Gold Detecting Strategy & Tips

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Gold Detecting Strategy & Tips

Post  Jake Howard on Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:27 am

Hi Guys,

I am heading up to Windeyer in a couple of weeks to do some detecting on a private property with a tour. I am only up there for two days, so I want to make the most of it.

I have been a couple of times now, and in the past I find myself doing the following:

1. Starting out strong and motivated towards the start of the day, but then get tired and demotivated half way through.
2. At the start of the day, I find myself digging every target. Then after a while, I find myself walking past targets. That sounds like a bullet, that's just ground noise etc
3. At the start of the day, I swing low and slow and cover little ground. After a few hours, I find myself swinging fast and covering more ground than apprentice jockey
4. Towards the end of the day, I find it hard to concentrate, so I stop listening for those soft deep noises and only react to the loud ones.
5. Mentally I get tired, and it convinces my body that I am mentally tired.

So I am looking for some tips, and trying to come up with a strategy that will keep me focused for the entire time. Below is what I am thinking:

1. I get 2 rolls of long builders string line, and map out a lane about 1m wide b 100m long. I then just slowly work my way up the lane. When I get to the end, I move the lane up the hill 1m, and go again.
2. If I am lucky enough to find a piece of gold, I will mark the spot with a pile of rocks. If I am lucky enough to find a few nuggets, I will look at the rocks, to see if there is any pattern or direction, that might help me to determine where the gold us come from. Then instead of working the full 100m, I might be able to narrow it down to say only 50m. That way I can be working my way up the hill towards the source gold a bit faster, whilst covering less ground.

These were just a couple of thoughts I had, in order to try and keep my mind on the job. The lanes would just help me to stay focused, as my mind doesnt start wondering "Have I already covered this ground, or Have I missed a patch, or maybe there is no gold here. All I do is just keep working the lane, because that is what my strategy is.

Anyway it might be a completely stupid approach, so I am interested to here what everyone thinks of my approach, and if they have any tips or tricks that may help keep me focus.

Cheers

Jake

Jake Howard
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2011-12-14

Back to top Go down

Re: Gold Detecting Strategy & Tips

Post  au-fever on Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:40 am

Hi Jake

Detecting for gold is very much a mind game and your success in the long run is going to be the ability to put yourself in what I call "prospecting mode" which is really just about getting yourself in the right mind set, the right mind set plays a key role in maintaining your concentration span and is something that you have to train yourself in and will take time to develop, the more you detect the easier it will become.

It is normal to be sharp and go low and slow in the morning, when you are fresh your concentration span is longer and your level of interest is higher, the ground is cool and quiet and things are calm, as the day wears on and you become tired and things heat up, the ground a can become more erratic and noisier and targets harder to hear, if you have high winds and lots of movement about you, high emi, and either heat or bitter cold it will all contribute to wear you down, combining all these factors will of course contribute to how quickly you will become fatigued, and when all you are doing is digging trash and not getting nuggets its easy to become despondent and lose interest in the game.

Remember to take regular breaks during detecting periods and have a good rest around midday, I will often have a nanna nap in the day at lunch time and go back out in the afternoon, after all the gold's not going to go anywhere is it, there are many other benefits out there to enjoy apart from the gold so learn to enjoy them as well, really you just have to relax and go with the flow and the gold will come to you in its own time.

au-fever

au-fever
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 129
Registration date : 2016-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Jake Howard on Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:04 am

Hi Au-Fever,

Thanks for the detailed response, and glad to hear that what I am experiencing is actually something that other people experience, and not something related just to me. I will keep reminding myself to try and stay in Prospecting Mode

I think part of it for me is actually having a plan that I can stick to. When I don't have a plan, it is a lot easier for my body and mind to just go walkabouts.

Part of my problem, is that I just pick an area at the start, and I start working it.. If I come up with nothing after a while, your mind starts thinking crazy stuff, like "I bet the gold is all the way over there, or I should have chosen that spot, as that is where the big nuggets lay or what if there is zero nuggets in this patch I have decided to work, I could spend all day here and not have a chance of finding anything". How do you overcome that?

Also, how do you go about staking out the area that you want to work in the first place. Do you choose somewhere that you just like the look of, or want to go? If it is a hilly area, will you start at the bottom of the hill and work your way up slowly going side to side. Or do you start at the top of the hill and come down etc?

Jake Howard
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2011-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:30 am

Hi Jake, sounds like me exept for the lanes, I wander randomly about in an area I am interesdted in working. I take a break when I've had enough, consentrate heavily on areas I've found a bit on and try to push through all the bull**** I come up with. As you get more finds your confidence will come up and it is easier to stick at it in an area as you know there is probably more there that others have missed. It gets easier, but is still a pain. I use an SDC 2300 as I find a bit of gold more often and this keeps me going, even though the bits are smaller. I found about 4 or 500 little bits last year for an ounce. Very Happy

Last edited by Sparrowfart on Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  au-fever on Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:43 am

au-fever

au-fever
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 129
Registration date : 2016-10-22

Back to top Go down