To clean or not to clean

View previous topic View next topic Go down

To clean or not to clean

Post  Igotlucky on Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:32 am

Hi all.
I recently found a lovely 5 ounce nugget within the golden triangle.
I want to sell it, but am wondering if I should have it cleaned first, removing the small amount of quartz host and staining on it.
Is it worth more cleaned or natural? Personally, I like the natural look but that may not help it sell???
Anyone have any ideas?
Also, would ebay be the best platform to sell it?
Thanks,
Troy

Igotlucky
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2017-05-25

Back to top Go down

Re: To clean or not to clean

Post  slimpickens on Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:26 pm

Great work, ugotlucky, now lets have a look at this beauty. Any photos?
AS far as selling it, I personally would not risk such a large nugget on eBay. It is far to easy for the buyer to say he did not receive it,
or that he received the package but it did not have the correct item inside it. Unless you can personally hand deliver the nugget, I'd sell it to one of the gold buyers who advertise here often.

Management

Number of posts : 3564
Registration date : 2010-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post  deutran on Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:59 pm

Hi Troy
At 5 ounces it is best left as is, its in the range of collectable nuggets.
deutran
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1531
Registration date : 2009-09-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike54 on Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:10 pm

G'day Troy,

First Welcome to the forum and congrats for your nice find. T06 Now for your question, what I would do is check out the reputable Gold buyers and contact them and ask what they would prefer to be done, clean or leave natural. Just my thoughts on your situation. T25

Cheers.

Mike.

PMAV, APLA & NAPFA Member.
Mike54
Management

Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2017-06-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Igotlucky on Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:46 pm

Thank you for your replies. I agree, stripping it of its character would be a real shame.
Attached is the latest issue of the Australian Gold & Treasure magazine, which to my delight has my nugget on the front page!! Very Happy
It also won the Coilteck find of the month a couple of months ago.  Very Happy

The Museum of Victoria are interested in buying it, but they don't currently have available funds unfortunately. It would be a treat knowing it was there for all the see.
We will look into buyers as you recommend.

I am very new to this VERY addictive past time and I am hooked.
I have booked to come out from NZ and detect again with my Brother later this year. Cant wait!!
Unbelievably, this nugget was my fourth piece to find. Beginners luck.

Igotlucky
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  piston broke on Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:06 pm

Hi mate, for what its worth, my first impressions were, Don't clean it.

It is a lovely example of a natural gold nugget.

Here is another question i would put to you. Do you really need to sell it?

Gold of that size is REALLY rare. cheers Pete.

piston broke
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1474
Registration date : 2011-05-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Jims Gold on Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:29 pm

Hi Troy

My advice is do not put it on E bay, as others have said things can go wrong so it's not worth the risk. I personally would not clean it, some buyers may like it uncleaned and if they don't they can easily get it cleaned. Dean should know some reputable gold buyers and that's the way to go. I actually met you briefly up at Moliagul when you Dean and your Father were detecting but I had no idea you had the midas touch Smile

Fantastic find, well done mate.

Jim
Jims Gold
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post  deutran on Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:07 am

piston broke wrote:Hi mate, for what its worth, my first impressions were,  Don't clean it.

It is a lovely example of a natural gold nugget.

Here is another question i would put to you. Do you really need to sell it?

Gold of that size is REALLY rare. cheers Pete.

Troy this is exactly my thoughts if you can just keep it.
deutran
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1531
Registration date : 2009-09-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Minermike on Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:25 pm

Perhaps you or The Museum Of Victoria could get it Crowd Funded ? It would then stay in Australia .

Best thing is to keep it in the bank for a rainy day ! You might come across and find some smaller pieces in the same area. They would be easier to sell and let go of .
Minermike
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1254
Registration date : 2011-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Dig24crt on Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:36 pm

The truth is larger nuggets are getting rare Hopefully in the years to come they will realise their true value.
Cheers Dig

Last edited by Dig24crt on Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dig24crt
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 875
Registration date : 2008-10-29

Back to top Go down

Post  Kon61gold on Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:35 pm

G'day gent's

For what it's worth, here's my opinion. As rare or large as a gold specimen may be, gold buyers buy gold, meaning clean gold, free from attached host rock. They are not collectors, nor work on sentimental value, they run a business in the process of making money & rightly so.  The gold specimen would have to be something quite exceptional &/or out of the ordinary, for a gold buyer/seller to give you top dollar or gold price, for a gold specimen, containing gold mixed in with it's host rock. The majority of gold buyers want to pay for the actual gold content contained in the specimen, not the rock content & can you blame them?
Finding a collector who is prepared to pay top dollar for a descent size gold specimen, is a very small market & although your specimen is quite a rare find, when it comes to selling it, you might be after top dollar, but keep in mind that the interested buyer/s are also after top bargain/savings.  Smile  
Now as for selling through ebay, I'v sold over 250 parcels of gold, some in the hundreds of $$, some in the thousands of $$ & without a single hitch.
I'm not saying there aren't any unscrupulous buyers out there, that with every chance, would try to pull the wool over your eyes, for there are & they do exists, just like the odd rare seller, but are far & few in between.  I'v always gone via PayPal Only, through Australia Registered Post (with signature) & have never experienced (knock on wood so far) a single backlash. By the way, I'v never heard of a criminal depositing large sums of cash through a legitimate financial institution, in order to steal it back some time down the track. (Less the current bank situation, where the banks were caught out accepting large sums of black money & not reporting it to the rightful authorities)  Criminals work mostly on the principal of the 'withdraw method', not deposit.  Q35  
The specimen being the size that it is (& in the multi- thousands $$$), the safest bet would be  "payment upon personal pickup only, or C.O.D"

Cheers Kon.  T25
Kon61gold
Management

Number of posts : 2366
Registration date : 2008-10-16

http://golddetecting.4umer.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Igotlucky on Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:42 am

Thank you for your replies.
As you all mention, the big ones are rare to find so I am now just going to keep it at this stage.
As per picture, that is what I found apart from the big one for my weeks hunting. Puts it all into perspective.

Never know what the future holds.
Happy Hunting.
Cheers,
Troy.

Igotlucky
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Digginerup on Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:23 am

Q33  very correct, perspective is a good sense to maintain, the only sure thing in this game is that there are no guarantees, research x effort x luck is the formula, the rest is a mystery, I am however a firm believer in effort increasing luck  Wink .

Wayne. cheers
Digginerup
Management

Number of posts : 2350
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top