Newbi member needing some info please !

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Newbi member needing some info please !

Post  Jujeff on Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:20 pm

Hi all
Ok, myself and my hubby are now able to follow our dream by going gold prospecting in Western Australia (we are from the south coast in the uk)
We are flying to Perth then on to kalgoorlie on the 10th of January 2018 for around 2 weeks , our q's are :
1. Are there prospecting seasons ? Is January a good time to prospect ?
2. Can anyone recommend any good tours/guides companies or individuals?
3. If we go on a tour with a company do we still have to get our own miners licence ?
4. We will be using all our own equipment detectors etc but we are getting bamboozled by all the choices , obviously we are heavily looking into the minelab detectors as these are purpose made for this environment, but my q is, what will be the best one for us (well one each) just a heads up I have arthritis in my lower back so need the lightest unit I can find , we also would like to use our detectors in England for other treasures so the detector must be able to use for the gold fields and countryside / beach etc, also are we able to take the lithium & NIMH battery packs on the flights ?
5. At the moment I can only find tours for 2 days and nothing more , we are there for 2 weeks and would like to prospect for most of that , can you advise us the best way to prospect for two weeks ?

Many thanks in advance for any info any one of you can provide to us ......

Jujeff
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2017-07-29

Back to top Go down

Re: Newbi member needing some info please !

Post  Jen on Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:28 pm

Hi JuJeff and welcome to the forum

January is the middle of our summer.. 40 degree heat easy

Yes you need a miner's right.. $25 each
http://www.dmp.wa.gov.au/Minerals/Miners-Rights-2427.aspx

As for gold tours.. well they normally do them between April and September
But you may find someone that can help you out.

As for detectors.. what sort of budget do you have?

Cheers jen.
Jen
Management

Number of posts : 467
Registration date : 2017-06-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Ayounomad on Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:36 pm

You would have to be dead keen to go detecting this time of year ..The heat ,flies , midgies , mosquitoes and snakes are much much less in winter { Jul/Aug } ...Sometimes the temp does drop in summer for short periods but it's not normal ..cheers
Ayounomad
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 164
Registration date : 2008-12-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Jujeff on Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:40 pm

Hi
Many thanks for your reply .
Oh that doesn't sound good , is there a reason they only do tours between those times ? Is it purely down to temperatures?
Ok good to know about licence .
Well my husband likes the look of the 'Minelab Gold Monster 1000 and this is showing a price of $800 , I need a very light one so am looking at the 'Deus 22RC' which in the uk is around £1100
We are more concerned with the right detectors for our interests than price , although this doesn't unfortunately mean we can go to the very latest technology ahaha ..

Jujeff
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Jujeff on Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:14 pm

Hi
Ok with regards to prospecting in January in kalgoorlie and it being height of summer ........
Is there another area anywhere good for prospecting in January where the temps are lower ?
So far we have only booked flights to Bangkok, we were going to fly into Perth then over to kalgoorlie, but as these flights are not booked yet we can divert somewhere else in Australia..

Jujeff
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Wombat on Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:41 am

Hi Jujeff, as I have stated in another post, may be Victoria could be a better place to visit. The Golden Triangle in Victoria was the most richest goldfield in the world back in the 1850's & 60's. Here you may be able to still get tour guides to help you at that time of year. Also I would recommend you get a Minelab SDC2300 machine. These are easy to use, light weight and will find gold. A lot of people over here use them. In regards to carrying the battery packs on planes. I would suggest you contact the Airline that you are planning to fly with. As I said in my other link, contact me by PM if you need more info.
wombat Wink
Wombat
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 4252
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post  goldquest on Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:42 pm

[quote="Jujeff"]Hi
Oh that doesn't sound good , is there a reason they only do tours between those times ? Is it purely down to temperatures?
Well my husband likes the look of the 'Minelab Gold Monster 1000 and this is showing a price of $800 , I need a very light one so am looking at the 'Deus 22RC' which in the uk is around £1100
We are more concerned with the right detectors for our interests than price , although this doesn't unfortunately mean we can go to the very latest technology ahaha .. [/quote]

Hi Jujeff, you are coming from very far so you should have the best chance to find some nugget, my suggestion is to forget the metal detectors that you mentioned, like Wombat said the SDC 2300 is the only light weight metal detector that can give you that chance, also in the period that you have in mind Victoria is the best bet, will still be hot but not like WA. All the best.
goldquest
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 600
Registration date : 2011-04-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Axtyr on Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:00 pm

JuJeff.

Hardly the time for prospecting in W.A., or even Victoria for that matter, but you are more likely to get a bit of prospecting done in Victoria.
The Outback is very unforgiving and hardly the place for anyone without experience and you should at least be with someone familiar with the area. The W.A. summer will have day after day of around 40 degree Celsius heat whereas in Victoria you tend to get a couple of hot days followed by a cooler one or two. You will still be looking at temperatures of around 35 degrees or more in central Victoria.

Your best bet during our summer is in Victoria with the vast amount of goldfields, and with the added bonus of being able to book accommodation close to the goldfields. If you get stuck out in the bush then it is probably no more than an hours walk before you will hit a house or main road. You can spend a few hours detecting in the cool of the morning and then later in the evening as well. If you do go detecting then buy yourself a 5 litre water cooler. It will be more than worth the small price on a hot day.

If the batteries are a problem on the airline then you may be better off hiring your detectors from either Coiltek in Maryborough Victoria, or Bendigo Gold in Bendigo. Weekly hire should be cheaper than daily. Wombat is in the town of Maryborough and this area is surrounded by so much goldfield that most other gold towns are no more than an hours drive away if you wish to explore.

For safety sake, Victoria should be your priority.

Regards Axtyr.

Axtyr
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Registration date : 2014-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss on Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:59 pm

Jujeff wrote:Hi
We are more concerned with the right detectors for our interests than price , although this doesn't unfortunately mean we can go to the very latest technology ahaha ..

Forget the Deus and the Gold monster. You will find more gold by getting down on your hands and knees with a pair of tweezers and a magnifying glass. These tectas do not handle our high iron mineralisation.although will find surface small gold in tough ground....so will a gold bug.
Get an SDC2300 or even an old SD2100 will still find gold.
If you don't want to spend that much cash then hire the detectors when you get here.
Get onto a gold Tour and head for WA for the best chance of finding gold and getting sun burnt. Very Happy
If you go out on yer own then Take an epirb, plenty of water, an eski (wif ice) and some tim tams and make sure your Will is up to date.  Laughing  clown

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=australian+gold+tours&rlz=1C1AOHY_en-GBAU708AU708&oq=australian+gold+tours&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l4.8680j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8l

Last edited by adrian ss on Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:35 am; edited 1 time in total
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1389
Registration date : 2015-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post  bedrock on Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:30 am

be aware of the acute fire danger that we have here in Victoria on most days in summer and even spring and autumn, so you want to know the terrain and your escape roads out of the bush
and get the VIC emergency app on your phone...that is if you have reception... Smile. Good luck....I would re book your holidays to our spring or autumn for a more pleasant experience and chance
of finding gold.
bedrock
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1060
Registration date : 2010-05-22

Back to top Go down

Post  au-fever on Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:33 am

You have been given sound advice about the weather here in WA during January, very few people venture out at that time of the year for a very good reason, as stated the temps here can get into the high 40's low 50's for days on end, been there done that and I can tell you it can be miserable even for us that have experience in that sort of heat, further to that also as stated the risk of bushfire is very high, and if you get yourselves lost you will only survive a couple of days, not trying to scare you but these are facts.

If this is the only time that you will be able to come then a better option would be to stay in town, where you have access to air conditioning,water, showers as you will need a bit of time to acclimatise to the weather, you can do short trips out to fossick in the early mornings as it heats up quickly and could be too hot to go on for you by lunchtime anyway.

I would not bother with the Deus detector as it probably wont handle the highly mineralised soils here and will drive you crazy with the noise, the two machines that will work for you are a Minelab sdc2300 for your husband as it does get a little heavy after awhile and the Minelab Gold Monster for you as they are really lightweight, and come with a large and small coil which you should be able to handle better, it has a good discrimination which works well, I have found plenty of gold with the sdc and have also found gold with the G monster as well but my main use for the g monster is for coin and relic hunting so you can use both machines back home as well, further to this both can be run on either rechargeable batteries or readily purchased standard batteries, the sdc comes with a charger that will do to charge the sdc C cell batteries and the g monster AA batteries as well.

Hope this helps and good luck with your visit..

au-fever

au-fever
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 129
Registration date : 2016-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Minermike on Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:34 pm

Wasting your money buying a detector for 2 weeks. It will take 2 weeks to work out how to switch it on .... Go to Victoria go on a tour and maybe hire a detector. Are you hiring a 4 wheel drive and a heap of camping gear ?
Minermike
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1338
Registration date : 2011-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Jujeff on Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:24 pm

Hi all
Thank you so much for your comments / advise etc , it's helping us tremendously..
Although this is a dream of ours (now the kids are grown up) we are not going to put ourselves at risk by coming in the summer months , so thanks for the heads up with that .
We are now going to come in the winter months , so when and where is the best time to come ?? and where would be the best place to prospect in the winter months ?????
Also , yes of course , we are not coming out to go off on our own,as we have no experience as yet , (we may be pomms,but hey we do respect our lives)

Jujeff
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Axtyr on Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:06 pm

Jujeff.

In Victoria you can usually start prospecting in March but it can still get a little hot so you will need plenty of water. From April up until the end of November will do.

I don't have any experience in W.A. but I suspect that April would be the earliest and October maybe the latest. Other members from W.A. will be able to point you in the right direction.

Regards Axtyr.

Axtyr
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Registration date : 2014-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top