What's the worst thing you have had to eat out bush?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Post  bloodgold2 on Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:23 pm

Hi all,Im sure most have a story or events that have happened with the tucker you have had to eat while out bush. Well one that sticks my mind is having to shoot an eel with a 303 and cooking it in a gold dish over on an open fire. affraid Believe you me it was not real flash, but did the job Smile Anyone else like to share there worst meal out bush? Cheers Dave.
bloodgold2
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2017-04-02

Back to top Go down

Re: What's the worst thing you have had to eat out bush?

Post  davsgold on Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:49 pm

bloodgold2 wrote:Hi all,Im sure most have a story or events that have happened with the tucker you have had to eat while out bush. Well one that sticks my mind is having to shoot an eel with a 303 and cooking it in a gold dish over on an open fire. affraid Believe you me it was not real flash, but did the job Smile Anyone else like to share there worst meal out bush? Cheers Dave.

That's one way to tenderize the flesh. Laughing No I've had nothing much out of the ordinary, but if it was necessary I guess some bush tucker would do the trick. I did try a bit of "skippy" the other day and it was very nice, cut up about the size of chicken nuggets then crumbed and lightly pan fried. T06

Thanks to the lovely person that knew how to cook it up this way. T06

cheers dave
davsgold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 5384
Registration date : 2008-10-25

Back to top Go down

Post  bloodgold2 on Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:17 pm

Yeah Dave wasn't flash,to say the least, no oil or salt ect. Stuck to the bottom of the dish like s#it to a blanket. Crumbed skippy sounds way better bud Smile
bloodgold2
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Alan WA on Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:03 pm

Crow...

But in hindsight I was probably wrong. ...
Alan WA
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 297
Registration date : 2009-04-25

Back to top Go down

Post  piston broke on Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:06 pm

We shot a small Untamed goat and cooked it in the camp oven with veges. Bloody hell it was tough
piston broke
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1483
Registration date : 2011-05-07

Back to top Go down

Post  UNCLE BOB on Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:48 pm

Baked beans comes to mind and the backfiring that comes with it later is a killer.
UNCLE BOB
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1325
Registration date : 2010-10-20

Back to top Go down

Post  nero_design on Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:34 pm

This apple - growing on a tree at the water's edge at Ophir - opposite the camping site.

Was probably the flavor of cyanide, arsenic and other processing chemicals leeching out of the river (there's a sign warning about the dangers of drinking the water there).

It tasted of disappointment.  It was tart and though ripe, was watery and only partially flavored.

nero_design
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1915
Registration date : 2008-11-18

Back to top Go down

Post  boobook on Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:23 am

Years ago mate and I prospecting decided to move camp early morning. Packed up, most of the stuff going in the trailer (not much room in the back of a 1954 swb Landy!) including some left over, top rate stew in the camp oven.

Set up a new camp, couple of beers, I said will enjoy that left over stew tonight.....nah says mate, not real hungry, think a slice of toast will do me.

Yeah.. well what the bugga didn't tell me, was that when we got to the new camp spot he noticed that he had forgot to tie a string over the camp oven lid, the lid had bounced off and the stew nicely covered in gravel dust. So then quietly gave it a stir with a stick, put the lid back on and suggested he was not real hungry.

So for me, a tin plate full of hot stew, good slash of Worcester sauce........then the bloody crunch from the first mouthful.....yeah, that was the worst. Mad

As for the other bush tucker, roo (great), emu (need to skin and get the fat off), the favourite has to be plains turkey Smile  
Mike

boobook
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 226
Registration date : 2011-09-12

Back to top Go down

Post  bloodgold2 on Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:15 pm

[quote="Alan WA"]

Crow...

But in hindsight I was probably wrong.   ...

lol! Q28
bloodgold2
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  bloodgold2 on Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:19 pm

boobook wrote:Years ago mate and I prospecting decided to move camp early morning. Packed up, most of the stuff going in the trailer (not much room in the back of a 1954 swb Landy!) including some left over, top rate stew in the camp oven.

Set up a new camp, couple of beers, I said will enjoy that left over stew tonight.....nah says mate, not real hungry, think a slice of toast will do me.

Yeah.. well what the bugga didn't tell me, was that when we got to the new camp spot he noticed that he had forgot to tie a string over the camp oven lid, the lid had bounced off and the stew nicely covered in gravel dust. So then quietly gave it a stir with a stick, put the lid back on and suggested he was not real hungry.

So for me, a tin plate full of hot stew, good slash of Worcester sauce........then the bloody crunch from the first mouthful.....yeah, that was the worst. Mad

As for the other bush tucker, roo (great), emu (need to skin and get the fat off), the favourite has to be plains turkey  Smile  

Mike

lol! you don't need enemies when ya have mates like that Smile Yep the old turkey is good chewing for sure,
bloodgold2
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  bloodgold2 on Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:26 pm

UNCLE BOB wrote:Baked beans comes to mind and the backfiring that comes with it later is a killer.

lol! yeah mate Smile
bloodgold2
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  bloodgold2 on Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:28 pm

nero_design wrote:

This apple - growing on a tree at the water's edge at Ophir - opposite the camping site.

Was probably the flavor of cyanide, arsenic and other processing chemicals leeching out of the river (there's a sign warning about the dangers of drinking the water there).

It tasted of disappointment.  It was tart and though ripe, was watery and only partially flavored.  

Yeah right, now that would be a trap for visitor Nero.
bloodgold2
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  bloodgold2 on Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:32 pm

piston broke wrote:We shot a small Untamed  goat and cooked it in the camp oven with veges. Bloody hell it was tough

Carn't say I have ever tried mate, we don't get them up this way. But in some of the butcher shops goat is the same price as beef. Question
bloodgold2
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Alan WA on Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:32 pm

Steamed huntsman.
I didn't eat it as I spotted it lurking in the spaghetti in time.
Makes me wonder what we have eaten without knowing.
Eating in the dark around a campfire under a tree.

I know I don't like those little ants.
Alan WA
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 297
Registration date : 2009-04-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike54 on Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:56 pm

G'day Dave & All,

I didn't actually eat this, but I did try to taste it.   Shocked   One of those Paddy Melons, I found a large one that looked like a proper watermelon, took out my pocket knife and cut it in half, it really looked the goods.  It even smelt like a proper watermelon, anyway I decided to do the taste test by touching my tongue onto the nice red juicy flesh.   affraid   No    pale   I can tell you I'll never forget how fowl and bitter that was.  I reckon it took me a week or more of spitting and even now when I remember that day I still have to spit.  This was our first trip over to WA.  
Picture from Google

Cheers.

Mike.

Last edited by Mike54 on Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

PMAV, APLA & NAPFA Member.
Mike54
Management

Number of posts : 138
Registration date : 2017-06-16

Back to top Go down

Post  hotrob on Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:23 pm

Went fishing with a mate many years ago. Took us two hours of bush bashing in 4 wheel drive to get into the spot. Unloading the ute at camp I noticed lots of beer (good thing) but not a lot of tucker (bad thing). When I question my mate he said "no need to bring food in here ....... we'll be living like kings on the fish......whiting, flathead, snapper".
Dinner that night was poached ling. Breakfast the next morning was wrass porridge. Lunch was ling stew...... this went on for three days. Where is the emoticon for barffing up fish stew.
Thank god he bought beer. cheers
Rob.

hotrob
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2014-12-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Wombat on Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:11 pm

When I was in the Army many years ago we had to do a survival course. And one of the lessons was how to catch a snake and cook it. Boiled, it tasted like unsalted chicken. I've tasted Kangaroo also. Not bad.
wombat Wink
Wombat
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 4223
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top