at one thing, or the other, or just no good at all.  Shocked  Q35   The Garret Pro-pointer AT is first & foremost a coin pinpointing probe, but works well on pinpointing gold nuggets of say 1 gram onwards, sitting in/on highly mineralised ground. It can pick up much smaller gold than that was mentioned, but not when trying to recover such small gold nuggets in highly mineralised ground. Try using the older Garret Pro pin-pointer or Minelab Pro-find, on moist/wet beach sands & see what happens? Shocked  affraid    Not to say that some of the other currently made or past pin-pointers can't handle high mineralisation or salty environments, but if not specifically designed for the salt, or high mineralisation, they'd need to be dumbed down dramatically in sensitivity, to the point of touching the small found object, to trigger off the pin-pointer.
This is the only reason I recommended the Garret Pro AT as a very good all rounder, as compared to the rest.
Now as for pin-pointers interfering during the operation of ones detector, unfortunately most will do that, especially, when the "switched on" pin-pointer, is in close proximity, of the detectors control box, or when operating the pin-pointer close to, or within reach of the detector coil field strength.

Cheers Kon.  Q11
Kon61gold
Management

Back to top Go down

Post  Wombat on Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:43 am

Hi Kon
I was talking about the new Garrett Pro A/T. We got 4 of them donated by Garret Australia two years ago for the Laanecoorie Gold Bash. Soon as we got them and even before they were released officially in Australia we tried them against the 5000 & 7000 machines, we found a problem with interference from the pointer with both machines. Even with the pointer turned of it still interfered with the detectors up to 6' ft away. Turn on the pin pointer you couldn't get any closer that about 8'ft to your detector. I was hoping the new Garrett pointer would be more compatible with the Minelab machines, but no.
wombat Wink
Wombat
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Kon61gold on Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:14 pm

I don't know what to say there Bill. I'v had & been using the new Garret Pro AT from the day they hit the shelves & never had the problems of what you are saying they have/do. I've been carrying it around with me (pin-pointer in hip holster, slung on my right hip side), close to the control box when swinging the coil, but never have experienced the pin-pointer interfering with the GPZ 7000, when the pin-pointer was in the off position? Shocked   In the "on" position yes, I'd get some interference through the head phones, when operating the pin-pointer near the control box or close to the coil, but not a problem with the detector switched on & pin-pointer switched off. I would have returned it back to where I had bought it from, from day one, if it interfered with the detector whilst the pin-pointer was in the switched off position. A pin-pointer which interferes with your detector when in the switched off position, would simply make it unusable when switched on.  something here doesn't make sense. I'm left speechless as to what you have experienced with the Garret Pro AT's & can't figure out where the problem lies. Shocked  You are talking about the orange coloured Garret Pro AT yes?  Cause that's what i'v been using as a pin-pointer for gold nuggets, (whilst using the GPZ 7000), from the day of it's release, till this very day?

Cheers Kon. T25
Kon61gold
Management

Back to top Go down

Post  bubbazoo on Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:35 pm

I have to Carrot garret and 4500 no interference when turned off use it all the time! Very Happy

bubbazoo
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 229
Registration date : 2012-10-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Kon61gold on Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:17 pm

Fellas, with all new technology, there'res always a chance of a bad batch of duffers, that somehow by-pass inspection & hit the shelves every now & again Laughing Could it be that, because of the way some pin-pointers are designed, interfere less with VLF technology than Pulse?  scratch  V19

Cheers Kon. Q11
Kon61gold
Management

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top