Big Cat attack on Gympie Goldfield Horse (Video/Pics)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Big Cat attack on Gympie Goldfield Horse (Video/Pics)

Post  nero_design on Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:36 pm

'Big cat' blamed for cougar-like attack on Queensland horse

There's been another presumed Big Cat attack on a horse at the Gympie goldfields region in Queensland.

The injuries, which match similar attacks in North America on livestock there, suggest the animal fled when the horse kicked up a fight and the Cat realized it could not take the animal down alone.  Say what you might about scratches on the bark of trees, this is the work of something that isn't on our list of native animals.

There's a more detailed article on the attack in the link below.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/qld/a/36032541/gympie-big-cat-blamed-horse-attack/#page1
nero_design
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1908
Registration date : 2008-11-18

Back to top Go down

Re: Big Cat attack on Gympie Goldfield Horse (Video/Pics)

Post  granite2 on Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:32 pm

Seen scratches just like that on horses and cattle from when they became entangled in barbed wire. Had it been a big cat there would have been similar scratch on both rumps.
granite2
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1521
Registration date : 2009-10-12

Back to top Go down

Post  Digginerup on Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:36 pm

Hmmm V56 some what compelling evidence.....I would like to see more of the right hand side of the animal, T10 interesting to say the least Wink

Wayne.
Digginerup
Management

Number of posts : 2350
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Back to top Go down

Post  koeh on Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:53 pm

granite2 wrote:Seen scratches just like that on horses and cattle from when they became entangled in barbed wire. Had it been a  big cat there would have been similar scratch on both rumps.

Exactually what I was thinking, claw marks would be on both sides
koeh
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 262
Registration date : 2011-01-31

Back to top Go down

-big-cat-attack-on-gympie-goldfield-horse-video-pics

Post  bloodgold2 on Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:06 pm

granite2 wrote:Seen scratches just like that on horses and cattle from when they became entangled in barbed wire. Had it been a  big cat there would have been similar scratch on both rumps.

Yep my thoughts to granite, been tangled up in barb wire, the reasons behind my thoughts are they are very shallow wounds they are also down the animals legs as well as it's rear and the grouping of the wounds is to erratic to be a cat of any description in my view anyway.
bloodgold2
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 130
Registration date : 2017-04-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Inhere on Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:13 pm

bloodgold2 wrote:

Yep my thoughts to granite, been tangled up in barb wire, the reasons behind my thoughts are they are very shallow wounds they are also down the animals legs as well as it's rear and the grouping of the wounds is to erratic to be a cat of any description in my view anyway.
That was also my thoughts!
Inhere
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 933
Registration date : 2009-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post  boobook on Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:11 am

My thought, a big cat would be standing in its back legs and clawing straight down in an attempt to drop the horse.

However, many years ago a mate and myself saw the body of a kangaroo wedged in the fork of a dead tree about 15' above the ground.
This was on the Turon river about 10 miles downstream from Sofala
The body was badly mauled, it was a mob of crows flying around it that drew our attention.
Mike

boobook
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 223
Registration date : 2011-09-12

Back to top Go down

Post  nero_design on Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:17 pm

I've owned several horses and one in particular was purchased simply because they were going to put her down due to an injury from barbed wire that got wrapped around one of her forelegs and cut her quite badly to the bone.  She was still receiving treatment when we bought her.  I've een countless injuries from barbed wire on horses... usually across the chest.  Sometimes on the flanks.  Always perfectly spaced with about a hand-span between cuts.  The shape of the injury pattern varied slightly and some cuts were curved  Some were short and others were long.  But they were almost always horizontal.  Never clustered unless an animal had gotten caught in a fence (which was rare).  I've seen horses scratch themselves on the wire occasionally for enjoyment.

In the case of this horse in Gympie, there's a distinct "starburst" clawmark which is very indicative of a claw-grab that lost its purchase on the hide of the animal. There's also six deep but visible punctures on the right hand side of the animal that run up towards the shoulder and start towards the hind quarter.  These are in a recessed area, making it impossible for barbed wire to be the cause of injury on that side.  The wire would catch on the raised and exposed areas rather than the recessed region. The actions of a bucking horse trying to dislodge a flailing assailant come to mind when you look at the long scratches on the Left side of the animal.

On the left side where most of the damage is shown, the spacing is unlike that of barbed wire and it's too closely spaced for such repeated damage.... and it very closely matches the damage a clawed cat would be more likely to have inflicted (see US Mountain Lion attacked horse below).  Most telling is the curved falloff cuts that match those of a recorded Mountain Lion attack on a horse from North America.

I'm told that this incident in Queensland has now attracted the attention of the Authorities.  Only time will tell as to what their assessment is.  The starburst injury and the damage on the Right Side indicates to me that this is not related to injuries on Fencing wire. There were also several lacerations or injuries to the tail of the horse as well that didn't join with cuts across the flanks.  The most interesting image comparison for me is the image of the injuries to a horse from a US Mountain Lion attack and the first picture of the QLD horse injuries (see panel below).  Even the spacing and downward groove shallow injuries are identical.

Might be worth noting that numerous new sightings of a so-called "Mountain Lion" have been reported in the Gympie region in recent years. If this is indeed the injuries of a horse against barbed wire, it's still quite eerily similar to a big cat attack.

nero_design
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1908
Registration date : 2008-11-18

Back to top Go down

-big-cat-attack-on-gympie-goldfield-horse-video-pics

Post  bloodgold2 on Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:36 pm

nero_design wrote:I've owned several horses and one in particular was purchased simply because they were going to put her down due to an injury from barbed wire that got wrapped around one of her forelegs and cut her quite badly to the bone.  She was still receiving treatment when we bought her.  I've een countless injuries from barbed wire on horses... usually across the chest.  Sometimes on the flanks.  Always perfectly spaced with about a hand-span between cuts.  The shape of the injury pattern varied slightly and some cuts were curved  Some were short and others were long.  But they were almost always horizontal.  Never clustered unless an animal had gotten caught in a fence (which was rare).  I've seen horses scratch themselves on the wire occasionally for enjoyment.

In the case of this horse in Gympie, there's a distinct "starburst" clawmark which is very indicative of a claw-grab that lost its purchase on the hide of the animal. There's also six deep but visible punctures on the right hand side of the animal that run up towards the shoulder and start towards the hind quarter.  These are in a recessed area, making it impossible for barbed wire to be the cause of injury on that side.  The wire would catch on the raised and exposed areas rather than the recessed region. The actions of a bucking horse trying to dislodge a flailing assailant come to mind when you look at the long scratches on the Left side of the animal.

On the left side where most of the damage is shown, the spacing is unlike that of barbed wire and it's too closely spaced for such repeated damage.... and it very closely matches the damage a clawed cat would be more likely to have inflicted (see US Mountain Lion attacked horse below).  Most telling is the curved falloff cuts that match those of a recorded Mountain Lion attack on a horse from North America.

I'm told that this incident in Queensland has now attracted the attention of the Authorities.  Only time will tell as to what their assessment is.  The starburst injury and the damage on the Right Side indicates to me that this is not related to injuries on Fencing wire. There were also several lacerations or injuries to the tail of the horse as well that didn't join with cuts across the flanks.  The most interesting image comparison for me is the image of the injuries to a horse from a US Mountain Lion attack and the first picture of the QLD horse injuries (see panel below).  Even the spacing and downward groove shallow injuries are identical.

Might be worth noting that numerous new sightings of a so-called "Mountain Lion" have been reported in the Gympie region in recent years.  If this is indeed the injuries of a horse against barbed wire, it's still quite eerily similar to a big cat attack.

Hi Nero, like you said mate time will tell, from the many you tube vids I have watched on big cat attacks on all all species of pray I have noticed once the claws are engauged they then bite with their large canines which would leave very deep puncture wounds of 4 inches deep or more? And I agree on your spacing on barbwire theory, but thats provided that it is taught to give it the spacing you have explained.curled up barbwire can give any configuration combined with a thrashing animal to free it self. Makes for a good post mate and other members views. Cheers DAVE.
bloodgold2
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 130
Registration date : 2017-04-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top