West to Lasseter's Reef

View previous topic View next topic Go down

West to Lasseter's Reef

Post  Nightjar on Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:18 pm

Sam Peppiatt from Redwood City, California has been working on the Lasseter's Lost Reef theory for more years than he can remember.
He has made many attempts to have his theory published, but always rejected. Even Bob Lasseter wouldn't listen to him.
He contacted me back in 2004 and we organised an expedition in 2005, as previously reported we had to turn back because rain blocked our progress.
The reef is still out there for some lucky prospector? Somewhere here I have screen shots of Google Earth images supporting Sam's theory, although 13 years have passed and several computers so they are probably out there with Lasseter's Reef?
Read all about it in the July edition of the GG&T magazine, "West to Lasseter's Reef."

Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1994
Registration date : 2008-10-25

http://s4.zetaboards.com/Gold_Detecting/index/

Back to top Go down

Re: West to Lasseter's Reef

Post  slimpickens on Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:00 pm

So  Pete, what do you think is the biggest mystery about the reef?

Management

Number of posts : 3574
Registration date : 2010-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post  hugh62 on Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:57 pm

slimpickens wrote:So  Pete, what do you think is the biggest mystery about the reef?    

No one can find it ...  Q25
hugh62
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 281
Registration date : 2014-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post  slimpickens on Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:36 pm

hugh62 wrote:
slimpickens wrote:So  Pete, what do you think is the biggest mystery about the reef?    

No one can find it ...  Q25

Damn it Hugh... it was staring me in the face all the time. T05

Management

Number of posts : 3574
Registration date : 2010-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post  hugh62 on Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:42 pm

Nightjar wrote:Sam Peppiatt from Redwood City, California has been working on the Lasseter's Lost Reef theory for more years than he can remember.
He has made many attempts to have his theory published, but always rejected. Even Bob Lasseter wouldn't listen to him.
He contacted me back in 2004 and we organised an expedition in 2005, as previously reported we had to turn back because rain blocked our progress.
The reef is still out there for some lucky prospector? Somewhere here I have screen shots of Google Earth images supporting Sam's theory, although 13 years have passed and several computers so they are probably out there with Lasseter's Reef?
Read all about it in the July edition of the GG&T magazine, "West to Lasseter's Reef."

Yes i've read that article .I have to admit I don't share your enthusiasm for Lasseter' lost reef  Nightjar .Having worked out there on a station on the Tanami ,with the lights of ''Dead Bullock Soak '' and ''The Granites visible at night .From what i've read, i'm convinced the man was mad or disalusional or both .And from what i've read ,from the 30's expedition others thought that as well .I'm also not convinced that Lasseter espically the first time he headed out ,and in a particularly dry year ,had the necessary  ''Bushman ''skills in order to have ventured that far out ?? As you'd know that's very unforgiving country .And all the Exploration in the last 20 - 30 years in particular with modern technology ,satellite imagery ,magnetic arial surveys etc etc ,i'd be staggered if such a reportedly rich reef hadn't been discovered by now .Of course a sandhill could of covered it ... Wink And come to think of it now ,from roughly 2003 - 2011 ,whilst I was up in the NT ,there where several well financed expeditions searching for it ,one was financed by a wealthy Darwin businessman from what I can remember ,and they certainly weren't the first or the last by any means ,for lasseters reef .Of course now the biggest hurdle for any one is accsess to get out there ,permission by all the multitudes of claimants over that area ... Rolling Eyes ...No I think Lasseter's lost reef is nothing more than a good camp fire yarn material ... Smile
hugh62
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 281
Registration date : 2014-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar on Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:25 pm

The mystery will probably live on for ever? Wink
The wealthy Darwinite was a bigger scamster than Lasseter. Suspect

Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1994
Registration date : 2008-10-25

http://s4.zetaboards.com/Gold_Detecting/index/

Back to top Go down

Post  Travelergold on Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:22 am

Nightjar, i havent read GGT mag but from bits i have read on lassiter and how he must have got mixed up with directions we wondered if it may have been found about 5 years ago. From my guess seeing the area we think it is, it could be approx 70km east, south east of coyote mine. The gold was on surface and they graded it into windrows and used bucket to pick up.  Would probably been processed at coyote. Do not know if area had more digging / open cut since.
We saw some bucket fulls of what was picked up. It was not real nuggety what we saw. Area is probably out the area but as the directions that have been reported who really knows.

Travelergold
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2017-04-24

Back to top Go down

Post  Minermike on Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:48 pm

I knew Yugo Jack , he worked at Tennant Creek in the 1930's . He told me that the gold specimens that Lasseter carried around were from Halls Creek. A lot of prospectors/miners carried around good gold specimens.
Minermike
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1265
Registration date : 2011-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post  granite2 on Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:11 pm

It should go in the history books along with the Yanks Lost Dutchmans Mine and other stories. I'll only believe it existed when it is found. But even then how do you prove it is the reef Lassiter found, or another one.
granite2
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1525
Registration date : 2009-10-12

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top